/mkg/ last thread

So many keyboards died for this day, let this be our last moment of real appreciation.

press F to pay respects

Other urls found in this thread:

plasticseurope.org/what-is-plastic/types-of-plastics-11148/engineering-plastics/abs.aspx
recyclenation.com/2011/03/difficult-plastics-recycle/
pastebin.com/33S1gVkG
mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1753
amazon.com/Firstblood-Mechanical-Keyboard-Switches-Backlit/dp/B01L8EKTHK?th=1
mechanicalkeyboards.com/search.php?keyword=&brand=1&switch=&size=&led=&capmat=2&capprint=&model=&availability=in_stock&show_kb=off&show_kb=on&show_acc=off
youtube.com/watch?v=w6YLj12s1e4
massdrop.com/talk/2343/community-keycap-set-design-contest
reddit.com/user/-300BlackoutDrunk-/
mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2448
youtube.com/watch?v=Il8DT_alCLk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

first for data hand

Im gonna buy my 1st mechanical keyboard the logitech g413 silver, I didn't do any research and I choose it only for aesthetic reasons

Enjoy.

Gateron Blacks are the best switch

That looks sweet. Does it work?

thats not topre

Anyone know how i can fix a cherry key (cherry brown here) when getting intermittent key register? sometimes when i press a key, it only gets registered half the time. id have to press on it really hard to make it work properly. already cleaned the keyboard but still persists.

Those materials can all be recycled to make newer electronics instead of just sitting there doing nothing. How disappointing.

>ABS
>Recycled
lol

not very well. Most of them have been destroyed so any remaining ones sell for $1000+

forgive me, mkg

It is indeed recyclable!

plasticseurope.org/what-is-plastic/types-of-plastics-11148/engineering-plastics/abs.aspx

recyclenation.com/2011/03/difficult-plastics-recycle/

>it can be
That doesn't mean it is m88.
Code 7 - Straight to landfill.
If you put it in your recycle bin, the whole truckload goes to landfill :)

f

gatistotles are pretty nice desu

So I'm buying a new mouse and keyboard, I've gone through lists of 'best gaming mice' 'best gaming keyboards' lists and I'm still not sure 100% on what I want to go for, particularly with the mouse.

For keyboards I want to spend about 150 or less, I'm leaning toward either the hyperx alloy elite or the k70 lux rgb, kind of leaning towards the k70 more because I think red only LED's will grate on me with time, I also have the chroma 2, gpro/g810 and apex 500 on my radar, but I'm having trouble choosing, I do about even on typing and gaming but that 'typing feel' isn't super important to me so I mainly just want a nice keyboard that'll be fun to game on and will work ok for typing. Macro keys aren't super important but wouldn't mind them (not sure if I'd ever use them honestly but who knows). I just want a nice mechanical keyboard that will last me a while and serve me well while gaming.

Mouse I'm having an even harder time deciding, I currently have the deathadder black that I bought back when I knew even less than I do now. I like the feel and shape of it and I've heard the newest deathadder actually has a really good sensor so I was considering getting that. I also have the sensei 310, g502, g403, rival 700 and the hyperx pulsefire on my list of maybes. Are mice like the g900 and g903 really worth their price tag? I don't really want to spend more than 80 bucks or so on a mouse, but again I just want to buy something that will last me a good long while and will serve me well.

While I'm at it, what's a good mousepad? I play lots of different kinds of games so I'm not sure whether to go hard or soft.

I'm sure I sound neurotic in this post, so apologies for that, I'm just having trouble with this decision and want to spend my money wisely, thanks for any help.

>gayming
sorry but I stopped reading right there. Please refer to
pastebin.com/33S1gVkG

ok

>$150
>Merica
>No clue what switch I prefer as this will be my first mechanical keyboard purchase, I don't really care about the sound or that 'typing feel' some people talk about though so I'd assume either mxbrown, red or speed? Again not 100% sure, whatever's best for gaming but not absolute shit to type on.
>Not too picky about layout, from the short google search I'd say ANSI over ISO
>*80%-100% either works
>Want LED's, don't necessarily need rgb, but just don't want red only
>previous keyboard is logitech mk550, not a bad keyboard, lasted me a long time, want something sturdier, more gaming oriented, mechanical, etc. Not really looking to base my next keyboard off this one.

mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1753

Says out of stock, also, for that price would a k70 lux rgb not be better?

>would a k70 lux rgb not be better
Nope, not even close

You know gaming keyboards are a placebo. Getting one won't actually make you a better gaymer. Just get a cheap keyboard with blues like
amazon.com/Firstblood-Mechanical-Keyboard-Switches-Backlit/dp/B01L8EKTHK?th=1

Personally I'm not a fan of these gaudy keyboards so I would've gotten something simple with PBT keycaps

Corsair keyboards suck. Thanks to the non standard keycaps you can't replace the shitty ABS ones with some nice PBT. You're paying a premium simply for the RGBT LEDs. You can get cheaper keyboards with build quality on a whole other level.

Thanks for giving me a concrete choice to go for, mind if I just ask what it is about this keyboard? I've just never even heard of it and its hard to find a review of it anywhere either.

Apologies for my ignorance and thanks for the help.

Because that was what I said right? That I wanted to do better at games and this was my way to do it? Pretty sure that I laid out that I just wanted something with non red only backlighting that was of good build quality and more comfortable to play games with but not terrible for typing.

thanks for you suggestion.

Interesting, everywhere else you hear that corsair is known for their build quality, thanks for the info.

Just get a ducky or cooler master if you insist on gayming keyboards. Make sure to get the ones with PBT keycaps

does filco majestouch2 have PBT or ABS keycaps?

Not only do they have ABS keycaps, but they use the worst printing method. That's right you get pad printed keycaps. Its the one flaw with filco keyboards, but the layout is standard so 90% of the keycaps out there are an improvement.

I'm not against getting a ducky or something, just want to know what makes it so recommended.

Also for the second time, I never said I want a 'gaming keyboard', I don't care about labels, I want a keyboard that will be comfortable for gaming since I do a lot of it, has backlights that aren't red only and has good build quality/won't break in a week. To my knowledge that was some of the keyboards I listed much earlier, now I have more information, which I'm trying to work with.

Also the ducky isn't really available anywhere, the one I was linked too says it has abs caps and the one I can find on amazon has blue switches which sound irritating.

You're retarded
mechanicalkeyboards.com/search.php?keyword=&brand=1&switch=&size=&led=&capmat=2&capprint=&model=&availability=in_stock&show_kb=off&show_kb=on&show_acc=off

Yes I'm retarded because I was linked to a site by someone else here that I've never been to before, regarding a keyboard I've never heard of before and then couldn't find anything in a google search about said keyboard.

Would much rather be 'retarded' than be a cunt like you, enjoy being a virgin kid.

Stick to reddit then. While you're at it just buy that corsair keyboard. It's perfect for retards like you.

>Bought my first MX Blue board and took it to the office
>None of my coworkers has a problem with the noise
>But it was I who hated it
This shit is infuriating. Loved the key feels of MX Blue, but I just couldn't stand its high-pitched sound.
Any solution? Or any other switch that feels similar to MX Blue but without its sound?

Yeah you're new here alright.
Look, all the boards you listed are considered low-tier here, as they (usually) have gaudy gaming looks and silly brand taxes.
Plus, a lot of people here don't like RGB.
So, we have a bias here. If you don't like it, don't come here looking for advices, just as you don't go to Sup Forums for, say, some Apple love.
Ducky is considered a good-tier brand here: Solid quality, not too flashy, has RGB versions if that's your thing. So it's often recommended for noobs who just got into this hobby.
There, happy now?

so as a mkg noob and someone who isn't super autistic about gaming performance, are cherry blues all right to get for normal everyday use? looking at getting a rosewill

yeah but be prepared to get evicted from your apartment for using them

are they that loud?
should i get browns instead?

That's not so bad.

not that loud, but the sound is much higher-pitched than browns.

Which switches are clicky like Cherry Blues but have a low pitched sound with the same loudness?

gross
jesus fucking christ

Clicky Alps.

I want a well built cherry browns or scissor switch keyboard that's TKL, has skip to next/previous song media buttons, a dial for volume control, has a "normal" layout and is black/minimalist such as the Logitech G Pro. Don't care about RGB.
Is there anything out there for me or should I just get the Logitech or CM Masterkeys?
I'd get this if it's was TKL and not $200+
youtube.com/watch?v=w6YLj12s1e4

>dial for volume control
That right there instantly limits you to gamer boards

To be honest it's probably the one thing I would be willing to compromise on. But even without it I don't see a lot of solid options.

The thing is, dedicated media controls are much less common on TKL compared to fullsize, fullsize gives you nice empty space above the numpad to add 4 extra keys, TKL you can't really add anything without increasing the size of the board. Just get the CM.

I'm looking for a keyboard that says "Wow he really knows how to pick out a keyboard" but also says "Wow he's a cute femboy that would be easy to dominate and flush my seed inside his pussy"
Anyone know of something like this?

HHKB

>Budget
100ish
>Location (continent at least)
'merica
>Preferred switch type
idk mang brown?
>Layout
normal
>Form factor
100%
>Backlight
yes all the colors
>Previous/current keyboards
i want one thats white/blue/or pink

> brown
They are mush and prone to double activation
I'm switching to either clear, white, ore blues.

i recently bought meme yellows and i cant look back...i hate my gateron blues now

Give it your best shot

massdrop.com/talk/2343/community-keycap-set-design-contest

white HHKB at that

Yes!! HHKB's are great

this is accurate i have a white hhkb

reddit.com/user/-300BlackoutDrunk-/

Do I see a sag in that desk?

my hhkb came literally just yesterday. I've loved it so far. I was worried that the Topre 45gs would just feel like overpriced rubber domes but it isn't the case at all. It's not like any cherry mx switch i've ever used but it feels amazing. I'm not sure if they are linear or not (not the most experienced with mechanical keyboards) but they feel... good. The one comment I do have on the keyboard is the layout. It's actually really interesting, but it takes some getting used to. But once I have begun to get used to the control and delete key location it feels really natural (why would the backslash be closer than the backspace, like wtf) and going back to my laptop's keyboard now feels weird. Either way it only took me a day to really get used to it, and once I get used to the location of the tilda key I think I'll be set. I have been really enjoying this board though so far. For reference though my other keyboard is a pok3r with Cherry MX Browns. It's a nice board but I just wish I had gone for the Cherry MX Clears. Don't go browns if you do Cherry's. Seriously Clears are so much better and it's my biggest regret with keyboards.

Wow I was considering a white HHKB but I ain't no queer.

Not me. I don't post on rebbit, I don't have one of those and I don't take cell phone pics.

Why would you get another keyboard?

Spotted the dog owner

Perhaps you're just autistic
HHKB's are definitely a tactile switch but the tactile bump is right at the top so the rest of the key travel feels so smooth and almost linear. Model F's are the exact opposite, the way down the switch feels linear and smooth until the spring buckles.

>why would the backslash be closer than the backspace
There's a lot of issues with the standard ANSI qwerty layout.
Right hand pinky has to travel further for keys you're hitting constantly, like shift and enter, compared to left hand. Right shift is forever long too unless you get a compact keyboard.
Left hand pinky seems to be using shift a ton more compared to right, with caps lock taking up a ton of space to do nothing.

I haven't set up my computer for compiling keyboard code yet, but I'm really looking forward to customizing keys on the tada68 I have arriving today.

Pinky mods isn't an ANSI problem, it's a general problem of standard layouts that have mods all around the edges. That's why split ergo keyboards exist, with thumb clusters for keys like shift, enter and backspace.

That reminds me that ISO has that ugly fatty return key for no reason.

Anyway, seems like the standard could be fixed since we have so many nerds stuck in front of computers, but that would just introduce another form factor that nobody would move to.

No. They click - and they also clack from hitting the bottom (unless you use O-rings), so they basically have an extra sound on top of browns.

The click is just that - a click. Get a switch tester - order one from amazon and return it later if you're a jew.

The TypeMatrix layout is probably one of the best candidate for a new standard. It's ortholinear, while providing a middle cluster for modifiers/navigation, thus spacing out the ortholinear alpha clusters enough to make it comfortable to type with your wrists almost straight. It also provides excellent modifier access to thumbs.
To do better, you need either split or curved, and probably with a dedicated ergodox-like thumb cluster, and these features make things a lot more inconvenient, bulky, expensive, or all of the above.

Too bad nobody will ever move away from the standard. Heck, even picking literally any ergonomic logical layout - whether it be dvorak, workman, or fucking arensito or whatever - and making in the new standard would almost certainly be an improvement over qwerty, and a much bigger improvement than changing keyboard shape. but even that will never happen.

Somebody redpill me on qmk. I want to properly reprogram my tada68, how would I go about doing that?

would this work for someone who has arthritis?

Theoretically, probably yes. You basically don't have to move your wrists at all, you just lightly flick your fingers around.

Practically, good luck finding one in working condition, then paying upward of $1000. Your best bet may actually be paying someone to finish the modern re-creation project that was started - they got most of the finger assembly modelled and ready for 3D printing IIRC, but didn't do the thumb, and may not have properly finished the electronics.

can I get a rec for a good wrist rest

Sure, go down to your local Target/Kmart/local equivalent, buy the cheapest handtowel you can find and roll it up into a cylinder.

Different user here, I've seen this recommended a few times. What's so good about this? Is it just that it's just as good as dedicated wrist rests at a much lower price, or is it actually better ergonomically?

Check out the Vortex Race 3:
mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2448

Got one earlier this year with MX Silver switches - big fan of the keyboard's layout and the 75% form-factor in general. It has navigation keys, including arrows, an app key under Fn + Z, and a function layer with Fn key combos that do media functions.

the purpose of a wrist rest is to rest your wrists... A rolled up towel does exactly that while adding a more cushioned surface.

>now with even more autism!

>1 week researching
>1 week shipping
My Saber68 is finally here. Thanks for your help /mkg/

Keycaps feel nice and I no longer feel like I need to smash fingers into keys to get them to actuate. But I still need to do a few things to customize it and give it a proper test run.

>can't come up with a logical refutation to a point
>i'll call it autism!

making your own wrist rest will cost you less than 2 euros...
The square meter of synthetic leather is supper cheap and the inside foam, well no idea i got it for free.
Also it will last you for ever not like a towel

Synthetic leather feels like a butt

then just take some old jeans...

I have personally never got qmk to work, and have always used keyboard layout editor and tmk/tkg instead to program my boards. Good luck, because it's a huge bitch and you'll find a lot of different things won't work; I personally had to directly download tkg and do it off its shell programs because the tmk website never worked for me.

Or you could just use the applet for the Tada, do you really need more than 2 layers?

>wrist rest
>good
You do know its a fact that they aren't good for you. Arm rests are much better

Nice choice, user!

What switches did you get?

>do you really need more than 2 layers?
Yes, and you can do that - and much more - through the applet. But I'd rather have a text config file I can edit, than a bin file and a bookmark as my only way to edit an existing layout.

>tmk/tkg
Can this work at all with a tada68? It sounds like I'd need to completely replace the controller firmware.

Clears are close to blues in terms of feel, as in there is that 'giving' feeling halfway through a keypress, but clears don't make the loud click sound.

Greys are the same as clears but feel a bit stiffer.

Whites do make a click but are a lot quieter than blue, and feel marginally stiffer.

Greens are stiffer and give a louder click than blues.

Reds don't make sound but they don't have that 'giving' feeling half way through a keypress, they just go straight down.

Browns are the same as reds but stiffer.

I recommend buying a sample board before buying a fuckload of switches

qmk supports the tada68 and has 3 layouts listed by default, try one of those and then ad your own layouts with some easy copy pastes

The applet can add layers, but if you need special keys then it can't help. Plus there's no documentation on its macro settings.

My main hesitation with QMK is that it wants its shell program installed for compiling code. Doing simple keymap changes doesn't look hard, but I'm still trying to understand some of the syntax for doing other things with macros.

MOD-M tactile
Feels a bit too easy to bottom out after getting past the bump, especially on the left shift, but I'm coming from a board that needed to have keys slammed so I'll have to adjust.

>browns are the same as reds but stiffer

I thought browns were tactile while reds are linear?

Browns are "tactile", not tactile.

You're right. what I thought was a brown on my sample board is in fact a black.

>tfw fell for the Matias quiet click meme

Unless you buy gateron browns, of course.

>inb4 "muh alps/buckling springs"
Yes, MX switches in general have shit tactility. Even clears/greens don't come close to alps or buckling/beam springs. But in the context of MX switches, gateron browns are decently tactile.

I want to make a mech kb. Any good tut out there?

>I recommend buying a sample board before buying a fuckload of switches
Or i'll just buy a keyboard and not be a complete autist about it

Well just to have something different. I'm looking for something special. Maybe I'll just try to find one of those 80% IBMs.

No dogs m9, dogs eat feces.

have you ever shot a man?

youtube.com/watch?v=Il8DT_alCLk

step up your game

>I don't take cell phone pics.

Could have fooled me.

nah