Why are computers able to store 100000000000000000000000000 but not pie

Why are computers able to store 100000000000000000000000000 but not pie
?

the smaller the number the less space it takes up, so computers should be able to easily store rational numbers like pie.

yes

const int pi = 3;

done.

Pi isn't a number, it's an algorithm

Storage is not the issue, it's finding the exact number. This is dumb.

pie is a ratio, ratios can be represented by numbers

3/1 = 3

pie/1 = pie

a ratio which is impossible to calculate the value of without an algorithm

They can. Write Pi down on some paper and mail it to me. I'll put it in the computers.

>filename
I'm genuinely mad

pie is a transcendental number that cannot be represented exactly in number systems including binary, so you in theory you need infinite storage to store it exactly which is impossible, most numbers are transcendental btw, integers and rational numbers are the exception and even some perfectly represented rational number in decimal cannot be exactly represented in binary like 1/10 and 1/3 for example

>t. engineer

from math import pi

engineer would be

pi = 4

>when math.pi is too complicated, so you need to dumb it down for the brainlets

This is the laziest bate I've ever seen, the fact that people are responding seriously suggests Sup Forums has an average IQ of 70

>cannot be represented exactly in number systems
It can be, in base π

Cringe

You don't even know the answer. If you knew the answer you would just post it. xD

from math import pi as pie

fix'd

My goodness, half this thread is just retarded

You guys are all fucking stupid. All a computer needs to store is Chudnovsky algorithm in pic related. Then just put that through a calculator and specify to what accuracy you want it to (AVX-512, FP16, FP64, ect).

fgt

see

This

You're wrong, it's limited by the precision of the computer

3.14 isn't the exact ratio, you need an algo

does the CPU support that algo? at which depth of precision?

Thank you for the question unfortunately nobody read it through to the end except me. pi is not rational.

read this

Hello brainlet.

>cannot be represented exactly in number systems
It can. π is an exact representation. Just as 1/3 is an exact representation.

>most numbers are transcendental btw
It's not even wrong. It just makes no sense. There is an infinite amount of non-transcendental numbers between any two arbitrary transcendental numbers. Just as the other way round.

>even some perfectly represented rational number in decimal cannot be exactly represented in binary like 1/10 and 1/3 for example
1/10 and 1/3 are representations. You can do the same in binary. 1/1010 and 1/11.

>number systems
do you even what that means?
can you represent pi exactly using decimal number system or any other integer base?

> It's not even wrong. It just makes no sense
you are right, infinite cannot be less than other infinite, but it's still the exception along the infinite spectrum of numbers
> 1/10
I meant (1/10) can be represented exactly in decimal (0.1)dec, but it's irrational when you represnet it in number system with base 2 aka binary, it will be something like (0.11001101.....)bin

>rational numbers like pie.

Pi is not rational... Unless you mean this engineer would be
pi = 10

t. engineer

always need a "risk-factor" in the calculations. And it's easier to do in the head when all the numbers are multiples of 10.

ITT Sup Forums shows its true colors: uneducated NEETs

My computer still has a drawer to hold mini pizzas, does that count?

>integer base
why limit it to integers?
pi is exactly 10 in base pi.

But user, computers can store pi

Here it is stored in a png

How would you express any integer in base pi, let alone any other transcendental number?

The same way you would express pi in any integer base

Well I guess you can have base pi since the only number that can't be a base is 0, but it wouldn't be very useful really. Also, that would only apply to the integers -3,-2,-1 (since they're greater than minus pi) and 0,1,2 and 3 (since they're less than positive pi)

>infinite cannot be less than other infinite

do you even transfinite numbers?

data MyNumbers = Just Int | Pi

>rational numbers
>like pie
found your issue

>yooler.jpg

pi is not a rational number, it's the archetypal irrational number.

also it's amazing that computers can even do math, as they barely represent numbers to begin with. just makes you realise that we don't need a lot of precision to get certain "human scale" calculations to work properly.

> infinite cannot be less than other infinite
What are countable and uncountable infinities?

>most numbers are transcendental
no

Infinity+1 = infinity, so yes, infinite cannot be less than another infinite.

>store rational numbers like pie
>rational numbers
>pie
This thread is bait

>rational numbers like pie.
dumbass

why don't we have computers calculate pi eternally as their base process, then do all processes off that?

that fo>I would prefer to write math.pi hundreds of times in my program, instead of pi
I commend you for wearing your autism like a badge of honor

isnt that what the rasberry pie computers do

Someone make this thread interesting an shove a pie in their computer.

I don't need these faggy math equations, I can just monty carlo it.

Because it's an irrational number.

4gb on a drive is heavier than Pigb though

no, they work like normal computers, just smaller. the name comes from the inventors love for raspberry pie, has nothing to do with pi.

kek

const double pi = 22.0 / 7.0; // close enough