/lgbt/ Libreboot General Thread

Welcome to /lgbt/ Libreboot is the Greatest BIOS Thread!
Beginners feel free to ask questions!

More info about the project:
libreboot.org/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libreboot
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=libreboot

Helpful resources:
Flashing the X60 internally (easy)
youtube.com/watch?v=1K5jo9gk9LQ

Flashing the X200/T400 externally (advanced)
youtube.com/watch?v=CyxgYnOcsTw

So Sup Forums why haven't you installed the only BIOS that actually respects your freedom, privacy, and human rights by using no proprietary firmware and disables the Intel (NSA backdoor) ME?

>inb4 the dev is a tranny and drama queen
That's a red herring and has no bearing on the project
The dispute with GNU was resolved several months ago
youtube.com/watch?v=FQCwYAhZnQg

>inb4 no compatible system
You can literally get a ThinkPad X200 for $50 on ebay

>inb4 no beaglebone/pi for external flashing
You can get an X60 for internal flashing or use a Libreboot flashing service (about $50) on ebay for X200/T400

>inb4 that hardware is ancient
An X200 will pretty much do anything besides "muh gaymin" plus there are some descent mobo's that support Libreboot for an Intel or AMD desktop system (see below)

Compatible Laptops/Boards:
Server boards: Asus KFSN4-DRE and Asus KGPE-D16
Desktop boards: Asus KCMA-D8, Intel D510MO, Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L, and Apple iMac 5,2
Laptops: Asus Chromebook C201, Lenovo ThinkPad X60/X60s, Lenovo ThinkPad X60 Tablet, Lenovo ThinkPad T60 (some exceptions), Lenovo ThinkPad X200, Lenovo ThinkPad R400, Lenovo ThinkPad T400, Lenovo ThinkPad T500, Apple MacBook 1.1, and Apple MacBook 2.1

Other urls found in this thread:

cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core2-Duo-T9900-vs-Intel-Core2-Duo-P8700
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I hope Leah is right and we have an X220 librebooted by the end of the year

Me too, fingers crossed

Is the T9900 really not worth the buy? I have a T500 I want to upgrade.

I think the T9900 is a meme. It offers very little in performance gains compared to say a P8700 which I have in my X200

cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core2-Duo-T9900-vs-Intel-Core2-Duo-P8700

The best performance gains will come from adding an SSD, 8GB RAM (Samsung 2x4GB PC10600 works great), and an Atheros AR9380.

really? I'm pumped, I guess I'll take a look at used X220s when I'm in tokyo early next year

topkek

Maybe an ssd would give some gains, but adding ram didn't offer me any performance gains. It's nice to have 8gb of ram though.

>inb4 no beaglebone/pi for external flashing
I have a w500 what do I need to flash libreboot? I need a spoonfed list please.

If you're uneasy about the process, there's a guy on ebay who will do it for $50. If you still want to try on your own, start by watching the video on flashing the X200/T400, it should apply for W500 as well.

I would say SSD made the most improvement of all. Extra RAM is just more for avoiding swap.

>he thinks this monstrosity will actually find a way around the ME

The fuck I care how it looks, I only care if it can be done and be thankful when done, fuck off

Cute cute :33!!!

It won't be done. I don't care how it looks either. He has very little hardware experience and has shown no proof that it's possible to run the processor of an X220 without ME.

>I don't care how it looks either
You literally posted a picture and call it monstrosity, fuck off CIAnigger

They already did for chipsets with ME 4.0 (ie X200/T400)

Oh look, it's the daily CIAnigger to shit on the libreboot general.

Mental monstrosity, known for picking fights with the FSF.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

They resolved that issue. Now fuck off.

k