/pcbg/ - PC Building general

if you want help:
>Assemble parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560 - poverty-tier builds
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R5 1400 - If you need multithreading
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use, not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>VEGA
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 or Vega 56 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM, 3200 MHz is ideal

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.co.uk/dp/B013J7HO8G/
youtube.com/watch?v=MTDVQjUrgKM
phanteks.com/Enthoo-Evolv-mATX-TemperedGlass.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Dailys REMINDERS RYPOO IS SHITTY

>got sniped again

Just fucking kill me.

Which one is better /pcbg/? My use: I'm not going to be pushing much with them, a r3 1200 and a 1050 (maybe 570) at most. Nothing fancy like lighting, rgb or extra fans.

forget to mention I have both laying around, the cooler master is beat to hell and a few years old while the evga is in good condition

To be fair the devs can't make up their mind

They say "moar cores/threads" which Ryzen gives in spades then turn around and show videos on OC'd i5s pushing 100% usage.

What emulators say "moar cores/threads"? I haven't really been following the scene much, but last I heard single-core performance is what always mattered the most in emulation.

I'm looking to upgrade my storage. What's the current market for SSDs like? Should I get a 1TB one, or is that stupid right now?

the evga one, plus its a single rail design

>mfw gpu prices

i've been checking different local stores where i live, and in one they sell:
AMD RYZEN 7 1700 for 367 usd, and the Ryzen 7 1700x for 400 usd. Is it worth getting the 1700x considering the price difference?
Hell, in some places the 1700x is at 490 usd, with that difference of cash i could get a decent cpu cooler.

>flannel shirt
>concerned with video games
>city dweller
man child detected

is 120hz the perfect setting for a monitor? divides 24,30, & 60fps evenly.

you should wait for intel coffee lake
5th october
even if you are still going for amd, its likely the prices will drop

with 1700x vs 1700, its about overclocking
1700x gives you some extra hz without the need for OC
and you should know that ryzen in windows does not downclock for most mobos, so if you OC to 3.9 it stays at that frequency at idle
though what should be also said that I have wattmeter and when I oced there was no obvious difference between idle on OC and idle on stock, nor temps didnt look any different. Its kinda strange. When I have gpu that does not downclock its temps are 20°C higher...

anyway I am on linux and there it seems to downclock no problem, dunno whats up with that.

I gave up and bought a GTX 1060. Fuck Canadian market, cannot find any Radeon cards for decent price. Even the RX 550 is overpriced.

To add on to this, I never did get the hang of hard disc brands/types. What's a good 3/4TB HDD? I'll probably buy two and RAID-1 them for some proper redundancy - after years of avoiding drive failure, I figure I've stretched my luck far enough.

I've only had WD Green die on me after 4 straight years of 16 hrs a day while serving as a boot drive and everything else.

Use the PC part picker thing that lets you see $/mb

>What's the current market for SSDs like? Should I get a 1TB one, or is that stupid right now?
heard the prices will go up and there will be shortage
from kingston representative, two weeks ago
already felt the rice of ssd prices and lack of availability this year compared to previous ones where they were just dropping
mostly its about millions of consumer notebooks and PCs going for ssds while no new nand factories were build

so yeah, buy some I would say

as for ssd I personally had good experience with WD Reds, I like that the most because they are relatively cheap and very quiet, had few others in my case...
but reliability wise, backblaze stats tell use hitachi - hgst is the way to go
hms5c4040ale640
hms5c4040ble640

Rehoused my shitbox.

>WD Green
I've heard that green is bad for some reason. I'd love a quick rundown on everything.

Cheapest option I can see is a Toshiba P300 at £70 for 3TB, while everything else is £80+. Meanwhile 4TB starts from £100 for some reason, despite the gaps between 1, 2, and 3TB being like £10 at most.

as for ssd I personally had good experience with WD Reds,
I assume you meant HDDs.
Thanks for the tips though, I'll keep that in mind

I've been looking at SanDisk 1 tb SSD, as well as m.2 storage. I have a 250 gig boot ssd with some games on it, and a 500 gig ssd with a bunch more games on it, but I think I need to add a 1 tb SSD and get rid of the 1 tb HDD that I haven't used at all

>larger than microATX
in to the trash it goes

Wat?
The majority of people here buy Sata III NAND SSD's, the influx to notebooks are almost all going to m.2, since for gaming you won't notice a difference. Desktop SSD's are still fine, in fact the Samsung 850 Evo's have been dropping in price, you can find a 500gb one for 149 on newegg as we speak though it was 139 a few weeks ago. Is there more sauce to that claim than a rep from Kingston?

It is a SMALL full-ATX case. That's an ITX board in there. This is the previous shitbox.

>See Americans with "cheap" builds
>Even get based rebates
>Change price to GBP
>About 70% of the parts are unavailable
>The 30% that are available cost more than the whole American build
>No based rebates
>Finally make meme build
>Comes to £700
>Only £550 in America

Why do we get JUSTed?

How's Brexit working out for you?

Haven't left yet. But desu I would rather pay £1500 for the same build if it meant not being in the EU.

form factor or connection type or whatever makes zero difference
and I am from europe, so it might be bit different here
but where I work we were selling cheap 120GB for around 55€ to end consumer at the beggining of the year, now its 68€ though there was slight drop few weeks back before it again went up

kingston guy might have been bullshiting but who knows, I just really doubt that if user buys now ssd the prices would be significantly better in few months, though with large cappacities... who knows

also btw, dunno how its in US but g4560 is completely gone from the market and sold out for like 4 months now...

also this triggers me all the time
>The majority of people here buy Sata III NAND SSD's, the influx to notebooks are almost all going to m.2, since for gaming you won't notice a difference.
jesus fuck how I hate that people still cant wrap their heads around sata, m.2, nvme, and generationional differences between SSDs
>m.2
is just a connector, it can have same speeds as sata or not but its just a fucking connector
>nvme
is a protocol, but its associated with pcie express lanes that provide that huge speeds
but I fucking hate people talking how they wont notice it... yes, its for sequential bullshit, but faggots talk about samsung 960 evo vs 850 evo and they somehow completely ignore that differences are not just nvme but generational improvement in 50% increase in random reads... jesus fuck

good case without bullshit?

Fortress 2 (FT02B)

enthoo evolv

WD is fucking gay. Can I trust Toshiba?
amazon.co.uk/dp/B013J7HO8G/

Also are "NAS drives" a meme? Like I said I wanna RAID 2 of them. I assume literally any drive should work perfectly fine for that, right?

>no bullshit
>RGB ON THE CASE
loling @ ur life

Factal Design R5, or if you like glass, Meshify C.

>RGB ON THE CASE
where?

too expensive

pro m seems decent

Ah nice, thanks! Not much worse than WD, then.

youtube.com/watch?v=MTDVQjUrgKM

is it true? do they cost $5 for unlimited storage?

phanteks.com/Enthoo-Evolv-mATX-TemperedGlass.html

be careful though, dont generalize, check the model numbers
for example table like that could have only enterprise seagate drives and you would never ever know that seagate has models with some 18% failure rates...
backblaze test are amazing but only if you stick to the model numbers or at least close to the product line

huh, didnt know, alright, I guess its RGB when the single on light can change color if you have mobo that can control that

if you must ask, just press play again

yeah, I am on their site now, its quite amazing
how can anyone else compete?

tfw the s340's power button is only one color so sleep mode is either blink or "dual color" in the bios, fortunately the latter just shuts it off entirely

>how can anyone else compete?

That's the beauty of a (((monopoly))).

That's the beauty of pretty little lies

If every customer were to fully utilize their service, the cost would not cover it.
They prey on customers who think they're getting a deal to accommodate the few really pushing their service.

help me upgrade, dota2 and programming android studio, visual studio

is this your current build or one you're planning?

I did quick read on /r/sysadmin and they like it there except you have no control over how long they keep the data, its just 30 days.
so its seems like some sync service for that $5

for actual long storage they have B2 and it seems also very nicely priced
first 10GB free, then its few cents per GB and some for download which is rare usually

as for monopoly claim, lol, theres so many cloud storage services you lose track pretty quickly

current.

get a monitor then

i have a 4k monitor already.

that did not seem like plural, get a second one

Hows Islam working out for you

Yeah and that's gay too, those particular hitachi drives seem impossible to get in the UK.

Anyway I guess the point of getting a RAID is to make things more reliable so I'll probably just go with the Toshiba.

Bought the 1700x on impulse, it's much snappier than my original xeons, but I probably needed more real cores.

Threadripper takes too much power and creates too much heat though...

what's the cheapest video card i can stick in this thing that would let me watch youtube videos in 1080p at a bearable fps?

GT1030 has 4K hardware decoding and HDMI 2.0

>Threadripper takes too much power and creates too much heat though...

You're thinking of i9. Threadripper is actually fairly low power consumption and heat considering it has 16 cores. 7900x consumes more power and runs hotter than 1950x and it's just 10 cores. I'm really curious to see how big of a housefire the 18 core will be.

>minimalist niggers
>muh black featureless case
kill yourselves grannies
or get a time machine and go back to 2005

>gay
>gay
>gay

how fucking old are you, 12?

gotta go cheaper
this thing is too much of a shitbox to warrant a $70 purchase

>be on Sup Forums
>complain about homosexuality being used as an insult
You do realise this is the website where everyone calls everyone a fag?

>Insult
back to /b ya go kid.

are DDR4 prices ever going to be reasonable again or what? How long till custom VEGA? Should I just try and read power consumption stats from the mesh network to find miners so I can kill them and steal their hardware?

the only thing I hate about the s340 is the weight

I can say after the fact I could have probably downsized AND gotten something a bit smaller

>Should I just try and read power consumption stats from the mesh network to find miners so I can kill them and steal their hardware?
I mean you should definitely do that to get rid of miners, but it's not worth doing it just for the hardware - their cards will be all stressed and used-out. You really don't want to be using second-hand miner hardware, unless you have enough spares that you don't care if it randomly fails on you or something.

180w is not low power consumption, I just couldn't justify the price and the expensive special cooler I'd need to cover the whole package on the threadripper, power is expensive here.

The 1700x gave me more cores for 10w more tdp over my original cpu, which was a deal, the threadripper, not as much.

What are some great mini itx cases?
I want Sup Forums opinion.

>mini itx
But why?

Need some input on repurposing an old PC. My dad needs a computer so I thought I'd give him an old one. It's got an ATX mobo, HDD, RAM, and an FX 8320 w/ stock cooler, all in a full tower case. Several problems
>case is too big, he needs something smaller that could sit atop his desk
>it's noisy af, I'm thinking of getting a 212 EVO for it but IDK if I should get any case fans too, depends on case I guess
>currently doesn't have a GPU. He doesn't need something as strong as a 1050ti but I'm sure he'd like something that could handle the profile=opengl-hq setting in mpv at the lowest

So any advice on a good budget case that's small or GPU that's cheaper than $100 but not complete ass?

I want to try something new.

Understandable, have a good build.

I was recommended the cryorig h7 for OCing and just generally for my aging intel cpu. Was wondering if there is a difference between the $35 and $60 versions on newegg. I think the more expensive one has one extra heat pipe, but not sure how much of a difference that makes. Am I ok just getting the cheaper one with way more reviews?

FOR THE user LIKE TWO DAYS AGO
These are all the instructions that are enabled using windows 7. I'm also using the github patch to stay up to date with the w7 updates as long as they're out. No issues but I'm running at 39.5 because my bin is kind of shitty. I might RMA because I have the early adopter segfault issue, and there's a chance of getting a better bin for free.

The $60 Quad Lumi version has an extra heat pipe, but the big deal there is the RGB lighting.
The $35 one should work just as well though, for the most part.

I want a CPU that gives me amazing emulation capablity but alos won't be outdated in a year or two for other uses. which CPU is it?

When the fuck is Vega coming back in stock? I don't mind paying a premium at this point, I just want a non-reference card but there's zero available.

1030, swap the case for a Define R4, and get an SSD.

Thoughts on 1030 vs 550?

VIA

is it really worth the hit to single threaded performnace in reguards to emulation compaired to the 1600? are i5's really not worth it?

There's literally nothing the Ryzen processors won't emulate as well as the 7700k outside of BotW on Cemu. But even then you're talking about single frame differences that's mainly due to the application itself and not the processor. Don't worry about emulator performance unless you're getting a really cheap processor.

i5's are generally not worth it these days, with 1600s performing very similarly in single threaded perf but having drastically more multithreaded perf.

But, if you absolutely need moar single thread you should be buying a 6700k, 7700k, or maybe the 8700k if it doesn't shit up the intel bingbus method of keeping latency down. Really, the 7700k might be the last low latency single threaded chip intel releases if they fully transition to mesh.

I don't think any custom cards have been released yet.

You both have some really good points. thanks. I'm amazed how nice and informed you guys are on Sup Forums. keep it up friends.

Do emulators support cores yet?

I'm not aware of many emulators that make use of multiple cores, some use up to four but even then most are single thread bound. As long as your chip reaches close 4ghz you really don't need to worry too much and wouldn't you know it that's about what most Ryzen reach.

So the 35 one will do fine for OCing? RGB on a fan isn't important to me at all.

Are we going to reach a point where emulator devs are forced to stop being shits and use more then the 1st core due to stagnation/slow growth of single core performance?

Probably not, and it's not like they all use a single core but truthfully the work fine for the most part. As much shit as PCSX2 gets it plays 99% of games just fine and stuff like Dolphin works amazing. PPSSPP is also amazing and most older systems have a variety of emulators available to suit your needs. Only real demanding ones right now are Cemu and RPCS3 but those are pretty early in development so having the most powerful processor in the world wouldn't make those games suddenly play okay.

>Are we going to reach a point where emulator devs are forced to stop being shits and use more then the 1st core due to stagnation/slow growth of single core performance?
the nature of emulation requires them to have a heavy single thread, as that's generally how most console chips function except for the ps3 which was the definition of too multicored to program easily for, which is why its emulator is slightly multicored.

So I want to make a gaming rig for destiny 2. As a "grown up" gamer that wants to get back in after not really playing games anymore. I want to buy a 1080ti and I need to figure out what kind of monitor+rest of computer I should buy to pair it with. I think a 21/9 would be a better option than a 4k.
So what do I need?

What's your budget?

>gaming rig for destiny 2
Don't bother, it's not that good.

I actually don't have one. I'm cheap as fuck though so I'm looking for best dollar for dollar that has a 1080ti and plays destiny 2. So maybe 4k after monitor? I don't want to spend that much.