/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago (outdated - blame /csg/)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Huawei Mate 10 to come in three variants
gsmarena.com/huawei_might_launch_three_mate_10_variants-news-27246.php

Nokia 9 shows up on GFXBench running Android Oreo
gsmarena.com/nokia_9_now_shows_up_in_benchmarks_running_android_oreo-news-27240.php

The TrueDepth camera of the iPhone X works like the Xbox Kinect
gsmarena.com/truedepth_camera_of_iphone_x_works_like_the_kinect-news-27242.php

Sony H4233 with 6-inch display and Android Oreo spotted on GFXBench
gsmarena.com/sony_h4233_with_6inch_display_and_android_oreo_spotted_on_gfxbench-news-27238.php

iPhone X, iPhone 8 duo release dates and pricing across the world
gsmarena.com/iphone_x_iphone_8_and_iphone_8_plus_release_date_and_pricing-news-27233.php

HTC U11 Life will be HTC‘s first Android One Phone
twitter.com/LlabTooFeR/status/907870249458049024

iPhone X hands-on live from Apple Event 2017
youtube.com/watch?v=ZCQuasiJgYM

Apple iPhone X first look
youtube.com/watch?v=WYYvHb03Eog

iPhone 8 and 8 Plus hands-on live from Apple Event 2017
youtube.com/watch?v=o4Gh1dAifbs

old

Other urls found in this thread:

theunlockr.com/2014/10/13/how-to-root-the-samsung-galaxy-s5-active-2/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

U11 still best flagship

Just wanted to say something:

>iPhone X is shit, LG, Samsung, Xiaomi, Essential they all had edge to edge displays before Apple and the G6 is much more affordable...

>Note 8 is not worth it over a Galaxy S8, S pen is just a meme.

>LG V30 will be the best phone of the year but nobody will fucking buy it.

>OP5 is the worst OP phone ever.

>iPhone 8 is horribly 2015-ish...

>Apple bragging about wireless charging when Palm had it in 2009 and Nokia in 2012.

>iPad Pro is the best fucking tablet and Android isn't even trying.

>Huawei Mate 10 will be better than the Note 8 and more powerful too.

>Xiaomi will dominate the electronics world by 2030.

Hail kek

HTC has terminal cancer.

not while they're making Pixels they don't

the fuck is up with used phone prices. $40+ for galaxy ace 4. it's an ace 4 not an s4. ridiculous prices even for horribly outdated shit like s2

>still no Nokia 7
I'm gonna buy the x compact instead I guess. Or the x and go with sailfish OS.

I'm actually considering buying the iPhone X because I been wanting a phone that isn't just android. My HTC One M9 is a literal dumpster fire. This thing is like holding hot cup of water for hours on end and the camera quality is garbage. The property software is everywhere like the bullshit ATT apps they preloaded and have to disable them in settings and do not plan to root because of my family photos and other important documents on my phone. The only good thing about this phone is the DAC and the speakers.

I love Android but I want to try iOS for a change and i do not care for the price, just want to try their new flagship, see how it is, if it shit I'll just return it for my money and get a Samsung note 8

It's supposed to release next year in January

Saw some user talking about the amazon prime deal smartphones last thread, thought it seems like a cool idea since you can pay to remove the ad stuff. Just noticed though that it looks like it comes with non-ad shit installed; now I wonder if you can actually remove that crap or if it's permanently built into the OS.

>complains about bloatware
>if it shit I'll just return it for my money and get a Samsung note 8
>kek

Look at the into getting a pixle if you want to experience android

What kind of phone should I buy? On ATT, unlimited budget but still want to get my money's worth. Must have a headphone jack and last me hopefully 3 years. Plz no apple products

>thought it seems like a cool idea since you can pay to remove the ad stuff.
nigga what

the discount you get for allowing the ads is the whole point

Lg v30 since you clearly don't want s8.

I'm saying it's cool because you can save now and if it TRULY annoys you, you can get it gone later.

Nobody will buy the v30 because it looks just like a S8 except the S8 has better specs and only 500bucks BRAND NEW.

[spoiler]The LG v30 seems too good to be true, honestly.

Or maybe it's a PS4 situation where it's simply good by default since the competition shit the bed.[/spoiler]

>shitty bezels
>weird design
>no water resistant
>jewgle botnet

Yeah, no thanks user

True true

S8 with a case and screen protector. Still cheaper and better than the v30.

is motto g5 plus or g4 plus better/

>only 500bucks BRAND NEW
nice meme

Why would anyone pay more than $300 for a smartphone?

I'm currently using a moto g2 and want to switch to something similar but obviously better. Turns out I can get moto g5 (3gb version, not plus) for relatively cheap. Any reason not to get it? Is it decent enough for its price? Any better alternatives?

Oh boy op.
Tmobile unlocks super easy.

Some people do some dont.

$400+ gets you flagship-tier specs. better soc, screen, camera

I'm considering getting the p10 lite or p9. I'm more considered about battery life than performance. What alternatives should i consider at the same price range?

>""""mint""""
>""""new"""" (resale)
lmao

No argument.

fucking dodgy literally whos don't count. try real stores like amazon

Were you trying to prove something?

>now I wonder if you can actually remove that crap or if it's permanently built into the OS.
pls respond

where

Amazon used like new

>used """"like new""""
>brand new
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH kys kys kys

?
I posted a picture to brand new devices. Cheaper than Amazon and brand new.

read the sticker. the seller is dodgy as fuck. you don't know if they're stolen or if they get hobos to sign up for contracts and cops track you down and take the phone from you

Question. How good is lineageos at security updates? How long is it gonna take them to patch out that Bluetooth exploit for instance? If I root the new pixel to remove gapps, am I fucked out of getting updates?

Oh. All those sellers? Also, all the phones on the site?
495$ guy has 200+ reviews 5star

I've never owned anything but Motorola phones (Razr, OG Droid, Droid 4, Droid Turbo 2) and I'm in the market for a new phone but good God Motorola has gone to shit. Moto Mods are the stupidest shit on the planet. All the phones look like shit with those exposed pins (or whatever they are) and huge ass camera bumps, and all the mods are fucking retarded (gay ass garbage brand speakers, a bigger battery when the droid turbo 2 already had a big ass battery without looking like a turtle, and none of the new motorola phones have these sexy backs.

I fucking loved my turbo 2 (had some complaints but the pros far outweighed the cons) and now I need a new phone after Jamal swiped my shit, but everything feels like a letdown in some way (I can't even go back to 1080x1920.) The Galaxy S8+ looks good on paper but it has an ugly back and
>touchjizz

What do, /spg/?

"lightning controls"

the ones that claim mint instead of new might be legit

Are you a different user?

no

Had a go of a Mi6 in a Xiaomi store today and it was much smaller than I thought. Also, the store said that they don't do refunds.

Not sure I could bring myself to buy it.

If I do, I'll buy it from HK Goldway when I'm back in the UK so I at least have a chance of returning it if it's DOA

Looking to buy a new phone, tired of using iphone(currently have an iphone 6 plus), is the s8+ any good? Was also thinking of getting the OP5, that phone worth a look?

Jelly screen lottery for OP5. Don't recommend. Note 8 or Pixel

To those who use phone cases, do you use generic ones or specialty ones (ex. those panatone iphone cases)

Generic ones
As long as they go over the screen I'm not terrible fussed
I don't do silicone cases because they warp about 30 seconds after putting them on, but I like TPU cases

Opinions on refurbished Nokia 3310 on Aliexpress for 18.33?

What is your opinion on the underpowered SD625?

I agree with most, but OP2 was much worse than OP5

Just use a style shell. Exposed pins, gone. Camera bump, gone.

>Jelly screen lottery
What lottery? They all have the jelly screen

for what purpose?

i got a snapdragon 400 phone for $14 but i guess that was a fluke

Different times buddy...

The OP2 was meh but the company was new and they were still learning things, plus, the phone was fucking cheap.

The OP5 feels out of the club because it lacks an edge to edge display like the best flagships of this year.

That and the iPhone look killed the OP5 this year for me.

Not underpowered, enough for most users actually.

I'm a complete tardo when it comes to phone rooting. Can anyone spoonfeed me a good guide for the S5 active?

will anything happen if i root my friend's prime deal phone?

>android 6
>most devices comes with unlockable bootloader and rootable
>xposed
>immersive mode
>desktop tabs on browser
>per app dpi
>gravity box, xprivscy, and various other gems

>android 7
>bootloader locked
>rooting requires exploit
>no properly working xposed in sight
>only way to somewhat get around it is to pay $1000 for a pixel

Note 8 just shipped, it better arrive tomorrow and not on monday.

I haven't really looked into it because my phone never got android 4 or higher.
But can you use an external screen as a secondary screen? Not just mirroring.

Getting my first smartphone soon and have been lurking this general for a while, but want this one question answered in real-time. How many gigs of RAM are ideal for a phone? Specifically if I plan to install games and emulators?

4-6
3 if you're on a tight budget

There really games that need more than 4 gigs?

onePlus 5 here

>8gb of ram or life is not worth living

maybe not but you'll have more than just the game. don't pay extra for the 6 gb version if the base model has 4 gb but high end phones come with 6 gb on the base model these days

theunlockr.com/2014/10/13/how-to-root-the-samsung-galaxy-s5-active-2/

Gotta have the supported model of phone, though.

any cheapish chink phones with physical qwerty keyboard available yet?
Android ofc

No

Just the new Blackberries.

>5"-5.1"
>4k mAh battery
>USB-C
>NFC
>Band 20
>64GB ROM
>4GB RAM
>Snapdragon

Is there any phone like this coming out soon? every phone dev just meme out 5.5" phones that dosent fit one of my hands properly and I have no need for a big screen. Just want a phone that fits nicely into the pocket.

Asus was about to make one, zenfone zoom s, but I guess there isn't a market for so small phones.

there is a market, everyone are just being big phone fags

>lol ur dad wus russian
>you're banned federally

The battery is the problem right there. Hard to fit it into smaller phones. And pretty much overpowered imho. Remember that with a smaller screen comes less power consumption. Closest bets to your demand right now: Google pixel or Xiaomi Redmi 3s Prime

Buying a phone for my Mum, to replace her 3 year old HTC ONE(???) it has to justwerk, good battery, decently big screen and specs that will last for a while, I'm looking at the lenovo P2, any other suggestions?

>4k mAh
>4,000
>mAh
Think about what you just said for a second

what do you mean?

>4(k)
>(m)Ah

Yes, today I drove 15,000,000 millimetres to the shop

Fuck off you retarded autist.

do you have autism or something?

Not big enough for it to be profitable

Can anyone help me out here? I was thinking about getting her the new Xiaomi phone but I think I need something with a warranty in case she drops it in the toilet or some bullshit.

>4k mAh
>not 4Ah
Retard

Samefag please go, noone cares about your autism.

>
Keep telling yourself that
Hey, I'm only 1,000/2,000 of the posters :^)

OnePlus 5

screen too big

But 5.5" is the sweet spot unless you go bezelless

already have a 5.5" phone and i find the screen to big, want it smaller. I dont watch videos or browse much on my phone I use my tablet for that.

does anyone have the redmi 4x? if yes, can you comment on the device's temperature? I'm about to puchase it, but I see a lot of complaints about it running overly hot for no reason

Get the redmi note 4x you twat

manlet baby

Closest I can think of right now is the bq aquaris x

wow the BQ Aquaris X Pro seems perfect, where the fuck do you buy them? cant find them anywhere.

when my hands grow the size of plates and pigs fly, I'll get a 5.5" phone
until then, how about we talk about the 4x

kill yourself, battery capacity is measured in mAh for consumer electronics

get a redmi 4 prime/pro instead, just a little big more expensive but you get a vastly superior phone

Handlet get out.

They are euro only pretty much. In the German caliphate I can find it on amazon or their official website. Allahu Akbar.