/wdg/ - Web Development General

Open Source - Community Edition

>Previous Thread
>Getting started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
MDN web docs offer a good intro (independent of your browser choice)
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn

>Free online courses
codecademy.com/
freecodecamp.com/
bento.io/

>Roadmap
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap

>Resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - General documentation for HTML, CSS & JavaScript
stackoverflow.com/ - Developers asking questions and helping each other
caniuse.com/ - Check browser support for front-end web technologies

>Youtube channels
youtube.com/user/TechGuyWeb - Traversy Media
youtube.com/channel/UC8butISFwT-Wl7EV0hUK0BQ - freeCodeCamp
youtube.com/channel/UCO1cgjhGzsSYb1rsB4bFe4Q - funfunfunction
youtube.com/derekbanas

>in-depth comparison of VPS hosts
webstack.de/blog/e/cloud-hosting-provider-comparison-2017/

Other urls found in this thread:

superuser.com/questions/105838/how-does-router-know-where-to-forward-packet
blokkfont.com/
youtu.be/MaJCfdmr9Wg
youtube.com/watch?v=6v4E6oksar0.
css-tricks.com/gallery/
phpsadness.com/
wired.com/2014/06/facebook-instagram/
infoq.com/presentations/instagram-scale-infrastructure
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm a professional web developer making wildly more than I deserve two years out of college. I spend most my day doing japanese vocab flash cards or playing chess, I probably average two hours of actual work a day.

Despite sounding great it's actually kinda depressing being so bored all the time, often drink (spike my coffee) to get through the day. AMA.

Stop being lazy and get a personal project.

Anybody have a raspberry pi docker image with php7, apache and memcached preinstalled that I can use as a gitlab runner? Or what's the easiest way to install php7 + memcached on a raspberry pi?

What's the best static site generator? Hugo? Just need something which will produce a clean and fast site, don't need frills.

Yeah, its fucking hard to get yourself motivated. Specially when you do boring stuff you already know how to do.

Once in a while I get into flow and do straight 7+ hours programming, but that only happens when you do something you havent done before which is somewhat hard/complicated..

Going to closed beta with my WebApp boyos

Today is my final dev day before handover to my first paid client

wish me luck and hope I didn't fuck it all up

hint: it's a fucking php abortion

>make a pretty website as requested
>client fails to provide necessary content
>client is now on vacation
How do you guys deal with this bullshit?

I guess Ill just fill it up with dummy info.

How does a router know which device is meant to receive which packet?

I like jeckyll

By it's IP.

How the fuck do I make a custom register / login screen on wordpress? I don't want the user to register on the wordpress botnet but on my own site with a new role called user or something like that. I need my own database and php scripts for this right? Can someone point me to a tutorial because I can't find it.

So when the router receives a packet from the internet the packet has the public IP and the private IP of the device that wants it?

no, your router sets up a new connection from a specific port and knows which client in the network should receive packets, that arrive on that port. (roughly)

superuser.com/questions/105838/how-does-router-know-where-to-forward-packet

>Docker
Can you have a box where you literally run virtually everything through a Docker image? Is that a good idea? Just learning about Docker and interested in what is really possible with it.

Functionality isn't the problem.
I could pretty much do anything I would want with Node, except find and entry-level job.
It's all PHP or Java, with the occasional C#

Once upon a time Ive asked for books about ruby/ ror and user gave me a link, which I lost. Anyone can link up good ruby or ruby on rails books resource?

Making some sites for companies. "Landing page" and "About".

It's done swiftly, but I'm having serious problems writing the "about" text.
I'm getting STUCK!

I simple can't come up with anything great, and I dislike writing it - a lot.

Anyone got some good templates for this stuff?

Etc, "Company X has a wide ranging experience in the field of Y, for over Z years we have developed our blah blah blah"

I'm looking for a truckload of filler stuff like that ^^^^^

$100 and I'll write it

What do you do? How do you do it?

t. Aspiring web dev who needs to pay the rentz (or die) soon.

Copywriting shouldn't really be your job.
Depends on what you agreed to deliver though.

Vagrant or docker?

Spring mvc docs are a clusterfuck, what is a good resource to learn it?

>tfw your english major bud makes this shit for pittance
No option to pay someone who knows how to write?

Are you hosting your own website?

No, unfortunately not!

blokkfont.com/
&& free images

It doesn't, a router only knows which port to send packets out for any given IP. When it reaches the last router in the chain, the router sends it out a port connected to a switch, which knows what MAC addresses are in each direction and what IP addresses go with which MAC addresses (ARP table). The switch will send the frames (Not packets; Switching is layer 2) to the port with the right IP-MAC address association. Usually there's only one MAC address on the other end of any collision domain these days, but in the old days there were bridges and everything connected to the bridge would receive the frames for everything else connected to the bridge, and would have to selectively drop frames that didn't match their MAC address.

Basically, neither switched nor routers know what device is meant to receive a given frame or packet, and they don't need to.

Why are you misleading this person? You clearly don't understand IP networking. Routers don't have knowledge of individual devices. You're also confusing physical interfaces and transport ports.

you gonna tell us how you did it or just mope about your good luck

youtu.be/MaJCfdmr9Wg

Opinions on web assembly? personally I haven't tried it yet, but to me it seems perfect for putting out d3js like animation/simulation with thousands of nodes without killing the client browser.

I am sorry user.
Just thought I would try to improve upon the previous "because of the IPs" answer.

Is it really that wrong? Thinking about a home router setup specifically. Does the router not act as a kind of middleman and therefor necessarily knows which individual devices in your network it is routing the packets/frames/messages/whatever for?

>"Hi, just to make sure: content delay? I still get paid hourly (doing nothing)."
Worked literal wonders for me. One greedy fuck literally skipped first two days of his close relative's event to provide me with photos.

This

Or this?

>spiking coffee
How don't you fall asleep after drinking?

This one, except move the three dashes to the right side

How do you find web design inspo?

I'm currently working on eBrochure type sites but am having trouble finding good inspiration.

Do you have any specific web dev firms' portfolio that you browse through or anything?

Tried it for my sdl2 samples (2D, c++, no gl), works alright. Saw some Typescript vs. C++ 3d graphics demo, like 70fps boost and that video editor demo from the recent Google I/O youtube.com/watch?v=6v4E6oksar0. Everything looks cool

Yeah, "wasm d3" would be pretty neat actually. hm

I surf through top rated things on sites like templatemonster, themeforest, landingfolio.

this
do you really not keep a collection of things that inspire you design wise?
like cmon that's the entire reason why pinterest is even successful

would separate the play/pause more from the other elements. Either center the two or maybe move the burger menu to the right as well?

It helps to think of the OSI layers.

IP is a layer 3 protocol. Routers are a layer 3 device. Let's forget about layers 1 and 2 for now (wires and switches). When a packet leaves your computer and arrives at your computer's default gateway router, the router will use the destination IP address to do a lookup on its routing table. The routing table associates IP ranges with a physical interface on the router; usually this association is created by routing protocols, but static routes can also be configured. The point is that all any given router needs to figure out is the *next hop*, that next router in the chain that will (hopefully) get that IP packet to its destination. The router doesn't need to know anything about the destination network or the devices that exist there; from the router's perspective, there's no difference between sending a packet to a device that's connected directly to the router with an Ethernet cable and sending a packet to a device that's on the other side of the world across several autonomous system boundaries. The amount of processing that any given router needs to do for any given packet is the same regardless of the number of hops between the router and the destination. This is why the internet can scale; it can add complexity by adding nodes (routers) without increasing the computational burden on any one node.

A packet midway through its trip from source to destination may have passed through 10 routers and may pass through 10 more; there's no way for the packet or the current router to know, and there's no need for them to do so. No router needs to guarantee that an IP packet will be delivered to its destination; IP is not a reliable protocol, and packets are dropped all the time. It's not a big deal when a route change causes a packet to end up going to a router that has no knowledge of how to get the packet to its destination. The router can (and does) drop that packet.

css-tricks.com/gallery/
Check it out!

Give me one reason why i should not use php for simple websites?

>simple = crud
most of sites are this type

Even though this design allows good scaling, routing is relatively computationally expensive, and layer 3 was mainly designed for communication between different organizations. In the original IPv4 spec, routes could only be processed by class, so the smallest possible route would be for 254 distinct IP addresses (the other options being 65,534 distinct addresses and 16,777,214 distinct addresses; not a lot of flexibility). This is because layer 3 was meant for traffic between separate organizations or between sites in a given organization. Layer 2 was intended for delivery within a local network.

Layer 2 was originally a complete shitshow that's not even worth going over because of a device we all take for complete granted today: the switch. Before the switch, layer 2 frames were basically blasted to huge numbers of computers, and each one was expected to check whether the frame was for them and then process it. Address Resolution Protocol and hardware switching allow switches to 'learn' which MAC addresses are associated with which interfaces and send frames to the correct interfaces *at wire speed*. Again, any given switch does not know whether the thing attached to any given interface is a single device, another switch with many devices behind it, or a router with connections to the global internet. And it doesn't matter; the switch's job is the same regardless.

Because PHP was a HTML templating engine that gradually got helper functions and features added to it in a haphazard manner to the point where people now consider it a language. It has a lot of gotchas and a very inconsistent API.

It'll never go away ebcause there's so much stuff written with it now. But for starting something new, there's no reason to choose it when there are plenty of better alternatives. There's Python, Ruby, .NET, Golang, Node.js... Yes even Javascript is better than PHP.

How does a platform like Instagram store billions of photos and hundreds being uploaded every second?

a small server farm can store all of it, no?

because using php hurts phpsadness.com/

wired.com/2014/06/facebook-instagram/
>Now, Instagram runs on its own dedicated machines inside the Facebook facility.
infoq.com/presentations/instagram-scale-infrastructure