/pcbg/ - PC Building general

if you want help:
>Assemble parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560 - poverty-tier builds
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R5 1400 - If you need multithreading
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use, not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>VEGA
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 or Vega 56 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM, 3200 MHz is ideal

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854003
amazon.com/S340VR-Elite-Computer-Matte-CA-S340W-B3/dp/B01LZQMXJT/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504612778&sr=8-1&keywords=NZXT - S340 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
msi.com/Motherboard/support/X370-GAMING-PRO-CARBON#support-mem-2
support.nzxt.com/hc/en-us/articles/202488374-What-is-the-difference-between-the-Source-210-210-Elite-220-
pcpartpicker.com/list/6Q2DYr
pcpartpicker.com/list/xgkZpb
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

asked in /sqt/

best x399 mobo? looking at the aorus/gigabyte or the msi.

reposting question from previous thread:
got a few questions about cases. currently using an NZXT source 210 elite along with an overclocked AMD [email protected]. im sure you can imagine that it runs hot as fuck. the actual package temp is fine under a corsair h90, but the socket temperature i was having issues.
during stress tests, the socket temp would skyrocket to 70c+ in mere seconds. i looked all over online and found a few people saying that its a flaw with the case; that hot air gets trapped behind the back panel where the cpu socket is exposed and quickly heats it up.
i removed the back panel, put a small fan on the cpu socket and tried to seal the open areas as best as i could. it completely fixed my socket temperatures, dropping them by 15-20c.

im wondering if that was the actual problem(hot air getting trapped) or if this overclocked chip just ran that hot and needed a fan on the back?
im wondering because my ryzen build is nearly complete and i dont know if i should purchase a new case or not. my corsair h90 actually does NOT fit in the 210 elite; its askew and i cant mount a fan directly to the radiator; i had to put it on the outside of the case on top. cant fit the 2nd fan at all.
this is the case i was considering buying: newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854003

i know its full tower and huge, but i want to be absolutely sure that the radiator fits. anyone have or know if this case is good, any weird problems with it, stuff like that?

Please help me guys
Should I buy a 970 or a 3gb 1060?

6gb 1060

I have a X4-860K. Do I overclock or upgrade?

disregard this man
buy a 980

970, you can still sli later if you want, unlike the 1060

what comes after Ryzen? looking at upgrading in the next 3-4 months, I heard a refresh is coming on the same socket sometime in 2018, is that true? worth holding out or will it be nothing special (i.e. just 5-10% improvement)

Why not fork out the extra for a 6gb?

upgrade to newer stuff

Zen2 soon™
Coffee Lake soon™

zen 2/zen+ comes after ryzen, whatever they end up calling it. unlike intel, this is the first improvement to the zen arch, so its gonna be more like going from a first gen core processor to a second gen, aka the best generation of processors in the last 10 years. beyond that, if the node they're using is anything like it's specs suggest, we're looking at huge boosts in clockspeed provided the zen arch can handle it. So think 10-15% improvements in ipc, putting them firmly ahead of intel core/core clock/clock, and another 25-30% clockspeed
pretty massive jump there, also potentially 12c/24t 65-95w mainstream parts, depending on if they up the ccx to 6 instead of 4. all on the am4 socket, which you'll have if you go zen now

anybody remember the am4 motherboard that is compatible with old am3 sockets?

Sadly I don't have the budget for nothing above 200 usd

I was going to buy a single 1080ti but 1080 sli is only $150 more, should I do it?

get the 1080 ti

then buy another 1080ti when 2080ti releases

Used 980 would then be better if you can find one.

Best mid or full case under 100?

>all on the am4 socket
nice, perhaps ill go r3 1200 for now and a nice am4 board and then upgrade again when ryzen 2 drops...that's a really nice upgrade path

ty

Asked in /sqt/ too.

My monitor stopped turning on. It black screened in the middle of a game but I could still hear the game fine. I think it's a gpu driver issue after light googling but I'm not sure. How would I update it if I can't see anything?

Gpu- amd rx 580
Cpu- ryzen 5 1600
Win10

amazon.com/S340VR-Elite-Computer-Matte-CA-S340W-B3/dp/B01LZQMXJT/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504612778&sr=8-1&keywords=NZXT - S340 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

its supported through 2021 at least, so you'll get zen 3 as well, and maybe another release or 2
pay a bit more for a mobo now and have it for 4 years, sounds cool to me

It could be worse, I have a poorfag 1050ti.

6gb 1060s are $400 here

Single powerful card is always better than two weaker cards and with SLI you're just gonna have so much headache trying to get things to work with it. Even Nvidia has given up on it.

>and you can keep the same mobo
>unlike intel
>LGA1151v2
top kek

ok ty

>Even Nvidia has given up on it.
not necessarily.
The reason for SLI and Crossfire not being as well utilized these days is because of Microsoft, specifically the new DirectX12 API. DX12 (and the Chronos Groups Vulkan API) gives the game developers almost complete control over resource distribution during games. All previous APIs handled that for developers, taking it out of their control. Now the game developers are in control. And for better or worse, this means THEY have to code in support for Crossfire and SLi into the game. It's no longer up to nvidia or AMD to put support into the drivers.

what's the best 1080ti?

The one you didn't buy

rog strix
kingpin
custom waterblock

does it matter what you have on an AMD board as long as its DDR4?

Not sure what your question is about
Sockets like TR4/AM4 uses DDR4
Older ones use DDR3 and older

What RAM?
If you can afford it, get a 2x16 kit at 3200MHz.
Be sure to check QVL on your board otherwise it may run at slower speeds.

Sorry, 2x8, not 2x16.

Value, noise, or performance?

MSI

Currently using a GTX 745. Should I plug in my HD 6870 instead, buy that R7 360 for $40, or save my cash for a 1060 whenever one goes on sale?

Should I try the 1440p 144hz IPS lottery? Is it worth the potential misery if I get a fucked panel?

noise and performance

All you have to do is RMA right?
A pain but you will get there eventually.

F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR

righto, i think its compatible. see link below. not sure how important it is to have the 14Q over the 16Q

msi.com/Motherboard/support/X370-GAMING-PRO-CARBON#support-mem-2

that pool water is awfully murky

They put in a lot of Jell-O mix

That site isn't working well for me
That RAM is 4x8 though; get a 2x8 unless you know you need more

NVIDIA still is cool with two-way, but 3 or 4-way is a fucking joke.

I think it's the Asus crosshair vi or something along those lines

All are basically the same, except maybe for the Kingpin as it's a Tier 1 silicone Bin and has an Overclock guarantee. MSI armor edition is the only one to avoid since it thermal throttles.

nope

anyone?
tldr: does the nzxt source 210 elite have a problem with hot air being trapped behind the motherboard(back panel) causing cpu socket temperatures to skyrocket?

>silicone

I have a Source 210 non-elite and my 4790K idles at like 35C at 4.3 GHz

>I have a Source 210 non-elite and my 4790K idles at like 35C at 4.3 GHz
socket temperature? the non elite looks the same but its not the same case, ive no idea the difference between them though.

I somehow doubt the hot air pocket behind the motherboard theory but fuck if I know

support.nzxt.com/hc/en-us/articles/202488374-What-is-the-difference-between-the-Source-210-210-Elite-220-

all right, well what about the temperature? is that 35c the socket temperature or the cpu itself?

I think I'll hold off on the $40 R7 360. Even for $40, $40 is 1/5th the way to a 1060. And the R7 360 can't crush 1080p. It can manage 30FPS, but can't get beyond that.

My next upgrade needs to smash 1080p into paste. Because it'll be a long-lived card until 2160p is viable.

Though I could still buy the R7 360 and then sell it for the $40 down the line when I decide to swap out. But I hate juggling hardware and dealing with people.

anyone can tell anything good about v64 Liquid cooled?
I think even my Titanium 650w PSU is not enough though.
Thinking about it because it got decent cooler and magically costs only 5% more than normal v64 here.

I'm getting pretty much the same temps anywhere I look in HWiNFO64

pcpartpicker.com/list/6Q2DYr
will be used for video editing, virtualization, and music recording. drives will all be in some form of software raid (0 for the nvme, 10 for the ssd, 10 for the hdd)

not related to your case but there's a lot of documentation on the socket temps effecting overclocking on the 8350. some older antec cases had support for a fan behind the socket, obviously there arent cases with that anymore. You could try getting something like a slipstream a nice thin fan and just cutting a hole on the back, then getting a fan grill for the back
when i had airflow across the back of my socket on my 8350 it let me hit 4.9 as opposed to 4.8, ymmv

>sli
>in this day and age

you know, a lot of people that shit on sli have never used it. ive used cfx and sli, and while sli isnt perfect it's pretty damn nice in most cases, and beyond that you can pick up a 970 off ebay for around 150-160 if you're patient, and thats a huge performance upgrade for the money

Looks neat. You might wanna switch out the case for something better. Maybe something Fractal.

Also, change the mobo to something ASUS or Gigabyte.

Also, Founder's cards are gonna be as hot as you allow them to be. I'd suggest picking up something cooler, maybe a Black OC or a Duke OC card.

thanks for the input. like i said, i solved the temperature problem for the FX8350 with a fan on the back, directly on the cpu socket.
im asking if its an inherit problem with the case now because i am building and nearly done with a ryzen build. so basically im trying to decide if i should buy a better case with less/no airflow problems that can also fit my h90 radiator.
or if i should stick to my current case and risk high thermals on ryzen because of the same issues. i could of course solve them the same way im doing now(assuming ryzen runs cooler when OCd than an FX chip, and im pretty sure they do), but its pretty inconvenient; more dust gets in and i have to constantly buy compressed air cans to clean it and i have a very nice 140mm fan sitting around totally useless because it does not fit anywhere in my case, let alone near the radiator it was meant for.

isnt the asrock taichi one of the best boards for ryzen? or is it only ryzen 3/5/7 and not threadripper?
or am i simply misinformed and there are better boards? if so, is it a big difference? i bought an x370 taichi for my ryzen 5 1600x build and i plan to overclock both ram and cpu as far as possible. i saw it is also a 12+4power phase board so it seems pretty solid for overclocking and in general.

I just don't like Asrock as a company, or most of their boards. If you feel like you've been informed well then go with what you think is best.

Taichi is the only x370 board from Asrock worth getting.

Most people would tell you to go Asus Crosshair VI Hero though.

I've been doing research on the x370 boards and it seems like all the budget ones have issues why is the AM4 platform so bad if you use a lot of drives? B350 shares too many lanes with other shit so you only have 4 sata when you use NVME, all the budget x370 boards got issues. Most of the AM4 boards got hot VRM issues, and the high end good x370 boards approach HEDT prices.

Asrock Taichi sells for more than a 1600X here for god knows what reason.

Will Ryzen 3 work on a simple B350 board too or will they jew their way around that with new chipsets?

RYzen 3 is already out and works fine with A320, B350, and X370 chipsets. though why you'd stick one in an X370 board is beyond me

Of course it works. All the chips are unlocked so you don't need arbitrary K or X marking to overclock and you don't need expensive motherboard either to overclock as all B350 and X370 are capable of it. Only A320 is locked but why the hell would you buy that.

Going to start my build today, here's quick checklist I've gathered from watching build guides

1. Prepare motherboard by putting in CPU and cooler and RAM
2. Prepare case, put in standoffs if needed
3. Put in IO shield
4. Mount motherboard
5. Mount SSD / Harddrive / Optical
6. Mount power supply
7. Connect everything up
8. Put in GPU and plug that in

am I missing something? The only fear I have is when I have to connect everything through cables, little worried about that

assemble everything on the motherboard box first, outside the case, and make sure it boots, just in case you have to RMA anything immediately.
After a successful bot test, unattach all the PU wires, take out the GPU, and install everything in the case.
Makes it easier rather than trying to troubleshoot shit in the case

how do i even power it on without the case power button

im a pcbuildlet and a brainlet

No no, i don't mean the current Ryzen 3 4core CPU but the third generation of the Zen architecture, the ones in 7nm+ which will come out 2020 or so.
I wonder if they will really let those future CPUs run on "simple" current AM4 mainboards or still introduce things like AM4+.

Mount GPU and run all the appropriate wires to where you want to connect them. Because after you mount your motherboard some of these wires can be extremely tricky to get into place (like the 4 pin CPU connecter which is supposed to come out from the top of your motherboard).

Make sure you are grounded and don't work on carpeted surfaces.

Tap a screw driver and bidge the connectors where you'd plug in the case power button

If you have a fancy motherboard, it should come with a power button on the mobo itself.

Otherwise, read the manual and then use a screwdriver to jump the 2 connects where your case power button is supposed to go.

>Make sure you are grounded
how do i do this?

buy an anti-static wristband, put it on your angle and connect that to a piece of grounded metal.

I'm waiting for raven ridge since a long while now... all I want is an ITX box with a nice integrated GPU

should I continue waiting or get something else?

RAVEN RIDGE
WHEN
WHEN
WHEN

Work barefooted on wooden ground
Work on a wooden bench
Work in contact with something grounded
Or anti static wristband

>not building your pc naked

1060 6gb or pay an extra $20 for an RX580?

I already bought my r5 1600 and will be gaymin with 1080p 60hz

>paying extra for an RX580

no, unless its cheaper, and prices are fucked for the 580s right now, the 1060 is slightly better and has less power consumption

the 580 used to be a good deal when it was cheaper, but paying more is not smart

rx580 only if freesync

With the 4+3 phase VRM AM4 motherboards hitting 90C+ with 6 core CPUs on a mild overclock, you might get the same problem when AMD introduced the FX9000 series they fit in the socket, but the power delivery wasn't beefy enough to drive them.

Makes me really wonder if I should spring for a good X370 board and 1700x, but then if DDR5 gets mainstream by the time I want to upgrade I'd be screwed.

I'm considering getting an SSD soon for my desktop, but I'm not sure if I should migrate everything on my hard drive to my SSD manually by reinstalling the OS and move files over, or if I should just clone the hard drive and migrate using third party software.

i cloned my OS partition and had no issues at all

Ive heard this can give you issues over time, tho.

A bit over 500 burgers, y/n?
pcpartpicker.com/list/xgkZpb

1.5 years now and still no issues at all. only reddit thinks it's bad because most of them are tech illiterates pretending to know stuff because they watch linus.

just arrived

how did i do lads

is this the best sub $700 vidya rig or what namsayin

usage? if it's for gayming i'd switch to 8gb 3000mhz ram and get 1050ti instead

i have the same exact box for the 1060

why no ryzen?

G3930 is about 40 eurobucks

Are you fucking retarded

>GTX1070
>El-cheapo LC-Power PSU
Enjoy the fireworks