Open source matters because you can audit

>open source matters because you can audit
So you're telling me that you've audited every line of code from the kernel to everyday programs you use?

Cut the crap, you're yet another propagandist with a shitty ideology. Open source is great in select applications, namely something as fundamental as an operating system (effectively nationalizing internet infrastructure as a comparable non software example), but any other application of Open Source is quite abysmal.

So why do you shill Open Source? You don't audit shit. You don't contribute. Yet somehow you think it's magically more secure? LOL

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html
youtube.com/watch?v=I25UeVXrEHQ
gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.en.html
gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.en.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I don't have to audit it personally when people in community forums and bug trackers do it and publish their findings for everyone to see. I can't believe you're so disconnected from your community that you think you have to audit everything yourself personally. Oh wait... you use proprietary software.

>I don't have to audit it personally
So the point is actually moot. You're still trusting a stranger completely. Only real difference is one is getting paid and the other isn't.

The only actual reason you love open source shit is because you're poor. You love getting everything for free. Ain't that right pajeet?

Who actually pays for software these days? Everyone I know who uses Windows and common proprietary programs has never paid for them. If you pay for software, then you're probably too dumb to pirate it.

I'm a cashier at a supermarket and my register runs on a proprietary Java app. I can't even begin to tell you how many bugs I have to wrestle with every day, nor how absurdly slow everything is. Just a few nights ago I found a pretty significant security hole that was trivial to exploit, *completely by accident.*
I don't place 100% of the blame on Java for that; the developers who made the software are also at fault. I don't know how hard it is to write bug-free software in Java, but it's certainly not impossible.
I can't even put the blame on them either, since the company just simply may not even test the machine extensively before shipping them. They aren't cashiers, they're hardware manufacturers. It's understandable that they'd miss some things.
No, the *real* problem at the root of our buggy, broken machines is simply one thing: nonfree software.
Naturally, I don't mean to imply that if the software was GPL it'd magically have no problems. On the other hand, if there are problems and it's GPL, you'd better believe that they'd set to work fixing them as soon as they're discovered. If they don't, we'll find someone who will. This is in stark contrast with proprietary software, where the original developer can charge an absurd fee for a trivial bugfix. Why? Because if we don't pay it, we have two options: suck it up and deal with having the bug, or "vote with our wallet" and switch to another provider. In other words, purchase all new machines to replace all of our current ones, handle the logistics of getting those machines in and the current ones out, train all of our cashiers on the new software, and pray that the new guys are better than the old guys. So long as the fee to fix is under the cost of switching, it's still preferable.
The alternative, free as in freedom software, means we can say, "Fix it, or we'll find someone who can."

tl;dr "open source" misses the point.

>I'm a cashier at a supermarket
Stopped reading right there

Good, you wouldn't want to be wrong, now, would you?

>why do you shill Open Source?
so I can easily cuck you ;^)

Sup Forums shill for FOSS and not Open Source.

While I actually agree with your points, I'll say this, as someone who works in the IT department at a large university: people still pay for software

Oh so you're a neet who has never done anything in his life, and has absolutely zero experience.
Gotcha.

tell him, goy!

What does that have to do with not being a retard and not paying for anything that can be digitized? You are a moron if you wasted resources on something that can easily be copied.

>build custom ARM computer and want an OS for it
>Winshit is closed source and can't be ported to my device
>port Debian instead because it's open source
This is what happened with the Raspberry Pi and people like them because they're still making them.

Says the person who blew off a cashier who offered the perspective of someone who's NOT a computer nerd, and has real-world experience to back up his arguments.

You've provided absolutely Z E R O counter arguments.
Are arguments proprietary too now is that why you won't use them?
You fucking waste of life.

Who? Are you talking about that user above with their story? I actually agree with them but didn't bother replying because it's a waste of time to reply with "yeah I agree".
Perhaps don't get your anons confused fag?

Counter arguments to what? I'm just pointing out that you are a retard if you actually pay for software. I'm not the user arguing about closed vs open sores. But you are still a moron if you don't pirate stuff.

>work in open source
>want to improve code
>can't because authors are stubborn autists who don't understand the work
DEFEND
THIS
IDEOLOGICAL
CUNTS

fork
>inb4 i'm too dumb to mantain a project

>projecting

No, I'm trusting many stangers that often have the same interests as I do.

As opposed to one company that will conceal everything and has many (and many possible) opposed interests.

Why do you work as a cashier?

>libreboot is led by a narcissistic SJW tranny
>Pale Moon is led by a furry

let's trust these people with muh auditing

>fork
>get harassed by OG project contributors
>never get any attention because whenever the fork is brought up people just tell them to use the OG
P E A K
O P E N S O U R C E

Might want to open source a psychology knowledge database so you actually understand the phrases you're using LMAO

Gas station cashier, working with a Java register/Station control program.

it's like working with a Celeron even though or machines are i5s. Is Java always a RAM rapist?

>muh internet bullies
>i'm too retarded to maintain a project
called it

>muh safe place
gtfo

>rationalizing shitty development environments
Called it, you're a neet and haven't worked on anything in your life. All you do is shitpost all fucking day.

>Google, le capitalist memes, contribute to open source projects all the time
and yet autists on here are ranting about muh botnet and how google is evil, while using their software
open source community is full of retards quite frankly as this thread signifies with absolutely zero counter arguments to my claim

>muh open source is bad maymay
>best for software dev
>best kernel
>best mobile operating systems
>best browsers
>best torrent clients
>best media players
>best operating system essentials in general
Closed source is only good in games tbqh.

I customized 3 opensource applications for my liking. It's communism, nigger. Open source is software for people, closed source is software for jews.

>muh mental illness
called it

You don't even have any claim, all you write here is some incoherent ramblings of a retard that doesn't even understand what free software is.

>muh
open sourced hivemind

(btw, not an argument)

>closed source is software for jews
no, it's for cucks; made by jews tho

but that's not me, can you even gee?

Not an argument.
Actually read the thread instead of shitposting relentlessly in anger because all your open source software is garbage.
>best for software dev
nope
>best kernel
true, but linus is proving that autists ruin a whole lot
>best mobile operating systems
nope
>best browsers
nope, unless you love proprietary botnet in which case I agree
>best torrent clients
STALLED
>best media players
mpv is great desu I'll give you that
>best operating system essentials in general
I already claimed so in OP, pay attention babe

>communism
Maybe how it was supposed to be, but not the totalitarian one which is the only type of communism in history.

>nope
Not an argument.

no shit sherlock
name one decent usable [secure] application that is opensores besides Linux (gnu left out intentionally)

the thing is: you're not entitled to an opinion

Why is it necessary that I audit every line of code personally?

I have tracked down the code to check why things were happening in a certain way and I do regularly read the code for various programs that I am interested in learning more about.

Every time you buy any new computer, you are subsidizing Windows.

I have read the thread, you have a warped perception of what free software is. I suggest instead of posting moronic threads with claims based on some dumb memes you willingly fell for, how about you educate yourself about the topic you want to discuss? Here let me spoon feed you:
gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

>gnu
haha
>philosophy
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Not an argument.

Write code that other people can understand.

>open source is audited by the best, just simply the best
explain this mess of a man who has unrestricted access to the most important tools??
youtube.com/watch?v=I25UeVXrEHQ

Sup Forums would rather trust a mentally ill obese tranny than a well paid white man, jfc

I enjoy the work, honestly. The customers are really nice (most of the time) and I get to brighten people's day whenever I go in (except when the machines say I can't, which is why I'm so irritated at nonfree software)
I make enough to get by comfortably, and I'm not materialistic. I'm content with the small impact I make in my life.

>why won't you argue with idiots?
BWAHAHAHAHAHA

We're discussing open source, not your ideological "free software". Go back to eating toe jam, pick up a book while you're at it.

gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.en.html
gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.en.html

We're discussing whatever I say we're discussing. You don't matter fucktard, get with the program!

Sup Forums is a GNU board, I think you wanted to go here:

Yes, best compilers are open source.
Yes, best mobile operating systems are android and sailfish, with KDE Plasma Mobile and GNOME Mobile hopefully being good alternatives soon. windows is a shit and iOS is retarded.
Yes, Firefox, Chromium, Iridium and Brave are best browsers currently, in their separate categories. Chrome is only Chromium + certain Google integrations.
>stalled
This is an outdated meme now, qBitTorrent works fine. Either way, rTorrent is the best client, followed by qBitTorrent and Deluge. Transmission for minimalists.
>MPV is great
So is VLC, Kodi, MPC HC, Clementine

>KDE Plasma Mobile
lol
>GNOME Mobile
BWAHAHAHAHA
what universe do you deluded fucks live in?

If you don't understand why that OP is stupid, it's because you don't want to.

Quit arguing with trolls. It's a waste of your time and my board space.

not india

Intellectual Capitalism is a fragile snowflake.

make me, faggot!

OP here

Im a faggot

>Still zero arguments
That's fascinating, open source proponents really are fueled entirely by ideology rather than any proven statistics of any sort.
Guess autism still has its shortcomings.

He's lying I'm the OP, I am still a faggot tho.

You arent stupid enough,to publicly release the source of your code if you've had something to hide (backdoor, ads, tracking). Or are you?

pls no bully

>spend less money on software
>spend saved money on better hardware

>all this tortured logic
If mental gymnastics were an olympic sport, FOSS nutcases would sweep the medals every time

I like open source because I get paid to write it, and if I lose my job I have an easy in at any of the other 10 companies that contribute to the same project

There have been multiple occasions where I have been able to tweak source to fix a bug or add a feature.

>So you're telling me that you've audited every line of code from the kernel to everyday programs you use?
no, valgrid and the last meme compiler does it for you, normies have to die right now we have a stupid question thread just for people like you

fosstards everybody