Linux On Phones

So ive wanted to do this for awhile but I want to take a relatively decent android phone with a phusical keyboard and rape it with Linux as a main OS. Does anyone have any clue what would work the best?

PostmarketOS is a project based on Alpine Linux you should check it out

android is linux so I guesss every android is fine

If you want it to be actually useful, stick to Android or get a phone that's not made for Android.

>android is linux

>$ adb shell
>% uname
>Linux

After all Linux is just the kernel

But it's also an OS

Mindfuck

That's GNU/Linux

No, you don't need any GNU at all for have the Linux kernel running on a system with a CLI.
Like Linux kernel with BusyBox is an entire OS, as far as the definition of an OS goes. BusyBox is not a GNU utility.

No, Ubuntu is an OS
Ubuntu uses Linux
As the same way Android is an OS and uses Linux.

You are never using "Linux" per se.

Neither is part of the kernel though.
Kernel on its own doesn't have interface so it is pretty much useless.

A kernel is part of an operating system.
Linux is the kernel.
Linux is part of an operating system called GNU/Linux.

Linux kernel with it's drivers is still a kernel. You can have the whole Linux kernel compiled in a single binary with all the drivers and needed utilities, configurations. You can even have a shell implemented in it, without having even a basic root filesystem.

So yes, it's a kernel that's also an OS if you look at it that way. Obviously I know what you mean, technically you could do the same with any kernel. But a kernel itself is not an OS.

GNU has nothing to do with Linux or vice versa. A set of GNU utilities has been popular with Linux, but it's not needed, Linux can be functional without it.
Linux distros exist that don't have any GNU utilities in them.
GNU itself is a set of utilities, first made to be used with Hurd, GNUs own kernel.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

The problem is that there is not a way to name what Ubuntu, Android and Windows are. Is easier to just call them Operating Systems, although they aren't technically that.

Well, the technical term is Computer System (different from a kernel, or an Operating system). Ubuntu is also considered a Linux based Distribution.

Windows, OSX, Debian and Android are all Computing Systems, some of them use the Linux kernel.

Can you please tell me how can you use your Linux kernel without any userspace (being the GNU coreutils or busybox) to list the files in your current directory?

You don't need GNU for that, silly. There are shitloads of utilities that do the same thing as GNU utils do.
Also BusyBox is not "GNU" in the same sense when we talk about "GNU/Linux", it just uses the GNU licence.

Shut the fuck up, nobody calls it gnu/Linux in real life, neckbeard.

i used to run chrooted debian on droid 3, android 2.3 was still allowing to completely turn off zygote and other android display things so x11 could work directly to display. it wasn't native, but everything worked as it should

*Unix

God, you are an embarassment

test

test

>rape
Njoy ban fag

>Array.from(document.getElementsByTagName("a")).filter((a)=>{return a.title.startsWith("Reply")}).map((a)=>{return ">>"+a.innerHTML}).join(" ")

>found out I can dual-boot Android with Debian on the ADP1
>links are dead

Have fun getting banned for misreporting, fag

True. But you won't find any userspace tools on kernel source. So when you build it and run it you get a nice init missing panic.

Didn't know that. Mind explaining shortly?

more landscape keyboards

it can still be done; not sure what you mean no native but you can run it with no apps involved
among other interesting projects is the potential of having a distro alongside Android as it doesn't use FHS or even booting directly to a distro keeping main system intact

>we have low power x86
>we have cheaper than ever chink prototyping and assembly
How hard is it to make a phone that would function almost like a laptop in terms of the OS?

They should have made GPD Win with a slide out screen and build in modem. Would dual boot Winblows and Loonix on it.

nice. i've lost touch with the subject, but last time i tried it there was a problem with turning off android display thingies entirely on those 3d-accelerated versions of android (since jelly bean, i think). Of course i still have chroot debian mount on my modern android smartphone, but i use android app to display x11 on screen.

and what about wayland?
is it possible to make it run inside an existing android?