/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Strap Guide: pastebin.com/SwRysprE
>Watch Essentials 102: pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous thread:

Watch you're back niggers. NSA is watching.

Cool for the show, but not practical at all.
>Having 1/1000 of a second in a HANDHELD MECHANICAL CHRONOGRAPH.

I've recently became fascinated with flat-earth theory. I don't believe any of it, of course, but the whole lunacy is just fascinating.

So there are many ways to prove the roundness, rotation and orbit of the Earth but what are the ways to prove it through horology? I already know about the Focault Pendulum, and the solving of the longitude problem with chronometers, but what else? Like maybe some big clocks are affected by Earth's rotation or something?

The rate of a very precise pendulum clock can be seen to change based on the position of the moon due to how it changes the net force of gravity

Not traditional horology, but the atomic clocks in GPS satellites need to account for general relativistic corrections in order for GPS to have a functional level of accuracy. I have no idea how flat earthers even reconcile orbits, I'm sure whatever they come up with would explain why you would need to correct for that.

Heck, I don't see how flat earthers could explain the affect of centrifugal acceleration on weight and the effective direction of gravity at different longitudes. I guess if they constructed a really funky density profile for the earth, but that would be very clearly disproven by minerology. Also, the frequency of very precise pendulum clocks would be slightly different due to centrifugal acceleration.

If you count sundials as horology you could use them to demonstrate plenty of things about the curvature of the earth and our orbit.

wruw?

Just look up chink brands like seagull, parnis, fanmis, carnival, and keep the price low

I personally prefer the "moon phase" or some kind of date/time if I want a busier watch over an open heart.

>saved about $5k
>could put in high rate of return investment
>pay off a small percentage of my student loan
>buy a watch
What do /wt/? Also anything you can recommend for $5k? The submariners seems to go for $7500+ taxes.

any suggestions on nice crocodile leather straps with a deployment? probably for like a 17-18mm

Pay off loans first faggot.

My loan is literally 550k and I haven't made a dent into it since I started working 2 years ago(55k/yr)...

Blue dial looks nice.

>My loan is literally 550k
What a fucking sham.

Here's how I plan on paying it off:

>live with mum until I am 35 or 10 years from now
>help with chores and payments for things
>put 100% of paycheck into loan
For some reason it is still at 550k, I've been paying like 2.5k a month wtf.

I've got about triple you and I've been considering buying something in the 3-5k range. But I just can't justify pic related yet.
Also I've been making a bit extra on cryptos and now deciding whether to blow that cash on the above or an El Primero

Maybe should look at declaring bankruptcy.

What's your interest? Have you considered filing for bankruptcy because 550k is a retarded amount

I've tried on the Explorer a couple of times, and I've been underwhelmed every time. It's just an Oyster Perpetual with a different face. If it's worth paying $1,000 more for a watch with a semi-interesting history, go for it.

That's honestly a plus for me. It's subtle.
Yeah if I had the cash I'd go for the Daytona anyday but I'm trying to be reasonable.

Other contenders;
>Zenith El P
>Railmaster Chronograph
>JLC anything mechanical

I doubt you can find an investment with a good enough return to make up for the interest you are accruing on your loans.
What the fuck man. Whatever is going to happen with that, figure it out first. Definitely look into bankruptcy.

Nice? No clue. Cheap? Vietnam plus a chink deployant.

The longer it takes you to pay off a loan the more expensive it is.

You'd think at $2.5k a month it'll be paid off in 18 years, but in 18 years I'll cost more like $850k

There is a rule that you are not meant to spend more than 10% of your savings in a year on non-essential or luxury items.

I'm not sure how that applies to high-end watches as unlike holidays or clothes that are one-time or disposable, watches retain a lot of their original value.

Well what is your current collection?

I really don't like that dial design.

test

how is that possible? How can you owe that much and make so little?

>tfw can't figure out how to take the band off my watch

Spring bar tool

haha I am ahead of you in life just by doing nothing

Long island watch and learn has 2 or 3 videos on this

FUCKING HOW

Did you got to med school and then decide to work as a McManager? WTF

>tfw learning how to properly set and wind your watch

do you in fact have an 8L36 watch? Post pics.

Does this Emblem I've just found on JewBay look familiar to any of you?

>MORE THAN HALF A MILLION?
anyway, all small bits count so yeah pay off loans

This. Feels good.

I'll tell you the most common answers flat earthers have for the things you brought up.
>GPS satellites
Satellites are fake bro, they're just high-altitude balloons sent up by the government
>centrifugal acceleration on weight and the effective direction of gravity at different longitudes
>the frequency of very precise pendulum clocks would be slightly different due to centrifugal acceleration.
Like with the Focault pendulum these are all things made up by globelets, they interpret the general inaccuracy and unreliability of test equipment (pendulums) as proof of a round Earth. The Focault pendulum has been long proven to be a scam, they're unreliable, sometime they rotate in one direction, sometimes the other, and other times it just oscillates in place perfectly.
>I guess if they constructed a really funky density profile for the earth, but that would be very clearly disproven by minerology.
Gravity isn't real. The Earth is constantly accelerating upwards at 9.8 meters per second, that causes the illusion of gravity.
>sundials
Pic is the accepted model of flat Earth, where the Sun and Moon move in a circle around the center of the Earth. The Sun has a diameter of 32 miles and is at an altitude of 3000 miles. It does not emit light in all directions, it's more like a spotlight. Sundials are proof that the Earth is flat, as they only work in this model.

Like I said, the insanity is fascinating.

How do they explain the Antarctic crossings?

>The Earth is constantly accelerating upwards at 9.8 meters per second
>9.8m/s^2 acceleration would mean the earth would travel faster than light in less than a year

Truly amazing.

"It don't real" or some variation thereof.

What if the universe is actually 4d, we jus can't observe it, and the earth is accelerating in the 4th dimension 9,8 m/s^2??

>accelerating far past lightspeed
>in the 4th dimension

HNGGG

All fake, Antarctica isn't a continent, it's an ice wall around the edge of the Earth. The UN doesn't allow any real explorers get near it.

What if gravity really is not real, but the universe has elements in 4th dimension (dark energy and dark matter) that cause the gravity in the universe by accerelating the whole thing in the 4th dimension. We as mere 3d beings wouldn't notice any of this.

Also since this is /wt/, here's my watch.

Why is the percentage of broken Accutrons being sold on eBay is so damn high? Are those the most unreliable movements ever?

Probably assholes who can't be bothered to find a watchmaker who'll service them.

These are forty to almost sixty years old and there are way less people who know how to repair these compared to common mechanical watches. Plus people who have a working Accutron hold on to it.

Actually, on the direction and magnitude of gravity, of that were true there are plenty of very tall buildings that would not be structurally sound, since they significantly tilt relative to perpendicular. I guess protractors are also lies though.

yes, I have some

What do you think about TV cases? Do you like them? Do you think they could work without the original bracelet?

ugly

>It's a steel day-date Seiko with baton indices!

tuning fork watches are a nightmare to repair. The tuning fork is so powerful that it will run without lubrication. Since it wont stop, people run these things for years and usually shred them apart. The escape wheel can't be repaired and replacing is pricey. Most watchmakers won't even touch these.

Be prepared to spend twice as much as they're listed for. The watch and the service.

What's your point here?

What does /wt/ think of soviet dress watches?
Do you own any?

Stop asking the same question everyday

Post your steel day-date Seikos with baton indices

Don't tell me what to do

Lemme guess, dental school and you're doing residency?

Post a picture of yourself wearing a watch while using public transport.

Why?

Waiting for this bad boy to come

Im gonna be 170k in debt after pharm school
Probably even more if I end up doing a fellowship.
Live in the US is rough if daddy can't pay for school user

TV dial Lemania 5100 Speedmasters are sexy.

That has just become my favourite Speedy.

Sort of

Wow! So cool!

>Virgin watch

just ordered this

am i a fucboi?

> it's gold (plated) to stand out
> it implies "look at me, look at me, I'm so cool"
> it actually says "I can't afford a real watch so I bought this instead"

What watch?

Seiko 5256-8000 ks special

>public transport
Bike master race

Ty
>bike
I only see nu-males and niggers bike these days.

You mean King Seiko Special 5256-8010. The 8000 case style has hooded lugs.

That's what I get for trusting the dial and not reading the caseback. Ty

Plenty of people bike to uni here. Live in Sweden though.

What's /wt/'s opinion on stockx?

Seiko dials and cases have separate codes because Seiko often mixed an matched them in model ranges. So you'd have multiple case styles with the same dial, or multiple dials in available in one case style.

pretty useless, generally.

So what does it mean to give a seiko reference? For example, my 5S21 caseback says 7A00, but the dial says 7A10. Should we be giving both case and dial reference or something?

Typically people give Seiko references for the case style as everyone is used to the same model being offered with multiple dial designs.

Is there any identification for dials? For example, is the reference printed on your LM Special dial unique to that dial?

The codes on the dials themselves identify the specific dial. For example, the dial on this 5256-8000 case design KS is the same dial code as yours because it is the same dial model in two different case styles: Both have 5258-8010S dials.

Forgot pic.

hi, newfag here trying to pick up fast as much as i can. gonna make some purcharses soon

whats /wt/ opinion on russian watches?
raketa/poljot the only ones i know

should i cope some?

they're often available very cheap. Many of them are designed to be fairly bulletproof, so it's not uncommon to find one that runs. Don't expect it to be particularly accurate though. Expect to take it as a given that the watch will be a frankenmonster of swapped movements, faked dials, etc.

Sure, fall for a /wt/ meme and buy some ugly cheap-ass shitters that no one cares about.