/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago (outdated - blame /csg/)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Samsung Galaxy Note8 review
gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note8-review-1659.php

Asus Zenfone V is official: 5.2" FullHD display, 23MP camera, Snapdragon 820
gsmarena.com/asus_zenfone_v_official_52_fullhd_display_23mp_camera_snapdragon_820-news-27311.php

Deal: Grab a 128GB Google Pixel for just $609.99, 128GB Pixel XL for only $649.99
gsmarena.com/deal_grab_a_128gb_google_pixel_for_just_60999_128gb_pixel_xl_for_only_64999-news-27303.php

Essential Phone gets certified, will now work on Verizon's network
phonearena.com/news/Essential-Phone-gets-certified-will-now-work-on-Verizons-network_id98142

iPhone X's A11 crushes top Android competition in Geekbench
gsmarena.com/a11_in_iphone_x_crushes_top_android_competition_in_geekbench-news-27302.php

Lenovo launches four new Android tablets
theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/9/15/16314108/lenovo-tab-4-new-android-tablets

Essential Phone will get a clip-on headphone jack
theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/9/14/16309196/essential-phone-headphone-jack-module-announced

LG V30 review
gsmarena.com/lg_v30-review-1657.php

old

Other urls found in this thread:

zdnet.com/pictures/can-a-4-inch-iphone-se-trump-these-seven-small-screen-smartphones/
youtube.com/watch?v=zNQM8Nb632Q
youtube.com/watch?v=_Kr1dnavjng
gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_xz1_compact-8610.php
youtu.be/IU08tnJH6bE
youtube.com/watch?v=R6p0Eg-yq3A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why the fuck is there no usable Android phone with a 4"-ish screen?

The iPhone SE would be ideal size-wise, but I'd like an Android. And *there.are.none.whatsoever*.

Why would you want such a small phone? There's a reason they don't make them

asked in previous thread, but only got one reply.

t-moble, usa.
~300usd budget
currently looking at honor 6x, and blu vivo 8 (got told to avoid blu)

also looking at honor 8, and le pro 3.

any other suggestions? also any expected budget phones to be released soon that it would be worth waiting for?

I've got small hands.
I've got small pockets.
I want a nimble phone that's easy to use single-handedly and fits into pockets without forcing it.
I bike everywhere, big phones are just in the way, difficult to handle while on the road.
...etc etc.

I had a Nokia C6-01 back in the day, it was 3.2" and bloody ideal. But I'd settle for 4". That's still a lot better than what's available. :/

Best place/site to by refurbished phones?

zdnet.com/pictures/can-a-4-inch-iphone-se-trump-these-seven-small-screen-smartphones/

Honor 8 or Moto G5+/G5S+.

More performance or stock android, choose whatever you prefer.

BLU has lied to their customers in the past and got caught again in regards to Chinese spyware in their phones, also I've experienced issues with my BLOX2 that couldn't be replicated on any other phone and they refused to acknowledge it, they're a headache to deal with, have shit specs, always a trade-off somewhere, and just not worth the price

LG V20 for $293 good?
Was thinking about getting the Moto Z Play which costs about the same.

I think I'm going to buy the Huawei p10.
Is this a good idea? If no can anyone recommend something better in the same price range?

Do you have toddler hands? My hands are pretty small and even 4.7-5.5" screens are manageable for me.

Still using my old phone from 2k14.
Snap 801/2Gb RAM/1920x1080 AMOLED + 960x540 Eink.

>4.7"
there are literally only 3 non-shit android models of this size on the market, two of them are from Sony.
At the same time there are dozen of phablets to choose from. Can't wait for this fad to end.

I'm still using my HTC one M8. Also just changed battery.

Same. Almost every phone now is 5.5 and above. I was holding out for the G5s plus instead of the previous model but they gave it a 5.5 screen instead of the 5.2 screen and now I don't know if I still want it...

As long as they're fitting bigger screens into smaller bodies, they're fine imo. The first time I held an S8 (with a case) it actually felt as comfortable to hold as my iPhone 7. The G6 felt the same. The V30 is a bit bigger but hopefully not insanely big like a Nexus 6 or 6P

The battery in YP2 is glued, hovewer, if u have heat gun - it's not hard to replace it. Hard work is to connect fucking back screen after you've changed battery - it have two wires (one for screen itself and one for two antennas - Qi and NFC.

youtube.com/watch?v=zNQM8Nb632Q

Does the OP5 still have that jelly problem on the screen?

it won't go anywhere because the screen is upside down and they use software to flip it rightway.

youtube.com/watch?v=_Kr1dnavjng

It's not battery replacing guide, but at least gives overview of design.

What are other known issues?

Fully agree. BLU can get fucked with the AIDS infested dick of a person with leprosy, and I wouldnt care.

Who #teampixel here?

Anyone with the XZ Premium care to share their thoughts?

My G4 Bricked, I'm getting a replacement in on monday but I think its time to move on from it.

Should I get a V30 or wait til the Pixel 2 is announced?

Which one did you have? The BLOX2 wasn't bad on paper, but the software was such shit, and I wasn't impressed with the SD430 it used
I can't believe Nokia put that shitty chip in their midrange

You should wait, but put priority on the Pixel 2. The V30's price is gonna drop by november

Recommendations for a smartphone up to 300 euro would be appreciated.

Is there anything for $40 or less with a good rom community that pushes out security patches in the US? I really only want something for google voice and 2fa I really don't care about a data connection but straight talk compatibility would be nice.
I would be willing to go over 40 and used but I just want something cheap and good quality.

Seconding this. I got a z3 compact that's still running well, and want to know what the more recent sony phones are like. That xz1 compact sounds really nice.

No, there is no normal phones for 40 bucks.
Just shit on Spreadtrum CPUs. If you lucky, you can get low-end Mediatek for same price. However, all these chinese shitty 30-40 bucks phones have no custom roms at all.

Any apps for nice simple digital clocks and date?
I want to separate the clock from the date for maximum customization.

What about used? I see nexus 4's for ~40 on ebay

Thoughts on the Zenfone 4 PRO?

Used is an option.

Jesus, save an extra hundred and get something better ffs

is it really worth upgrading the last cm stable from 2014 to the latest lineage nightly, or is it too bugged for daily use?

I'm going to wait, I've had my G4 since launch so I can be patient.
I just really want something new.

>under 350$
>5.2 inch screen max, preferably 4.7 - 5
>not Moto G because the current gen is so ugly it's unacceptable
>can wait another month or two
what are my options?

I think the XZ1 Compact is that?

gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_xz1_compact-8610.php

I'm looking at picking one up too. Supposed to be released around October or so. Liking small phones is suffering these days.

So I'm using google messages and often times I don't get notified when I get a text, at first it happened rarely, now i almost never get a notification, I don't know I got a text until I open the app. And now snapchat is doing it too where I won't get notifications most of the time. Problem is continuously getting worse. Tried googling it but none of the so called solutions work for me.

ZTE ZMAX Pro running Android 6.0.1

How important is rooting your phone?
The phone I'm thinking of getting doesn't really benefit from custom roms as it loses one of the key features of the phone and is unable to revert back to stock rom, rooting is also a real hassle.

>have google fi
>have nexus 5x, got it right as I came out
>5x has known bootloop issues but mine hasn't yet
>day after day waiting for Google to announce their midrange phone but no word yet

I'm thinking of moving off of Fi and onto T-Mobile, or something similar. As much as I love the idea of Fi's "pay as you go", there's just too many downsides.

If I switch to T-Mobile, what phone should I get? I'm looking for a great midrange phone, maybe a moto G5

What's the consensus on the Zenfone 3? As far as I can tell it has similar specs at a similar price range as the Moto g5 plus, but the latter is praised a fuckton and you hardly hear anything about the former.

you think xz1 compact is under 350$?

Bumping cause same situation here, though my phone already bootlooped so looking for a replacement and can't be fucked to pay for a pixel

Leeco le max with snapdragon 820 or xiaomi redmi 4 with snapdragon 625?

Read that as $450, whoops. The X compact should be around $350 though.

Huawei Honor 8
Xperia X
HTC 10

>g4 just bootlooped
>locked out of all my accounts because of 2FA
>lg wont repair it because its out of warranty

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE WHAT THE FUCK WHAT DO I DO

Do you value specs over battery life? LeEco
Do you value battery life most? Redmi 4

Is Meizu rom good? I was thinking about getting meizu note m6

Move on. Never go back to LG

next time be smart enough to actually write down your recovery codes

So nokia 8 it is?

Current provider: Republic Wireless (I know, but it's cheap)
Wanted features: OLED/AMOLED screen, Android 7.0 or higher, fingerprint scanner (maybe), 5.7 inch screen, good camera, 1440p screen, good shelf life
Budget: $300-500

sure

i will be waiting for it to get oreo though

Note 8 root for Exynos devices is out. Works fine here.

Thank fuck because Samsung smart switch is rubbish, and I transferring data from a Note 3

got an iphone SE for $220 off contract after my oneplus X died, its a great phone for cheap

Why would you get rom when it already have pure android?

HTC 10 or Samsung A5 (2017)

Looking for a recommendation for a slim S8 case. So far I've used the Ringke Fusion, the Bear Motion slim, and on the less slim side of things, the Caseology Legion and the Otterbox Commuter.

youtu.be/IU08tnJH6bE

In real life how much does processor performance matter?
eg Snap 820 vs 835.
Would paying for the better processor really matter when Im doing normie things?

if normie things is playing spec heavy games then yes i guess.

what else can you do that is performance heavy?

get something THICC, one drop and your phone is fucked.

If you don't game on your phone get snapdragon 6xx processor for better battery life.

I take photos, a lot. Don't play games much. Snapchat, the typical social media. I may stream once in awhile. But the the most processor intensive task would have to be HDR photos.

Phone with decent battery and able to play games like payzard's hearthstone around 300-400$ ?

Mine was perfect until like 4 months ago battery got autism and started doing weird shjt

Yeah you need to change it. It's end of the line for your battery. My phone was shutting down when there was 20-30% left. Now with new battery everything is working again.

I would but my phone got another problem the USB connector is messed up and the cable unplugs as soon as you move it a bit

I usually switch up my phone case depending on what I want in my hand that day. I have the Commuter for that, and to a (I assume) lesser extent, the Legion.

>USB connector is messed up and the cable unplugs as soon as you move it a bit
It's probably full of dust etc.dirt. Get some tooth pick or something similar and clean it up.

youtube.com/watch?v=R6p0Eg-yq3A

>USB connector is messed up and the cable unplugs as soon as you move it a bit

It's just full of dust from your pockets etc. clean it up with a needle and you are good to go.

I'll try tomorrow thanks bro

Only used the XZ Premium briefly as I was upgrading my LG G3 to a V20.

The XZ Premium has huge bezels at a screen size thats the same as the G3. Rediculous if you ask me. There is no Timeshift burst mode on the camera. Otherwise it feels like an Xperia flagship phone. Can't contriubute too much to a review here.

Be more specific about stuff you care about in a smartphone. Otherwise any will probably do.

The amount of ram is more important.

You'll see bigger gains with 4+ gb RAM vs 3gb with a tier higher CPU for the most part.

Bump

Using it right now, and can't get it to replicate. If it's happening, I'm not noticing it.

i'm in progress of doing research about whether i should go for sd625 or sd820 and as far as i see, sd625 is more than enough to run games. it runs real racing and other larger things without problems.

if my motorola droid 3 with one of first dual-cores in smartphones and 512mb of ram was able to run gta3/psx/light psp games, eight small-core sd625 should have more than enough juice to bring me some fun on boring lectures. although if you have a good example of game/emu where sd625 isn't enough, i'd love to hear about it

How much longer?

I think someone said GameCube was a bit of an issue on anything under a SD820

i have an iphone 4. it does not run much these days.

What's the difference between the iPhone X and the iPhone 8 other than the hideous screen on the X?

iphone 8 has touchID still

debating whether I should buy a nokia 5 or 8. quite the price difference and i don't play games.

what the hell can i do with 8 that 5 can't

Pulled the trigger on a LG V20
Did I dun goofed?

b o o t l o o p
o
o
t
l
o
o
p

The same reason they don't make them is the same reason why people watch reaction videos on youtube, because most people aren't stupid and don't actually care about stuff. The main smartphone market wants phones that look cool, that are shiny, ect. Actual performance isn't something that people who buy smartphones actually cares about.

You know why smaller phones are great? Because you can use them with a friggin single hand. Sure typing might be harder, but other than that there are literally no downsides to a phone being smaller.

There is also a reason why apple still makes a small phone, because they actually build their shit for quality, and they know that there are people out there who don't give a fuck about flashy 6" 4k screens, and that some people really care more about convenience, battery life, and practicality.

I am far from the biggest fan of IOS, its really stupid, unintuitive, and conventions from one stock app differ from the next, which is pretty cancer on a phone with only a home button. What apple does get right though is hardware. The iphones battery life is beyond compare, the camera is better than 90% of all other phones on the market, the screen has probably the best color reproduction out there despite not being current gen, and so on. Apple knows that there are people out there who like small phones, and the SE is the only small phone in the world that is even comparable to the flagships. All other android small phones are hot garbage in comparison and apple pretty much just has a monopoly on the market.

Also small phones are never going to die either, the SE will probably get phased out in the next 5 years even if its not called the "SE" at that point. But the small phone will 100% live on, just in the smart watch market. I wouldn't be surprised as the last small phones die off, if smart watches start getting bigger and bigger. I mean shit apple is already putting cellular in their watch.

8 has usb type C and flagship camera memes

Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact

I just got my phone last week literally and today I got a text with a twitter verification code but I dont have twitter has anyone else had this problem?