I have a total luddite client, I think in his 70s who needs a new tablet and wants my recommendation

I have a total luddite client, I think in his 70s who needs a new tablet and wants my recommendation.

I originally recommended the Surface 3 to him because he saw NFL announcers using it to draw on things and he wanted the ability to write notes on anything on the screen.

Unfortunately, while I looked into it and the surface SHOULD have been able to do this, by taking a screenshot with the pen, writing on the screenshot, and hitting the email button to send, it simply bugged out at the email step and this guy is not smart enough to save a file somewhere and then email that separately.

On top of that, the cellular internet connection will drop out, and the driver will need to be re-installed occasionally, making this a terrible choice for a technology crippled old guy.

So now I am looking at recommending he get a iPad pro and use remote desktop to do most of his work from his office windows machine, or taking another crack at the Surface by recommending the 2017 version.

Does anyone here have any recommendations either way? Has Microsoft worked out the issues with their Surface line, or should I expect it to have major issues like the S3 did?

Other urls found in this thread:

thurrott.com/mobile/microsoft-surface/132728/consumer-reports-microsoft-surface-dead-last-reliability
youtube.com/watch?v=8KJjRPIWGTI
youtube.com/watch?v=aebUNgMhQV4
youtube.com/watch?v=xAI6yIZI3rg
ifixit.com/Teardown/Microsoft Surface Laptop Teardown/92915
youtube.com/watch?v=A_GlGglbu1U
youtube.com/watch?v=eML6MhTVnjU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

As a side note, I tried for HOURS of googling and trying suggested fixes, and even calling microsoft support and troubleshooting to try and get the fucking email feature to work from the screenshot menu.... Apparently I was not the only one who was trying and failing to find a way to get this feature to work on the S3

>dealing with 70 year Olds and technology

>Tfw an iPad Pro is a better Surface Pro than a Surface Pro

He and his lawfirm were my first client when I started my IT company. He's a super nice guy and is fully aware that he isn't very computer literate.

>Consumer Reports: Microsoft Surface is Dead Last for Reliability

>The consumer advocates at Consumer Reports have delivered a stunning blow to Microsoft: The nonprofit organization has pulled its recommendations for Surface products, citing an industry-worst failure rate.

and guess who's the best...

>Apple stands out as being the most reliable laptop brand. Microsoft, on the other hand, is less reliable than most other brands. Due to its comparatively higher breakage rate, Microsoft laptops cannot be recommended by Consumer Reports at this time.

>But as Consumer Reports notes, the reliability of Apples laptop and tablet products are consistently the most highly rated by its readers. So whether you believe that MacBooks and iPads are innovative, they are indeed the most reliable products of their kind.
thurrott.com/mobile/microsoft-surface/132728/consumer-reports-microsoft-surface-dead-last-reliability

Then there's an issue with that alcantara cover that's non-removable and attracts dirt like crazy. Oh, and it also degrades and becomes hard as a rock after a year.

youtube.com/watch?v=8KJjRPIWGTI
youtube.com/watch?v=aebUNgMhQV4

Surface is junk for literally everything.

>iFixit grades MS Surface Laptop 0/10
>The Surface Laptop is not a laptop. Its a glue-filled monstrosity. There is nothing about it that is upgradable or long-lasting, and it literally cant be opened without destroying it.

youtube.com/watch?v=xAI6yIZI3rg

ifixit.com/Teardown/Microsoft Surface Laptop Teardown/92915

Install Gentoo on the Surface Pro.

>taking a look at Microsoft's abortion from 2015 and not taking a look at the 2 revamps from the past 3 years
Retard. Walk into a Best buy or some shit and try the surface pro 5 yourself.
ALSO
>ipad
>remote desktop
Double retard.

SP3 is a steaming pile of shit. Just tell him to get an iPad Pro.

>>ipad
>remote desktop
>Double retard.

i've been using iPad's to RDP since the fucking 1ST generation iPad came out in 2010. with a BT keyboard and mouse it's flawless. You literally do not need anything more powerful to run a fucking RDP client.
Triple Retard

iPad Pro is a lot better than a surface, cheaper too considering you gotta get the middle to high end models on the surface to have something worth using.

Ipad pro is good if he likes to be entertained by candy crush and other brightly colored apps. Otherwise the surface 5 is for everything else for professional use. Why else do you think the NFL uses them instead of ipad pros? Since he's also 70+ years old he's also likely to scratch the fucking thing too. Only the surface has gorrila glass.

Yes I know it works with remote desktop. The difference is that one connection is a Microsoft computer to Microsoft computer versus a kiddie playtoy to a Microsoft computer. Which so you think is going to be better. Retard.

Remote desktop is pretty much exactly the same on android/iOS/Windows/MacOSX

The only difference might be the ease of setup, which I will be doing, and the copy and paste features between the local and remote machine, which he will not be using either way.

He has used remote desktop on his Macbook Pro and his Macbook Air to get into his work machine for years without problems.

Sure Pajeet in here.

The surface can certainly do more, I had his S3 VPN'd into their work network so he could access shares locally, and use their out-dated shitty windows programs like "verdict" and "word perfect" locally.

However, if the thing won't keep a cellular connection, and if it is buggy and doesn't behave smoothly and reliably, he will get frustrated and want to chuck it.

I can go to bestbuy, play with a Surface 2017 and see if it can do everything I need it to. But that is not going to tell me if it is going to spit out it's own 4g cellular driver 3 months from now, or if it will have other frustrating bugs.

Thanks for the very helpful response. I was mainly trying to figure out if Microsoft had made it's surface line more reliable, and if this information is current, that is clearly not the case.

iPad Pro it is.

The NFL uses them because Microsoft paid them too. You can see them hiding their iPads all the time. And RDP on the iPad to a Windows machine works great.

Aren't these the same tards that would call a car unreliable because boomers couldn't use the infotainment?

Now this is why I'm fucking confused. You come to Sup Forums to get answers that you should have gotten yourself had YOU NOT BEEN SO FUCKING AFRAID TO ASK SOME QUESTIONS TO YOUR FUCKING CLIENT. Your client already told you what he wanted. You already know the surface can do more. It's clear he's paying for it. So why the fuck do you care about getting him an inferior device? You on commission or something? Seeing that he saw this shit in a football game he probably has a favorite team too, so you can hook him up with a non alcantara keyboard with his favorite team logo on it. Seems like he'll be more satisfied with a surface than an ipoor phablet that you're trying to stick up his ass.

The client isn't always right. OP is doing his job by being skeptical about the surface, mainly because they're garbage. An iPad is more reliable, more durable, and won't have driver issues, all while being able to do exactly what he wants to do, remote into a PC and use a pen.

>SP3 with driver issues
Is it 2014 again?

Are you implying that Windows has zero driver issues in current year?

Works on my Surface ;^)

you can't fool me! no one actually bought a surface

I'd r8 it an 8/10, it's okay

I will admit that it was total fucking dogshit when I bought 3 years ago, wifi was the worst offender with speeds slowing down to 1mbps all the time
I'm done school now though, so I'll probably replace it with an XPS running Ubuntu or something if I find it getting slow. Keep it around to read comics and mangu because this screen is still very nice

Interesting thanks for the insight, user. I'm a macfag, but I think the Surfaces are pretty nice devices, if a little expensive. I'd probably buy a budget one for Windows-only uses.

>>RDP on the iPad to a Windows

>the only way to make a fruity toddler toy useful is to remote desktop to a full desktop windows PC

>rather than just running Windows on the tablet in your hands

You should wait until next year or maybe until they announce the surface line update later this year.
Absolute pure sex youtube.com/watch?v=A_GlGglbu1U

You could run windows on an underpowered tablet, or you could RDP into a usable desktop machine with a usable tablet. Windows' touch interface is still pretty awful.

But the client is always right, and OP needs to do his fucking job by asking what the client does. It is not OP's job to sell the client an underperforming device based on what OP feels and not the client.

>iShit
>usable

>pretending lagPad on top of RDP lag is usable

>iPad
>lag
they run iOS not android, user.

Nobody beats the pencil feel of an iPad.

>oh, i hear apple released a new lagPad today, let me look it up on this lagPad i bought last year

>I don't know how partner/client relationships work
OP obviously already knows what the client does, since he stated he's been working with him for a long time. If you actually read the thread instead of just shilling for Microsoft you might understand, but you didn't and you don't.

Apple pencil is fucking trash and can't even detect tilt properly. Fuck off Tim Cuck.

>tilt
not applerista but learn to fucking draw niiggear

Dear god this was a problem on my iPhone 3G, I didn't know they still did this

Microsoft makes an official RDP client for iOS you retard. and why would you want to use a fucking SP3 for remote work when shit barely gets 2h of battery life on a good day while an iPad will last you 10h+

>lagPad
>battery life

Good joke.

Dunno what Surface you're using that gets 2 hours of battery life

>hurr durr u dun understand
Bitch I've worked in dealerships for almost 14 years. Your idiot ass is the equivalent of someone trying to get a 4x4 for offroading and you trying to sell them a prius cause better mileage and customer service.

youtube.com/watch?v=eML6MhTVnjU

HE HAD A FUCKING SURFACE 3 THAT I RECOMMENDED ORIGINALLY AND HE HATES IT.

I wanted the Surface 3 to work out for him but MICROSOFT's shitty fucking software fucked it up by not letting him email snapshots (troubleshot to hell, including with MS support and NO fix) and by having the cellular driver need to be re-installed occasionally.

If Microsoft could get their shit together and have their software be stable, then the Surface would have worked out great and I wouldn't have just bought him an iPad a few minutes ago.

I'm not going to risk ordering a Surface Pro 2017 just to have similar issues and him be similarly frustrated.

They are certainly nice hardware, and if they could just iron out all the damn software bugs it'd be a solid device.

>car dealership
Oh yeah, leasing minivans is exactly the same as doing IT. Please continue to enlighten us with car analogies.

>dat lag and errors...
Wow... Surface is total shit compared to iPad. Who would have thunk it.

The client readily admits he doesn't know shit and is relying on me to provide him with what he needs, and can use effectively given his limited technical knowledge.

The Surface can do more, but the iPad can do what he needs, emails and edit word documents locally with a nice interface he is used to on his iPhone, and the legacy windows applications he can use over RDP like he is accustom to doing already.

It would be nice if the surface was reliable, but if he is traveling abroad and there is a problem it is very hard for him to contact me and remotely fix it so I need to get him the most reliable option available: iPad.

>he is traveling abroad

Why are you trying to murder a nice 70 year old man?

>you're exploding it wrong

You don't need to explain how you do your job to a salesman. He's conflating selling snake-oil to actually supporting a client.

Ooooh scary headlines. Certainly those couldn't possibly be sensationalized.

This image mentions android once and apple devices 6 times! Pretty conclusive that android devices are all save and apple's will all explode!

All lithium ion batteries have the potential to explode. If it explodes on him, he will certainly not be blaming me.

Plus I got him the extended warranty so if there are hardware issues, to the apple store it goes. I can fix practically any desktop, most laptops, but I'm not going to bother with a tablet or smart phone.

samsung will literally try to kill you.

Yeah that warranty's going to do him real good when his plane explodes.

Hes familiar with windows, making him learn the convulsed bullshit apple uses would be more trouble than any issue with the surface

This probably doesn't apply because of the age difference, but my wife and I gave her father an iPad around 5 years ago. He's currently on his second. He's an old Chinese man in his 80s who hasn't touched a computer since the sixties when he was in charge of a missle battery in Long Island. .

He uses it every day. He skypes the family, watches shitty Chinese movies on YouTube while playing them on his tv, loads pictures onto it from his camera, uses gmail...

I was really blown away at how quickly he was able to use it. It's very intuitive. He also went to some old-people classes at the library. .

>a technology illiterate that's frightened of technology is able to use a device made solely for technology illiterate technophobes

rly maeks u thnk...

And mactoddlers wonder why they get shat on on a technology board.

>needs a new tablet
What does he have today?

Personally, I'd recommend something simple, cheap, and compatible with legacy Windows apps.
Thinkpad S230u convertible is a good bet, though battery life is shit. Then again, when is a guy in his 70s ever mobile?

The iPad. If he's ever gets into some situation where he's lost, just hit the home button and he returns to a familiar spot.

What about the latitude 5285?

Get him the iPad 12.9
Its good for basic stuff and for what he wants it for. A lot of people here are completely missing the point of '70 yo person needing a tablet.
Cheaper option would be the galaxy s3. But for him I think ios 11 will suffice. And honestly, iOS 11 has improved it a lot.
Please stop pretending everyone is a loonix thinkpad user like yourselves.

POO IN LOO

An iPad is not an iphone and they refresh their models not every year, so they become 'obsolete' at a much lower rate. A lot of people still use very dated ipads, because they are not intended for heavy use. They still sell iPad airs here.

I recommend you kill yourself, you fucking shit smear.

Literally pixar and disney uses it as their main mobile devices for drawing.
But yeah sure you can't draw on them.
I hate ppl just spreading lies...

IPad 4 is right now super fast(seriously no lag at all) and look how old is it. Amazing tablet.

I'm in love with the iPad Pro due that 120Hz true tone display, use it for school work and had no issues with it as far as feeling limited compared to a regular laptop.

Having said that, my friend did just get the newest Surface Pro and it was super nice and fast, but he dropped like $2.5k for his model so idk how well a Surface Pro would perform if you were to get one near the price range of an iPad Pro.

>iPhone, Mac Mini, Trackpad, and you have an unbiased opinion of the iPad Pro.
I have the iPad Pro too, but you're just being a fanboy with that image.

Why wouldn't you be part of the ecosystem if you went as far as getting an iPad Pro?
Everything works together flawlessly

see

>why would you not buy a full selection of apple products if you just bought one apple product?

this is actually how these people think

Curry break is over. Get back to your call station.

>screen is still very nice

yeah, I owned three surface devices and moved onto thinkpads, I miss the screen of the pro 3. It was great.

Not missing the fan sound or hardware failures (two surfaces died on me)

I was looking for a thread like this because I wanted to discuss MS v Mac. I just bought a 12 inch Surface Pro 4 for $600, running the Intel 5 with 128 gig. Came with detachable keyboard included. It doesn't suck, it updated a few times, synced with my shit, and ran cool as I could ask for the last six hours.

I'm not exactly complaining. It just takes a little getting used to.

>Surface Pro 3

Do they even make these anymore? keep up dude.