/spg/ - Smartphone General - iPhone 8 Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago (outdated - blame /csg/)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:

Here's what to expect from today's Apple iPhone X event
gsmarena.com/heres_what_to_expect_from_apples_iphone_x_event-news-27217.php

Samsung hopes to launch foldable phone in 2018
gsmarena.com/samsung_hopes_launch_foldable_phone_2018-news-27220.php

HTC U11 gains 1080p/60 video mode in the UK
gsmarena.com/htc_u11_gains_1080p_60_video_mode_in_the_uk-news-27225.php

Google’s ‘Baywolf’ headphones likely revealed in images, along w/ more ‘Bisto’ functionality
9to5google.com/2017/09/11/google-baywolf-headphones-design-images-bisto/

Andromeda (Rootless Substratum Theme Engine on Android Oreo) is now LIVE
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=projekt.andromeda&hl=en&gl=us

Deal: Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact for £400 (it's normally £500)
gsmarena.com/deal_sony_xperia_xz1_compact_for_gbp_400-news-27204.php

BlackBerry confirms Priv will not get Android Nougat
crackberry.com/blackberry-confirms-priv-will-not-get-android-nougat#J8It4RAM2hB7UvFz.97

old

Other urls found in this thread:

sammobile.com/2017/06/27/samsung-ui-fluidity-problem-needs-fixing
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/04/samsung-galaxy-s8-review-shiny-new-hardware-meets-old-software-habits/5/#h2
phonearena.com/phones/size/Samsung-Galaxy-S8,Sony-Xperia-XZ1,LG-V30/phones/10311,10277,10577
reuters.com/article/us-usa-stocks-apple/apple-tops-800-billion-market-cap-for-first-time-idUSKBN1852G3
youtube.com/watch?v=McvLyEYwVvg
p-events-delivery.akamaized.net/17oiubaewrvouhboiubasdfv09/m3u8/atv_mvp.m3u8
p-events-delivery.akamaized.net/17oiubaewrvouhboiubasdfv09/m3u8/hls_mvp.m3u8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for fuck Samsung

fuck samsung

FUCK SAMSUNG

FUCK A SAMSHIT

Fuck off iToddler.

nth for no need to upgrade from Moto G 2013

How usable is an iPhone 4S in this day and age if you only need to call, text, take the occasional photo and use GMail?

>t. hasn't owned a samsung in generations

Are you morons really so retarded as to think your opinion is at all valid?

More so that yours samshill

Ni Hao
ho ho

>responding to low effort lithuanian shitposting
kys

Don't buy Samshit phones

sammobile.com/2017/06/27/samsung-ui-fluidity-problem-needs-fixing

>Of all the current generation high-end phones that I have used (and I’ve used most of them), the Galaxy S8 and S8+ have the worst performance when it comes to scrolling and smoothness of UI. Even though the LG G6 and the Google Pixel have the previous-generation Snapdragon 821 processor, they fare better in this regard. Much cheaper phones from Xiaomi have a smoother UI as well.

arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/04/samsung-galaxy-s8-review-shiny-new-hardware-meets-old-software-habits/5/#h2

>Actual in-app performance on the Galaxy S8 is not great. The Google Pixel raised the bar for what smooth Android performance looks like, and the Galaxy S8 just can't keep up. In the above picture you see Android's built-in GPU profiler mode. Each vertical line is the time it takes to draw a single frame, with the horizontal green bar representing 60FPS. Bars under the green line rendered in time, resulting in smooth 60FPS scrolling. Bars that overshoot the line took too long to render, resulting in a stutter in the UI animation.

>Even in the lowest resolution possible—1480×720—the Galaxy S8 still drops a ton of frames when scrolling complicated apps like the Play Store. The highly optimized Google Pixel—at its full 2560×1440 resolution—is easily getting frames in on time. And even if things do slow down, there's a sizable amount of render time still.

>No matter what resolution you pick on the Galaxy S8, scrolling (especially scrolling slowly) has this weird stutter to it and a slight ghosting effect. Not everyone is sensitive to small performance issue like this, but if you are, you'll find the S8 a little unpleasant to use. I wish Samsung focused more on optimizing the whole display and GPU stack to hit 60FPS and run more smoothly, rather than adopting the raw benchmark focus the company seems to have now.

Curved screens are absolute garbage.

guess which phone is Samsung

I thought so too until I owned the Note8.

I see no reason why i'd go back now, this is by far the best screen you can currently purchase in a smartphone, bar none.

Any update on this? I noticed this at first on my S8, but it went away after some updates, normal scrolling through apps is smooth. Play store as well.

What's Samsungs problem? They should have enough money to developer the most beautiful and fluid android ui.

well go enable GPU profiling in developer settings and see what it looks like

BLOATED

place your bets on how many Samshitfags will suicide today

hopefully all of them

Report the samefag spammer.

It will be able to complete those tasks, but you won't be able to download an apps.

you got me

Laugh at the asshurt shill

The iPhone 6s is literally the pinnacle of phone design, everything afterwards is pointless.

>muh 6 gorillion lithuanian VPN's
Go back to /csg/ you dumb shitstain.

I just posted "place ur bets" and "bloated" you moron

>muh lithuanian boogeyman

>being this butthurt

>butthurt Eesti

Choke on my balls Iver.

you're supposed to scroll up an down

>gooks can't into phone design

more news at 12

Look at where I am on the page retard, do you think i magically opened it up to mid-page?

wew

>how so?
China is the "big evil" of earth, giving them money for their independent industries is bad news

>China is the "big evil"
is that what Fox News told you?

Place your bets on how many interacial couples there will be on this iPhone reveal

No, but they are the greatest threat to western values. they're responsible for north korea still being a thing, they have fucked up tribalist values, and they're an economic super power. stop encouraging it.

drumpf pls

phonearena.com/phones/size/Samsung-Galaxy-S8,Sony-Xperia-XZ1,LG-V30/phones/10311,10277,10577

click "view side by side"

I'm not even right leaning. Or American

I don't go to phonearena, their site wont load without me disabling half my ad blockers and other privacy shit.

>you have to stretch your thumb all the way up to the top left corner to hit the back button

Got my note 8 looks gorgeous. Need to wait for fucking root now. Case and plastic screen protector come Wednesday. I went forever on my note 4 with neither and its still fine. I dropped it twice over the years though once onto a metal drain in a mechanics shop and Im 6'3''. This thing feels less durable I hate the fucking material on the outside.

Sure it looks shiny and nice but the note 4 metal frame and textured plastic something back were the pinnacle of no case.

Plastic screen protectors are DICK on the Note series. The Spen loses most of it's functionality.

Love the finger print reader on the back its easy to reach. Though I keep thinking about how finger print means cops can search it. Never get bugged by the cops though so its hard to justify typing the password in every time.

Change the settings so if wrong password is entered 15 times the phone wipes itself to stock.

Also have it set to require password before boot. That way even if they have your finger print they can't get in assuming you've turned it off before they took it.

Was thinking that. Also might look for a faster way to shut it off. This finger print reader is fast as fuck.

Good screen or not, I have an s7 edge and I hate the curved part.

Yeah, I was a bit worried about the fingerprint reader placement, but after spending 6 days with my Note8 I actually find my finger resting there naturally and you're right it is SUPER fast to unlock.

Wew, you obviously weren't paying attention to the Note8 launch info then, the Note8 screen has a larger flat surface area than the S8 or S8+ curved design, and goes for a sharper steeper curve giving you much less curved space on the screen. The note8 has more squared off corners and is far less rounded.

Yes it's curved, but it's not like any curve you've seen in previous samsung displays. It's more subtle and far better for the Spen since you've got a larger flat surface that goes almost all the way to the edge.

I dont hate the curves on the 8. Seems pointless though. Couldn't they just go up to the edge and keep it flat? I feel like I get no benefit and it has costs. The curve means its harder to use a screen protector and cases cant come up on the sides. They could go no bezel flat and just have the case not cover it. Could have a bit of case edge there to cover in case in goes face down. You dont need a curved edge to have a side based menu.

>Yes it's curved, but it's not like any curve you've seen in previous samsung displays.

got it in my hand. Almost no screen is on the curve. Its a pretty tight turn and half is bezel under the glass/plastic whatever. Honestly the more I look at it the more I think this is a flat screen and this curve is just aesthetic.

I grabbed a cheap case and screen protector to get me through a few months so I can find a good permanent setup.

Also are the glass screens worth anything? I look a bit and just saw people bitching about some visible matrix in the screen protectors plus various failure in adhesive.

I want to use this with vr and I used my note 4 for year no case or screen protection so Ill probably just keep the screen bare in the end.

Need a case though I miss the texture on the note 4. This super good looking but less functional thing needs to die. I blame apple for this shit.

Long time Android user here, I'm making the switch to the iPhone 8

I've used phones from Sansung to LG to HTC and sitting on my Nexus 6P since launch has been nothing but absolute headaches and searching forums for how to fix bug X,Y or Z.

I'm sick of these battery draining bugs, lagginess and this phone is running latest and greatest pure stock android (So over-rated). I'm sick of not being part of iMessage group chats, failing MMS messages, having to rely on 3rd party apps because the stock clock app or reminder (Keep) are just hideous. No continuity with my Macbook Pro, No first party accessories, no customer service, no store I can just walk in with a problem (Have you tried dealing with Huawei or Google? What a joke).

I can't wait till the iPhone 8 launches, I left them the same reason you did - I just simply got bored and outgrew it a while ago, I liked tweaking Android devices but now I'm a grown up with a full time job I don't care nor have the time to spend staring at my phone home screen and making it as "miniamlist" as possible. I just had to factory reset my 6P and left everything stock because I'm not bothered anymore. I just want a phone that is reliable, does the job and won't eat away at my battery making the phone obsolete after just one year of ownership.

I can't wait for the iPhone 8 Launch. Good bye Android was nice browsing forums trying to fix solutions for you.

I'm running mine without a screen protector until I can evaluate reviews. I had a tempered glass screen protector on my Note5 that was good with the Spen, all the plastic ones feel mushy and disgusting witht he spen though. Glass or nothing.

Apple is dying. They cant produce laptops or desktops strong enough for content creators anymore. Phone market share is smaller and smaller. Fuck that garbage. At least Android lets you make choices like message apps.

Also is this pasta? Or an actual marketeer?

Forgive me Sup Forums. I need help. /o/ has referred me to you.

When i hook my android up to my car via aux, my phone goes nuts and keeps opening the "ok google" speech app thing. Everytime i close it out it opens again in a few seconds. Even if i dont close it and just go to a diffrent app it pops right back up. I literally cant even play somthing from my playlist or youtube because it takes over my phone. Whats going on?

Also its an rca to 3.5mm connection cable.

>Apple is dying
Says increasingly nervous poojeet for the 6 millionth time the past 10 years

reuters.com/article/us-usa-stocks-apple/apple-tops-800-billion-market-cap-for-first-time-idUSKBN1852G3

Have you tried a factory reset?

Did you test another cable?

Well you know how some earphones have button(s) to control the playback? I'm guessing your cable is somehow sending a signal to the phone that a button is being pressed, which is triggering the Google app to open.

No, idk how that would change anything. I think it has somthing to do with the mic in my car. Like the hands free phone service or something. But i honestly do not know.

what phone?

Apple continues to be under Samsung and they are on a down turn this quarter. A big one. Let alone when compared to all of android. Now they have nothing new and phones that are getting shittier. Plus a premium price, locked down phones, and walled gardens of software.

Their innovation died with Jobs.

You mean like a new rca to 3.5mm?Because thats the only way to do it without i stalling an after market stereo with 3.5mm aux in.

That would only happen if you're using TRRS

normal TRS shouldn't even have connection for mic.

Its a shitty free pbone i got for signing with boost mobile. Tribute 5.

Switch off Google now

I think your on to something here. I have the wrong cable for my intended use? Which do i need? I dont want the mic enguaged.

anyone have an iPhone launch bingo card?

>c-curved screen is not bad!
nys samshitshill

How do?

there's none. iPhone is flawless unlike samshit

> HTC 10 with verizon
> could never root
> NFC never worked
> touch screen no longer works.
I need a new phone and I want a provider who won't screw me over when I want to unlock. Can someone recommend a root-friendly provider with a phone that offers microsd and NFC? Please help!

>I want a provider who won't screw me over when I want to unlock.
Then move away from America or simply don't buy a locked phone in the first place.

Lol the Note8 specifically, I hate the other curved screens, they're garbage.

That would be my guess, TRS is just audio, TRRS is audio + mic.

that's not what the bingo card is about

what phone is this? doesn't look like regular stock android

That's a tablet running lineages os, but I'm inside the Google app which will be the same for us

Yeah
Google whatever is probably opening up because it thinks it's receiving a command from a mic or a button from a headphone, faulty cable might be the reason.

Is that really the answer? I can't plop over to art or T-Mobile and get a new rootable phone from them? Is there a trustworthy site to buy a rooted phone that's not amazon or Craigslist?

Yeah, literally any retailer, or most often the manufacturer's own websites.
If you buy a phone on a contract in the US, you're going to get fucked in the ass. Especially if you want to unlock it. Glad that shit is illegal over here in the first world.

why does the "X" have a fucking screen indent

seriously

>watch videos

>lol stupid camera at top ruins the left side of screen

apple iPhone event stream link yo? what time is the event?

Thanks user. I just need to figure out which phone to get now. I can't believe what a pita this is.

youtube.com/watch?v=McvLyEYwVvg

the screen is taller so you get a black border where the indentation is

Get in here fags

VLC

that's just some chink talking

isn't there any link that isn't cancer

>Apple design

nvm it has the real audio now

Works for me

try this