/pcbg/ - PC Building General - Epyc Eclipse Edition

if you want help:
>Assemble parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560 - poverty-tier builds
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R5 1400 - If you need multithreading
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use, not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>VEGA
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 or Vega 56 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM, 3200 MHz is ideal

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor

Other urls found in this thread:

tomshardware.com/answers/id-2226658/cut-hyper-212-evo-work.html
youtube.com/watch?v=HORoL4_l2ww&t=3m10s
amazon.com/Custom-i7-7700K-Windows-Desktop-Computer/dp/B01IA0M94G/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8
pcpartpicker.com/product/jZJkcf/asus-geforce-gtx-1060-6gb-dual-video-card-dual-gtx1060-o6g
amazon.com/Custom-i7-7700K-Windows-Desktop-Computer/dp/B0718Y7MK5/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8&th=1
youtube.com/watch?v=cLg1YwH0QOA&
amazon.com/Roadpro-RPS1020-Phillips-Screwdriver-Magnetic/dp/B007ISYR6K/ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1505347970&sr=1-5&keywords=phillips head screwdriver
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Anyone used the Seasonic Focus PSU?

It's a recently released line so doubtful, but Seasonic is KNOWN for fantastic PSU's

Their new line, meant to replace the G/S12G.
It's gotten good reviews.

>G4560 - poverty-tier builds
Threadly reminder that you can just buy a used Dell Optiplex 7010 with an i5 3570 for literally the same price as a G4560 and still get better performance in video games when you add a GPU.

Can anyone help me with a build? I am looking for a ryzen build, budget of about $1000

but then you have to factor in the costs of a new PSU and graphics card

Which you don't have to do if you're building a new system with a G4560? Someone who's actually on a poverty tier budget doesn't spend $80-100 on just a CPU

Used
30-day warranty
Old platform
Thanks for posting. Again.

How fucked am I.
My case wont close with my cooler. I bought a hyper cooler evo for a fractal design mid tower. But the copper ends wont let the case close.
Should I do something desperate like drill holes in the case for the copper tips to go through, or cut the copper tips off.

I would grind down the copper bits. Probably not a big deal if it it's not too much.
Pretty surprised a popular cooler can't fit in a mainstream, common case like that.

R5 1600 - $200
b350 mobo - $75-100 (these and psus commonly have rebates, shop around and maybe wait if no deal is currently going on)
250GB m.2 SSD - $100
Case -$50-100
PSU - $75 (550-750W, again due to constant recurring rebate deals, you can often get nice big PSUs for the same price as their smaller iterations, shop around or wait for deals)
3200mHz RAM - $150 (pick the one you like, just ask here first before you order)
$150 - GTX1050 ti

Now the rest you can spend or save as you please

got one for my new build, 650W

seems good, what else can i really say its been a week

the box is really nice and it has nice bags for the cords

HI GUYS

IS 8700k GOING TO BE GOOD BASED ON LEAKS?

It will probably be something like a 7700K with two more cores, more or less.
Good will depend on price.

NO

They're refurbished enterprise machines you idiot, I still haven't seen a single argument for why buying used is supposed to be problem when you spend a lot less money to get better performance. It being an old platform is also irrelevant since the upgrade path for buying the G4560 is shit and will also be an old platform as soon as Coffee Lake is released. The only argument for buying the G4560 is the iGPU, if you're going to add a GPU then you get the 1200.

The only valid argument is the 30 day warranty but even if it fails you're only out $100 bucks. And again, there's no logical reason for why the hardware would randomly fail at any higher rate than buying new components unless you're buying used mining equipment or something, hardware lasts a really long time if you don't treat it like a retard.

Not unless they keep the price the same, but the current rumor is that they jacked it up to a ridiculous level.

Wouldn't the R5 1400 / GTX1060 3GB be a better deal?

Id apparently have to completely cut them off.
The case can only use coolers of 148mm, the evo is 149mm without the copper tips, 158mm with.
I got the evo for $18 and I have the stock cooler, so Im not completely against experimenting.
I just have the side panel laying against the case right now.

Maybe you can return the cooler?

WHAT PRICE WOULD YOU CONSIDER GOOD?

Unlikely :_;

rib in beace

>They're refurbished enterprise machines you idiot
Do you know what "refurbished" means? Used.
>you spend a lot less money to get better performance
The Ivy Bridge i5 has better performance than a G4560, but not by that much. Akin to buying an R3 1200.
>It being an old platform is also irrelevant
I'd rather have the option for a 7700 over a 3770.
>The only argument for buying the G4560 is the iGPU
Pretty sure the refurbished Dell should have an IGP as well.
>but even if it fails you're only out $100 bucks
And the hassle of getting yet another one, transferring data (unless it was lost entirely), etc. Not everyone has the time and patience to tinker.

But you're ultimately making an unnecessarily bad argument. There are plenty of prebuilt machines that are new that can be found at great prices, with warranties, new platforms, everything. People don't like them here, I've discovered. The simple reason being: people want to put it together themselves.

It's impossible to say, since we don't know the performance.

you are retarded and dont cut off the copper tips.
If you side panel doesnt close, just leave the side panel slightly on. Airflow is notthat important as long as you have intake and exhaust fans around your cpu cooler.

but you wont listen to me because you have literal autism

>tomshardware.com/answers/id-2226658/cut-hyper-212-evo-work.html
Cant cut the copper tips. So now Im debating if I should drill into the case, or switch back to stock. Buy a new cooler or buy a new case.

why would you even buy a g4560 for more than $70? I can buy a 1200 for $99 and spend the same amount of money that you would on a b350 is you bought a b250 for intel

Wow thanks for the useless post.

not useless you faggit. You dont cut off the tips you fucking jew. just leave the side panel not fully closed

did i fuck up buying an mATX board instead of an ATX board

Worse single threaded than 7700k.
Worse multi threaded than 1600.

What do you think

1070 Ti was "rumored" to be released. Will the 1060 have its turn?

Taking into account price inflation, you'd be looking at a G4600, at least in the US.
Price difference between that and an R3 1200 is $20 (85-105)
Is it worth it? You aren't doing workstation tasks on an R3, and general usage is a wash. For gaming, the difference isn't that big. It's a call the buyer needs to make.

for gaming, I saw benchmarks that show same avg fps but 1200 has much better minimums fps.

I bought a r5 1400 for $130 so I dont care, im just curious as to the point of an expensive pentium.
I remember g4560 selling for under $60 3 months ago. that seemed like a good deal for a 3.6 ghz cpu+mobo combo under $100

Yes, as the price has climbed the G4560 is increasingly a bad deal. You'd be looking at a G4600.
The problem is that it starts jumping too close to the R3 to have a well defined place. But if you don't have it, the cheapest CPU you end up recommending is $100, which is unacceptable for many people. When your budget is so small, even meager increases in price can be a problem.
You could recommend Bristol Ridge, and for basic tasks it's okay. But their iGPU is still not that great, and pairing them with a dGPU has pretty bad results, and on this board most people want to game, even on a budget.

So if I skip the top and bottom guides near the screws, I might be able to get it to snap on the front of the case and screw on to the back of the case for it to """close"""
Will this damage the heat pipes being under this kind of pressure.

I think the G4560 was a fluke honestly. I've seen Celerons sell for the same price.

or the mobo under it as well is a concern

what do you mean? I think it was an excellent cpu for that microcenter combo for $100

you are retarded fuck off

The G4560 was intended to prevent cheap Excavator CPUs and APUs from gaining marketshare. Intel didn't mind cannibalizing their own i3 line if it meant shutting AMD out of the market.

well looks like intel has fucked them selves then if they cost $80 now

Is there a guide to dismantle a computer?
I bought a custom PC from a friend and he built it for me, but I'd like to learn how to dismantle it for maintenance and replacement of parts.

How can I tell if a tower has a internal DVD drive slot on PCPartPicker?

Will the 1060 6GB go down in price anytime soon? It's nearly $150 more than the 1050 TI.

The prices rise due to demand. Because people are willing to pay the price.
It's not entirely analogous, and AMD isn't entirely happy with this state of affairs, but running out of GPUs due to the mining craze isn't entirely against AMD's interest. After all, they're selling cards.

Look at any building guide, and you'll get a general idea how to work backwards.

Go to thw store pages and look there
GPU prices don't look luke they willnfall for a while yet

im fucking scared that the RAM will be able to fit next to my wraith cooler

it looks extremely close

What board?
mATX is only a bit smaller than ATX

thanks for the useful post

The problem is when the demand stops the crash will be against their interest. Nobody except bitcoin investors win in the long run.

i was watching this build vid before starting myself

msi b350m gaming pro

youtube.com/watch?v=HORoL4_l2ww&t=3m10s

did he fuck up placing the cooler? it looks like he can only fit one ram on there

maybe im just paranoid

How fucked is Intel? They seem to be getting BTFO by AMD left and right lately.

mATX is just shorter ATX.

no you are fine. ALL RAM WILL fit with any stock cooler. If you have a different cooler, then you should check ram clearances.

Just ordered the components for my first build ever, they should start arriving next week.

What the fuck do I do until then? Every time I use my current computer I feel like I want to throw it out of the window.

Definitely close, but it should fit.
Flip the cooler if that doesn't work.
They still have a giant market share and they are experts at running a supply chain.

the 8700k will literally take a shit on AMDs ASS

Are you guys sure?

If you have $300 which is way too much
Zen 2 is more promising

buy intel now or wait? I've had bad experiences with AMD and not sure if I want to commit to Ryzen.

If it doesn't work just take it back
99% sure that it was tested with stock cooler beforehand.
Don't go intel unless you want maximum 1080p gaming performance and want to delid

Just grab a screwdriver (a phillips head, preferably with a magnetic head), follow the basic rules of working on a rig, use some common sense and don't be a brainlet.
Here are the simple rules:
1) Always release the static from your body before touching anything sensitive. Just touch anything made of metal, even your case, and don't work on a carpet.
2) If it won't go in or won't come out, don't force it, you're probably doing something wrong.
3) Cable management is important, Don't let your cables get in the way of your fans.
4) When bolting something on that uses multiple screws, either start with the center screw (if there is one) or just start at whichever screw and then do the one at the exact opposite end. Always work diagonally, in other words.

Everything else is fairly simple. All the cables only go into one their proper socket easily and they only go in one way. The different screws might confuse you, just memorize where they all go.
Don't be afraid, opening your case is as simple as taking out the screws on the back of the side panel. You can clean it with a paintbrush, a bike pump or compressed air. Taking out the graphics cards is as simple as taking out the screw and PCI-E cables and pulling it out.

If you feel like you need any more help, just look at one of the THOUSANDS of build guides on youtube.

Depends on what you want to do.

would it maybe help turning the cooler around so the little "AMD" flap on the side of the cooler is facing the other way?

i hope it fits

Put the RAM in first and try it out that way and flip it if that gets in the way
I am sure it will work either way no matter what

>Just grab a screwdriver (a phillips head, preferably with a magnetic head)

any specific size?

alright, i just hope i wont mess up the paste, i dont have the alchohol nor new paste to apply

is the space bigger there on ATX boards? or is it only length

i had absolutely zero intention of using another GPU or anything, so i figured i might aswell save some money and go with a cheap small one, not sure if i fucked up now if shit wont fit

what graphics crad will you use?

amazon.com/Custom-i7-7700K-Windows-Desktop-Computer/dp/B01IA0M94G/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

Is this a scam guys? I smell a scam. Way too cheap.

pcpartpicker.com/product/jZJkcf/asus-geforce-gtx-1060-6gb-dual-video-card-dual-gtx1060-o6g

What a horrible value. For that money you can get 1080 Ti build.

They aren't getting BTFO though. They just need to redo their pricing with the new Coffee Lake. Intel is still a perfectly valid choice even now. AMD just finally manage to catch up (somewhat) in terms of performance and STILL has to rely on things like aggrssive pricings, "muh cores", offering unlocked CPUs and hinting at better upgradability.

That's a 1080Ti build though

so the space between a CPU/CPU cooler on an ATX should be as crammed as it on an mATX

It's 1080 or just Amazon opening the link wrong.

>NVIDIA GTX 1080 8GB

1600x
1060 3gb
32gb 2400
500SSD

Yeeeeeee. Will post speccy whenever all shit drivers installed. Highly aware 1060 3gb is a huge bottleneck but was way below MSRP at the time and is now currently 280+ at the same site. It's temp til this gpu shitstorm blows over. Everything was was bought at discount including a 1600x and Asrock ab350 gaming k4 $60 off combo.

How did you ever live without a solid state drive, anons?

If you're the kind of brainlet that kept bending the PGA pins, or you let your Athlon 64 run with bad cooling till it melted through the damn board, you belong with Intel and that will never change.
If you just bought Faildozer and was disappointed that it never got gud, don't worry Ryzen isn't like that.

Just make sure it's a Phillips. Maybe also get some plyers.

sorry I linked i wrong
This is the 1080Ti build
I think it's cheap because their PSU is garbage (which they don't list in specs, it's 500watts) + the GPU is just a 1080Ti, not Strix or whatever
Should I pull the trigger? building one from scratch nearly costs me the same, but I feel like there's a scam

> less than 4gb VRAM

you WILL regret that

amazon.com/Custom-i7-7700K-Windows-Desktop-Computer/dp/B0718Y7MK5/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8&th=1
I chimped out again :^)

most of them are called "bacho" or "stanely" the brands

>32 GB DDR4 2400

youtube.com/watch?v=cLg1YwH0QOA&

Don't do this:
Best options:
Sell the cooler and buy a smaller one that can fit in your case.
Worst option:
Get thin pieces of wood, paint them black, and then screw or glue them to the metal rim of the case. Then lightly glue the metal side on using a weak glue; like hot glue.

>CUK PC

You should be able to build a rig like that for cheaper and even get a XB271HU for couple hundred more.

16gb RAM will do just fine.
NVME SSD costs extra for nothing compared to normal SSD or SATA M.2
Low end liquid cooler for housefire.
No PSU info and it's low wattage for such high end rig.
Ugly ass gaymer case.

3GB isn't future proof sure, but it should do fine on most games at 1080p and below resolutions, and right now is not the time to buy a "future proof" card, what with graphics card prices being where they are, with Volta right around the corner (and the slim possibility that the mythical primitive shader drivers the AMD unpaid shills keep talking about somehow make Vega git gud).
Facy is the 6GB is not good value at all above 300$ and the 1050ti is 30% more expensive than the 1050 with barely a 15% performance difference. And of course AMD cards are shit out of wack right now. A Zotac 1060 3GB for 200 is exactly what the doctor ordered for the average poorfag right now.

Sorry if not the right thread for it but what's a good middle of the range laptop brand, something around $1k and can play low performance games and general internet use, already of a fairly beast pc and looking for something to bring to uni

I was going to build a similar rig, but it's pretty much just as expensive as this pre-built one (I don't live in the US) GPU's are too expensive right now, I'm really conflicted
also
>low end cpu cooler
how is corsair hydro 100v2 shit?

do I wait the month to get the i5-8600k or stay with the i5-7600k I just bought today

It doesn't matter the brand. Phillips is not the brand, it's the type of head. If it looks like this amazon.com/Roadpro-RPS1020-Phillips-Screwdriver-Magnetic/dp/B007ISYR6K/ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1505347970&sr=1-5&keywords=phillips head screwdriver it'll be fine.

Did you get the 7600k for a deal or regular price

Maybe it's just Amazon's shit web design but info said H60 and I read wrong.

Return it and kill yourself