Removal of the search bar to make it look more like chrome

>removal of the search bar to make it look more like chrome
>removal of legacy addons in hopes of Chrome extension ports
>tons of Chromium code already in Firefox
>Pocket Botnet can NOT be removed completely and returns after every version upgrade.
>Telemetry

bleepingcomputer.com/news/software/firefox-57-will-hide-search-bar-and-use-a-uni-bar-approach-like-chrome/

Firecucks, feel free to defend this. Firefox is not better than any other browser and there is no point in wasting time on this slow piece of shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

itsfoss.com/mozilla-funding-india/
github.com/mozilla/pdf.js/
news.softpedia.com/news/chromification-continues-firefox-may-use-chrome-s-pdf-and-flash-plugins-508832.shtml
wiki.mozilla.org/Mortar_Project
vivaldi.com/source/?lang=en_US
vivaldi.com/privacy/vivaldi-end-user-license-agreement/
github.com/ghacksuserjs/ghacks-user.js
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>a challenger appears

Use ESR 52

I've switched to Vivaldi quite some time ago.

poo in the loo fox

This, sadly.
itsfoss.com/mozilla-funding-india/

Firefox is now trannyFox, it wants to be something that isn't and ended becoming some kind of Frankenstein with their penis (the addons feature) chopped up

deignated shitting browser

I agree Mozilla is turning Firefox to shit, but are there seriously people who still used the search bar? I've had it removed and have been using the "uni" bar since like, Firefox 15

Icecat doesn't have these problems.

recently switched to vivaldi and keeping it.

>Icecat doesn't have these problems.
not yet...

So you have proof it will?

you have proof it won't
have you seen a fork of ff57 yet with all the shit removed?

You have the burden of proof my friend, you're stating that you somehow have future knowledge that Icecat will turn into botnet so please give me the proof.

OP embarrassed himself once again.

Also, about time they gave us more options - I've been hiding search bar for ages.

May as well be the winner already

>removing features is giving you features

That's not the biggest problem and you know it. The Chrome code in Firefox, Pocket, killing off xul addons are the real problems.

I like to choose if I want something I type auto-completed.
Also It's easy to search bing,wikipedia etc. with it.

what the fuck, is now a option instead of the classic drag and drop easy customization? RIP firefox

STFU stallman

you can disable pocket in about:config
what chrome code. and firefox still offers better privacy options.
removing xul is a good decision. it will allow them to have better performance, security, and they wont have to worry about breaking extensions uring updates.

>you can disable pocket in about:config
And as I said it will return after a version upgrade.
Why does this freedom loving Browser not give you the option to remove that crap completely and forever?
Chrome and Vivaldi don't come bundled with such bloatware.

vivaldi and chrome violate your privacy more than firefox. you can never fully disable data collection with vivaldi or chrome either. at least it is possible in firefox. I havent had any problems when updating firefox either. until it happens than I will bitch about it

>The Chrome code in Firefox
Like the third time this has been mentioned in this thread. I'm calling bullshit. Show us this Chrome(ium) code in Firefox or you're a lying faggot trying to spread FUD.

They are using the same pdf implementaion as chrome. Not the code that collects user data and impossible to disable.

Turning data collection off on Vivaldi must mean it's secretely continuing to collect data... You know that you could check the vivaldi source code to prove your claim. Otherwise there is no point in continuing sice firecucks believe what they want.

So you're telling that this
github.com/mozilla/pdf.js/
is the same implementation that's used in Chromium, and the Chromium team wrote it and not Mozilla? Is this what you're trying to say?

Did you read the OP link?
news.softpedia.com/news/chromification-continues-firefox-may-use-chrome-s-pdf-and-flash-plugins-508832.shtml
It's PDF and Flash already and will get more with web extensions.

BRAVE BTFO AHAHAHAHA

Oh, so there currently ISN'T any Chrome code in Firefox, and might not ever be. Thanks for clearing that up.

That's what the article in the OP is saying. Is it a bad article?

>announced plans
>we're going to eventually test
>we might
>if this works out, we may

Yeah, that's what I thought. No Chrome code in Firefox.

Someone post uncucked browsers

And then post uncucked browsers for iphone

Firefox

Firefox

Search Bar is an IT diarrhea that became popular because of Firefox and then it landed everywhere, including fucking File Explorer in Windows.

Even IE 5.5 had an "omnibox" because it was just a natural fucking default and it was in 1999.

wiki.mozilla.org/Mortar_Project

Enjoy living in your bubble. That shit is coming.

if you don't want an early 2000's browsing experience you use chrome

fucking google shill

You have no way of predicting whether it will or not, and you don't care either way. In your mind, it's already a done deal because you need your weekly "ITZ HABBENING LE BOTNET" fix. Besides, do you really give a fuck if Mozilla decides that Chromium's PDFium is better than PDF.js and makes the switch? Oh no, a new (and arguably better) PDF reader has been patched into Firefox. Truly is this the work of CIA Niggers, and the entire project has been compromised by government surveillance botnet code. Buy a tent and head for the woods.

Daily reminder that google pays people to infiltrate mozilla and turn firefox into a similar but slightly worse version of google chrome thereby eliminating anyone's desire to use anything but their own browser.

Firefox (male)

Fix the Android version.

>closed source

vivaldi.com/source/?lang=en_US

Was I thinking of a different browser?

I dunno, were you?

Was it ever closed source?

No.

I use the search bar. I use an addon that gives me the option to use whatever I type into the search bar as a highlighter or "word find within page". So cash.

Then I guess I was. Maybe Opera.

that's just the modifications they made to chromium. the main part of vivaldi will and has always been closed source.

So what you're saying is that the browser can't be built from the source provided on the page I linked?

dunno, i'd assume so. basically they're required to open source their changes to the chromium stuff (BSD license), but not the stuff they build on top of chromium (which is what makes vivaldi vivaldi, mostly).

The BSD license doesn't require that, but Chromium still has some LGPLed code from WebKit/KHTML

IceCat
WaterFox
Pale Moon
Iridium
ungoogled-chromium
QupZilla
>iphone

No, you weren't. Vivaldi might be open-sores, but it's proprietary nonetheless.
>Vivaldi End User License Agreement". vivaldi.com [...] Subject to the terms and conditions herein, Vivaldi hereby grants You a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable license to install and use the Software and Services for its intended purpose. [...] Without limiting the foregoing, you are neither allowed to (a) adapt, alter, translate, embed into any other product or otherwise create derivative works of, or otherwise modify the Software ; (b) separate the component programs of the Software for use on different computers; (c) reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble or otherwise attempt to derive the source code for the Software, except as permitted by applicable law; or (d) remove, alter or obscure any proprietary notices on the Software or the applicable documentation therein.

vivaldi.com/privacy/vivaldi-end-user-license-agreement/

I'm running Nightly and just updated.
1. Search bar is still there. Even if they remove it by default you can enable it. So this is a non-issue.
2. Removing legacy addons wasn't a bad move when you get a much better performance. All Chrome addons are available on Firefox.
3. Pocket does NOT reinstall every version update. I just checked, it's still set to "enabled = false". It's not made by Microshit, it will remember your settings after updates.
4. Telemetry is a non-issue and can be disabled.
5. It feels as fast as chrome and you can't tell a difference between the two.

So, everything you just said is bullshit.
>not better than any browser
You can't name a better browser. It's customizable, fast and respects the end user. Anything based on chromium is shittier and does not. So if anything it's an improved version of Chrome, not a Chrome-clone.

>Pale Meme
>uncucked
lmao

Please tell me you don't actually care about a literal jew extension.
Sure it's retarded the fucking furry marked it as malware, but so far that's the worst thing about Pale Moon. If you suffer from amnesia, let me remind you a large chunk of Sup Forums was practically bathing it with their saliva.
Besides, it's not the only browser I listed now is it?

>your browser your way
>removes an extension because he doesn't like it
Pale Moon is cucked.

>defending kikes
>lalalala I can't hear you ecks dee
Last (You) shitlord. Enjoy your botnet.

>missing the point this hard
It doesn't matter what the extension is. If it isn't literal malware, then banning it is cucking your users. Like you said, it's not the only one on that list, so why would you ever use it?

>removing search bar
if you don't instantly remove this yourself in firefox you're a black female

There is no hope left.

Just change the search engine, you fucking retard

They're fucking retarded.
>be GNUtards and fight for freedoms.
>have a choice of using Searx, an open source search engine which respects your freedoms.
>have a choice of using Qwant, an EU based search engine which respects your freedoms.
>have a choice of using StartPage, a Google search renderer which makes your searching anonymous and effectively disconnects you from Google. So it kinda respects your freedoms, but delivers slow results.
>use fucking DuckDuckGo which allegedly tracks users and sells their browsing info. Also put Google, Yahoo and Bing as the secondary search engines. Not even include the 3 superior options (Searx/Qwant/SP).
How can they fuck up so bad?

>brave caters to open source respecting search engines more than other browsers
goddamn eich at it again

I would rather use an "allegedly" compromised search engine than one that openly uses the Bing network for advertisements and search results.

well what do I use on iphone then fuck

I HATE a browser taking what I type into the address bar and turning it into a search. Fortunately Firefox still lets you disable this behavior, not sure when that is going away though.
Seriously, I typed in a local IP address while setting up a device, dont fucking google that shit, let me refresh till it works!

First thing I did when installing Firefox was removing the search bar.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe Mozilla only cares about the data collection statistics when determining which features to keep or remove, and that by not allowing them to collect this data you're just telling them you don't care what happens to the software in the future?

yes

Okay then.

Noob here (please be gentle). Can I at least fuck Firefox's telemetry and enhance privacy with this?

github.com/ghacksuserjs/ghacks-user.js

Please...

poop

>>removing features
It's more like changing defaults

You don't need that, just use IceCat or Waterfox. Hell, just flip the switches in Firefox.

>proprietary
Firefox isn't fully open source?

They're using it to mean in-house developed, not nonfree.

That seems like a poor choice of words.

It' a poor article

Why are IceCat and Nightly so garbage on mobile? I'm just using basic FF at this point.

You're seriously implying IceCat will shoulder maintaining a fully disenfranchised fork of Firefox?

Are you retarded?

Wow, Firefox is experimenting wether or not they're going to merge open source code.

Surely this must mean Firefox is a botnet now and will send all your info to Google.

Fucking nigger.

i love focus.

>Found it for the first time when i salvaged my old android tablet.
>First site i go to is Sup Forums.
>Ads everywhere

>wiki.mozilla.org/Mortar_Project
Team
Peter Van der Beken - Mortar Project Technical Lead/Architect
Evelyn Hung - Engineering Lead
Louis Chang - Platform Engineer
Ya-Chieh Wu - Platform Engineer
Bruce Sun - Platform Engineer
Luke Chang : Frontend Engineer
William Hsu - QA
Vance Chen - Engineering Program Manager

Looks like an asian botnet coming

well fuck

why would you want two search bars?

so much for diversity.

don't worry, it's easy peasy to remove the botnet ^^"
$ grep ^user user.js | wc -l
plus pic related... et voilĂ , you have the perfect browser
you also have wasted 12 hours of your waking tim but hey who needs a life when you can spend countless hours playing with your browser settings

don't you enjoy the FREEDOM?

>freedom
>mozilla
choose one

I've been on Vivaldi for a year, I feel no need to switch to anything else. Also the founder is publicly critical of Google.

Use waterfox it doesn't have the pocket thingy

I just have to reinstall disable indexeddb and refcontrol to bypass paywalls and then I'm done
Sadly I had to refresh the default profile after changing release channel because of some incompatibilities (at least two user preferences do not behaves similarly to the release channel and webbums went kaboom) ; I had to move from the release to the beta because of some majour quirks in uMatrix and the like which were fixed in FF56+ and NOT backported because all devs are fucking busy with webextensions and... pls kill me

Fucking same, I want to use nightly because it's noticably quicker on my phone but a lot of pages are broken as hell.