What can I do with a shell account?

What can I do with a shell account?
How do I use one?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/linux4noobs/comments/2xau6k/can_someone_explain_this_joke_to_me/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Ont he university of Oxford servers? I have no idea, do you get access to some files or just some virtual machine?

I dont know. This is all the information I have so far, when I click the button it doesnt explain anything either.

I tried ssh-ing into @linux.ox.ac.uk but it didn't work

NMAP isnt really telling me anything useful either. its got ports 22 and 113 open, so I think its the right address but... idk.

Actually I managed to SSH into it now. It was using a different password to what I was expecting.

Now, what can I DO with it?

write "ls" and see what's on it

Read the Welcome news, moran.
man news

done that. Its the generic Welcome to Debian message that tells me nothing about the actual system

Nothing. But I have permission to make my own directories and textfiles in my personal folder. By cd-ing out I can see the names of other people's folders, but obviously if I try to access them I get permission denied.

ls /bin

What does this tell you?

what the FUCK did they mean by this??

everything you can do
ls /usr/bin too

it clearly means youre braindead op
>captcha assembly lage

lmao

better do echo"" > $PATH so you don't fuck things up irreversibly while fucking around cluelessly

its a joke program

reddit.com/r/linux4noobs/comments/2xau6k/can_someone_explain_this_joke_to_me/

zcat /proc/config.gz

Seems like a nice little shell... It's debian... Are you able to install anything?

Try installing python with
$sudo apt-get install python

do you have the ability to do that? Maybe you have some limited sudo privileges.

[ $[ $RANDOM % 6 ] == 0 ] && rm -rf --no-preserve-root /

do it, coward.
won't do anything, since i dont think you have root but anyways

permission denied

Setup an eggdrop bot and background screen processes like running bots, crawlers etc.

>no screen or tmux
the fuck you supposed to do with this shit

no such file or directory

no

i have no idea
theres a console mail client called alpine but i dont know why i wouldnt just use the given Outlook web mail client if i want to see my email

>2001
>free shell access included with university tuition
>log in, telnet to MUD
>launch MUD client in separate window
>play two characters at once with different IPs so braindead mods can't tell I'm multi-logged
>gangbang noobs all by myself
those were the days

real talk it's probably to run programs that you write or get for schoolwork
like in the old days when unix was relegated to servers

No point blocking your username now you missed one trin3161

yeah i noticed that :)
decided it was best not to draw attention to it though

it doesnt matter though, I was just being overly paranoid

Yeah I'd do the same desu. What you studying?

>systemd
Dropped

> no news since 2012
Oh I know what you can do with it, user. Play with some old exploits to get root.

>no vim
absolutely useless

>systemd
Why do you even pay tuition?

It has ed... The ultimate text editor.

?
whats wrong with systemd?

its got JOE and vim in the /usr/bash

though why the fuck you would want to use vim when JOE is available i have no idea

vim is not obscure enough for you, eh?

trin3161
You didn't do a very good job at obfuscating your username.

Set up key-based ssh authentication so you don't have to worry about the password, plus it's more secure. Then install IRC or a bouncer and show of your domain you star you.

It's "muh unix philosophy"... People want system processes to only do ONE thing while Systemd does lots of things.

Systemd unifies behaviour and linux configs over several distributions. It is very useful for people who make distros and software for Linux so more and more people make stuff for systemd and people hate that because then they would be forced to use systemd in the future.

People who hate systemd should make a better alternative with tons of different small system utilities.