/FLT/ - Friendly Linux Thread - The Return Edition

Welcome to /flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /flt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

muen.sk/
scs.stanford.edu/histar/
freevms.net/
freedos.org/
github.com/brho/plan9
jnode.org/
kolibrios.org/en/
reactos.org/
gnu.org/software/hurd/
archhurd.org/
wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/Hurd
techrepublic.com/article/linux-creator-linus-torvalds-doesnt-really-care-about-open-source/
itsfoss.com/linux-foundation-head-uses-macos/
archive.fo/UMTP4
archive.fo/sE6eb
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ext4#Using_file-based_encryption
gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html
knowyourmeme.com/memes/bait-this-is-bait
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

linux is gay

Thanks for the bump, kid.

Systemd no longer wants to follow
noauto,x-systemd.automount

This seems to have started with systemd 234.
When i go to login via tty it will take he username and password but it will pause for 2 minutes, then checking the log the system is trying to mount that mountpoint despite nothing touching it. It hangs all tty's for 2 minutes until the drive is manually mounted(its a crypto disk i manually open).Am i not using the right switches?

I'm afraid it's been a very long time since I actually studied this matter. Could you clarify what this parameter is intended to do and what file it's in? It appears to be an fstab parameter but I'm not sure what it's supposed to do. For the record I'm on Arch Linux and presumably on SystemD v. 234 and I have no issue with logging in via TTY. What distro do you use?

Q: I use KDE. when there is an update to that buggy POS software that is Plasma, how am I supposed to upgrade it? am I stuck on Plasma 5.x when plasma 5.y is out? or do distros upgrade their versions of plasma without me needing to reinstall another version?

Im on arch.

noauto makes it not mount the device when it scans fstab.
x-systemd.automount makes systemd skip over the device until something attempts to access it.
The device in question is a crypto device that i manually decrypt when i need it. It has other mount options that i use so its convientnt to have it all fleshed out in fstab and then just decrypt it and mount it per fstab options

I'm new to Linux and running Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, but I'm unable to figure out how to get video thumbnails working. Installed ffmpegthumbnailer and followed some steps online to make it work, but no thumbnails are showing up from what I've tried. Anyone here run into the same issue and fixed it?

Make sure your file manager supports using ffmpegthumbnailer

It should. Using the default nemo file manager it came with. My preferences allow thumbnails for all files below 4GB, so that shouldn't be the issue either. Not sure what else to try.

Friendly reminder that Linux is just the kernel. Other kernels are:
The Muen Separation Kernel muen.sk/
and HiStar scs.stanford.edu/histar/

Operating Systems under GPL are:
FreeVMS freevms.net/
FreeDOS freedos.org/
Plan 9 github.com/brho/plan9
JNode jnode.org/
KolibriOS kolibrios.org/en/
ReactOS reactos.org/

Special mention to GNU/Hurd gnu.org/software/hurd/
Arch Hurd archhurd.org/
Debian GNU/Hurd wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/Hurd

Use a real distro like Arch instead of babby Ubuntu. Plasma works best with a rolling release distro, and you just keep it up to date.

garbage post

The most annoying thing about these stupid, contrarian /flt/ threads is that it fucked up my filter. Also, now this whole thread is going to be chocked to the brim with the most awful shitposts, even worse than they typically are.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I know that installing gentoo is a meme, but what about gentoo itself?

Calling the system “Linux” is a confusion that has spread faster than the corrective information.
The people who combined Linux with the GNU system were not aware that that's what their activity amounted to. They focused their attention on the piece that was Linux and did not realize that more of the combination was GNU. They started calling it “Linux” even though that name did not fit what they had. It took a few years for us to realize what a problem this was and ask people to correct the practice. By that time, the confusion had a big head start.
Most of the people who call the system “Linux” have never heard why that's not the right thing. They saw others using that name and assume it must be right. The name “Linux” also spreads a false picture of the system's origin, because people tend to suppose that the system's history was such as to fit that name. For instance, they often believe its development was started by Linus Torvalds in 1991. This false picture tends to reinforce the idea that the system should be called “Linux”.

Most operating system distributions based on Linux as kernel are basically modified versions of the GNU operating system. We began developing GNU in 1984, years before Linus Torvalds started to write his kernel. Our goal was to develop a complete free operating system. Of course, we did not develop all the parts ourselves—but we led the way. We developed most of the central components, forming the largest single contribution to the whole system. The basic vision was ours too.
In fairness, we ought to get at least equal mention.

What if I use Linux without GNU? e.g. if I use musl, not glibc?

gentoo is fine, useful for oddball architectures or systems where you need to compile things a special way but dont want to use ports.

that's fine, but many newcomers to the kernel do so by way of GNU.

> GNUfags showing up to educate us

Everything is truly back to normal.

...what about for ARM chromebooks?

DID YOU JUST ASSUME MY USERLAND?????!!?!!!!???

> many newcomers to the kernel do so by way of GNU

No he didn't.

Post your CFLAGS!
-mtune=native -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -fstack-protector-strong -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -fno-lifetime-dse -fno-schedule-insns2 -mcx16 -mpopcnt -pipe -fno-plt -fstack-check -fno-plt -fstack-check -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2

Ok i found a temporary fix to the problem. Editing the xplayer.thumbnailer file to load up ffmpegthumbnailer did the trick. So I'm guessing this means that even though I installed ffmpegthumbnailer, it was still using the thumbnailer program from xplayer. Although, I uninstalled xplayer so I don't know why it's still using it. Anybody know how to change the thumbnailer nemo uses? Would prefer it to use the actual ffmpegthumbnailer.thumbnailer file if I can.

I'm relatively new to linux, but know enough to install things, make packages, and handle myself pretty well, but something that evades me completely is how to set a .gif file as your wallpaper. I've seen it done before but all the methods I've seen online are ridiculously outdated. If anyone could offer some insight it'd be nice.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

That might be correct but me saying I'm new to Linux isn't exactly incorrect either. To be more specific, I'm new to using both, but nothing about what I said was incorrect or deserving of that rant. Also you didn't answer my question.

Can you lads hep me out

feh

I'm using Linux without GNU

Shit's deleted yo

bad lying post

I replied to you in the legitimate thread

another bad lying post

techrepublic.com/article/linux-creator-linus-torvalds-doesnt-really-care-about-open-source/

>In some ways, Linux was the project that really made the split clear between what the FSF is pushing which is very different from what open source and Linux has always been about which is more of a technical superiority instead of a — this religious belief in freedom.

>There are 'extremists' in the free software world, but that's one major reason why I don't call what I do 'free software' any more. I don't want to be associated with the people for whom it's about exclusion and hatred.
>-- Linus Torvalds

Why did Stalldaddy drop off the grid?

What's he know that we don't?

>exclusion and hatred
Some next level reverse psychology here

I bet Linus also thinks the US constitution is about exclusion and hatred for trying to take away the freedom to rob others of their freedom.
Torvalds also seems like someone who would totally support monopolies.

The guy's just a corporate dick sucker who uses this idealistic notion of absolute freedom as a gimmick to win over idiots who don't realize that's impossible. (e.g. "I totally support Microsoft's right to remove your freedom, but I am avidly against Stallman's right to take away Microsoft's rights")
Give me a fucking break.
The whole issue of freedom is by nature a chicken and egg problem. Anyone who claims to be at the top in some sense of hands-off-do-whatever-you-want absolute freedom is either an idiot or a swindler.

Does Debian in command line mode/i3 mode mount USB drives the same way Ubuntu does in graphical mode?
I'm so used to Ubuntu just fucking werking with USB drives, this was probably the main reason I even started using Ubuntu, I remember for years no distro, all the way back to the days of Caldera was getting this right. I really hope things have moved forward for non Ubuntu distros.

he's never been on the grid

your DE does that, so no i3 or a tty wont do it for you.

itsfoss.com/linux-foundation-head-uses-macos/

You should off yourself for bumping this thread from page 10 back to page 1. Learn to sage.

>I don't want to be associated with the people for whom it's about exclusion and hatred

nice one coming from the mouth of literally the guy who constantly excludes the gnu contibutions and spreads hatred on free software "extremism"

like wtf, free software isn't some terrorist camp, it's actually good for society, for everyone

wait some years when everything in FOSS is controlled by companies and theres no freedom left to get rid of spying, datamining and selling our secrets

Oh shit, I just realized I wasn't in /fGlt/. I've been flim flammed

Fug. Then what do people do when they need to do shit on a USB drive and they're not using a DE? I can't believe I've never thought of this but then I've been trying a lot of new things out recently.

what's with all the hate toward Arch? Isn't it the undeniably best desktop distro for advanced users?

this is my setup:
>boot arch installer
>partition, mount and make filesystems
>install the packages and package groups: base, base-devel, xorg, nouveau, SLiM, xorg-xinit, git and dmenu
>do the tedious locale settings, users, passwords etc.
>git clone i3-gaps from the arch user repository (i3 is included in the officials but i3 gaps isn't)
>use the easy-as-any makepkg script to build and install i3 gaps from source
>reboot

And then just configure everything like you would on any other linux distro.

Updates are incremental (rolling release) so if something breaks (and it rarely ever happens) it's easy to roll the few packages back and then solve whatever broke. Debian for instance introduces a huge update every other year or so that breaks all your configs and everything you've been doing.

Why the hate? And I mean, if you want yourself a just-werkz linux distro with GNOME 3, why won't you just go with Ubuntu now or, hell, Debian? Why would you want to customize debian when you only get packages from the yester-year?

the other thread just got deleted?

>tfw mods got b8'd into deleting the correct thread

You can tab-complete.

So, type in :h & and then tab a few times to see what comes up as the best matches. You'd then see something like :let-&, similar to what has.

Really, it's all about looking into the help files and realizing that the help command is just linking you to specific/small sections of larger help files. When you get the time, I highly recommend looking through the Vim User Manual as a whole (:help, and then be sure to read that top section and understand how to navigate the help pages. And then follow the link to usr_01.txt and keep reading).

So, as a fuller picture, you have :h & -> :let-& --> usr_41.txt when scrolling up to the top of the page with :let-&'s explanation (note: it's much easier to read the user manual pages than the reference manual pages) --> &name, which is an expression for an option.

>the undeniably best desktop distro for advanced users
>advanced users
>advanced
>users
Is watching anime and changing the theme really considered advanced?
>i3-gaps
vomit.jpg
How can you say with a straight face that you actual use your desktop when half of it is wasted?

Went from Windows 7 to this because it just werks and is decent enough for studying.

WTF mods? Since when are you supporting literlly Sup Forums troll threads?
Why did
404?
Why did
404?

>ran sudo pacman -Syu today
>destroyed my system, had to chroot in off a liveusb to fix it

it's just linux, nobody cares about gnu

the problem with arch is that arch users can't stop spamming about how much they use arch

Current state of Just Linux.

>Linux Foundation Head Calls 2017 ‘Year of the Linux Desktop’…. While Running Apple’s macOS Himself.
archive.fo/UMTP4

>Linux Foundation calls the GPL a "restrictive virus" which can get you into legal trouble.
archive.fo/sE6eb

More like the current state of Sup Forums posters.
>Linux Foundation calls the GPL a "restrictive virus" which can get you into legal trouble.
Can't be bothered following the link but the GPL is very commonly referred to as viral and just ask linksys if it can get you in legal trouble.
>>Linux Foundation Head Calls 2017 ‘Year of the Linux Desktop’…. While Running Apple’s macOS Himself.
The linux foundation is a corporate vehicle to facilitiate governance input from industry stakeholders. It has very little input on the technical direction of linux, it basically does marketing and accounting. The people who actually have the most input into the kernel are from red hat (fedora et al) and google (IFAIK they still use their own ubuntu based distro).

It's time to face the facts. Linus Torvalds is nothing more than a whining, overly obese autistic manbaby who has not done anything beneficial for the computing OR technology world in the past 20 years. Seriously. Name something that Torvalds has done after 1991 besides bitching, crying, and moaning about bullshit that does not matter, or making some retarded, incomprehensible blogpost on Google+.

He demands that GNU/Linux be called Linux. That is fucking insane. The only reason Linux is even a THING is because of RMS and the Free Software movement. If anything, Linus should rename Linux to The GNU kernel, because this is the most common system where Linux is installed.

Linus still has the fucking gonads to act like he's superior to everyone else. Saying shit such as "My name is Linus Torvalds and I am your god." or "I hope you all die a painful death." What an asshole. Linus wrote like the first 2 percent of Linux, everything else was developed by the community.

He should be fucking grateful RMS stepped in to save his ass, and even allowing him to take partial credit for his achievements. If it wasn't for the GPL, he would be nothing, Linux would probably still sit on some FTP, being proprietary.

He's a washed up, morbidly obese man who tries to stay relevant by having these retarded arguments that are similar to those found in Silicon Valley. Face it Linuxers, Linus is a beardless man, and the only reason his name is still in the books is because of Stallman's achievements.

>a whining, overly obese autistic manbaby who has not done anything beneficial for the computing OR technology world in the past 20 years
wew which timeline did i end up in

git

>he can't recognize pastas
The absolute state of /flt/

why was the other thread deleted?
it was pretty fine imho

Reminder that sheckle hungry corporate fags do NOT represent GNU/Linux developers or users.

how do i get rid off this annoying bar on top of the browser, where it says the name of the page? Its there on everything I open not just the browser and its wasting so much space for no good reason.
In the panel's display options I tried to tick
>Don't reserve space on borders
but that just hides it behind the panel and I can't use the minimize, maximize and close buttons.

Settings > Window Manager Tweaks > Accessibility > Hide title of windows when maximized
it's a somewhat recent feature, and hidden in the wrong place

bsd does not have this problem

How can I completly de-GNU my Linux OS?

worked perfectly , thank you

BSD doesn't have a lot of things, like software, drivers, users, etc.You know, the little things.

Install OpenBSD

wait, no. this is hiding my min,max and close buttons.
how do i get them to show?

sudo rm -rf --no-preserve-root "$GNU"/

Thanks.

How do you mount USB drives and do stuff with them on command line Debian?

>unironically using a GNU distro
Install Alpine,it just werks.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ext4#Using_file-based_encryption

Anyone know what Ubuntu fags should do when they reach the part of this that needs e4crypt?
I tried apt install e4crypt, doesn't seem to exist.

The command before that
sudo tune2fs -O encrypt /dev/sdb1
tune2fs 1.42.13 (17-May-2015)
Invalid filesystem option set: encrypt

doesn't work either. Not sure why not. This is Ubuntu 16.04.3.
Testing out fs level encryption on a 4gb usb drive.

Some dude in the last thread said that fsencrypt may not be enabled in the Ubuntu kernel but how would I check if it is?

And has anyone got this working on Ubuntu? Or even a different distro?

I still use pmount but if you use systemd there is probably some awkwardly named tool that ships with that.

In what ways are you guys contributing to your distribution or open source?

But I want to have a working system.

gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html

By using it and reporting bugs and issues
Also by introducing to other people

There is new boot option in a grub after update. What should i do? Is it normal?

wif tiem and codse
The memes don't work. They just make it worse.

Depends, if it says Windows, you may have a virus. If it says Linux-something, you may just got a new kernel.

Linux. What should I do in this case?

Boot the newest version, if it works, you'e fine. You can basically deletele all older kernels, but it's a good idea to keep at least 2 kernels: the current one, and one which is older, but is proven to work.

How I can delete them?

How does that happen if you pay attention a little
Don't hate so much
So the hate is on arch users and not arch? Isn't arch just gentoo with prebuilt binaries?

Why do people hate the GNU project?
I don't understand.

They hate everything.

>Isn't arch just gentoo with prebuilt binaries?
Yeah but they keep changing the name of them which is confusing and makes it harder to do reproducible builds.
Why do people hate mormons so much?
I don't understand.

Install Windows.

shills, people who defend the convenience of enjoying the botnet, proprietary software developers, mac fags, bsd cucks, or just thin skinned people who cant stand an interjection

You are rude. Be patient.

knowyourmeme.com/memes/bait-this-is-bait

/flt/ help me

i'm trying to live boot heads

but after the boot screen my monitor literally shuts off (only way to restart is to hit the power button)

so i restarted, and at the boot screen i pressed tab and inputted nomodeset

i got pic related, if i input anything (startx for example) my screen goes blank, but does not shut off

what do

t. first time doing linux

He's right you know. On Windows you have the WSL for Linux and regular Windows for gaming fun. There's no reason to install Linux on bare metal nowadays.