Asus Zenbook

Was looking at Zenbooks. They look pretty good, wondering if anyone here has any advice/critiques.

Biggest thing for me if the screen and battery life.

I don't have a "Zenbook", but my ASUS laptop is basically the same as a Zenbook except slightly fatter?? maybe? It's the KU501U and I've honestly had no issues with it at all and it's as light as a feather compared to my much older "business laptop".

I would imagine the zenbook would be just as good. Not sure how long it'll last tho as I only used mine for about a year daily and then my work buy us all Dell xps laptops so I barely use my asus anymore desu.

They include a sleeve for a reason: aluminum bends. my old magnesium alloy asus still smooth as baby skin but my ux310 already has tiny bents
And read the specs carefully, some of zenbooks use TN panel instead of IPS

Posting from my ux303lb,
People saying these things have hinge issues is definitely true. I do editing and rendering on this and the heat causes the plastic in the hinge to bend and mine has cracked on one side.
Also an aluminum touchpad feels bad on your fingertip after using it for so long and if the power plug isn't grounded correctly when plugged in you can feel electricity on the back of the screen or where your palms rest from the keyboard.
If you get the high res screen, the glass is GLOSSY so i hope you like checking yourself out in your own screen. I'm planning on replacing mine in maybe a year.

K501UX here, the painted aluminum scratches to just about everything and it shows very well. Was unboxing the thing and one of the prongs on the charging cable glanced the lid. Shiny fucking scratch there.

Performance is solid but dual fans are LOUD. the machine looks nice I guess.

K series is always a good pick if you don't mind lugging around a few extra.

Zenbooks are a tad bit overpriced for what they bring to the table.

Some zenbooks pack the shitty 768p TN panels

Wow these things really sound like massive pieces of shit.

Looking at getting the deluxe with the 8th gen Intel processor
Is it worth it?

Damn the hinge issue sounds bad. I'm not too concerned about scratches but if it dents easy that sucks.

Trying to find a decently budgeted laptop with good screen and battery is a hassle.

I had an original 11" with sandy vagina. The build quality didn't impress me

Get an XPS instead

My issue is battery life. I don't know if they are replaceable.

Most are replaceable with just removing lots of torx screws

The zenbook seems pretty quiet.

Dope. The only issue that people seem to talk about is lack of light up keyboard. I never used one since I had 15.6 laptops with num pads.

The xps looks amazing as another user suggested but a little out of my budget. The touchpads can be annoying if they are too dry. Returned an Acer Aspire that kept getting my finger stuck when scrolling.

Dells have even worse build quality

Looking at the Zenbook flip right now and the build seems to be pretty good. Since it's designed to flip the hinges shouldn't be an issue. Cheaper than a dell too.

on a ux305f here
I've spilled water on the keyboard twice and nothing's broken from that. Battery life is at 4 - 5 hours full charge, I haven't really kept track.
The only complaints I have is that they included an hdmi mini instead of a full sized one.

Also if you use Debian as your os you'll have to use debian 8 or do some tweaking on the disc image since the newest version asks for wifi drivers that are not available and it doesn't need.

>overpriced
I saw something like ops image at best buy for ~$300 that seemed like an okay price to me, unsure if it's any good though

Damn I was hoping it had better battery life than that. I'll have to check out Best Buy tomorrow. Most things around that price are usually just chromebooks.

At this point I might even consider one but they have such tiny hard drive space. Will be mostly for typing and watching movies.

I have a ux305f.

Pros:
>slim
>13.3inches
>6 hours of browsing and video watching
>fanless
>amazing touchpad
>no power brick mid-cord
>cheap when used, >300 bucks
>matte 1080p display

Cons:
>Hinge is broken
>Out of production as far as i know
>Ubuntu runs like shit with horrible battery life (though an ArchVM went pretty smooth for a few hours of use)
>Windows crashes often bevause shit video drivers

All in all, install a lightweight distro and they are neat little shitpost and programming machines.

Does anyone know of a laptop like the UX501 but without the meme touch UHD display?

Glad to hear the touchpad is good. That was a concern too. I hate touchpads that are too stick to click. I'm going to try to find a good deal for one, thanks.