Installing Arch, dual boot

Could someone help me get started with installing Arch? I've got a laptop with windows 10 already installed and I want to duel-boot them, but I dont know exactly how to partition. Currently W10 fills the entire SSD.

Most guides just shows how to install Arch as the only OS, not having both W10 and Arch.

I just want help now in the beginning then I'll advance on my own.

Other urls found in this thread:

manjaro.org/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dual_boot_with_Windows
partition-tool.com/resource/windows-10-partition-manager/resize-partition-windows-10.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=METZCp_JCec
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Just install Ubuntu instead, you're clearly not ready for Arch.

True, I've never had a linux-system but Arch seems smooth having precise control over your system and it'll be a good learning experience.

read the wiki

Yep

Install Mint. It dual-boots fine.

I did this. Basically instead of creating a new boot partition, you use the one already created by Windows 10, and you mount that partition on mnt/boot

This is for uefi

You don't want precise control, you want it to work so that you can use it and learn the basics.

Also don't dual boot like a pussy, you'll just stick to using Windows because its safe and comfortable and all your stuff is already there... Format that sucker and use Linux as your primary OS.

You're probably right, I dont see why I should keep windows. Maybe if I wanna play some games, or is linux fine for that?

Just do a minimal install of Ubuntu or Debian. Only choose to install the standard system utilities during the installation.

>help me get started

You probably don't know how to do it and will end up trashing your windows installation or something.

Pick something with a GUI installer like Ubuntu/Mint for the time being.

depends what you want to play but it's not going to be as good as windows.

although imo you tend to want to play less games the better you get with tech.

Which games do you want to play? I haven't come across a (pc) game worth playing without a Linux version on steam.

Please clarify, does mounting boot on the windows boot drive work or not work on UEFI?

Ignoring the dual-booting question.

You need to know if you have a UEFI motherboard. If you do you have to use a gpt partition scheme. Otherwise I'd recommend msdos.

Use Grub for the bios and read the whole wiki page. Make sure you make the config after install.

For the partition scheme have a 2mb vfat partition at the start for Grub, make a swap file roughly twice the size of the amount of installed RAM and turn it on. Keep the rest as one large partition and format it to EXT4.

Mount *both* /mnt and /mnt/boot to your EXT4 partition.

If this is too hard for you use manjaro or debian.

>never had a linux system
>goes straight to arch
>WINNING OP

To be fair I've already got a desktop gaming pc-at home, and the laptop is for school/studing/programming so I probably dont really have any need of windows. and I could always install w10 from scratch if I need.

Don't install Linux on the same ssd as Windows 10, because if Windows has a major update partitions might be added or removed by Microsoft in accordance with the update, and this can break your Linux partition. Either erase Windows or put the two on separate drives.

Cant be a pussy

The hardest part for you will be partitioning the drives without destroying your windows and configuring grub to recognize windows and boot properly. The first is easy if you get a graphical partitioning software on a live cd (I installed arch using an Ubuntu installation disk). The second is a little trickier. About half the time, GRUB will notice windows and know what you need. If that doesn't work, you'll be chin deep in bullshit, you'll have to write your own start scripts. Lucky for you, you're not the first one to have this problem.

Damn, really good to know. Leaning towards just deleting windows then.

Look just go to the wiki man. If you want to use Arch you will need to get used to go and get information. It's all clarified in the wiki.

Since you're a linux n00b why don't you use a graphical arch installer? revenge is a good one (skips all the command line fun stuff since you a wincuck)

I'm actually not op. I have an arch machine that I dual booted, but I went backwards, put Linux first then windows because grub couldn't recognize windows. I could have saved myself a lot of trouble if I had known that you could use the windows boot partition as the Linux boot partition.

If you want a distro that's based on Arch, but is far more user friendly, I recommend looking into Manjaro. manjaro.org/

>le learning meme

I didn't use grub but the way I understand it, and bear in mind that this could be wrong, is that your bootloader will read the partitions in your efi partition (on UEFI) and present those options. My point is that it shouldn't matter in what order you install the OS's.

If onyl there ways a website that shoed you how to isntall windows and linux in a dual boot
HOLY FUCKING SHIT
THERE IS?@?
WHAT THE DAMN HELL KID
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dual_boot_with_Windows

I prefer arch but I think Manjaro is quite good

whenever you dual boot with winshit, ALWAYS make sure winshit is your primary boot OS on the partition, THEN install linux alongside it

This. If you don't know how partitioning works, either read up or install Ubuntu

>duel-boot

>wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dual_boot_with_Windows
Already read it

>The recommended way to setup a Linux/Windows dual booting system is to first install Windows, only using part of the disk for its partitions.

Since Windows came preinstalled I didnt have the chance to create my own partitions and only use part of the disk. Currently the full disk is used for W10.

You can resize the partitions you nonce

Through the arch installer?

I've tried resizing from windows before but I litterally installed 20+ programs and none of them made it work. (didnt work with standard windows-shit either)

you are so a damn noob god dammit, go and google gparted right now

Google: 'how to resize partition in windows 10'
First Result: partition-tool.com/resource/windows-10-partition-manager/resize-partition-windows-10.htm
Answer: 'Yes. Windows 10 built-in Disk Management has the ability to shrink volume and extend volume. Just right click on "My Computer", choose "Manage", and you will get a popup window, choose "Disk Management" in left navigation bar. And then, your hard disk condition will show as follow.'

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Ok, I'll give it a try but a while back I tried to do the same and I followed exactly those steps and sure as hell it didnt work (hence installing 20+ programs trying to make it work).

What do you guys use to make partitions in the arch installer? I feel like the most simple is cfdisk. Do you guys use this or do you use something like parted?

Dualboot is for loosers.

`parted -a optimal /dev/sda`

fdisk

I installed arch as my first distro for the same reasons you seem to want to do it. If you like learning by pain, it's "fun". If you actually need to use your computer for anything, don't do this. If messing up the dual boot setup and accidentally killing windows on your machine fucks you, don't do this.

i open the hard drive and do it manually

if this is where you are stuck you are in for a hell of a ride

kek

Easy mode if you just want to split partitions: download Ubuntu image and install it using "Install Ubuntu alongside them." It will make a new partition for Ubuntu which you can resize (there is a slider iirc,) and continue with the install and then install Arch over it

fuck meme linux, get void linux instead.

Installing arch is easy you literally just follow the steps on the wiki.

I dual booted arch with w10 efi here is a copy and past of the command lines I used (and saved)

# mount efi partition (sda2 is the windows efi partition)
mkdir -p /mnt/boot/efi
mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/boot/efi

Used source:
youtube.com/watch?v=METZCp_JCec

It's a shity source but worked for me.

i went in completely blind first time and fucked most shit up, worked fine until i updated it, then i re-installed arch and shit seems to be going good

>being a gaymer
baka. If you insist, most gaems on steam are becoming more and more Linux friendly, so you shouldnt run into too many problems with dependencies. You should already have WINE installed regardless, just in case you come across that one finnicky bugger.

When in doubt, just run the latest version of Wangblows in a VM and you should be alright. the performance drop is nanoscopic to say the least. Whatever performance drop you experience from most games that you play without a VM, just double that if you expect to run them in a VM
Zero drop -> minimal drop
minimal drop -> noticeable drop
noticeable drop -> shit tier drop
shit tier drop -> get a better system. period.

I'm in the same boat as OP.
Yesterday I tried to install Arch in dual-boot along W10.

I read the wiki which has been helping and confusing at the same time.

I've tried to installs already and it didn't work corectly.

I think it has something to do with me trying to install Arch on my HDD which is DOS type and not GPT. But my system is UEFI.

I'll try again tomorrow :)

Stop falling for the meme, if you like Arch go instead for Antergos, is based on Arch and has an installer. Come back to Arch when you have more experience.

I guess I did fall for the meme.
The idea to install only what is needed was just very appealing.

Alright, I'll take your advice and what Antergos is about

>good learning experience
No. If you really want to learn, install Slackware or Gentoo.

Shrink the Windows 10 partition and make a ext4 one for arch and a small swap partition