>He fell for the i7 meme.

>goat?

Nah senpai, X5670

>>>/reddit/

>not an i7 950

who else 1600 1600x master race

i7 960 here!!!

>First generation
It was trash. C2Q and sandyvag are the only ones who get to make these threads.

Just upgraded, same socket, went from i7 920 @3.33 to a w3680 @4.00. Geekbench multi shot from ~11k to ~17k. I'm very pleased, and all on a near decade old chipset.

I'm still using a 3570k and I fear the day my MOBO dies since I will be forced to build a entire new computer around it

nope Ryzen 1700 here.

It's not that bad. All you need to swap out is the CPU, motherboard and RAM. Just hope that DDR4 prices are less absurd when you finally upgrade.

I have a 960 sitting unused in a P6X58D-E behind me.
No idea what to use it for.

>CPU, motherboard and RAM.

Well thats 400€ right there

771 to 775 mod using an xeon e5450 clocked at 4.2GHz on an asus p5q motherboard

Not him but I'm also rocking a 3570k, I feel like I'll go amd next round simply because they actually keep sockets forever, so if the mobo dies I'm not fucked anally and forced to buy a shittier motherboard than I'm using that'd be (as a result of intel being all "every new cpu line has a new socket") secondhand and would last who knows how long let alone know if it was working or not.

Get a cheap x5650 famalam

Update bios and overclock, its ez

Hard to find a MOBO able to run the xeons

Q9400 !

It should work on most boards

what the fuck

>intel
>ever

R7 1700 reporting in. How does that make you feel?

2500k all day erry day

Had a i7 920, upgraded to x5680, overclocked to 4.2GHz, and upgraded my RAM to 24GB 1600MHz.
>mfw it can support a 1080ti now
>mfw I will probably buy one
>mfw the PC is almost 10 years old

960 master race reporting in

Just replaced a 3570K with an 1800x. Holy shit the Ryzen is a fucking beast for $350.

i7-2600k here

I am

my 920 is chugging away happily overclocked at 4.4Ghz since release

still see no reason the upgrade.

So top end i7 from 2010 are still good today even for semi intensive tasks? I might as well buy an old workstation for cheap then

Only if you overclock which a old workstation probably can't do

*Mar/09 Gulftown

but IPC performance is exactly the same, you literally upgraded only for more multiple cores that have same speed of 3570k

Well, yeah, that's the general idea. More , faster, better, etc

My 3570 still works great.
Waiting until either the mobo or CPU dies so I get a whole new PC, but I have
a Gigalel mobo, so I bet the i5 will blow up first

I got a 920, and a Gigalel ex58-ds4
Gonna take that baby to 4GhZ
Wish me luck

That's bullshit though. Ryzen has better IPC than Ivy Bridge. Sure, actual single-threaded performance might be pretty similar if you had a 3570K at 4.6GHz or something, but you're also gaining 12 threads and DDR4 speeds on top of that, along with a healthy future upgrade path. Overall performance is completely uncomparable, unless you're planning to wank to single-threaded benchmarks or play World of Warcraft.

i7-920 @ 3.8 least till zen 2 or maybe coffee lake if it isnt shit

i5 750 here, zen+ might be my next procesor unless intel steps up, unlikely

Another i7 920 here. It's actually my second. I started with the first C0 revision and then switched to D0 about a year later. Kept it at 3.8Ghz on air, but it's been running stock for about a year now, as I barely use my computer anymore. Don't plan on updating in the next year or two. Fuck UEFI and fuck all the botneted new hardware.

I sold my 920 an upgraded to a 980x.

i7 870 here. waiting for 7nm Zen2

>Ryzen has better IPC than Ivy Bridge

>tfw i bought an unlocked skylake i7 without any intention to overclock it

BREAKING THE LAW

HI i7 980X here, still at 20% in game, with 24GB ram. but i only have pcie gen 2

that isn't the 2500k ?

Hello rajeesh.

I still have an 8320

Poorfag with an i3 530 here.
Should I upgrade to a Xeon x3430? It's 10 bucks at aliexpress.

Still the best microcenter purchase I've ever made. Handles everything I need it to handle with zero problems.

UMA DELICIA.

>Being surprised that a $200 CPU from years ago is slower than a modern $350 CPU

This, though I can only get 4.0 out of mine. Runs like a dream. Whole system is still in great shape too. Only thing I've replaced in a decade of use was the PSU to get a quieter more efficient model.

>phenom 2 died this jan
>update bios with old athlon
>slot a fx8320 right in there
>preforms worse in every scenario to the phenom
>stutters constantly
>mfw
thank fuck i got a deal on a 6700k before prices went batshit

No

$10? Go for it.

Who /house fire/ here?

>just upgraded to a sandy bridge i5
>my gaming rig is an old 2008 laptop Core 2 Duo

>he fell for the he fell for the meme

>being unable to read

>1080ti
nah senpai even a 1070 is bottlenecked by the poor single core performance
still 10/10 platform best I've owned. Probably will go Zen2 next

1800x here
Whats it like to buy a low bin chip?

Electricity is an expensive way to heat your house here, so I use other methods.

also managed to push it to 4.6GHz on air kek
did not want to run it at those voltages 24/7 though

oh shit son, i7 920 reporting in

or so I would say, but I actually replaced it for a Xeon X5680 earlier this year, overclocks higher and dem 6 cores 12 threads. 1600 dollars cpu for $80 on ebay lol

>mfw brainlets "upgrading" from glorious 1366 to faillake and assripper

dont mind me just running all modern games while training DNNs and encoding h.256

I retired my 920 in favor of an X5677 and haven't looked back. The 920 is an oven in comparison.

Might hop over to that X5690 life, though.

Yup, still using mine. Though really disappointed that the motherboard doesn't support GPU passthrough.

Thinking of upgrading to a Ryzen or ThreadRipper, but I don't really need it. I haven't even been running my i7 overclocked

AI LIMÃO

I just threw an SSD in an old Dell prebuilt with a 920 in it. The thing runs better than new. Lovely chip.

i7 970 here. Don't see a reason to upgrade anytime soon

Got 920 + 10 = 930

Will Xenon run on X58 motherboard?

Nevermind it looks like X58 may with update but I'm not really going to get a Xenon.

Got the same chip as you, user. Planning to OC to 4.0GHz this week. Just bought some new case fans and arctic silver thermal paste to help with cooling. Just going to OC it cause I'm gonna get a GTX 1070 next month. Otherwise I wouldn't overclock because I'm perfectly satisfied with its performance and see literally no reason to upgrade other than pure consumerism.

>could afford two flagship gpus and a flagship CPU
>in one of the best and most expensive cases
>hasn't upgraded in 7 years

user what the fuck are you doing did all your cash run out?

lurk moar newfag

Upgrade for what though? Modern video gaymes are trash, so unless he needs a system for heavy rendering work or something, it's pointless.

if there's even one video game he enjoys from the past 2 years that is in any way GPU intensive he would be served well with an upgrade to even a single 970 or 480. Most people wouldn't shell out the cash for two flagship gpus if they didn't enjoy videogames or render.
the CPU, while serviceable, would be a good upgrade as well if he does any productivity at all. The upgrade from nehalem to SB was non-negligible, and while the jump from SB to the lake-series CPUs the progress was slow there has been at the very least enough to justify an upgrade to ryzen or the upcoming coffee lake.
At least he has an SSD in there.

Name one (1) video gayme from the past five years worth playing.

The most demanding one I can think of if you enjoy western rpgs is the witcher 3. Shooterwise I actually liked battlefield 4 once all the DLC was out and cheap as shit, even if the core gameplay isn't as good as battlefield 2 it's a fun game.
Also insurgency but the 480's wouldn't struggle too hard with that I'd hope.
Some people like GTA V. I don't but whatever.
MMOshitters seem to like FFXIV.

Personally I'm just waiting on a fucking PC port of dragon's crown. Most fun I've had in a game in a long time was on the PS3 and I'm just hoping that I can play it at 4k or some shit in the future.

you use a sticker and slice the plastic fingers off a 775 socket.
does it though?

I can play all of that on a GTX 460, no bullshit. Although witcher 3 I had to put textures on low due to only 1gb vram and other details on medium, but I play bf4 all the time on high and it runs fine at 40+ fps, and same thing for GTA V, medium to high settings and consistent 40 fps. I bet he would be even better than me on a 480 SLI.
I'm btw

[email protected] master race here

Can you guys play 1080p60 videos smoothly with software decoding?

930 @4.1ghz here
I could probably bump it higher but my RAM is shit and can't keep up.

What are your temps? What RAM do you have? Is 3x4gb 1333mhz bad if I OC the same chip to 4.0 GHz?

got a Q6600 chilling on my desk
hasn't been used since 2014 when i upgraded to a 4790k

GTA V is remarkably well optimized for GPUs and tends to be more CPU bottlenecked. I recently upgraded from a sandybridge i5 system with a radeon 6950 to a 250 dollar r9 fury and ryzen. While the difference in framerate was pretty huge even with the now maxed settings in most games, the biggest difference was in how smooth things played. This should be the same in any modern quad or hexcore, a jump from the 975 would be huge even with the two 480s.

>does it though?

Yes.

>a jump from the 975 would be huge even with the two 480s
Of course it would, I just thought you were thinking his setup wouldn't handle those games, and gave my machine as an example even though it's weaker.

If that was what I was saying you'd be correct. However I'm really just trying to argue that the huge difference in experience would be worth the upgrade, even to maxwell/ rx480 range. SLI introduces microstutters and is being slowly being phased out by nvidia.
I'm also assuming he has some cash due to the extreme enthusiast nature of the build/generation it was built in.

I haven't checked my temps in a while, I think it's 40 idle and high 70's under continuous 100% load.

Specifically I have this newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA85V3R92648
24GB's because that's the max the board actually supports, my manual says
>stem Memory support
Supports triple channel JEDEC DDR3-1333. Officially supports up to
12GBs of DDR3 memory.
so I'm pushing it.

So maybe I shouldn't blame the dimms.

I used to have these
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231247
and I remember pushing to 4.4 easy.

but I run a lot of VMs and shit so I need the space over the speed, I can cope with a 400mhz loss.

Oh I forgot the important bit, I have an h50 cooler, not stock air.

I picked up a i7 860 workstation for $65. Added $10 HD 6870 to it to make it into a midrange rig. Not bad.

I'm using an i7 930

I bought a xeon for like $100 to replace it, and it's been sitting on my desk for about 2 months

it means Greatest Of All Time

is that pic satire

i'm and the highest OC I could hit was 3.6GHz stable