/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Strap Guide: pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

watchesbysjx.com/2017/06/breaking-news-jean-claude-biver-reveals-radical-new-regulator-at-zenith.html
hodinkee.com/articles/apple-watch-series-3-introducing
m.youtube.com/watch?v=e_GZEEExTPo
forums.watchuseek.com/f27/defy-lab-4530577.html
amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_price-asc-rank?fst=as:off&rh=n:7141123011,n:7147441011,n:6358539011,n:6358540011,p_89:Seiko Watches,p_n_material_browse:379288011,p_n_size_three_browse-vebin:8755758011,p_n_feature_browse-bin:379300011&qid=1505267908&bbn=6358540011&sort=price-asc-rank
musingsofawatchaddict.wordpress.com/2015/12/02/vintage-king-seiko-45-buying-experience/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I like the spring drive movement a lot.
>inb4 quartz/mech shit show
I just like the smoothness of the second hand, it's very pleasing to watch.

First for the glory of Daini Seikosha

oh god dammit did your government ban any males with testosterone a few generations ago?

The technology is really neat to me. There is a certain fascination to the same energy from the mainspring being used to both drive the mechanism and to restrain it.

just like any mechanical watch?

Thoughts on this timepiece?

Anyway guys like Invicta-cuck makes The Urban Gentile look bearable in comparison. I mean TGV is hard cringe with his constant LARP-ing of a Yuropoor aristocrat with refined taste, but at least he seems to be a good natured fellow, with a decent (albeit very meme) taste in watches.

Invicta-cuck is just a thin-skinned sociopath. He maintains eye contact with the camera the same forced way a psychopath does, struggling to pretend they regard the disposable talking objects around them as loved human being.

So is anyone else excited for the upcoming reveal of Zeniths new mechanical regulator in two days or what?

watchesbysjx.com/2017/06/breaking-news-jean-claude-biver-reveals-radical-new-regulator-at-zenith.html

This is super interesting to me as Zenith apparently intends to put this into series production.

Is there a guide on buying vostok shit

Sure, but doing it by electromagnetism is fucking neat also.

Post aesthetic, bronze case watches. I need inspiration.

ill be excited in 2 days

I've meant brass.

If all of the claims about it are true, and the movement is successful to the extent that it makes sense for Zenith to discontinue the traditional escapement, then yeah, I'll be fucking hype.

They're apparently going to GUARANTEE 1 second per day, which assuming random distribution means half of the pieces will be as accurate as a normal quartz movement.

It, of course, will not be a random distribution, and the majority will be within half a second.

I'm fucking hype. Let's just hope there's no drawbacks.

All hail Daini Seikosha.

>fat CHECK
>seiko CHECK
>plaid CHECK
>ultra pale CHECK

SAD!

Is this true?

They're claiming 0 (zero) isochronism. Neither from positional variation nor state of wind. If they actually manage to implement this on a production basis without any major catch, it'll instantly become my grail.

I revealed this on here weeks ago.

I'll be at the reveal, and I'll no doubt give a shout out to /wt/ so that you fucking fags knew it was me indeed. I hate it when people steal my thunder (and steal it you have, for now).

How's the LM Special been treating you?

You're wearing this on the palm and top of your hand, you realize that, correct?

Sorry about that, I only happened to notice that the reveal is supposed to be in two days. Please keep us posted if you are attending the event.

Probably not sure how they measure it though. The third most popular watch brand is Fossil so grains of salt.

No, I am not. As I have mentioned previously, most of my wrist shots are taken in the car where the lighting and my tilting the watchface to minimize reflections tend to hide my wrist bone.

Could be to do with the share price.

It'll only be 8000-9000 francs, that's easily an achievable grail.

I'll have a not to /wt/ at the event.

that's ON TOP of your hand. I'm not trying to be rude.

>Year over year, Apple Watch sales are up a whopping 50%. It has now become "the number one watch in the world," surpassing Rolex. It's unclear whether this number is tied to sales volumes or revenues, but it's extremely impressive either way. Customer satisfaction also comes in at 97%, another industry leading statistic.
hodinkee.com/articles/apple-watch-series-3-introducing

we need to talk finance.

how is $10k an 'easily achievable grail'? or is this relative, eg I'd spend $10k on vehicle mods, but not a watch, whereas you'd spend $10k on a watch, but not vehicle mods?

Or perhaps you'd spend $150k on a vehicle, and $10k on a watch without thinking twice?

is my watch OK lads?

>image resolution

My 45ks 7xxx arrived yesterday. At full wind it runs between +0 and +1 in six positions. What the actual fuck is this watch.

I saw these on facebook for sale, so no.

NO ITS NOT ON TOP AND SEIKO SHOULD NOT PUT THE 4R36 IN THE SKX FUCK ALL OF YOU.

>whereas you'd spend $10k on a watch, but not vehicle mods?
When you buy something, the money isn't gone, it's in the thing you bought.

Watches are generally bad at keeping their value, but they're far, FAR better than vehicle mods.

With certain watch brands, and certain watch models, this isn't true though. I think you could probably buy this new Zenith if you made peace with it's resale value likely peaking at 80% retail.

Not bad keeps good time and is comfy. I'm trying to not use it though until I find a good watchmaker to service it.

Why aren't there any rectangular dress watches anymore?
Only JLC and maybe cartier make them but that's it.
Are there any good looking affordable ones?

How does it work? Can you give us a few more details because the article is pretty sparse on facts.

>Behind the wrist bone is on top of the hand
(You)

Yeah, that's not outrageous, especially if they can live up to the claims.

Honestly what did you expect?

Well, we can't tell where your wrist bone is.

>That case
>Texture between 4 and 8, but not on the rest of the face
>Open heart that shows off fuck all

Seems like a decent work watch

+9.5mm thin
+20bar with screw in crown
+38mm diameter

-strap options prefer standard lugs
-$220

kek true!

You haven't seen the film yet? it's on the subforum Zenith on Watchuseek, its amazing. the technology's sublime. The best parts won't be revealed for 2 days.

I recall the "prototype having "tag heuer" written on the movement. Why?

Invicta cuck is a new level of cringe. Almost as bad as say people who actively share Orient watches on TGV's facebook page as if they are some how not a piece of shit.

>$10,000 is a lot of money

18+

>Having neither a balance wheel or hairspring, the movement relies on a rapidly vibrating, tensioned silicon component to keep time.
Honestly the more I read the more it sounds like the spring drive but they say it's friction free which means they have another method of slowing or feeding out the spring of the main spring.

>using facebook

Sounds more like the tag mikrogirder than a spring drive.

I guess where I live, most people's homes are $500k-$1M, and we drive $30-$50K cars, so $10k's not something we'd throw away on a watch (and please don't call it an investment, it's not).

Your generation stays at home until they're 36, so $10k for you is pocket change, I get that.

Is pic related true guys?

Either get a Seiko 5 or spend the extra $100 on a SARB033/35

Seems like a much lower frequency at only 15hz vs 2000hz but does seem to be along a similar train of thought.

Best color perlon strap for a 16110 Submariner?

I looked into it and I can't find out what Rolex's annual revenue is. When I search for it all I can find are articles about Apple watches outselling Rolex. But where are they getting the numbers from? Tech Crunch says Apple's "other products" made $2.74 billion, which includes Apple watches and Apple TV, and Beats headphones. BGR reports the Apple watch sold $6 billion all by itself. Neither of these websites have real sources, only estimates, tweets, and links to other news sites reporting the same stuff.

I cannot find a website that mentions Rolex's revenue WITHOUT bringing up the Apple watch. Which is kind of suspicious, and makes me think they're just parroting other "news" websites without doing any research.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple watch outsold Rolexes. They are a lot cheaper and people usually care more about brand names than actual quality.

Yes:

Don't

Yeah, Toyota surpasses Ferrari in annual revenue too!

Time to trade in my 458 Italia for a Corolla, surely it must be better! Two uncompareable products in the same market, one must be better than the other due to their profits and revenue!

>(and please don't call it an investment, it's not).
And there goes all your credibility out the window

BAI BAIIIII

He probably had to pull all his money out of his savings just for this pic lmao

Any interest here in organizing a secret santa with set budget ranges? (Straps, shitter, mid tier, $3k+)? Would set it up with legit registration and it could be fun.

50k is not too bad for cash savings, I wonder where else his money is

>Saving money
>In cash

Liquidity is not a valid excuse, if you save your money in Fiat you are a retard who will lose everything in the coming economic recession

>not having a business and investing all your money into that
pleb

>we don't know what this means but it's extremely impressive!

business meme lol

looooooool xDDDDDDDDDdd le biznes meme lieg n subsgribe for 100% of goga gola :DDD

Probably best not to have "all your money" in your business if you can help it. Unless we're talking about using accounting as a method of tax reduction.

>Not putting your life savings into buttcoin.

Sad thing is I only invested 4k. Yeah I made a million before taxes, but I could have made so much more.

My business has the highest ROI yet lowest risk as an investment. I have full control over what happens.

>tfw nocoiner
I really want the Ferrari 348

>What the actual fuck is this watch.
Literally weaponized autism. The 45xx movement was designed from the ground up for maximum accuracy and had a lot of adjustment and regulation labour put into it, and it shows. You have to understand that the 45xx movement was a product of Daini's obsession with beating the Swiss at the Swiss chronometer trials, and doing so with a production movement and not a one off ringer. It is literally the only series produced movement to have ever both won a chronometer trial and passes astronomical observatory chronometer certification.

The downside is that the 45xx is simply less durable than most Daini designed movements of that era, needs more frequent servicing, and is much more likely to end up needing spare parts from a donor movement than a 51xx, a 52xx, a 68xx, or even a 701x chronograph.

lmao this Invicta cuck:
>talking about his fake iced out Rolex
>"this one is probably a woman's size, 38 mm or something."
This guy is a goldmine.

I don't know why you would need a guide dude, it's stupid simple. The first 3 of the model number is the case style (So like 710 or 420), and the last three are the dial (For example, 059 or 634). Just go to Meranom, find a case and dial you like, and then buy it or see if you can get it for less on eBay.

>Not buying prop money off of Aliexpress for budget flexing

Same. I guess that's why I'm buying Vostoks instead of Pateks.

what a fucking tasteless cuck

Literally what? That's the same kind of place I live. 10k isn't a lot of money. Once I stopped blowing money on shitter watches and stuff like strippers it became a lot easier to get nice things that last.

>where I live, most people's homes are $500k-$1M, and we drive $30-$50K cars, so $10k's not something we'd throw away on a watch
$10K isn't a lot of money to people in exactly the financial situation you just described.

Is there another video showing it other than this one?
m.youtube.com/watch?v=e_GZEEExTPo

There's also this forum post about it:
forums.watchuseek.com/f27/defy-lab-4530577.html

>Committed to precision
>The measured precision of the DEFY Lab naturally meets the requirements of the ISO-3159 standard and in fact exceeds them. Never has a mechanical watch in the history of watchmaking, through any chronometry contest serial production, reached such a high level of performance and precision. Isochronism for serial production amounts to +/- 0.5 seconds from 0 to 48 hours. By way of comparison, the best conventional series systems reach somewhere in the range of +/- 2 seconds over just 24 hours. Beyond that, the accuracy of academic systems collapses due to the effect of physics. The precision of a coupled balance-spring is dependent on its amplitude. Such is not the case for the Zenith-Oscillator technology.
>Triple certified
>The Defy Lab is a "Tête de vipere" chronometer certified by the Observatory of Besancon on behalf of the International Bureau of Weights and Measures. The Zenith-Oscillator regulating organ is in the process of being certified as non-magnetic and meets high criteria regarding temperature variations.
With regard to the thermal behaviour the LVMH Watch Division Research & Development Department had to extend the spectrum of ISO-3159. Deviations of around 0.3 seconds per day and per degree Celsius of deviation, which is twice as good as the standard recommends, are certified. This variance is also measured on the thermal spectrum -7°C to +53°C, whereas the standard is limited to +8°C to +38°C.
The watch obviously meets the magnetic criteria of ISO-764. It even exceeds them by nearly 18 times (the completed watch), that is to say 88,000 Amperes per meter or 1,100 Gauss. And there is no need for an extra inner case to meet these criteria.

>Quartz regulated
>Mechanical watch

What on Earth are you talking about?

Fuck off Ninefag

Is that a Zenith though or is it a Tag Heuer? They say Zenith but the watch has Tag Heuer written on the movement

any steel bracelet seiko 5s that are around 40mm? in diameter? i dont want that 38mm shit

Thoughts?

There's heaps of them.
amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_price-asc-rank?fst=as:off&rh=n:7141123011,n:7147441011,n:6358539011,n:6358540011,p_89:Seiko Watches,p_n_material_browse:379288011,p_n_size_three_browse-vebin:8755758011,p_n_feature_browse-bin:379300011&qid=1505267908&bbn=6358540011&sort=price-asc-rank

It will be released as a Zenith. Both companies are owned by LVMH, so I'm guessing Tag's experimental watch division may have been used to prototype the concept or something.

Pic related will be the initial limited edition version, which is ghastly ugly, but the hope is that if this movement takes off they'll eventually use it in some classically styled models.

you've just outed yourself as a teenager.

anyone who says "$10k isn't a lot", is a retard. Even Richard Branson would strike you in the temple.

Would be nice to see an actual photo of the steel version and not some mockup.

Where did this meme of giant crowns with a rubber ring start anyway?

After 24 hours it is at -1 to +0. My timegrapher is only rated to 2spd. Amplitude has dropped to 185 in 9H - bit weird seeing these old Japanese movements with their puny amplitudes.

>185 in 9H
Apparently low amplitude is normal for 45xx movements to reduce the wear and tear on the movements from the higher beatrates.

musingsofawatchaddict.wordpress.com/2015/12/02/vintage-king-seiko-45-buying-experience/

According to this article about 230 degrees dial up at full wind is normal for 45xx movements. I didn't know that, actually. My 5256 shoes ~280 degrees dial up and stays above 240 in all 5 other positions at full wind.

yeah my 5256 can hit 300 dial up at full wind and stays about 240 in six positions after 24 hours.

i hate time passing

it means im dying

how could you appreciate something that slowly kills you

Very nice.

embrace death. why do you fear it? as time goes by you'll come to be bored with life, and even to have a healthy disdain for it.

wtf i hate watches now