Linux Foundation executive runs MacOS

Landukes video on the subject:
youtu.be/3f8FPnAsIJ4

So, when even one of the main Linux representetives runs MacOS to get shit done - you can guess that GNOO/Lonox is a complete failure on the desktop.
But serously, Linux is useless for me on my main computer(still run one on the notebook) but if I would somehow be connected to Linux - I wouldn't even think about running anything but Linux.
So is the main problem of relative obscurity of Linux are laughably bad at their job representetives who run MacOSes?

Other urls found in this thread:

tirania.org/blog/archive/2013/Mar-05.html,
tirania.org/blog/archive/2013/Mar-05.html
gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/desktop/united-states-of-america
tirania.org/blog/archive/2012/Aug-29.html
google.com/chromebook/find-yours/
youtube.com/watch?v=radmjL5OIaA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Holy fuck.
>Someone uses an OS
>Other OS is destroyed!!!!
Get a life

you are either retarded or just trying to look like one.
When the main aspect of my job is a promotion of Linux and the main theme of my presentation is 'The Year of Linux on the Desktop' and I am using MacOS - there is something wrong with me. Imagine Bill Gates using MacOS, or Tim Cook using Microsoft Surface.

I mean it's probably better than Windows. I agree that most Linux DE's are laughably bad. Unity/Gnome, both maintained by companies are blown out of the water by Mint, which is maintained by a couple dudes running on donations and as a hobby. You'd think they would take the hint that people don't want the touchscreen/desktop frankenstein shit everyone is trying to push.

>So, when even one of the main Linux representetives runs MacOS to get shit done - you can guess that GNOO/Lonox is a complete failure on the desktop.

Read tirania.org/blog/archive/2013/Mar-05.html, founder of GNOME explains why he gave up on desktop Linux.

>I invested years of my life on the Linux desktop first as a personal passion (Gnome) and when while awoken for two Linux companies (my own, Ximian and then Novell). During this period, I believed strongly in dogfooding our own products. I believed that both me and my team had to use the software we wrote and catch bugs and errors before it reached our users. We were pretty strict about it: both from an ideological point of view, back in the days of all-software-will-be-free, and then practically - during my tamer business days. I routinely chastised fellow team members that had opted for the easy path and avoided our Linux products.

>While I had Macs at Novell (to support Mono on MacOS), it would take a couple of years before I used a Mac regularly. In some vacation to Brazil around 2008 or so, I decided to only take the Mac for the trip and learn to live with the OS as a user, not just as a developer.

>Computing-wise that three week vacation turned out to be very relaxing. Machine would suspend and resume without problem, WiFi just worked, audio did not stop working, I spent three weeks without having to recompile the kernel to adjust this or that, nor fighting the video drivers, or deal with the bizarre and random speed degradation that my ThinkPad suffered.

Honestly its a really shitty look for them to not even be running the os they designed or whatever.

>Error 404 - Not found

Again
>Someone uses an OS that's different
>All of a different OS is dead!! Finished!!!
Appeal to authority isn't a valid argument

looks like your browser parses the , as part of the URL

tirania.org/blog/archive/2013/Mar-05.html

A man has a work to do. He has no time to fiddle around ricing his DE.

>story from half a decade ago

The dude is the executive of the Linux foundation... The purpose of said foundation is to promote Linux... And he's refusing to run Linux. Lol.

still relevant today, Google and FB run on Linux but the development takes place on Macs because people don't want to waste their time on trying to get Linux to just WERK

Ok. He's still promoting Linux.

That's actually changing though, more people are using Linux than back in 2013. In fact, Linux is about to beat the latest MacOS in the desktop

Ok? What are you trying to tell me you have autism or something?

>lose argument
>le autizum may may xd

>In fact, Linux is about to beat the latest MacOS in the desktop
Does it include ChromeOS?

I don't think chromeOS is a big portion, even if it was, it's a distro of gentoo.

You were talking about development, right. Not sure how many people develop in chromeOS

No. The grow is pretty much connected to Chrome OS.
It Is still a Linux distro, though.

>I don't think chromeOS is a big portion
Unless it has changed in the past few months Chrome OS has more or equal market share to Linux.

Oh my god. No wonder why Linux is a joke in America.

I run strictly on Linux, but the people at the high seats are fucking up this one.

Even Linux has so much potential to be commercial while preserving the open source philosophy, but they are still fucking that up too.

We will never see more people running Linux than the typical neckbeard, so don't expect more development.

Fedora JUST WERKS for this """JVM performance engineer"""

"""""""""""""""""""""""""JVM performance"""""""""""""""""""""""""

>but the people at the high seats are fucking up this one
You wonder why they are so successful to begin with? They just want to get on with their work with no retarded distractions

>Unless it has changed in the past few months Chrome OS has more or equal market share to Linux.
How so?

>But serously, Linux is useless for me on my main computer
Not everyone is a huge manchild who needs his daily dosage of escapism in the form of video games. It's only a "failure" in numbers, it works perfectly well.

What

Also, did you completely miss the second sentence of my post?

Where is your citation for that claim?

>head honcho at the headphone company uses a tv with SPEAKERS
>headphones BTFO

>McDonald's ceo eats at places that aren't McDonald's
>McDonald's going bankrupt!!!

yep. GNU/Linux is actually not a bad product. There are plethora of reasons to use it and a lot of points to make stress on when marketing it to folks. But it looks like GNU/Linux is just a magnet for worthless executives and marketers. ou also have Stallman that alienetes more people than he converts to Linux.
I mean, when a free product that is only slightly worse in some consumer computing areas than main rivals can't beat even 5% marketshare - you are doing something wrong.

>Where is your citation for that claim?
gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/desktop/united-states-of-america

Are you unable to read? I asked what the citation is for your claim that "Unless it has changed in the past few months Chrome OS has more or equal market share to Linux."

He doesn't have it, he's just talking out of his ass

haven't played games since PS2 era. I work in graphic design and use of Adobe products is essential for me. I still wouldn't want Adobe products on Linux because they are botnet and stand agains everything that FSF is trying to achieve.

Yes, it's called contrarianism, practice what you preach macfag.

Is Linux on the desktop even a priority for Linux Foundation? I think most of the sponsors only care about servers and embedded. Linux on the desktop is for hobbyists, not professionals.

this is what autism looks like

Thought so. I also asked him how many people develop on Chrome OS, because he implied that development is done on macs as opposed to Linux

You don't understand a single bit. Go watch your anime kid.

>Be shown the flaw in your argument
>Autism!
K

>contrarianism
thanks, not everyday you learn something new in Sup Forums.

>>In fact, Linux is about to beat the latest MacOS
>in the desktop
>Does it include ChromeOS?

>I also asked him how many people develop on Chrome OS
Nope that wasn't me

When I developed under linux I hated those guys the most. Those guys who develop shit for linux but do that on os x.
Yep it's a lot similar and such, but their shit never works without issues because of lack of testing in actual target environment, also they are the most annoying to deal with when they need your help to install some module which is missing from mac infrastructure for any reason. Such a pain.
If someone develops shit for linux under mac os - fuck them. If someone develops shit for linux but has a PC running different OS for different purpose - there is nothing wrong with that.

>most of the sponsors only care about servers and embedded
because that's the market where they at least have some upperhand but of course they would like to have a bigger desktop marketshare. Jim Zemlin (executive who runs MacOS) is making a meme 'Year of the Linux Desktop' presentasions every year.

>Linux Foundation
Last I checked it wasn't called the People Running Linux on their Desktops Foundation

Face the truth neckbeard neet poorfags
highly productive people either USE macOS or windows
>business owner
>accountant
>executive
>lawyers
all these people need a solution that works out of the box because they are busy making money and dont have as much time as your NEETS to tinker around with the terminal

>> linux is shit as day to day OS.
>> linux is good for every other uses.(you can do wathever you want at the cost of time)

i use win 7 as home OS,
using linux for ROS Gazebo (Robot)

chromeOS is gentoo

>>business owner
>>accountant
>>executive
>>lawyers
Has it ever occured to you that these people don't know shit about computers?

Daily reminder that Miguel de Icaza, the author of Gnome and Mono, switched to macOS back in 2012, and what he wrote back then about the Linux Desktop is still true: tirania.org/blog/archive/2012/Aug-29.html .

watch the video or read the thread.
The guy that makes "year of linux on the desktop presentation" is making it on a macbook and he is also just happens to be an executive of LF.

>what he wrote back then about the Linux Desktop is still true:
No it isn't. You don't even use LInux

Interestingly Linux seems to beat out Chrome OS desktop market share worldwide. Only in the US is Chrome OS market share greater. Lots of niggas in Africa using Ubuntu and Russian hackers using mint maybe.

>actual gentoo creator switched to os x
how will g defend this?

So you really were talking out of your ass.

>8 times more people use os x
>>linux desktop will btfo it!!!!!
windows is around the same distance from osx

they are not relly spending money to bring them in Europe. You can't even get them in most countries.
Also, their website is literally broken
google.com/chromebook/find-yours/

Friendly reminder that Lunduke is a fag.
youtube.com/watch?v=radmjL5OIaA
Starts at 55:20.

i fucking love manjaro man, it's like just looking at the name and even the logo makes me giddy i don't know why

Appeal to authority isn't a valid argument for or against something

>You don't even use LInux
I actually do and have been using for the past 10 years or so, this is exactly why I know how fucked up the Linux desktop actually is, and I agree with his points about fragmentation and backward compatibility, all rooted in """hacker""" culture.

how about make a little summary?
not interested in watching an hour long video from 2012

>OSX killed linux
isn't it ironic that Linux is slowly closing in towards OSX marketshare on desktop?

Let's face it 2017 != 2012, times have changed. Newer hardware supports Linux right ootb, I got my Ryzen and Polaris work in launch day without even having to manually installing a driver for it

That's because you have autism
I wonder what the 2.15% Unknown is. Maybe computers with OSes too old to measure. Or proprietary OSes like North Korea's Linux distro.

>fragmentation and backward compatibility
>2015
Appimage rolls out
>2016
flatpak and snaps roll out as a fully functioning app containers

>starts at 55:20
>not interested in watching an hour long video from 2012
Friendly reminder that you are a fag as well. Only illiterate.

This

So where is the actual video? Of him using macOS?

RX Vega driver came out literally at the launch day - day 0

>Lunduke: Are you actually putting the needs of having no non-free software above the needs of me feeding my kid?
>Stallman: Absolutely. I don't see any difference between what you're saying and what a thief would say trying to justify what he's doing.
TOP FUKCING KEK RICHARD STALLMAN IS A STINKY COMMIE PIECE OF SHIT

holy fuck this is an eye opening one. freetards should be gassed

>freetards should be gassed

and it's taken you this long to realise?

>implying you need any foundation in OSS
>implying it has anything to do with loonix
>implying the shekels are not diverted to:
>We use funds generated by the program to help drive our diversity and inclusiveness programs. With the help of our community, we have supported: Women Who Code (WWCode), a global non-profit organization dedicated to inspiring women to excel in technology careers; Transtech, an incubator for LGBTQ with a focus on empowering transgender people; Free Geek, which recycles and refurbishes used computers and provides desktop training for underserved populations; #YesWeCode, which is focused on training low-opportunity youth to become high-level coders; and Outreachy, an initiative that coordinates and underwrites programming internships for women, transmen, and genderqueer people.

imagine the shock when people learn MS is a platinum member

I can imagine you literally being excited over reading this, prompting you to type in full caps because in real life you would scream out of top of your lungs like the adhd child you are.

both of their points are viable. Landuke is more down to the earth because he couldn't feed his kid by developing free software (now he makes a living only by promoting Linux) and Stallman is also right because non-free software is ethically wrong and should be banished (at least on the way it exists now). There is just no right answer but this is comedy gold:
>Lunduke: Are you actually putting the needs of having no non-free software above the needs of me feeding my kid?
>Stallman: Absolutely. I don't see any difference between what you're saying and what a thief would say trying to justify what he's doing.
It always amazes me how authistic Stallman is.

t. buttmad commie

> Linux Foundation
> irrelevant corporate bullshit that has always been violently opposed to freedom

nihil nove sub sole

Why does this matter? Why do you care what OS others run? This isn't an objective metric of quality, it's just popularity.

Macshills sure get desperate at the time of a new Apple keynote.

I think that he may tried to explain that a programmers job is producing code and by choosing to work for a company that makes proprietary software they are using their work to help unethical companies steal money/freedom from general population.
Which is a valid point if you consider that you can sell free software ,and that most bigger companies producing free software pay their programmers (just much less probably).
He tries to explain it by saying that programmers are a high paying job which most americans dont have etc, so they maybe should move to a lower paying job (working on free software) to reduce the monopoly that proprietary software allows.
Mind that he is autistic so genrally if someone takes money for producing software that "denies freedom" of users or sells data/etc (his point on "ms working on services") is in his mind stealing peoples money/freedom/data for personal gain.
Not that i agree because most people don't care about others knowing what they do online or abot modyfing source code of software for their own use, but if you read any modern proprietary license you can plainly see that most licenses are not the definition of being ethical with users.

How is non-free software unethical?

Proprietary software tends to have malicious features. The point is with a proprietary program, when the users don't have the source code, we can never tell. So you must consider every proprietary program as potential malware.

--Richard Stallman

you are new here, aren't you?

Imagine just a second if Tim Cook ran Windows on his personnal computer
or if Satya Nadella was using a Chromebook
or if Sundar Pichai's phone was an iPhone

Oh, so the argument is that you're paying for software is like paying for malware, right?

Yes. Yes, i am. So?

>imagine if Apple's CEO ran a Microsoft OS
>imagine if Microsoft's CEO used Google hardware
>imagine if Google's CEO used an Apple device
None of these are comparable. Linux is a kernel that's used everywhere, that doesn't mean it's the best everywhere.

It doesn't matter if you pay. It's like you buy or get a chair. But to own that chair you have accepted an agreement which states that you can not give that chair to anybody or modify it in any way.
The government says that kind of manufacturer behavior is fine, and some people disagree. Some of those make their own chairs and specifically only give them to people who accept an agreement under which they can modify the chair and give it away, but only if they extend the rights from that same agreement to the persons being given the chair.

>No wonder why Linux is a joke in America
it's a joke everywhere else as well, except on a very "hidden" devices
>Even Linux has so much potential to be commercial while preserving the open source philosophy, but they are still fucking that up too.
No it doesn't, Linux doesn't have a corporation behind it's software, and that is bad because nothing forces nobody to fix Linux, should it get fucked at somepoint

Do you think the CEO of ford drives a Fiesta?

No, but that's because people are lining uo to be the CEO of Ford. I bet the CEO of some no-name chinese car manufacturer isn't driving cars his company produces.

>buy product
>don't own anything, be unable to sell or give your copy to another person
>license allows one copy with limited reinstalls
>software gathers user data for the company, and it can be later redistrubuted/sold
>software license restricts your usage scenarios (for personal use/development/production)
>you cannot modify and/or make copies of the software for your own use
Only argument on why it is ethical is "because you agree to it by buying/using the software", but often you have no choice because you want to feed your children.

>There are plethora of reasons to use it and a lot of points to make stress on when marketing it to folks
There are multiple corporations running Windows AD servers because it has support, if the Login,or something else, goes fucky you can contact Microsoft for it.

While with Linux you have kinda the same thing but if you are already running SMB or something else with Microsofts branding that means you need to find alternatives, if there are ones

Tl;Dr Corporations don't want to change because it fucks the working ecosystems in their IT

*tip*

This, but then Apple comes and patents it as an iChair.

the motherfucking entire internet runs on linux
ǃǃǃ
just tile and compile all of your shit and you'll be better than alright

okay, so basically every piece of software is a code. A code is a command that tells to your computer to do certain things to achieve certain results.
So by using closed source program you basically lend a right to do anything with your personal computer to a company that manufactured this particular software. And so happens that creators of non-free software are trying to abuse their power as much as they can by installing backdoors, unwanted functionality, restrictions etc. in their software. Also all software is basically a product that restricts you to do anything with it even if you own the product. Imagine that you bought a car which restricts you to change a wheel when it's flat (we are getting there) without using an official servisce which may come to your help when they will get to their next release but that's not really their focus right know because installing new advertisment in your navigation system is more important to them right now.

Wasn't Ubuntu supposed to be idiot friendly?
I get a new surprise every day. Year of the Linux desktop my ass.

holy shit and pissǃ
there's a gui for fucking everything nowdays