/pcbg/ - PC Building general

if you want help:
>Assemble parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560 - poverty-tier builds
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R5 1400 - If you need multithreading
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use, not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>VEGA
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 or Vega 56 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM, 3200 MHz is ideal

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4RMbYe4X2LI
pcpartpicker.com/list/LtBm9W
pcpartpicker.com/list/swLm9W
pcpartpicker.com/list/JB2sTH
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236638&cm_re=2560x1440-_-24-236-638-_-Product
pcpartpicker.com/list/Q9s3Ps
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for my new computer didn't bring me happiness

So reposting my question for the new thread. I'll try to make it smaller.

Got some money coming my way, want to upgrade my computer. Goal is to be able to play at 1080p for the next good while at ultra. Found out I don't really need to upgrade my 3570k to do that so saved some money in a way.

This is making me consider splurging a little bit, I was going to go with the 6gb 1060 as it meets my goals fairly well, but considering I'll be saving in a way not having to buy the cpu/mobo I was planning on needing to buy I'm wondering if the 1070 might be ok to get. The 130 dollar or so price difference isn't nothing to me, but if it gets me even more longevity at 1080p and gives me the option to further upgrade later if I end up with more money I could try to go for 1440p eventually. It might be worth it, was hoping for some thoughts from those who know more than I.

i dont want this to be me

Can't be as bad as the guy who spent $5,000 CAD on a top of the line rig and instantly regretted it afterwards

>have a 1950x, mobo, and 32GB of RAM on the way
W-will I regret it too?

>Found out I don't really need to upgrade my 3570k to do that so saved some money in a way.
graphics-wise, no. but stability-wise, yea, you need a new CPU, and Intel is not the way to go right now for stability.

no

~25% power increase for about 40% price increase, and both will be obsolete in a few years anyhow

is it safe to do my build on a cloth mousepad? specifically the Corsair MM300. it has a rubber base if that's important

My stability isn't really all that bad now, only game I have issues with is pubg and I suspect that's mostly because of my gpu (I used to get pastel, unenterable buildings at the beginning of games, I also get big lag spikes and bad frame rates sometimes while driving).

I'm only going off what I was told here, which was basically that if I OC my cpu some (which hopefully ends up as easy as I was told when my new cooler gets here) then it should do me fine for quite a while longer.

So then I should just get the 1060 and save myself the 130 or so dollars.

This happens when people are not realistic with what they use their computer for

Do you really need a Ryzen 5 1600 for more cores and threads when you only stream "sometimes" and edit videos "sometimes"?

Do you really need 32 or hell even 16gb of ram when you know you'll rarely see about 6gb usage in your case?

Do you really need a 1070 when you spend most of your time shitposting on Sup Forums?

Making smart decisions like buying into a AM4 socket knowing you have flexibility down the road is a good example of money being well spent

Most fags here would be fine with a r3 1200 and a 1050 desu

Not him but I went with a 1600 and a 1050 for light gaming.

My primary goal was PS3 emulation, and it's... getting there.
I rarely utilize my CPU to its potential but I do feel I'm better prepared (not proofed) for future software which may actually require it.

Coming from an original Phenom I'd rather have the overkill now and let software catch up to me instead of the inverse, and the 1600 wasn't relatively more costly.

Yes, save that money for a top of the line GPU next time you're in the market, or if it's burning a hole in your pocket, put it toward a fancy peripheral

I've got an R5-1600 + gtx1060 6gb setup with a 24" 1080p 60hz monitor.
Should I buy a better monitor and if so, should I get a 1440p 60hz monitor or a 1080p 144hz monitor?

crossfire my fury or get a vega 56? getting a 1950x soon.

Definitely planning on getting a new mouse and keyboard too. /mkg/ are weird though so having some trouble there.

should I sell my unopened 7700k? if so, what should I get instead?

B-but Sup Forums was shitting on the R3 1200.
;-;

I got a 1700x and am using it with a 1050ti. Didn't need the 1700x but I know I probably won't upgrade anything aside from the gpu for a couple of years.

>tfw got to that age where i don't care about vidya anymore and im fine with a 1600 and some shitty 6670 I found at a thrift store

you make a compelling argument

>My stability isn't really all that bad now,
by stability, I mean stuttering. 4 cores and 4 threads just isn't enough anymore.
I hate to sound like a drone, but we need more cores and more threads.

Care to elaborate on stuttering? I honestly have very few issues currently, and I'm using a shitty stock cooler and my 3570k isn't OC'ed at all (hopefully changing soon)

>Giving up things you like because of peer pressure

>66W TDP
lmao

youtube.com/watch?v=4RMbYe4X2LI

Im wanting to build a computer to run cities skylines maxed out or almost maxed. My budget is very small tho. I bought an fx 6800 cpu months ago and im ready to buy a gfx card. My questions are as follows:
1. What video card will give me the best bang for my buck on this game?
2. Is 8gb ram enough?

>fx 6800
Now who the fuck told you to do that?

>FX CPU
I'm an AMD fan, but this was a stupid idea. You should've gotten an AMD Ryzen 5 1600.
>1. What video card will give me the best bang for my buck on this game?
At the moment, an nvidia GTX 1060 6GB is the best bang for the buck. If prices were normal, it'd be an 8GB AMD Radeon RX 580.
>2. Is 8gb ram enough?
barely. You want 16 GB

So watched about half the video, interesting stuff, but I mean I never disagreed that they are better chips. My point is for my needs I've both heard and now believe that my cpu will do me ok. I mean those games are insane and yet it still was always above 60 fps (granted with the titan x, but that's just to have a control), which is enough for me.

Sure I'll eventually need to upgrade obviously, but I get the feeling that my current chip will last me a little while longer for what I'm looking to do.

Your setup is great as it. If you still want an average of 60fps at 1440p you'll have to get a GTX 1070. Go with a 1080p 144hz if you don't plan on upgrading and if you play competitive games.

Overclock a cheap r5 1400 with a $15 air cooler thats on sale. Upgrade in 2020. thats about $180~200 for a cpu+mobo combo.
If you dont have ram, get $110 of 16gb 2666. Check the ram compatibility.

graphics cards are 560/1050, for under $100
1050 under $150
1060 3gb for under $200,
1060 6gb under $300, !080 for $500, These are your only reasonable new purchases.

Go home everyone

just go with a 1600 and upgrade never

Throw your FX in the trash. Buy a 1500 or 1600
Get you a 1060
8gb will never be enough.

Will I regret getting Ryzen 7 1800x over I7 7700K to go with 1080Ti for 1440p? I know below 1440p Ryzen will be better bang for buck, but does it also hold up on 1440p?
How much is the average fps difference at that resolution?

Cities Skylines can't use more than 4gb of ram. Stop lying to the guy. Ram prices are inflated right now, so put that money into a new CPU instead (even a R3 1200 performs better) since it's it's a processor-heavy game.

no, both are more than enough for 60hz, and if you plan on 144hz, an i7700k won't be enough anyway

>Will I regret getting Ryzen 7 1800x over I7 7700K to go with 1080Ti for 1440p? I know below 1440p Ryzen will be better bang for buck, but does it also hold up on 1440p?
>How much is the average fps difference at that resolution?

link me to the 16gb ram for $110. on amazon.

Hogher res means GPU, not CPU bottleneck.
You could use a 1700x and there wouldn't be much of a difference.

pcpartpicker.com/list/LtBm9W

how did I do? I only need case now

u fucked up on the RAM, lad

Just went down the local store to ask for the x370 taichi.
They checked their stock, said they didn't have any, tried checking all of their other branches for stock, didn't have any.
Called Asrock asking for stock, says there weren't any.

Tells me Asrock might be refreshing the Taichi or something and wouldn't let them place an order.

Checked other places, also no stock, no stock online either. (This is in the Asia Pacific)

In the end I got the Prime X370 Pro over the Gaming K5 for the VRM, considered the ROG Strix X370-F Gaming, but it looked like all you get with the price premium is the RGB lighting.

hey guys its user from last thread
Is MSI Z270 gaming M7 good with Ryzen 7?

No, Z270 is a fucking intel board.

Perfect, thanks!

thancc
sorry for autism questions its my first build

Just put it together and testing a bit, 1.35v @ 4.0ghz, do I drop the voltage first, or do I stress test before I start dropping voltage?

Computer is dying and nobody can tel what it is. Its either psu or mobo or both. As such im building something new.

Going from 4770k to probably 1700 but maybe 1700x. Realize its a sidegrade but the cores should help with certain things I want to learn (namely blender).

My issue is with mobo and ram.
Asus has always treated me well. Is the ch6 worth the premium over the prime series? Never had a rog mobo before and im currently in a house share so wifi is a must.

Ram. As far as I can tell one of the best kits is the flare x as ryzen benefits from faster ram with diminishing returns after ~3200mhz. My issue is between 16 and 32gigs. Id prefer to have 32 but need help weighing the pros and cons and basically figuring out whats actually a reasonable expectation.

Gpu is a 7970 which I could upgrade but I only casually game lately and it seems to be holding up just fine.

Can anyone help me out?

depends on the prices for the 1700 vs the 1700x. if the 1700x is only slightly more (read, 25 more or less) then go for it
the crosshair is one of the top x370 boards, but to be honest you really dont need x370 unless you HAVE to have more lanes or want sli. you'd be fine with a b350, msi b350 gaming carbon pro is a great option for that
ask yourself, do you know you need 32gb of ram? if you dont know, you dont need it. even for blender or video editing your gpu will be the bottleneck before your ram in this case
also, do yourself a favor and dont learn blender, learn premier or vegas or resolve or something actually usable

pcpartpicker.com/list/swLm9W
Thoughts?
Shits and giggles build.
Before criticizing, look at the parts chosen. There is a theme going here. I wanna see if Sup Forums can figure out the theme.

Will look at 1700x prices. Basically jave to see about corsair sendig me a bracket for my h105. Otherwise the spire was insurance.

As far as the ram I still dont understand all the issues with ryzen. Im under the impression that 4 sticks results in slower apeeds than two so while im open to doing 16 and seeing if I need/want 32 later im javing difficulty understanding the implications planning something like that might have.

If the ch6 is a good board I kight just go with it. Im likely to upgrade this proc next gen or the one after that, especially if theres more of a difference between the new ryzen 7 models.

Ask yourself,

Do you need more than 4 sata + NVME, SLI, beefy VRMs?
If yes go x370, if not go b350

Get the 1700x if the price difference is minimal.

If you're running blender then you should be getting 2*16gb to leave yourself an upgrade path to 64gb in the future, you might not need 64gb now, but 3 years down the line and Zen2/zen3 comes around and you might be itching for it then.

Ryzen will run 2666 without overclocking, and the difference between 2666 and 3200 isn't as great as people make it to be unless you're really hitting the memory.

If you got the money, sure go 1700x/1800x + C6H, if not, drop down a tier on the motherboard to keep the 1700x since you already have a cooler.

>Low frequency ram
>Ryzen

You dun gooded senpai, return that shit if you can.

this friend made my other friend a build.
thoughts?

pcpartpicker.com/list/JB2sTH

scrap the Intel processor.
and the cooler.
and the motherboard.
Get an AMD Ryzen 5 1600 instead.
Use the stock cooler. It can handle a moderate overclock.
Then use a B350 chipset motherboard. I like the MSI B350 Tomahawk, but that's me.
bump the SSD to 240 GB at minimum.
Scrap BOTH of the HDDs and grab 3TB Seagate Barracuda for the same price as both of them.
Scrap the Phantom case. It's hideously out of date. Current favorites are the NZXT S340, Phanteks Eclipse P400S, and the Silverstone RL05.
The Silverstone has a spot for the DVD drive so there's that.

Other than that, get a different version of the 1070. Reference cards are shit.

Jesus christ. It took me forever to fucking install and correctly set-up a goddamn Samsung Nvme. Looks like mine stopped randomly freezing, I hope.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236638&cm_re=2560x1440-_-24-236-638-_-Product
this monitor is cheap and i like the thin bezel however i see a few people online complaining about backlight bleed and dim spots
do any of you have opinions on it?

"Cheap chink shit" theme?

nope.

All I can think of is Redline, that animu movie.

close enough.
Car racing is the theme.
Honestly, I thought the motherboard, and SSD would give it away.
>Biostar calls their motherboards the Racing series
>SSD was made by Hyundai

Fixed your...everything.
pcpartpicker.com/list/Q9s3Ps

Don't buy windows.

The female molex in here goes to my case fans. I couldn't find a molex to 4 pin atx to plug directly into the PSU, but I found this male molex to female motherboard 4-pin. Can I connect that to the motherboard's cha-fan2 or is molex only for PSU?

So g/
Considering a build for moderate 1080p60hz gaming and occasional shitposting, I'd like to upgrade GPU because that HD6970 is showing it's age now.
I'm thinking going RX570 but would I really need to change CPU with that? I feel like good old i7 950 is still a great chip, would the 570 be limited by it?
What do you think Sup Forumsents?

2 questions
Does dual channel vs single channel make a huge difference?

Does the motherboard/PSU/tower casing come with all the cables and wires needed for hooking up a PC? Or do these things usually come with the part? For example, does a 1080 come with cables?

Motherboards usually only come with 2 SATA cables so if you have more than 2 drives than you need to buy more cables.

Cables for the 1080 will be on your PSU
Cases will have all the cables for switches, indicator lights and front panel IO.

If you have to ask, then no, dual channel ram will not matter for you, it makes 2~3 fps difference in games.

If you're playing games that does not leverage high clocks or high IPCs then it won't be limiting to the RX 570 which is a mid low end card. Hell RX 570 will not hit 60fps on some newer triple AAA titles unless you drop to medium or lower settings. It was made for Overwatch, Rocket League, CS:GO and other shit like that.

Is there an order you should overclock ram/CPU in?

Getting my r5 1600 soon and 3200 2x8gb ram kit

CPU is easier to get stable first, ram is a hit n miss, sometimes you get your ram tweaked, overclock the CPU and it fucks up memory again since the controller is on CPU.

Bump please help

does installing the OS on a ssd have any other benefits than the initial boot time?

Why don't you connect the fan directly to the motherboard.

Or use Sata to Molex

Windows 10 will compress itself on a SSD resulting in smaller footprint, opening and closing anything related to the system will be faster, keeping the prefetch, pagefile and other stuff on the SSD will result in better overall system response times.

The fan 4-pin mobo cables are short, dug in deep into the chassi and won't reach the mobo.

I have no sata to molex, thought you wouldn't have to buy a crapload of cables

PSUs will have at least a couple of molex plugs somewhere, look harder.

I have this but they're all female, has to be male right?

Those are the cables you should use for the fan.

Thanks so much! Thought males female was a big deal here. There are two loose hanging 3pin labeled "front fan". I can connect one of them to cha-fan1 on the mobo with some effort. The second one is conjoined and won't possibly reach all the way to cha-fan2. Now the issue is, there are no front fans in the chassi, only rear and top that are already wired into the molex? So what about those two loose hanging ones?

Update from yesterday. I got my last piece yesterady and started installing, I got the wiring done and tried to boot, couldn't get POST.

On my mobo there are LED lights that diagonse errors, and I have mixture of these yesterday, randomly swapping the RAMs seemed to fix this somewhat.

I had times where I'd have no LED lights on (seemingly no errors) and I still couldn't get anything on the screen, even after waiting several minutes. And yes, the DVI is plugged into the GPU not the mobo.

Then I tried resetting the CMOS, using a screwdriver between and also taking out the battery for 10 seconds.

Still no POST.

Then I read that having extra stand offs in the case can cause bad things for your mobo, so I took everything out, and lo and behold there was an extra unused standoff under the mobo, I took that out. Tried to boot, and BAM, now I get CPU errors, and the systems shuts itself down after 10 seconds with power.

Im gonna order new thermal paste (i didnt imagine id need it, shit comes preinstalled) to check the CPU now.

It feels like every time I plug a hole in this sinking boat, a new problem comes up. Im too fucking stupid for this shit.

I have a shitty 5 year old Toshiba office laptop.
The issue it has is that the fan doesn't spin fast enough, it's slow and while I have good internet it takes forever opening URLs and takes forever to open desktop folders.

Is there a way to give new life to this laptop and upgrade it to a gaming laptop?

Thinking about getting a large enterprise HDD, ~10Tb. Are there any reliable sources on failure rates of those helium drives? I'm planning to get one with 5 years of warranty anyway, but warranty won't protect me from data loss.
Also is there any major difference between the different companies? Like supportwise or something?

post specs. We're not magicians here.

>Is there a way to give new life to this laptop
Maybe
>and upgrade it to a gaming laptop?
No

I plan on building a completely new pc as my current pc is 4 years old. I think I want to get the Nvidia 1070 which i heard is great price/performance. but with the Nvidia 1070, is it better to do
1080@144
or
1440@144
CPU I might wait til next month to see what coffee is like otherwise I might R5 or R7. I do a lot of video editing and games.
suggestions?

depends on gayms. CS:GO? GTX 1060 should be enough for 1440p. Witcher and shit like that? 1080ti for 1440p 144fps

>using the preinstalled paste
Honestly I've never felt comfortable doing this, I always clean my stock fans and apply the good shit.

R6:Siege, possibly Destiny 2, pubg,

Model:C855D Satellite

Processor: AMD E-300 APU with radeon HD graphics 1.30 GHz

Ram: 4GB

64 bit operating system

Any brands you can recommend?

I just don't get how I can keep getting DRAM errors, then I take everything apart and then I suddenly start getting CPU errors and the system shits itself after 5 seconds of power.

Im gonna take it all apart one more time tonight and make sure everything is connected

I just want to see a damn logo on the screen, is that too much to ask

you won't get 144fps in pubg with whatever, as the game runs like shit on most rigs
Destiny 2 doesn't even run 144fps on a 1080ti in fhd.

get as good a gpu as you can afford
giving it a ssd might make it useable, but it won't be able to run games for the life of it.

Not every molex needs to be plugged in, extra ones can be just left alone.

Can someone link the updated gaming mouse list for me, please? Mine broke just now and i'm thinking of ordering a new one.

Or just recommendations. Mostly play RPGs and FPS games, but i'd love my mouse to have 4-5 additional buttons

I use NT-H1 personally. This honestly sounds like a motherboard issue.

so would it be better to aim for just 1080/60fps then?

or what if the monitor support gsync

1440 60fps is possible with a 1070, g-sync is a good idea as well.
alternatively, get a ayyymd and use the 100$ the freesync frees up for a better gpu.

>Enermax Liqmax II 240 for $40
Fuck. FUCK. More for me to buy. Passing up on that would make me retarded.

Like the Enermax case I ordered doesn't even support 240mm coolers unless I get to cutting shit out of it or mount them on the outside. via running the tubes out of a flipped side panel. But that's $40 for a 240mm cooler.

Even when I try to have nice things I still end up going full Frank.

Fuck it. if I'm going full retard, why shouldn't I run dual 240mm CPU coolers connected to a solid aluminum brick set over the CPU itself?