Wireless charging

LMAO this shit is fucking retarded, why does anyone want this shit?

>need to charge your phone
>put it down on a charging pad
>has to be in a very specific spot to work
>sometimes you cant get the position right for so long you just plug it in
but the biggest problem
>you can't use the phone while its charging because its stuck face up

KEK ITS SO TRASH

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=j4sAzaKfbRc
youtube.com/watch?v=A8dqzVlhFkA
youtube.com/watch?v=gTOUqTbswTo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I can't wait until I'm able to plug in my phone and charge it like 100% of the other electronics in my home. Someday.

im wondering why this is a selling point on phones because if youve ever tried it its garbage and more inconvenient

Not to mention this technology and others like it are being shown to cause cancers and a host of other malments. Youve been warned.

at least you won't break the lightning cables every month

it just makes no sense

the only way i could see it making anything better is with charging cases on phones without headphone jacks so it frees up the port

it's fairly convenient on Samsung phones. i have never had issues with positioning place the center of the phone on the pad and it charges. it charges until the battery is full and then shuts itself off so it's not continuously charging.

you also have a port if you need a phone to charge while you use it, it's a literal non issue it's a feature for those who want it and easy to ignore for those who don't.

Just don't man handle your cables mate

smartphone makers literally change entire material/design choices to accomodate it

My wife and I have used the same two cables for our 7s for the last year. Apple cables aren't trash anymore.

not really, they don't need to change anything it's literally a paper thin coil that needs to make contact with the battery pins. it works through glass, plastic, and fairly thick cases. you can even buy them for older phones that you can peel and stick to the backs of the phone.

it's a literal non issue. no one has ever designed a phone around wireless charging, if apple did then it's hilariously silly.

>glass vs metal back panels

>wanting either

polycarbonate is superior in every way.

I miss it actually, shit was so comfy in my Nexus 5. All you need is a non shit charging pad so it won't matter where you toss it.

In other news, if my next phone supports wireless charging I'm going to integrate it into my desk.

qualcomm has a system that will work through metal cases.

Well im waiting to start charging my laptop from a table or something

Wireless charging is ridiculous. YouTube tech reviewers have been hyping this up like it's the second coming. But why? Who the fuck is too lazy (inb4 amerifats) to plug in a phone? Especially since usb-c and lightning don't have a "wrong" side. Phones with wireless charging are more expensive and made from brittle glass instead of aluminum. Why do we have to pay a premium and end up with phones more sensitive than a newborn for something nobody needs?
And how many lightning cables could you buy for the price of a wireless charger?
Fucking this.

that would make sense

What's not to like about wireless charging?
Shit just werkz and is convenient.

>2018
>iPhone 9
>No more ports

Soon™

Wireless charging? Where the fuck is my wireless electricity?

Riiight. And charging cables don't

at least then youd be able to move freely and wouldnt be tethering your phone more than with a cable

G I M M I C K
I
M
M
I
C
K

Sometimes they don't though. Sometimes your port is fucked.

what shit are you buying where the charging ports are failing?

What happened to this?

youtube.com/watch?v=j4sAzaKfbRc

>Where the fuck is my wireless electricity?

What do you think wireless charting is? Wireless gasoline?

NO FUCK YOU THIS IS NOT WIRELESS ELECTRICITY THIS IS JUST LIKE PLACING AN ITEM NEXT TO A BATTERY INSTEAD OF USING A CABLE BETWEEN THE BATTERY AND THE ITEM

ok ok, I get it.

>>you can't use the phone while its charging because its stuck face up
How does that mean you can't use it? It is much more usable in that orientation than face down.

Anyway, the point of wireless charging is more that you can just put your phone down and it starts to charge.
At night you can just toss it on your bed side table and it starts charging.
It's not a feature designed to be used when you are actively using your phone, fine, glad you pointed that out.

This is probably relevant.
youtube.com/watch?v=A8dqzVlhFkA

Happened to my Nexus 4 just before it completed its second year in my hands.

Luckily I didn't need to upgrade asap thanks to my wireless charger. Kept it for almost a whole year before upgrading.

how is this wirelesss if i see there's a cable plugged into this charger? it makes no sense, this is the same thing, except its worse because you cant move around your phone.

here is what you do:
Get some cheap plywood.
Make a tray with semi high edges.
Design it so it doesn't matter where you place your phone, it will always charge.
stop using your phone all day

iPhones, probably.

witricity didn't use ubeam.
It is ineffective though.
But I still think wireless charging would be better for things like cars and phones.

>this is the same thing, except you leave one thing plugged in

It's not the same technology as uBeam but I bet a lot of the same issues apply to it.

yes they are i got one like a week ago and it already started fraying fuck off shill

This. Its one of the more silly gimmicks we have seen in recent years

I don't know.
It has been 10 years and I am not aware of any products that uses this yet.
If the 80-90% efficiency claims hold, I would love to see it charging cars and stuff.
Nothing is more clunky than getting a high end car and then having to plug it in when you get home.

>why does anyone want this shit?
So that they can remove the lightning port in the next iteration

its great for in car use

i setup a DIY wireless charger pad under my center console cup holder
i also setup a switch on the exterior of the console

this allows me to just put my phone down on the magnet or pick it up without orientation

it can also be synced with nfc or bluetooth/wifi to a local network with tasker updates/syncing for calendars/maps/email/f-droid repo ect

i still have a usb and 3.5mm if i need 100% effeciency or long car rides where i wont be getting in and out of the car a lot

i have a 5ghz ap and a nas in the vehicle with OBD output

As an LG G3 owner who never used wireless charging, I don't see why having it as an optional feature is a bad thing. It's optional. You can keep charging with your regular wired charger, you're not yet limited to wireless only.
My previous phone, however, became useless when its micro-USB port stopped responding to connected wires. If it had wireless charging, I could still get around that, but instead it just turned into an irrecoverable weight when the battery discharged.

As someone who doesn't have it, I would answer that it's because I would be paying for something I wouldn't use, much like a smart TV (everyone knows that it's far better to use a Roku than any Smart TV, as it is supported far longer and you get to pick the feature set that you want).

It's not wireless charging that's the issue, it's your pad. Just get a bigger one. But even with the small ones, after you've had it for a few days you set your phone down properly without even thinking about it.

>it's your pad
Pretty much this. I've got one of the Samsung ones and as long as you put it down somewhere remotely centered with the pad, it'll charge. I've also got one of the stand-type wireless chargers on my battle station, and it's pretty much impossible to place the phone wrong on that one.

The charging mat would be an additional purchase, but the charging capability is hardly a matter of price. I doubt LG put different price tags on their wireless-enabled versions of the G3. Unless we're talking about Apple who claims wireless charging is a revolution they're starting, where they'd say they had engineers work on integrating this magical super component, I doubt any other company raises or advertises their devices' wireless charging as a key feature that gives their phone a premium price tag.
I can tell you the charging coil is a flat sticker on the back cover of my phone. It has 4 contact points that connect with the phone's back side. It shouldn't be complicated. It's a sneeze next to the other features and hardware costs. It's like the difference between given a cloth napkin or a paper napkin at a restaurant, where you pay for the food and service.

A coil costs almost nothing. There is no reason to not include it because it does not affect users who don't use it in anyway, but it's a huge pain in the ass to add it to a phone that doesn't have one.

High efficiency could only be provided with perfect alignment and close proximity to the pad.

This really isn't that different to the current wireless charging methods.

>This really isn't that different to the current wireless charging methods.
it isnt, aside from it being 5 years too late for people to care anymore.

how the fuck do people break their cables?

do you just grab the phone and jank everything out of the wall or something

i've been using the same cable for the last 2 years, i just don't get it

How fucking autistic are you that this happens to you? Jesus Christ calm down you man child.

Non-autist here, the port on m,y 5th gen iPod touch required me to twist the cable a few times and use the iPod to put weight on the port to get it to charge, shit was a fucking nightmare. Never again will I subject myself to such utter levels of bullshit.

>"Hey Siri, call X on speakertphone"
Really fires those neurons

Here is the dream
youtube.com/watch?v=gTOUqTbswTo
Its very basic and the mouse does not use that much power (I think variants of the self charging mouse last 3 weeks with constant use.) but this is the idea, a day when you no longer have to even think of charging shit, and everyone wants to be the one that makes the breakthrough device/version so everyone goes to them for the pads and chargers.

It will happen within 5 to 10 years that we just no longer plug things in ot charge period, but we are hitting the growing pains aspects right now, where its a bit of a pain in the ass to use.

treat a cable nice, or threat it bad, over a period of time they break. had a few hdmi cables just lose the metal bit exposing all the connections due to wear and tear, small flimsy cables also shit out on my on a regular basis, most of my mice have died due to cable fucking itself.

Most cables are made as cheaply as possible so they can mark them up as much as possible.

If there is anything magnetic inside it can get fucked that way, but we are talking very low currents so I dont know how much an issue it is.

use it or not, apple will charge you more for it regardless.

>if youve ever tried it its garbage and more inconvenient
What do you mean by this? My fast wireless charger just works. Place the phone down and it charges.

It's a convertible cradle type fast charger so I can have my phone standing up facing me on my desk while it fast charges wirelessly.

Far more convenient than a USB cable

My mom goes through 2-3 USB cables a month. I can generally make one last 6-8 months. But with daily wear and tear they are going to degrade eventually even if you don't treat the cable poorly. Unless you never leave your house and treat your USB cables like a newborn baby.

I can't wait until they remove the USB port in favor of wireless charging and Bluetooth

I'm still using the cable that came with the phone I bought three years ago and it's not even my oldest cable. I expect at least another three years out of it.

This is fucking nuts

everyone in my family has used the same usb cables that came with their phones from like like 4 years ago

I'm pretty sure the usb cable I'm using with my redmi note 3 pro came with my nokia n900 in 2009

>tfw you're still using the stock lightning cable that your phone came with when you bought it a year ago.
Goolag android fags btfo once again

Congrats? You're just proving you're some form of mentally ill.

I use $15 nylon braided USB cables and even they wear out after a few months, maybe a year.

Also a SINGLE USB cable...? Are you a NEET who never leaves his room? I have 4 USB cables I regularly use for charging.
1 at home by my bed. 1 at my computer. 1 in my car. 1 at work.

If I had a single USB cable then id hand to be stuffing it into and pulled out of my pocket all day every day.

So seriously all you're saying to me is you've not left your house in 2 years

t. child who can't take care of his belongings

Lol it's a USB cable.

The fact you think it needs to be taken care of makes me physically ill. You're actually mentally challenged and can't even recognize it.

Since when does not handing your stuff like a fucking ape make you mentally ill?

>I'm pretty sure the usb cable I'm using with my redmi note 3 pro came with my nokia n900 in 2009
I'm personally imagining you with a little box you keep your USB cable in because there is no way a USB cable stuffed in your pockets on a daily basis is lasting 8 years.

>because there is no way a USB cable stuffed in your pockets on a daily basis
All my devices are actually capable of holding a charge for more than a day. Weird to know what the 21st century is like, isn't it?

...why do you take usb cables with you? Are you mentally ill?

The fuck man, all my USB cables are still as good as new and working.
Now they just pile up in my cable box because they never break or wear out.
I just take care of my shit.

Meanwhile my brother treats his stuff like garbage, so his USB cables are always breaking, his phone screens always break, has gone through 3 keyboards in two years (I'm still using the same keyboard I was using 6 years ago) and in general has to constantly replace stuff.

All your posts tell me is that you treat your cables, and probably everything else, like a monkey.

Your phone? Sure. Laptop? Sure.

A $3 USB cable that has half a chance of getting lost or stolen in the next 6 months anyway? Why should I give more than half a second thought?

I bulk order USB cables and have 10-20 sitting around at a time. They're great if you've got a friend or family member over who forget their charger. Any time I lose a cable or one wears out, just pickup a new one from the pile.

They're so cheap taking care of a fucking cable baffles me.

>he doesn't leave the house for more than a day ever

>A $3 USB cable that has half a chance of getting lost or stolen in the next 6 months anyway?
How do I lose a cable that stays connected to the wall wart that stays plugged into the socket? And if it gets stolen, that means I have niggers breaking into my house, which means I have bigger issues than stolen USB cables.

>he doesn't just bring an additional battery

>he doesn't leave the house

So you ARE a NEET.

Honestly you can stop there, assuming you never leave your house for any significant length of time it's no wonder your cable is in good condition.

>having a phone with a replaceable battery that lasts more than one day means I never leave the house
I'd love to see the logic behind this.

I use it for 4 years now. very convenient for work environment. nobody wants to use my charger because no one understands what that is.

>he's autistic and uses a several year old phone

Let me guess it's a galaxy note4 and a 10,000mAh zerolemon extended battery case and you refuse to upgrade because removable battery was the pinnacle of Android hardware?

>>has to be in a very specific spot to work
Same as plugging in a port? Just don't be retarded and put it on the right way.

>>you can't use the phone while its charging because its stuck face up
You can angle these things just like you can angle ports.

>You can angle these things just like you can angle ports.
Yeah, samsung sent one of their new fast chargers for free when I got my new phone.

Lays flat or tilts for you to set your phone on it at an angle you can see.

>Let me guess
I'd rather not, but it looks like you're going to anyway
>it's a galaxy note4
Nope
>and a 10,000mAh zerolemon extended battery case
No case, just the stock phone with the stock 2.1Ah battery.
>and you refuse to upgrade because removable battery was the pinnacle of Android hardware?
Nope

I've had two cheap, bad, USB cables.

Everything else has been fine. It's looking more and more like you're just retarded.

Considering you are using those four cables in the same places there's no reason for them to be dying. It's not like you're stuffing them into your bag or anything. Cables don't break just because you plug and unplug them 100 times over the course of three months. They'd only be breaking if you treated them like absolute shit, which makes you the problem.

Just don't buy shit phones and charge your phone every night.
If you are traveling, put the cable in your luggage instead of your pocket.
Simple.

Maybe the retard bought some bottom of the barrel shit and that's why it's breaking.
Though he would have to try very hard, even the cheapest cables are pretty durable.

>has to be in a very specific spot to work
>sometimes you cant get the position right for so long you just plug it in

That's why wireless charging took apple 4 years.

Normalfags like apple products because everything works out of the box. People are too stupid to understand that first gen hardware is first gen. If you don't want to deal with shit breaking and slight inconveniences don't buy experimental hardware.

the original purpose was to avoid ports from breaking due to excessive use, but to be honest port quality has increased and phones are getting obsolete way before the port has a chance to break so now wireless charging is just a meme

A good excuse for shit batteries

Costs fuck all. Works like a treat. Whats the problem?

Are you retarded? You can just toss your phone on the charging pad when you don't expect to use it for the next few hours, while you can still plug it into a charger when you actually want to keep using it.
Making an argument based on one specific phone and one specific charging pad is retarded, I'm pretty sure at least some companies got the feature right.

>Charging your phone with a dock plugged to a cable when you could just plug your phone on it.
You just love to buy useless things?

Did you expect these wireless pads to work magic or something? Obviously they need to be plugged in. You buy them for the features they give you, not because they allow you to charge without access to a USB cable.

The phone is still stuck on the dock, what advantage do you have over a USB cable?

You don't have to unplug it. That's all

That you don't need to plug/unplug it. It's a small advantage, but personally I like that I can easily take my phone with me. And I'm pretty scared of breaking my USB port, though that's probably not realistic.

Neo-Sup Forums pro-consumers

>If there is anything magnetic inside it can get fucked that way.

this is false.

micro usb cables are shit and break at the drop of a hat. i use a charger pad to charge my phone at night while im sleeping

you're arguing with retards, why?

Speed chargers are the best.

>Dat x3 charging speed

Get on my level

Just get Anker cables you retard