/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Strap Guide: pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/mBFI8ScdE4E
pastebin.com/bt3Xk1eh
youtu.be/eSMjUsHwDRA
youtu.be/Dv-NzmPJW3A
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>say that it's impressive that the last generation Apple watch beat entire watch companies
>somehow BTFO themselves
What did you mean? Hodinkee was giving credit where credit was due hardly a btfo.

Nice. What kind of movement?

Yes.

Fuck off, shitposter.

That's an esa9162, a 2nd gen tuning fork movement.

I like to wear a DW in most situations.
I have a designated sports watch for that kind of stuff, it's the casio a158.

Cool.
>344/SR42/SR1136 battery
Fuck, that's an uncommon battery. Have fun trying to buy one from any watchmaker.

>we wear the Apple Watch because it’s the best smartwatch of its kind and it will probably be the last watch we ever own.
The last watch you ever own for a whole year until you throw it out and buy the new model? I can at least understand any other valid argument in favor of smart watches over mechanical watches, but what the fuck are these people smoking?

That is way too big for you, wristlet

My favourite thing about the apple watch is they improve every part of it by a little, except the battery life. The latest release was filled with "and this saves battery life" only to end saying it's the same battery life as the last model.

The angle makes it look too big.

No, it really is too big. Even with that angle it swallows your wrist.

Angle doesn't change the fact the lugs overhang your wrist. Think about how the lugs and your wrist are effectively on the same plain in that picture and that means camera distortion is minimal if not non-existent.

>ywn own a rolex
why even live

B...but user, a Rolex is going to be the next watch I buy.

Can anyone compete with such a bracelet? Literally a flawless jubilee if I've ever seen one.

Rolex makes the best bracelets, period.

But they are pretty affordable 2bh. If you really want one save and get it.

never realized just how shitty these look up close
also that backward D what the fuck

They're not exactly rare. Just stop buying shitters.

i'm ready to graduate from my timex and casio collection
what do i do with these
?

shitter

youtu.be/mBFI8ScdE4E

this is honestly the best advice anyone can take. I see idiots on here with 15 Seiko including vintage ones that they send to get serviced directly after purchase. Save your money and buy good watches. If you wont have 5 grand for at least 5 years get one 200 dollar watch now and wait.

Anyone ordered from seiyajapan before?

Yes, just a buckle though.

Are you just shitposting or does it not occur to you that some people collect vintage watches?

I haven't ordered from him, but Seiya's reputation is pretty much as solid as they come. I wouldn't hesitate to order from him.

Ty

its more just about how people waste money. if the entire sake of your collection to get vintage watches its obviously not a big deal but buying a bunch of fucked up old seikos is not really a great way to spend money. Unless you are claiming multiple people on this board specifically only want vintage seikos.

There are at least two /wt/ regulars who collect vintage Seikos and more who have and enjoy at least one vintage Seiko watch. Hell, it might be more accurate to say I mostly collect vintage watches in general, with some exceptions for new watches.

Why is the SARG005 damn near perfect?

Look we are moving far away from my original statement. I just meant its bad to waste money on a lot of watches you don't want as much as a really good watch.

>that you don't want as much
Who are you to say what people do and do not want?

what?

Is this autism?

"I just meant its bad to waste money on a lot of watches you don't want as much as a really good watch."
>watches you don't want as much

What don't you understand about what I said?

I guess being literate and being able the think for yourself is autistic now, isn't it?

i am saying watches you(as in anyone reading the comment) don't want as much. i was saying this so you would ignore my original comment about seiko and use the advice to save up for a the more expensive watch you want. Most people want a more expensive watch. if you like collecting 40 dollar watches and don't want a nice watch then obviously you are in the small subset that should ignore this advice. i am not telling anyone to like or do anything. judging by your crippling autism you should probably avoid any future attempts at communication with other human beings however.

oh its you again who thinks everyone is one person. well just fuck off already.

Had a long flight so I put together a pastebin on some watch basics - suggestions for additions welcome.
pastebin.com/bt3Xk1eh

This is pretty good ill give it a read and see if i can add anything. Thanks for posting it here!

No matter how much I want a Simplicity I'm not going to have one no matter how much I save. Your statement was presumptious in addition to being a shit blanket statement to make in the first place.

When did I call you the other guy? Don't get your panties in a twist.

No >muh minimalism bullshit and not super fancy or overly complicated.

>I just meant its bad to waste money on a lot of watches you don't want as much as a really good watch.
Sure, and that's sensible advice. I was just pointing out that such a description is unlikely to apply to people who collect vintage watches. People rarely deal with the additional work of collecting vintage watches unless they have a specific interest in them.

how was it presumptuous? it was just advice saying don't buy a bunch of shitters if you are saving for a more expensive watch. Yu are fucking nitpicking the way i wrote my post to fit your crazy fucking thought process. If you are not saving up for a more expensive watch then don't fucking think about the post it doesn't apply o you. if you go back up the comments you can see someone wanted a rolex.

it doesn't i honestly thought people were buying those seikos because their couldn't afford other watches i genuinely had no idea people collected old cheap watches. it was a bad example but if you are in that subset then then the advice is obviously not for you and can be ignored i did not make a formula for watch collecting.

I honestly just now realized half this thread is a semantic argument about a statement i thought was pretty simple and benign aimed at one person who said they wanted a Rolex and people like him. I am going to go ahead and go to sleep now and never come back to this shit hole again.

>never come back to this shit hole again.
good riddance

Copped my first nomos rep. The dial is printed with a laser printer I'm pretty sure.

Something seems off about it.

Reminder that her name is Tristana

Post nice dials

Stop hating on he governor!

the ultimate poor man's collection

>her current name is not Issota

cultureless plebs gtfo

Next service project, a Ronda 1377 from around 1975, inside an Etna Quartzonic (don't bother Googling it, you'll find nothing, must have been one of those Swiss parts assembler microbrands).

The date won't advance from the 6th, I'm really hoping it's not a broken/worn date wheel tooth, but it most likely is. At least there's still a shitton of Ronda 1377 parts around.

The latest Hodinkee watch talk is the perfect example of old money watch.

youtu.be/eSMjUsHwDRA

>108000bph
>0.3s/day guaranteed accuracy
>completely new type of balance
How can Grand Seiko recover?

Also RIP repfags, as this is probably impossible to reverse-engineer and copy with Chink manufacturing technology.

The case design is niggagay af though, it's sad to see a great manufacturer like Zenith has gone full Invicta.

>Megasonic
And the frequency is below even a kilohertz?? Ludicrous.

How is this different from the elaborate case finishes Seiko did in the 70's?

If this were an old KS/GS you weebs would be fisting your assholes over it.

How loud is it actually? The start of that video triggers me something chronic.
Do we know how the movment actually works yet?
Are they planning to put it in their other watches? Which ones and which price points? I have more answers but I'm sure we don't have answers yet, pretty exciting to tell the truth.
Doesn't knock the 8 day power reserve GS out of my most desired watch but I do want one watch with that movement.
And 100% impossible for current chinks to copy as it sounds like it has some special snowflake quartz in it.

That as sub dials for ants.

Daniels knew how to do it, pic. related.

>How loud is it actually?
>The start of that video triggers me something chronic.
>Do we know how the movment actually works yet?
>Are they planning to put it in their other watches?
>Which ones and which price points?
>I have more answers but I'm sure we don't have answers yet
Perhaps you could read the AB2W article, you autistic fuck? How do you even breathe on your own?

>quartz
fucking dropped

I'm sorry I didn't know it was nincompoop hour on /wt/ again. I'll come back later.

oh look another unique revolutionary escapement!
it should get in line with UN's three escapements and GPs constant force and that escapement from renaud and that senfine thing from parmigani and that thing debethune is working on.

these things are memes user, none of them will ever make it into mass production.

>hurr durr read the article
Somebody link it then. It's not in their video description or your post.

Quartz pieces are shitters.

>/wt/ has shitters shitting on GS for being quartz all day long
>shit on a different brands shitter quartz meme watch and you are a nincompoop
retard detected

>rages at someone for not reading an article
>article is no where to be found
>calls others autistic

Yeah, it can never be applied to mid-range watches even, maybe in a few decades when every shitter factory has tools for silicone parts manufacturing.

It's not a quartz, dumbshit. There's no quartz crystal anywhere in the watch, it's pure memenical.

>"OMG WE'RE'S THE ARTIKEL SOMEBODY HELP I'M A FUCKING RETARD PLEASE STERILIZE ME AND MY WHOLE FAMILY!!!!"
It's literally on the front page, you worthless dumb fucking animal. How do you even function?

Are you mentally deficient? It's a purely mechanical movement.

>Are you mentally deficient?
The absolute state of /wt/

does this prove that average attention span of /wt/ poster is 2 seconds?

Recommend a watch that has manual winding for less than $150? Happy to buy used or vintage. Basically, does something like a Seiko 5 exist while having hand winding

The Vostok Amphibia with the 420 case is 39mm, with pretty small lugs. I wear the beefier 710 case and it's still not very big. Also:
>automatic with manual winding
>200m diver
>steel case
>dozens of dial variations, endless modding options

B-but user...I'm 3/4 of the way there

One thing to keep in mind with Vostoks though is the lack of a normal date quickset. I don't mind it on mine, but if someone is looking for convenience (such as being able to hand wind) it should be considered.

This. You can maybe swing an orientation Bambino in that budget too

cool, thanks user

i thnk its fuck ugly but its only a 10 peice set. I just can't wait to see the oscillator in something else.

youtu.be/Dv-NzmPJW3A

I think you don't understand how cheap it is to manufacture mems parts. A company buys a few machines and they just pump out perfect pieces every time at almost no cost.

you just have to move the minute hand to 9 and past 12 its not that big of a deal

Hope you autists didn't scare away one of the watchmaker bros

I doubt watchmakers throw hissy fits at a whim's notice. They wouldn't last too long as watchmakers.

Wow, that is fucking cool. I actually like the case. Reminds me of old cast iron.

whats crazy is a company like Seiko could churn out a million of these watches for almost no money and sell them for 200 dollars. Can't wait till the chinks make these

I fix watches and I have feelings too asshole.