Chromebooks are portable,sleek and have alright screens/specs for the price

>Chromebooks are portable,sleek and have alright screens/specs for the price
>32-64gb SSD

>Normal laptops have shit specs/poor screens and are heavy
>always have at least 128gb SSD

Just fuck my shit up. How hard is to stick a alright processor and screen into a small laptop for 499? For love of my life I dont get why companies produce mammoths instead of small products with good specs

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AFWJP5yCujw
youtube.com/watch?v=p_fdqqClAAU
chromebookchart.com/acer-chromebook-11-chromebook-vs-acer-chromebook-r11-chromebook/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why do you need a hard drive? Just use your free Google Drive™ space goy.

Or One Drive.

Maybe you have a life and need programs that take space user

>tfw Chromebook Pixel + GalliumOS

We have these things called web apps nowadays, grandpa.

i put GalliumOS on some cheap acer chromebook

then the sound stopped working on it one day for no reason. apparently this is a common problem with running gallium on this model chromebook, and there's no fix yet.

i miss netbooks, i wish i still had one that worked

I have this happen on rare occasions with the Pixel, so idk if it'll apply to you and your Acer:

>Boot into ChromeOS
>Click the lower right icon bar
>If the volume is all the way down, manually bring it back to full with the mouse
>Restart

If step 3 doesn't work, try bringing it back up with the mouse and then click to mute it and restart

If that doesn't work try muting it with the mouse without bringing the volume up and restart

Sometimes you have to do this more than once to get it to work

i don't have ChromeOS installed on it anywhere, but i'll try booting into it off a stick to do this and see if it fixes the problem

if it works that's weird but i won't be complaining

>32gb Chrombook
>doing everything through ssh or web service anyway
>no need to fuck with cruton or bios/linux install
Goddamn I love being botnet.

>tfw beta tester for Google drive
>unlimited free space for life
Feels good

>cant even run matlab on it
Its too hard to find a good, affordable and transportable laptop

Are 14 inch laptops really heavy to people?

it's not that it's heavy, it's just bulky and awkward. what's wrong with wanting a more compact laptop?

Google's spreadsheet doesn't have some functionalities Excel has, and that for a mayor part of ppl is a big downside.

I love my chromebook. Works great for shit posting, youtube, playing Advance Wars games on emulators and general crouton fuckery.

Just get the new xiaomi chinkbook pro when it comes out soon.
>i7-8550U
>16gb ram
>256 gb ssd
>nvidia MX150
>two usb 3.0
>two usb c
>sd card reader
>full size hdmi
>under 1100 USD
only flaws are no thunderbolt 3, and "only" 1080p screen

Also
>Fuckin hugomous

WHY DON'T

>>Fuckin hugomous

>4.3 lb
>0.63 inch thick

2017 macbook pro 15"
>4.02 lb
>0.61 inch thick

>not owning a chinktop

>30 or so cm wide
Unwieldy as fuck

>macbook pro 15" - 34.93 cm wide
it's a 15.6 inch laptop not an 11 inch netbook, what do you expect?

x220 w/ IPS

>For love of my life I dont get why companies produce mammoths instead of small products with good specs

Thermal throttling.

You can put "good specs" in a small case but it's going to throttle like a fucking Macbook.
It's totally pointless from a performance point of view, the only reason to do it is to trick clueless consumers like you.

I'm 100% with you. This is the best modern portable computing setup that exists currently.

I find my T460p extremely light, and....
....it fits perfectly in my backpack.

People who want smaller than 14" probably carry it in a purse.

or so cm wide
>Unwieldy as fuck

youtube.com/watch?v=AFWJP5yCujw

>I have a backpack that is the correct size for MY laptop
what a fucking surprise, I never considered that people would get bags that suit their purposes

I actually bought the laptop to fit in that specific bag.

Normally would have gone with a 15" model, which fits most backpacks but not mine.

If you carry a purse or one of those tiny girly backpacks the I can fully understand needing a smaller laptop.
But for any straight male 14" should be small enough.

I wasn't aware that wanting a smaller laptop was indicative of sexuality, please tell me more

Let me show it in a picture.

Wow! I didn't realize that was the only way people could carry around smaller laptops! You've really opened my eyes

I'm more of a gay hipster messenger bag kind of fag.

god bless Im not a hobo

No there is also this

Or this

Or you could go the Apple route.

too much hot neon colors. Give me some earth tones and I'm in.

My god! I had no idea that the only way a man could wear a satchel is by looking like a flaming retard. Do you have any other fashion tips for a >Small Laptop like myself? You seem to know a whole lot about what not to wear

Double wielding

On Chromebook. Riiight.
Anyway just buy an SD card.

Please keep dumping your "Gay Models Wearing Satchels" folder! I'm really learning a lot from your obsession

>satchel

- man purse
youtube.com/watch?v=p_fdqqClAAU

My 15" laptop whights less than 1kg, it's white and it's not a disgustig apple. (Also i7 8GB 256SSD, USB3, wifi+bluetooth+sd card+HDMI, a decent keyboard with numpad, heat disipated from upper margin of keyboard so you don't even notice it when typing,)

Yes, it's an LG Gram.

I will only ever get a Chromebook if:

* Decent screen
* USB3
* Deblobbed boot loader (i.e. libreboot ends up supporting it)
* Free graphics driver (i.e. chai project to reverse engineer mali gpus amount to something)

Most of these are the reason I didn't get an ASUS C201.

How can I tell the difference? Please let me know, I don't want to get emasculated on other boards

Fits 14" laptop or bigger -> briefcase
Can't fit 14" laptop -> man purse

And no, that's not arbitrary.
14" laptop is the same size as a C4 envelope, so you can use it to store your legal papers and other important documents.

Dang I don't even own a briefcase! All I have is this b̶a̶c̶k̶p̶a̶c̶k̶, excuse me, manpurse, to carry my laptop in. I wish I was as important as you clearly are, carrying your bulky laptop next to your important legal documents, every single day

14" isn't bulky.
It can't even fit a full sized keyboard with numpad.

14" is small.
13" and smaller is girly size.

not that guy but
>not owning a briefcase
stop being such a pleb

>bulky
Damn dude. Not only are you a faggot, but you're also a manlet.

a) i like being a pleb, it's cheap
b) i like having both of my hands free when travelling, which in the other poster's case = gay manpurse, for some reason

Somone talk me out of getting a Chromebook plus. I'm about to pull the trigger.

There's a tone of Sup Forums hate on them already for all of the obvious reasons. Low spec, ChromeOS, Botnet, etc.

However, If you just want a light weight shitpost machine to supplement your existing rig, then I say go for it.

got a samsung chromebook pro to use for portable shitposting when I'm not at my desktop. the thing is GOAT

>16:9
no thanks

>>Not using RDP to access your briefcase at home

>only flaws are no thunderbolt 3, and "only" 1080p screen
maybe add the fact it's chinkshit, which means you'll never get any support, spare parts and bios / software updates

>Nice display
>8 hour battery life
>very responsive
>ubuntu alongside chromeOS
> 128gb low profile usb drive plus 128gb SD card

Love my chromebook.

Tablets

the plus is absolute garbage
get a pro

Which company makes the best Chromebooks? All I have are ThinkPads

anything with a 3:2 display. retro thinkpad apparently is going to be a 16:9 piece of shit

(((chromebook)))

Can someone clarify this. Can i just install a linux distro on one of those like i do on regular laptops? Running linux over chromeOS is pretty ew

yeah installing GalliumOS is pretty easy, just make sure you don't get a chromebook that's garbage to begin with

if you want to use other distros you might have trouble with drivers, idk

use mr chromebox script and install what you want

The main reason people are disappointed by Chromebooks is because they pay too much money for them. No chromebook is worth $300, 400, or 500. The only correct price is $200 or less, and the correct way to buy these is to get an open box/refurb special that was purchased at full price by someone who was dumb.

Chromebooks are excellent, but you gotta get your money's worth.

t.chromebook owner for the past 6 years

no kidding they pay 900 bucks and are filled with sadness because its a browser with a keyboard

The R 11 is the best bang for the buck. Better processor, 4GB of RAM, 32 GB of storage, Convertible, and supports Android apps out of the box.

Well worth the $250

chromebookchart.com/acer-chromebook-11-chromebook-vs-acer-chromebook-r11-chromebook/

The real problem is that people have no idea how they're truly going to use half the shit they buy. Most people would rather just get one thing that "does it all" than buy a few specialized devices that excel at their roles.

IMO it's really hard to go back once you've experienced 10+ hours of battery life though. I have my desktop for games and more intense applications, so I don't need a mediocre laptop that tries and fails to do it all.

It's an even better bang for buck at ~160usd

Using an acer chromebook 14 right now, love it. Just wish they would release android apps for it already, plus the lack of SD card is a huge drawback

But $200 for a 1080p IPS laptop with an intel celeron and 4GB of RAM is a pretty tough deal to beat. plus installing crouton + linux adds a huge amount of functionality

I wouldn't mind a chromebook, but installing Linux on it is a hassle. I mean the distro the owner judges fit, not a chrooted Ubuntu

Any opinions on he Asus C302? It seems better than the Chromebook plus, but worse than the pro.

>kaby lake
no thanks might as well burn down my house
just give me a ryzen/raven ridge laptop and i'm good

wtf is thunderbolt 3? I don't speak dicksucking applefag

chromebook or t420, the 10h batterylife on some chromebooks is a huge selling point for me but i'm an archfag, does the t420 have 8-10h battery life and is there a chromebook i can install arch on?

Spoonfeed me bros.

>non IPS display
>be this young

go to /tpg/ they'll tell you what's up

i installed arch on my 11 acer with minor problems one would expect from doing so