/hpg/ Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yDjbTjelkgk
innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD569.pdf
innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD380Pro.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=oO3XdWimbKc
youtube.com/watch?v=SfJnHdBC-X8
youtube.com/watch?v=5AUF3HlmcDA
youtube.com/watch?v=YkApPluwP3U
canpicker.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

HD600 here.
What's your idol like, user?

I want to get the hd600, too.
I'm gonna wait til I can find it on sale for $250 though.
I've got enough headphones atm to hold me over
[spoiler]I know they're $280 something on Amazon atm[/spoiler]

youtube.com/watch?v=yDjbTjelkgk

Yes yes. Thanks for sharing

running with a cable is annoying as shit, what are some decent wireless/bluetooth buds

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

>wireless/bluetooth
>decent

the pic+timestamphone.

shut the fuck up anime loser

Asking again since I didn't get an answer last time:

I've read online that the Bose QuietComfort 25 leak a lot of sound to the outside world... How bad is it, really?
I really want good sound-isolating headphones, but I don't want anyone else to hear my shitty anime music and think I'm a pedophile or something.

HD569 or HD380 Pro.
innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD569.pdf
innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD380Pro.pdf
The latter have far better isolation, but worse sound (more bass-centric, less flat midrange). They do regardless sound very good (I do own them)

Posted this last time and got a couple real suggestions but mostly a bunch of people arguing about HD600's. I've tried them and thought they were really underwhelming so lets try this again.

>Budget
>Source
PC, DAC+amp that can drive up to 600ohms
>Type of headphone
Full sized/Over ear
>Open or closed
Either
>Comfort level
Comfort is really important
>Sound signature
V shaped or neutral with decent bass. Will be used for movies music and games
>Past headphones
DT770Pro (liked), Audioquest nighthawk(did not like)

these are not active noise-canceling, though.

DT 1990

Nopes, but they do have really good noise isolation, which is what matters regarding leaking.
As for outside noises disturbing your listening, with the HD380 Pro, listening via fulla 2 at 8 o'clock volume (pretty much the minimum), I couldn't hear the fire alarm at the office, a workmate had to tap my shoulder for me to notice. That's good good.
And re: ANC, my brief experience with somebody's bose QC35 was instant headache + nausea + almost vomiting. Can't say I am a fan.

I doubt any non-ANC could block out the ambient noise of air/train travel (which is primarily what I'm interested in)

guys guys guys

what's a good IEM besides the MK5?

With ANC, you'll still hear the people around you chatting. It doesn't even try to block that.
What you need it good isolation.

I just bought the HD650. What are some good music to listen to?

could you stop with the fucking "tee-hee le anime screencap I am a weeb just like you ^_^" bullshit?

In any case, you don't seem to understand what kind of noise air/train travel generates. It's not enough to block out the crowds of fat moms and screaming children, you also have to contend with the ever-present awful engine noise.
Also, these Sennheiser recs look absolutely ridiculously large. I don't want to look like a tool.

But of course, idols!
youtube.com/watch?v=oO3XdWimbKc
youtube.com/watch?v=SfJnHdBC-X8
youtube.com/watch?v=5AUF3HlmcDA
youtube.com/watch?v=YkApPluwP3U
>could you stop with the fucking "tee-hee le anime screencap I am a weeb just like you ^_^" bullshit?
kek, haters gonna hate.
>you also have to contend with the ever-present awful engine noise.
But that's pleasant? Do you hate trains or something? People are THE annoyance.

canpicker.com/

Taking more detailed comments on headphones. Drop some comments if you've owned any of these. In the process of overhauling the UI and providing more info.

Price should be a maximum, not a range.

>But that's pleasant? Do you hate trains or something? People are THE annoyance.
they are, but you can't actually enjoy music with a constant BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT of the engines or the gooddamn screeching of the train tracks. Blocking out humans is a huge plus, but it's pointless if you still can't hear shit without turning up the volume to 50%+. In other words, a "general" noise-reducing pair of headsphones that does a decent job at canceling out humans and engines is good, but ANC that does a superb job at canceling engines but only a "subpar" job at cancelling human noises is better.
Have you ever even been in an airplane in your short underage life? I begin to suspect you're only recommending these HD380 because they are the first and only headphones you ever bought, and you're moderately satisfied with them.

>Have you ever even been in an airplane in your short underage life?
I'm over 30, been in airplanes several times, including intercontinental travel (Europe Japan :P). But I've never ever listened to music on a plane. I do sleep just fine in airplanes somehow.
>I begin to suspect you're only recommending these HD380 because they are the first and only headphones you ever bought, and you're moderately satisfied with them.
I also own HD600. I'm actually quite satisfied with those.
>you can't actually enjoy music with a constant BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT of the engines or the gooddamn screeching of the train tracks.
Never been annoyed by train sounds, only people talking and being annoying in general. As for music, I've enjoyed music on somewhat long (~6h) train trips before, with mere earbuds (not even IEMs).
As for the HD380, I've enjoyed them with actual loud and annoying construction work going on. Even with music at low volume, the outside sounds do effectively disappear.

>mfw I need help buying IEMs but the animeposters just keep arguing

>I'm over 30
>kek, haters gonna hate.
le /r/anime weeb XD

>le /r/anime weeb XD
Haven't been through Sup Forums in a while. I don't think I've ever posted in /r/anime. You're probably thinking about somebody else.

Sup Forums IS /r/anime nowadays
jesus fucking christ I came here with a simple question and instead got in another pointless argument with le ironic weeb

are you asking for help to build your website filled with amazon affiliate links?

Yes.

IEMs are shit. Have an anime.

ER-4SR

just buy them for $190-200 used m8

Don't want to risk getting some fucked up headphones or fakes

hahaha no the market is flooded with them because they are over hyped, and you're not going to get fakes. there's a lot of good quality refurbished ones for $200 on ebay
>I've tried them and thought they were really underwhelming so lets try this again
kek

What kind of headphones do you recommend using in the office?

I'm planning on getting a portable amp/dac to be used with my headphones and my mac book. I'm debating if I should get the Oppo H2SE or the Chord Mojo.

I know the Mojo is nearly $200 more and will require an apple camera kit but if it's significantly better than the oppo I can wait a bit longer and get the mojo instead.

Any input?

>portable for laptop use
Chances are you do not need more than a Fulla 2, and that's $99.

you're a fucking moron lol. you were the one who commented on his related pic and started an argument with him

dragonfly's are far more convenient if we're talking specifically laptops

I have a pair of MEE Pinnacle P1 and a pair of Mayflower Fostex T50RP so I want something portable that'll give me the best experience below $500.

fiio a5 is the best price / performance then

I'll also be using it with my phone. I just saw the RHA dacamp L1. May look into that one as well.

>t50rp
Fulla 2 will drive that to 120dB+, that is, absolutely overkill.
>mee Pinnacle M1
No fucking idea.

that one is expensive af. the a5 has nearly 1W of power and you're paying $80 used up to $120 new. For comparison the oppo h2 does 300mw while the chord does around 500mw if i recall correctly?

Chord mojo, oppo is chinkshit sabre dac

>dragonfly's are far more convenient if we're talking specifically laptops
Uh no, they are not. They're fucking dongles, which means unless you've got some usb extension cable, it's attached directly to the laptop, protruding and annoying if you are trying to use a mouse or something else on that side of the laptop.

I know it's crazy expensive but this is a reenlistment gift to myself so I want to get something nice, not $1000 nice but $500 nice.

My only thing with the Chord is you need the apple camera kit and looks like other sorts of cables. I don't want to have to spend another $150 just buying cables and adapters.

I'm really liking the look of the RHA L1 but I'm going to have to do more research on it

>They're fucking dongles, which means unless you've got some usb extension cable
relax. I prefer those and I'm sure it depends on preference. Having multiple devices and wires everywhere is a pain for me for travel and I would rather just use a dongle

Ok, fair enough. I'm the opposite, I drag my fulla 2 along and it's bliss to have it as something more "separate".

>so I want to get something nice, not $1000 nice but $500 nice.
it's a bit bulky so Idk what your needs are, but the idsd black label is end game desktop amp/dac that can be used "portable". $500 on the mark

I'd say $500 is insane for a portable DAC (which will no doubt get abused), and that $99 fulla2 is more than enough (as in audibly transparent) for that sort of use, but what do I know.

also
>trying to use a mouse or something else on that side of the laptop
>not using a vim browser extension and being liberated from the trackpad/mouse

I agree, but user wants a $500 dac/amp and that's his perogative.

For the mojo all you need is this $30 lightning to usb from what I can tell

B-but I play games too.
(btw: steam works surprisingly fine with i3 as wm)

The SMSL idea on massdrop now is even cheaper, smaller, and is measurably transparent.

>btw: steam works surprisingly fine with i3 as wm
that's because i3 is the greatest, no other one is as mature and configurable

>The SMSL idea on massdrop
>$5 dac chip

I actually like dwm's "tag window into workspaces" rather than "move to workspace" feature. Too bad dwm sucks at everything else, to extremes such as needing third party patches just to get UTF-8 support.

t. Audiophool

>to extremes such as needing third party patches just to get UTF-8 support.
LOL.

no, I line out from my motherboard and phone into my $300 amp into my $500-1000 headphones

Cheap, sure. But that thing is puni AF
>32ohm:35.8mW(THD=0.1%)
>64ohm:31.6mW(THD=0.1%)
vs fulla2
>16 Ohms: 550mW RMS per channel
>32 ohms: 360mW RMS per channel
>50 ohms: 230mW RMS per channel
>300 ohms: 40mW RMS per channel

Probably measures worse than the "$5 dac chip". No comment on audibility.

> stock headband
> stock pads
ISHYGDDT

probably, but if I can't hear it I don't care. And if that's the case why would I buy a $5 dac repacked for $80-$150? I'm not falling for those jewish tricks
>>Cheap, sure. But that thing is puni AF
see above

why is it so ugly?

it's 2000 lines of code, it's meant to be minimalistic and for you to make your own changes
if you're not ready to change more than config.h then you are not ready for dwm

It's good for mobile use because it won't drain your battery like the Fulla.
The chip in the fulla 2 costs the same so even then your comparison is retarded.

I'm aware of dwm and suckless in general.
No, refusing to support UTF-8 to "keep it simple" is not sane, it's just retarded.
Japanese numbers as workspace names is pretty basic shit ;P

or you know, just use a modern language that has unicode support built in and isn't as error prone like C is. I'd prefer if my window manager didn't crash

my hd600s are so fucking comfy lads

>It's good for mobile use because it won't drain your battery like the Fulla.
The fulla2 has a separate usb port that's just for power, so it can be powered by a phone charger, your laptop or whatever, while using the main port with a OTG or newfag cable on the phone as DAC.
I do use mine to play deresute and such at work, but I just use the line in. Power does of course come from the laptop.

>The chip in the fulla 2 costs the same
the same applies to the fulla 2 and all the other budget dacs being overpriced memes. Do you have a noisy system or your noise floor isn't low enough? No? Then the only reason you need a fulla 2 is for the power, which you can get with amps

why would they add it when there are patches for it on the project's page?
You, however, do not understand what suckless or dwm is.
Don't get me wrong, if I were to write my own WM, I would have included UTF-8 support and possibly written it in something else than C, but you're comparing apples to oranges here.

Being tethered to the wall doesn't really qualify as "mobile" in my opinion. The Fulla is best describes as a portable desktop DAC/amp.

The fulla2 dac sounds better than my work laptop and my home's main motherboard. The latter has immediately apparent issues (noise).
Having a built-in DAC just ensures you're not being fucked by your computer's sound, and adds to the niftyness of the fulla2.

>you're comparing apples to oranges here.
what I'm really saying is that C is shit.
>The fulla2 dac sounds better than my work laptop
volume matched with decibel meter or voltage reader?

C is only shit if you don't know what C is good for.

and what would that be?

Writing very fast code. Code that is not far from manually optimized assembly, while being a whole lot easier and more productive to use.
Why do you think is implemented in C or C++?

It sounds better even if I make the laptop's output louder (handicap!).
>C is shit.
You're welcome to rewrite it in rust, kek.

>Budget
€100-€200
>Location
EU
>Source
laptop/phone
>Type of headphone
whatever
>Open or closed
closed
>Comfort level
top tier
>Sound signature
decent over
>Past headphones
AT meme's

NEED some great wireless headphones that are alright for gym shit and alright for music, that are pretty much indestructible

does any good brand do something like this?

i know this probably disgusts everyone here but pls help x

>Writing very fast code.
that's a predictable response, but it's not true.
>Code that is not far from manually optimized assembly, while being a whole lot easier and more productive to use.
It needs to be manually optimized because C code lends to more undefined behavior which makes it hard for the compiler to do optimizations. It's specifically the reason distro's never use -O3, things crash far too often.
>Why do you think is implemented in C or C++
why are a lot of things in enterprise programmed in java over python?

>great
>wireless

the wire will get in the way when i'm shagging ur mum x

Take it to the programming thread. Don't forget your programming socks.

>that's a predictable response, but it's not true.
I'm still waiting for you to back that up.
>It needs to be manually optimized because C code lends to more undefined behavior which makes it hard for the compiler to do optimizations. It's specifically the reason distro's never use -O3, things crash far too often.
All code needs to be manually optimized, but if you've ever written assembly you know that manually optimizing assembly is very different from optimizing a high level language like C.
>why are a lot of things in enterprise programmed in java over python?
Because it's easy. A lot of enterprise software is terrible. Take it from someone who works with it almost every day.

>It sounds better even if I make the laptop's output louder
that's an amp related issue, not dac. If it's noisy or has a high noise floor then it's a dac problem, or other problems like groundloop
>I'm still waiting for you to back that up.
lmao. You made the claim that C is "very fast code". Faster than what? interpreted or JIT languages? the only comparison you should be making is C vs other system languages. So prove to me that C is faster than other low level languages (C++, rust, etc). go fuck yourself if you're going to tell me disprove something you haven't proved yourself.

this

>that's an amp related issue, not dac.
vs using line-in of the fulla2. Not directly at laptop.
Directly on laptop it's even worse, as it has issues feeding the HD380.

a clipping amp / underpowered amp is going to sound worse than a lineout from a dac which is fixed. that being said the argument is pointless anyways, a shitty dac is a shitty dac and it can happen. good motherboards do just fine and just because your laptop had a shit dac doesn't mean all laptops, and all motherboards, have shit dacs

>lmao. You made the claim that C is "very fast code". Faster than what? interpreted or JIT languages? the only comparison you should be making is C vs other system languages. So prove to me that C is faster than other low level languages (C++, rust, etc). go fuck yourself if you're going to tell me disprove something you haven't proved yourself.
I'm drunk now and not willing to go through a whole lot of effort to prove you wrong, but I've made comparisons between different C compilers and a few different languages.
GCC with optimization won by far when it comes to speed, TCC won at size, CLANG was mediocre at both.
All other languages were worse at both, the ones i tested include C++, D, python and more.
I'd probably prefer to write my code in D just in general, but C is faster. even when D uses C functions.
I've never used Rust, but if it has native UTF-8 support it's by definition slower than C at handling ASCII text.

>and just because your laptop had a shit dac doesn't mean all laptops, and all motherboards, have shit dacs
Correct. And yet, with a fulla2's DAC, I don't have to give a fuck about that. That's the point.

>I've never used Rust, but if it has native UTF-8 support it's by definition slower than C at handling ASCII text.
that's a stupid distinction to make, considering rust is designed for safe multithreading and has the ability to easily make multithreaded code which will be quicker and safer C, but you're concerned about ascii text

and then you compare C benchmarks to D and python which are obviously languages not designed with pure speed in mind. these are meaningless comparisons

I'm done arguing programming, we are shitting up this thread

works for me

>I don't have to give a fuck about that
I mean, some people pay $1000-2000 for preamps just so they don't have to worry that a volume knob is messing with their $5000 dac/amp that they bought so they don't have to worry that the audio quality is being messed with