/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Use a search engine before posting

Previous Thread:

I currently have ubuntu 17.04 installed on my laptop, and after recently installing gnome I can't even login.
The computer freezes completely, only action I can do is force it to shutdown. It also seems to be using 100% of everything as it overheats and shutsdown by itself after 10 minutes.
Any ideas what the fuck is causing this? Computer works perfectly fine in recovery mode.
I have a HD8800M as graphics card, which is no longer supported so I have no amd driver for it. Tried an open-source driver but nothing changed, its still overheating and freezing.
I also hade all things related to bluetooth uninstalled since previously what was causing the freezes (before gnome) was errors with bluetooth starting up.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've been going back and forth reading threads on AskUbuntu for more than 3 hours now.

All PCs with Intel have a backdoor?

Is it worth defragmenting your HDD?

Most likely. AMD? Probably not.

I can't think of exactly what board this question belongs on so fuck it I'll ask here.
If I'm doing a search of something on youtube, is there any way to omit all videos from a certain user from that search?

Does anyone know what % youtube of views per 1000 clicks I would get through youtube advertising?

I.e I put $1 in it shows 1000 ads, it gets 1000 clicks. How many views roughly will it get?

Go look at AMD's PSP.

It has more access than anything Intel has on their chips, and it's running off of a standard ARM TrustZone setup. It's a literal poojeet setup because they don't have the money to go with a custom setup.

I probably fired the mobo of my wd external hard drive
can I stil salveage the data, where can I go to do this? that wont charge me much

Can anyone recommend me a laptop for school? I want a good battery, SSD, fast with opening up (((chrome))),thin to fit in a north face backpack and make as little noise as possible. Also being able to run rainmeter to make it comfy. Pricerange is about 700-1000 and preferably no autistic colours (just black and white or gray and those neutral colours)

What SoC could Sony use for a new hybrid handheld? Assuming they want to shit on the Switch.

I just installed Fedora 26, but I can't make the Trackpoint works correctly, it works, but it's too slow, and scrolling it's too slow too, I tried with xinput but none of these seems to be the Trackpoint.
Tried on Preferences > Mouse > Acceleration, but stills too slow and no scroll configuration.

l[a@Thinkpad ~]$ xinput
⎡ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ xwayland-pointer:13 id=6 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ xwayland-relative-pointer:13 id=7 [slave pointer (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard id=3 [master keyboard (2)]
↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard id=5 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ xwayland-keyboard:13 id=8 [slave keyboard (3)]
[a@Thinkpad ~]$

WHich one is the best?

from a youtubers point of view, I received about 1 euro per 1000 views (that's more than a dollar I think)
however as a watcher, I only ever clicked an ad like once or twice and even then it was by accident. so I have no clue how is it possible for the system to work

any Photoshop fags here?

I recently got the CC version after using some old version forever, so all these new features are fucking me over.
I made a new document, which apparently is an "artboard" now, pasted in an image and used the cropping tool to resize it to fit.

Now when I save it it saves it at the original size, so I have my cropped image but it still has the size of the original document all around it.

You need to scale the canvas down or take the selection of the new crop and make a new image from it

>tfw AMD and nVidia have switched

>You need to scale the canvas down
how do I do that? to me it looks like it is the size I want it to be, like before saving it's just the image I wan't surrounded by black. So I can't see where the fuck the original size is.

Is there really not an easier way than having to copy all my shit into another document?

Someone give me a good image zooming addon for Firefox. Image Zoom is broken, and I can't find anything else that's as simple as right clicking and scrolling.

I spilled some water on my laptop and now half the keys don't work.
Any way to fix this?
Or should I just buy a wireless keyboard?

Is it possible to use my iPhone as an audio device for my laptop? The headphone jack on the laptop isn't working.

Is there any way I can just use the working headphone jack on the iPhone as a substitute when I plug it into the laptop via USB?

>use my iPhone
lol no

I forgot what I was going to ask

Without reading reviews or comparisons on color stats, I'd go with the dell out of that lineup. But 1080p is really harsh on 27 inches, so I'd consider bumping it up to 1440p or down to 25.

You can turn off the new file creation dialog in preferences.
I do it every time, that new dialog is fucking terrible.
You can also switch the toolbox back to the old 2-row setup - I only found this option after I'd already become accustom to the new toolbox though.

Im technologically retarded and want Total warhammer (and any game in general) to load faster.

I'm looking to get an SSD just for a few games and my OS. Can anyone recommend me a decent one for bargain price? I really have no clue what I'm looking for and cant afford to get a dud.

Best CD/DVD burning software for Windows that supports disc spanning?

850 evo from samsung

thanks user. I'll put it on the list.

at&t router reset and changed the timezone, and internet didn't work for some time, how to check what happened?

How do I make Tixati pretend like it is uTorrent or qBitTorrent?

is

peerid:-UT2210-
xfer_peerid:-UT2210-
header:%0D%0AUser-Agent: uTorrent/2210(25110)

enough?

>Tixati
I see people on Sup Forums bullying Tixati users all the time, what do you like about it, user?

Just searching for a new torrent client, don't like qbit and deluge

My favorite torrent client of all time was an old version of uTorrent, before all the shitfuckery started. You might look into that if you haven't considered it yet.

I know I used to use it as well but I've heard it has vulnerabilities now and isn't secure

What don't you like about qbit?
I'm a pleb and I'm just thrilled if a torrent client isn't botnet and allows me to select only certain files for download and assign priority.

don't like how it deals with deletion of files when the torrent is paused, changes the completion to 0% or sometimes weird numbers

Oh, that sucks.

There's that one client Sup Forums loves but it's linux only, think it's rtorrent or something.
And with that I've run out of potentially useful things to contriboot. Best of luck, user!

>don't like qbit and deluge
Why?
They are both more featured and less bloated then taxidermy

>python based client

The original bit torrent client was python.
If python never existed we would not have bit torrent protocol :^)

I have the string: "[email protected]"

Can one of you kind anons give me a RegEx snippet to detect the double quotes?

What the hell is Android One? What makes it different than regular Android?

I've heard that sometimes freezing a CPU can fix it, can anyone explain?

Will artificial intelligence ever learn how to use it/identify sarcasm or irony?

this

Question about Netflix.
I have a friend in the US who has a Netflix account that she and her family use.
I live in Europe, and she gave me her login information so i can watch Netflix on her account too.
I am aware that only 2 people can watch Netflix simultaneously, this isn't the problem. But are there any limitations to the total amount of people / devices that can access the account?
In other words, is she going to get in trouble for some guy in Europe logging into her account?

A US VPN would sidestep the issue (maybe).
But even without that, probably not. People travel. Even if she got banned, it's just a subscription service, could open a new account in her husbando's name or something.

My guess is she'd get a warning, or you'd get some failure message on the login screen
>yuropoors get out, Netflix is a US service reeeeeeee

They might raise an eyebrow to the fact that you are in a different country, but I doubt it. And in any case it would probably just prevent you from logging on. They're not going to suspend her account or anything.

You can be logged in on several devices, but if two people are currently streaming and a third clicks on a video, the third person will get a message saying they can't stream until one of the others stops. Or you can upgrade. $20 is enough to cover the jump to 4 screens for like a year.

Video streaming services have worked pretty hard to blacklist VPNs the last couple of years. It's like trying to use one to post on here.

I'm pretty sure some SJW devs made this at Google.

I travel to Europe a lot for work and use my parent's account (they live in the US). We've never had problems, so doubt you would.

>LED
none of them

I have an external hard drive (NTFS) that I loaded with a bunch of mp3 a few years ago on a Windows machine. Now have it mounted in Ubuntu and can read/play most of the files, but not others (e.g., I get "permission denied") when I try to play them with ffmpeg. Ubuntu says I have read and write access, so I'm a bit lost. Any pointers as to what the root cause is (something that would help me search for an answer) would be appreciated.

I have 2 gmails, one of which I don't want to add as an account on my phone. I only have specific emails in that account that I kind of care about but are somewhat private, so would rather not have it forward the entire email with subject and all.

How can I get account 1 to send an automatic canned email to account 2, after receiving an email with criteria XYZ? I don't want it to simply forward the original email, and the only thing in the labs I found was canned reply, but I don't want to reply, I want a ...canned "send email to another email" sort of thing.

gmail dosent do this

I'm installing Xubuntu from a USB drive. I went throught some of the startup questions on the live CD and it's restarting to install. Now I'm getting this message:

"a start job is running for ubuntu live cd installer"

Am I supposed to restart without my USB drive connected?

yes

Can I unplug it now?

after it reboots

what is different about compression utility vs tar command?

Deluge links to libbitorrent for the actual torrenting.

Tar doesn't compress

Nub from hell question:

>is /dir/Nvme the same thing essentially as /dir/sda?

I got my computer reimaged and now my /sda/ is gone and /nvme/ is here, idk why

Thats where you're wrong friendo

>the same thing
yes

YouTube is always going to rape the bit rate of your videos, right? I was obsessing over the quality of my gayman videos and hated how they looked more blurry than my source file, but then I watch even popular YouTubers and their videos of the same game actually look even worse than mine. So that's just what it is on YouTube, right? No better format I can change it to before uploading?

You might be seeing a shit quality video if you're on a slow connection, since even if you're getting the top resolution available there are different bitrates and mp4/vp9 versions. What's your download speed, user? And does your browser support vp9?

How do i convert all number schemes to be 100 based i bash?
So
folder1
folder12
folder03
folder100
would all be converted to be 100 padded?

ty man

Best to-do-list/task program for a computer?

Something light and that I can get to open on boot.

txt file open as background

I can set notepad as background?

How do I connect my pc to the internet through a wire? Does it go through the router? Can I do it with my parent's shitty airport?

I just thought "what if there was a website where people can post their ideas for software projects, along with their attempts at implementations, and then people can come and look at it and possibly help improve the program, while also discovering something new and exciting"
And then i realized that's pretty much what Github is, EXCEPT it isn't that easy to find new, interesting projects on there. There's no easy way to just browse all projects, is there?

i think its called notezilla

it became so bloated, slow and buggy and i need a browser that will handle shitload of RAM. i need to do something about it
what would you recommend, Sup Forums? downgrade? if so, to which version? or maybe a branch? waterfox?
which one, in your opinion, was the most stable?

Mother of God.

The Wiki's back!!!

I just moved into a new apartment, and there is an optimum hotspot that I can log into with my parent optimum ID. I haven't gotten my internet hooked up yet, and I'm wondering if I can save money by just using the hotspot. How reliable will it be? I worried that it will keep crapping out on me, or suddenly disappear. I'd only be paying $20 a month for internet plus a required $60 installation fee. Anyone have any experience with something like this that can give some insight.

Dear god please let this be bait.

The branches suffer pretty hard from delayed security updates. I'd say just ride it out. They're getting ready to replace the whole engine it runs on, once they get done murdering the old addons. Might actually work well when it's all done.

Nightly.
There's plenty of WebExts now.
ublock origins

agingfag please

I have 1% disk space left, would this be why disk write speeds are so horrible?

It's hard to say. Your latency won't be great, but that's not necessarily a problem. The main thing is how strong the signal is and how much interference you get from your neighbors. Also if you're sharing an unencrypted wifi network, anyone can see what you're doing, and you're pretty reliant on ssl to protect your shit.

>Not even clarifying what kind of drive

Computer is dying and nobody can tel what it is. Its either psu or mobo or both. As such im building something new.

Going from 4770k to probably 1700 but maybe 1700x. Realize its a sidegrade but the cores should help with certain things I want to learn (namely blender).

My issue is with mobo and ram.
Asus has always treated me well. Is the ch6 worth the premium over the prime series? Never had a rog mobo before and im currently in a house share so wifi is a must.

Ram. As far as I can tell one of the best kits is the flare x as ryzen benefits from faster ram with diminishing returns after ~3200mhz. My issue is between 16 and 32gigs. Id prefer to have 32 but need help weighing the pros and cons and basically figuring out whats actually a reasonable expectation.

Gpu is a 7970 which I could upgrade but I only casually game lately and it seems to be holding up just fine.

Can anyone help me out?

mechanical

i need a stable browser that won't crash every so often and will allow me to open lots of tabs when necessary
old verions were doing great. these new ones barely deal with it

that rainman program

what does filter mean? those all look like non-tar compression programs.

Please don't lie lad.
Update your FF with a new profile.

It's not doing any favors. If you're that close to the edge, it's pretty hard for the OS to deal with fragmentation snappily. You really should have a drive that full, unless it's strictly long term storage and you're not booting from it.

tar --help

Read for your self faggot

*n't

torrent newfag here, how come usually when my torrents say "seeding" they don't actually start uploading unless I press "force resume"? or is this supposed to happen?

No booting,It has all of my media on it. It has 100gb left on it and its giving me less then 2MB/s transfer speed.

You have a 10 terabyte drive?

5tb raid

What's the most common problem that causes a PC not to boot after a few days of inactivity?

>speed = stability