Legacy Operating Systems

Anyone else really upset that it's impossible to use shit like 2000, XP or Vista with modern software? Even Windows 7 is on the verge of being deprecated, and that's the last good OS Microsoft has made.

Makes me really mad I can't use my computer the way I want to anymore. Modern software, games and DirectX 12 are being held hostage by Windows 10. Never liked Unix, XP and Vista SP2 were always the best.

Other urls found in this thread:

theverge.com/2015/5/7/8568473/windows-10-last-version-of-windows
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

contribute to haiku

haiku os looks really miserable

I'm disappointed too

It's bad enough that corporations try to make you believe newer is better, but open source also does it too. and in an effort to force you to migrate, they keep the old version(s) from having some of the new features, most importantly compatibility, new hardware support, and security updates.

all you can hope for is that someone will release something that is both lightweight, fast, and as skinnable and customizable as KDE 3 once was.

> this makes me wonder. why did KDE not port all the skins and windows borders from version 3 to 4? in particular, the kpersonalizer utility was gone.

I'm in the same boat, I can't stand Unix-like systems but there are literally no decent modern alternatives. I just wish ReactOS could have at least 7-level software compatibility, free as in freedom NT is a wet dream for me.

What is ReactOS
What is ReactOS
What is ReactOS

not even XP tier

>Modern software, games and DirectX 12 are being held hostage by Windows 10

erm no sweety, all of the tech industry is not going to support your autistic desires

>complain about lack of choice
>only cares about muh looks

this is why nobody takes you lincucks seriously.

Windows 10 is autistic

Windows 7 pro might get extended support. I just installed it with an ssd and everything surprisingly is behaving nicely. I like linux too and I run older version of windows in vms. Stop the hate. It's always good to have options.

>Even Windows 7 is on the verge of being deprecated

a decade from now people will be saying the same shit about W10 when they're stuck dealing with W14.

just switch to a nix system now and avoid further suffering user.

there won't be a windows 14

MS are making Win10 eternal

>all you can hope for is that someone will release something that is both lightweight, fast, and as skinnable and customizable as KDE 3 once was.
TDE

Well lucky you, because GNU is not Unix.

Why would they do that

An OS that's far from being usable, and that has been its state for around 13 fucking years.

>Vulkan
>Multiplatform
>Autistic
(You) can now leave.
Bonus points if you kill yourself.

theverge.com/2015/5/7/8568473/windows-10-last-version-of-windows

You are like little baby.

I'm pissed that I won't be able to use IRIX much longer. My ancient SGI hardware from the mid 90s isn't going to last forever and prices are just going up and up. Meanwhile you can pull parts out of dumpsters for free. You should also be grateful that you can virtualize Windows XP and 7 so easily. IRIX 6 is nearly impossible to run in a virtual machine and hasn't ever been done because of the finicky MIPS autism hardware. I've been trying to get 5.3 to run QEMU and all I can do is boot the ROM image which has a graphics problem and then it also tells me that my RAM is invalid. I managed to get a modded ROM image off a forum and it bypasses this stuff but the first base layer ISO crashes and the machine reboots half way through the installation. Version 6 just totally fails to boot up into anything and just tells me that I done goofed and that it's shutting down.

>1x PC Windows XP
>2x PC's Win 7
>1x PC Win 8.1

I can't moving over anytime soon.

I made that thread.

every windows os after 98se is a meme

>Win 8.1
Just get 10. Windows 8 sucks ass.

ReactOS
WINE
FreeDOS

Windows 10 LTSB is pretty good actually.

With a few tweaks, it's literally the same shit as 7 but with a longer support and its own improvements over 7. Go fuck yourself.

I think you're just nostalgia'ing.

I need a Luna theme for Plasma

The WM part is easy but Plasma themes are pain.

Windows is only needed for gayming anyway.

I run XP on an eeepc from a decade ago and I was perturbed when dropbox just flat out removed XP functionality. Not just stop supporting it with new updates, I mean who gives a shit, right? But actually making it not work the way it worked a day earlier. That was great.

Fucking thing takes about 10 seconds to go folder to folder in web browser dropbox.

>One autist is representative of all Linux users

>XP
You're bringing the nostalgia man...
In all honesty, I remember back in the mid-2000s, some of my friends were complaining how they liked the "old Windows" better, meaning Windows 2000 than this new XP modernist trash. How times have changed...

Playing some old games in virtual machine with xp.

With free software you at least have the option of picking up your legacy apps and keep them alive and working on your systems, which is what gave birth to the idea in the first place. Looking in repos I still see software I used back in the 90s like olvwm, icewm, grip, gqmpeg, in fact I could easily reconstuct my desktop environment from back then.

Say guys,

I've been planning on upgrading my workstation to a fancy threadripper build since I need the extra grunt.

No chance I could get Win7 working on it? And even assuming I -could- would the OS gimp the processors performance?

They just finished google summer of code ported swift and other shit, made a calendar,and now provide a 64 bit nightly image. It apparently works with radeon cards and has quite a few wifi drivers.

I've tried Windows 10 LTSB, didn't like the interface or the weird contrasting UI elements at all. Just ended up going back to Vista because it offered nothing new. Had to upgrade to 7 though because Vista doesn't have the support I need anymore.

I think the worst part about modern operating systems is that they don't really offer anything new, they just hold useful software improvements like DirectX when it could probably work on Vista being a Windows NT 6 based operating system. Nowadays deprecating old systems is more artificial, and not because the old system just can't possibly run it anymore because the kernel has changed so much.

Doesn't really matter though because there is no choice, you either use Windows 10 or some Linux distro. That's just tech I guess. Classic windows is a relic.

I can tell you Autist

Not really, I'm really unimpressed with Windows 10. Outside of novelty shit like cortana, it hardly adds anything truly new. Vista was the last truly new OS, everything else has been minor UI adjustments and under the hood "improvements". All Windows NT 6 systems are nearly identical.

>games

Most new software features are designed for idiots. I cant think of anything i cant do in xp.

Just regain your virginity and install gentoo

Has there ever been an uglier os ui?

you called?

No? I just use appropriate hardware with them.
There's no advantage of modern hardware for those operating systems anyways.

Modern hardware is designed together with modern operating systems, I don't have a problem with Windows 10 also, LTSB 2015 has been working fine for me with my modern hardware.

One looks like sleek modern glass architecture, the other looks like a fisher price toy for actual infants.

To add to that, Linux is pretty universal, even still, supporting a wide legacy driver base.
With old operating systems, half the fun is using it with old hardware.

I also agree with

>user.js debotnetted browser

op, you are a shlomo

Plz
Respond

((((((((((((((((( O P )))))))))))))))))))

Problem with react is that its still kinda buggy, and doesnt play nice with some hardware....

Ive been wanting to install react on an old Windows 2000 era dell that i inherited from a late family member, but the ive been extremely lazy about getting it out of storage...

Bad enough i cant properly deploy the standard boot disk to a vm.

I feel for you, user. Thats a besutiful looking machine.

nice shilling, shekelberg

As far as I know, there was a kernel extension for 2000 of some sort.

Is it completely impossible to make an open source version of xp that has support from the community? That would be sweet.

Is this where Microsoft is going to copy with their fluent design?

>what is Trinity

>what is ReactOS?

i'd like kernel extensions for vista and even 7 in the future

How is it actually any different than just running WINE on any other dates?

Yeah, take a look at Windows 10. Its ugly hipster trash.

Fluent design is going to be a half-step in the right direction though

I'm not comfortable with the amount of data it phones home. Shit, I don't even like that the jump in the amount of data Win7 stores and caches compared to XP. The only reason I don't exclusively use my XP PC is because it is legacy.

Something that has the same flaw as the rest of the listed software.

>kinda buggy
They're only now starting to see some bits of floor below all the bugs.

>doesn't play nice with some hardware
That's a weird way to spell "any hardware".