/spg/ - Smartphone General - Another iPhone Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago (outdated - blame /csg/)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Apple unveils iPhone X with bezel-less AMOLED screen
gsmarena.com/apple_unveils_iphone_x-news-27227.php

Appleā€™s $999 iPhone X packs an edge-to-edge display and dual cameras
engadget.com/2017/09/12/iphone-x-announcement-release-date/

iPhone X, 8 & 8 Plus Released! Everything You Need To Know
youtube.com/watch?v=cjH3bjyznfg

iPhone X hands-on live from Apple Event 2017
youtube.com/watch?v=ZCQuasiJgYM

Apple iPhone X first look
youtube.com/watch?v=WYYvHb03Eog

iPhone 8 and 8 Plus hands-on live from Apple Event 2017
youtube.com/watch?v=o4Gh1dAifbs
-------------------------------------------------
Samsung hopes to launch foldable phone in 2018
gsmarena.com/samsung_hopes_launch_foldable_phone_2018-news-27220.php

BlackBerry confirms Priv will not get Android Nougat
crackberry.com/blackberry-confirms-priv-will-not-get-android-nougat#J8It4RAM2hB7UvFz.97

old

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/rMJWL1CczMI
youtu.be/RmDYbiyMHvo?t=51s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I am a luddite who just got my first smartphone a month ago, Samsung Galaxy J7 V. I was recently informed I should be able to access a test screen to, among other things, boost signal strength in exchange for battery life. I live in the woods and charge the thing once a week as it is so I would like to do that. The code *#0*# does not work. Did Verizon disable it and if so, how can I enable the feature again? Factory reset?

polite sage for old thread under bump limit.

verizon disables all that shit, and you cannot enable it again

Which phone should I get once my 6S poops out?

I want off the Apple ride

was thinking nokia 6/8 tbdesu

lmk ok ty xx

>hexacore
>not even 1080p
>2gb RAM
>no SD card slot
>no headphone jack
>that'll be $800 USD plus tip
Why are people so fucking retarded and willing to pay this much for this piece of outdated trash?

>Apple iPhone X
>$1000+
Fuck that. Budget OnePlus X2 with Snapdragon 835 when?

>750 x 1344

youtu.be/rMJWL1CczMI

Really makes you think, almost as if the competing OS is such utter third world garbage that it takes precedence over the hardware.

So after today it's pretty safe to say smartphones peaked in 2013, yes?

>subpar $200 phone specs sold for $800
>B-B-BUT THE SOFTWARE!

iShills, everyone.

Last time i tried Android it was with the original Xperia Z. Did things pick up since then, and i mean significantly? No crashing music player, no freezes, no laggy scrolling, no app store with nothing but shovelware garbage as far the eye can see? Im sincere, i don't want to buy the 8 or X and its time for a new phone.

G5 Plus or Galaxy S6?
I know former is a couple years old, but is it still better than the Moto? It costs about the same and cheaper.

Yes, maybe consider getting a Pixel or something.

What about those new Chink ones? I hear normalfags complaining about a lack of google apps on them but isnt that an advantage? To not have googles cock that far up your ass?

Which phone do (You) use?

Oh and also
>Yes
Can you back that up? For example, is there still that shit where a software update has to go through three different companies who each apply their own flavor of bloatware to it before being available to you, and only if you're lucky and they can be asked to in the first place?

FYI, the internal render resolution is much higher than that.

How to fix Moto G4 not reading sim cards?

I don't buy chink phones, so I really can't say.
Unless the phone is absolute shit, it shouldn't have a crashing music player, freezing or locking up. Samsung phones tend to have laggy scrolling (I've heard otherwise for Exynos powered devices). Google Play is about the same as the App Store for iDevices. There is shovelware, but if you know what you're looking for, you'll find it. The software update deal is still pretty much the same, but companies are apparently getting faster, but I wouldn't hold my breath unless you get something with stock or near stock Android.

I'm replacing my s5 and I want advice please. I'm in the US and AT&T is the only carrier in my area, I want something fast, but not horribly expensive. SD card reader is nice but not a must. The phone must have root available/unlocked bootloader.

What are the flagship android devices right now? Or are there any coming up? All i know are the S8, the Xperia XZ premium and the LG V30, apart from the chink stuff.

youtu.be/RmDYbiyMHvo?t=51s

A better rebuttal.

you can spend like

What's your hard budget?

>bought xperia z5 2 years ago
>looking forward to getting a new xperia
>xperia xz1 review comes out
>it's the same shit camera with blurry edges and no ois with terrible low light photos
>it's still a heavyweight POS with 2700mah battery which is less than the z5
>same screen
>same bezels
>same weak ass speakers
>still terribly slow camera software literally takes 2 seconds to snap a photo
>700 euros

what the fuck is sony doing at their r&d, why are all the japanese companies losing it so hard in every field

Lmao my Mi6 has TRIPLE the ram of that piece of shit

my personal best of this year in descending order:
>LG V30
>LG G6
>Nokia 8
>HTC U11
>Samsung Note 8
>Samsung S8
>Motorola X4
>Motorola Z2
There's also the pair of Google Pixel phones that come out in a month or two, those are expected to do well.

Complacency or a sheer lack of brilliance, sadly.

This annoys me the most. Why can't we have 1080p on the iPhone 8.

I have a 6S plus and I'm sick of bigger phones, besides my screen is better than the 8, which is funny.

What's a phone that fits the following requirements:

>Good low-light camera
>Good, loud audio
>Won't break in half if you keep it in your pocket

Windows Phones used to do this for me, but since going to Android I haven't been happy. Best I've used so far is probably the ZTE Blade V8 but its speaker isn't very powerful and the chassis is flimsy.

I was hoping for a modern take on the Axon 7 with its speakers but with a better camera.

I miss Windows Phone. The OS seemed really slick and intuitive and the phones themselves were great for the time.

Hey /spg/, smartphone ignoramus here. I've used iPhones since 2009 but I just need a headphone jack and I don't want to feed the tech duopoly. I do mostly online trading, standard web browsing and I run a lot of smart home apps. I prefer US made stuff but it's not a deal breaker. Camera quality isn't a huge deal to me but I don't want a potato either. I also do some music production on my phone with GarageBand from time to time. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks

V20/v30/g6

V30/v20

No one does stereo speakers except for Axon and the Idol series, Motorola stopped a while back, so did HTC, but they have two speaker systems(woofer and tweeter), that's how it was on the HTC 10, but I don't know about the U11

Try to find a deal on the galaxy s8.

>want to get a new phone
>Android is absolute garbage
>iPhone X has that hideous design but that sweet OLED screen
>Windows Phone
>current phone hasn't had a system update since October

Why must it be so hard

My Nexus 5x got the bootloop so I need a new phone. I was thinking of getting the Moto G5 plus. is there anything around that price range better or coming out later this year? I'm using my dads old Blackberry z10 and I hate this thing...

LG V20/V30, Nokia8, Xiami Mi5S or Mi A1 if you feel the performance is adequate.

I don't care about stereo, just loud with good quality. My old Lumia 640 would go up so loud on speaker I could have a conversation in my convertible on the highway with the top down. And that was a $35 phone.

Every Android I've used since I basically have to leave leave at max volume with normal ambient noise.

If your budget is $400 and under, consider the HTC 10
If otherwise, get the U11

Phone salesman here. I sell Verizon products in the US, I'm new to the business. I'm studying basic selling points about the phones and honing my sales skills as they apply to phone sales, but what do you think phone salesmen ought to do?

>Buy LG goyim
>Nothing could go wrong

Try sucking people's dicks

Stop pushing what you faggots are getting extra commission in and try and actually put people in something they like

Below 600

Be able to explain the difference between basic hardware differences.

IE.
IPS vs OLED
10nm vs older 14nm or 20nm
What actually makes cameras decent (not just how many megapixels it has)
etc.

I want a phone salesman to layout the basic hardware differences between models and potentially highlight models that have features i find important. (camera, stylus, screen size, RAM, etc)

has anyone ever had to RMA a phone? im looking at buying a chinese phone and people keep saying "hurr durr what if something breaks"..but im pretty sure if i buy a motorola or samsung and something breaks theyll tell me to fuck off unless i pay for it

>Talk to Joe Schmoe about phone about what phone he likes
>He won't get anything but an iPhone
>Want to tell him that new iPhones suck fucking dick
>Go with it anyway

I generally try to recommend phones that work well for people, if I wanted to make a ton of money, I'd shit out J3 and J7 sales, believe it or not.

OnePlus5, HTC 10/U11

I do believe it, Samsung is getting killed in the mid and lower tier, no wonder they want you to push them, is the extra commission from Verizon or Samsung?

I'm curious, what are your thoughts on the LG V30? I'm thinking about getting one when it's released.

Samsung and similar companies have generally a 1 year warranty for basic manufacturing defects. So if your screen has fucked up pixels or weird burn in or some shit, they'll probably just send you a refurb replacement without charging anything but maybe shipping.

However if you drop your phone and crack the screen, yeah they'll be charging you just like anyone else would.

Shitty LG pOLED.

call it for me right now boys, buy the xiaomi redmi 4x: yes or no?

no

If I had to get a good phone, it would be the V30

Also
>USB: 2.0
>in soon-to-be 2018

Wait for Mi A1.

No

I've RMA'd a few. A major name company will probably have a replacement phone to you within a week. Dunno about no-name chink outfits.

acknowledged, thank you lads

Question. Is there anything that tops V20 if I want the following features:

-400+ppi
-USB C
-Really high quality dac
-removable battery
-dual camera config
-dual sim
-SD card
-manual shooting mode

Lower your standards. It makes everything so much easier.

>-removable battery
no major manufacturer is doing this anymore, LG dropped it with the V30.

Im not sure if we'll see it at all next year either.

my xperia z3 is showing its age (less battery capacity mostly), so i'm looking for something that has a good battery, has at least the same set of sensors, is fluid when using it and a acceptable camera. a mid range phone would be nice if it exists

What's wrong with pOLED?

I assume that apple will eventually apply an update that makes it so the stuff on the same line as the bezel is all black. It's still terrible, though

No extra commission to my knowledge, our profit margin on them is just stupid good.

Do you work a corporate store?

is huawei considered a no-name chink outfit?

thats the one im looking at now

>inb4 it's a preproduction model.

Show me a retail one then

Indirect. I wouldn't be surprised if my bosses browsed this general from time to time, so I'm going to remain anonymous beyond that.

Know what you're talking about and be able to break it down Barney-style.

They're the largest chink manufacturer, and just outpaced apple as the 2nd largest single manufacturer of cell phones behind samsung.

Wait, you don't get flat rate? Lucky fuck, it was flat rate per phone when I was selling

Is there any views with like, stock images or something?
I'll admit that looks pretty shitty, but I'm curious if it looks as bad with normal images.

They made the 6p so I would say they're a big brand.

It's admittedly not as bad with normal images, but when you do notice it, it's pretty bad. Apparently some reviewers were reallllly noticing it, others not much at all.

If you're used to samsung AMOLED you probably will notice more than someone coming from IPS or similar LCD tech.

It scales based on how well you do and they aren't making it easy on me to collect commission presently, which is fine based on how our organization is doing, and how much they pay me hourly.

To ease your mind the Mi A1 got band 20 and Pixel-like support so it'll be worth waiting until the end of the month.

If you work for a carrier in the US you just need to know if they want the new iPhone or the new Galaxy

It must be easier than selling Sprint, that shit was such a bad idea cause they're coverage was shit when I was selling it and their LTE is a joke for the prices people were paying, and I would always have to deal with pissed off people who switched from Verizon to save money and then come in to bitch they get no service, it was fucking futile

I'm the guy who gets angry customers from our local carrier who sucks shit outside of the state and puts them on our network.

what in the fuck was Apple thinking with that GIANT FUCKING INDENT in the top of the X?

are their designers literally retarded?

>US Cellular
My God that must be horrible

Jony Ive is probably autistic desu

Nah, GCI is the carrier everyone hates here

Illinois?

Keep guessing.

V20 is the last man standing. There is no other top end phone with removable battery.

Too bad.

Ohio

Cell phone service is weird. Small companies tend to be shit compared to the big carriers AT&T and Verizon, but if it came down to them, we'd be in an oligopoly, yet small companies fucking suck at providing and pricing service.

>galileo
Now this is future proofing

Panjeet land has op service compared to (((USA))), really makes me think

I've been a little out of the loop. So, it's pointless to upgrade to the iPhone 8 if I have a 7, right? Doesn't seem too appealing.

Battery life, screen resolution, Mmc support and probably about charging speeds,

I doubt they'll do that. Apple is fully embracing the notch.

On the plus side, videos default to a rectangular format and require a double tap to go "full screen" behind the notch and rounded corners.

why is it so impossible. I want 3 things,

1. Headphone Jack.
2. Camera that can actually do depth of field
3. T-mobile

OP5