LibreOffice or MS Office?

LibreOffice or MS Office?

Other urls found in this thread:

noooxml.wikidot.com/open:rejectooxmlnow
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

libreoffice because it's free. But it needs more development. The real answer is LaTeX

ms

Would you fuck that rabbit, Y/N?

depends on what you're doing. there are better purpose built tools for each of the specific things MS office and libreoffice do.

but if you're going to be lazy and demand it all in one suite, then microsoft office.

LaSuX doesn't do formula spreadsheets or interactive presentations.

MS Office if you are employed

I want to fuck that rabbit.

thats pretty easy
>you are a jobless poorfag neet
you use libreoffice
>you have a good job/are self employed
you use MS Office

True... I was mainly thinking about making documents of course. Or simple presentations.

What the fuck is a formula spreadsheet

secret files only employed people use

>not understanding the difference between bunny and rabbit

LibreOffice desu, it's free and libre. super light and requires no licensing bullshit or online registration crap, also anything MS is literally botnet.

>super light
Not sure if you're joking or what

LibreOffice (despite its massive array of features) is quite light.

kill yourself

>libreoffice is massive
>libreoffice is light
I think you're confusing yourself

you are confusing "light" with "size", that's typical of people who use crappy proprietary software, you'd think that if something has to have lots of features it must be resource demanding, but that's not true whatsoever.

kill yourself

Latex > LibreOffice > WPS > Google Docs > anything else

I would classic lola but Crazy Lola is better.

unf

MS office if you have a real job

pic related

I want Space Jam to be remastered or something just so it can be re-released now and watch SJWs freak out that while Lola has dominant moments, she's just too pretty and not a 400 pound lipstick wearing cow. Also nobody remembers the scene where after she dunks, her top is half off and they animate her taking it back up. Angry single moms would flip shit.

Yeah, I also love doing spreadsheets in latex

retard

Is latex good for just writing text documents or is it a spreadsheet thing? Is it hard to use?

if you're displaying spreadsheets, latex has good table affordances. if you're doing calculations, you probably want to use python, R, or some combination of the two.

there was a big snafu a while back where some economists realized that some calculations they ran in an excel spreadsheet were using the wrong formula. economists are probably the most prolific users of excel, so the fact that they fucked it up should serve to show how easy to fuck up it is that economists who make it their bread and butter still fuck it up.

with python or R you can share the code that generates the analyses (as well as generate charts and graphs), giving you more consistent results that can be scrutinized by others more easily.

mslatex is like html

Libre

It's just for writing text documents (you can add beautiful tables to it). It's not hard to use, it's very easy to use (which is why people who write a lot of text documents especially with references, footnotes and so on should learn it). But it has a steep learning curve, you need to learn a lot to be able to use it. But if you ever are writing a book or a master thesis or something then it's worth learning it.

Nobody knows how MS Office works. Not even Microsoft. It's a technological dead end. That's why OOXML describes a flag simply called "render like Office 95" but doesn't describe what that means. Because they don't know. All they can do is plug in the Office 95 code and have it do its job.

The answer is LibreOffice.

So if I'm just writing school reports that don't require calculations and shit then I should just stick with Libreoffice?

Libre, because MS has fucked me over several times with the 365 live activation bullshit. Fucking ransomware.

If you write a lot you should consider learning it.

If you just write basic shit, you're basically going to create a file you can insert your shit into and just copy that file every time.

Imagine if you did all your writing in something like notepad, and then when you were done writing you put shit like \newchapter{ChapterName} where appropriate and everything was made beautiful automatically. That's the point of it.

The greatness of LaTeX is that it lets you concentrate on writing first and foremost. There's a lot of tooling for it too, that lets you do amazing things, but the bread and butter is that it lets you just write text, and then make it look good afterwards.

If that horrifies you, you're not going to like it.

you should use whatever you want if, functionally speaking, there's nothing necessitating anything. but my hunch is that since latex handles all of the layout and stuff relatively independently of the content, you'll find that writing up reports will be quicker when you only have to worry about pasting your results into some area of the document and trusting that latex will do the layout correctly.

BUT, latex's learning curve isn't trivial. so if you're only going to be making a few of these reports over the next year or two, then you have to weigh the pros and cons. my hunch is it's not worth it to learn latex if you're not going to go on to need this stuff down the road.

spooky

stick your memes up your ass Pajeet.

We get shit done with libreoffice at my workplace.

>having a job using ms office excel
>red titlebar in every window
You should rethink your memes. Libreoffice is also btfo mso for its nonexistent price.

While MS cost money it is still 1000x better than any free alterantive. Microsoft may suck at OS but it is great at office software.

Of course you can't tell why is it better. Brand loyalty isn't my tea.

Who said anything about brand loyalty?

Being a Sup Forums denizen for close to decade has taught me that "Get shit done" is a magic work that means.
>I'm a NEET and spend my days doing nothing.

Actually i have to work with it and it's always get in my way for being a mouse laden garbage that won't accept basic things like ctrl-a in search box.

>BUT, latex's learning curve isn't trivial.
just use LyX if you can't be bothered to learn LaTeX

I'm too used to MS office to switch, plus I use it at work as well.

>trying to make tables in Open Office writer
>Retarded interface and putting tables next to eachother is impossible
>Install MS word
>It just werks

>better spreadsheets than excel

teach me

>putting tables next to eachother
Why not just add columns?

"Get shit done" is usually the argument that Microsoft shills use along with the "muh professionalism argument". Good thing you grasp it's just bullshit.

LibreOffice but when I went to school I used MS Office and if I were to go to school again I'd probably just use MS Office again.

Depends on your needs but the compatibility with MSO documents not being perfect are not LO fault. ODF is well documented and is an ISO standard. OOXML is supposed to be an ISO standard but unfortunately the program that creates +98% of OOXML documents doesn't honors that standard and uses a proprietary variable. Standards are supposed to provide compatibility among competing solutions but due to the OOXML variant used by MSO needing to be reverse engineered this makes the ISO certification moot. In fact there's info about OOXML being pushed just as a PR move done under shady circumstances.
noooxml.wikidot.com/open:rejectooxmlnow

I'm not sure about your requirements but in general:
- Use libreoffice and save your documents in ODF if you want to be always the owner of those documents and never depend on one entity. IF you need to share that document and it'll not be edited by other people use PDF.
- For documents that needs to be edited by more than one person i recommend online solutions like google docs. Honestly, unless you definitely need a feature only available on MSO, google docs is much nicer for working collaboratively.
- If you need to deal with Microsoft formats and you don't want to use their products you can check onlyoffice or WPS office.
- If you don't mind to use microsoft products but you don't like windows you can run MS office 2007 or 2010 on wine. I think you can run MSO 2013 with a recent version of crossver but i'm not sure about wine.

In 95% of the cases i'm well covered by libreoffice and google docs.

>Disney hates mammary glands.

yfw when rich text format that was meant to be a cross platform format released by microsoft crashes ms word when opened

This
Instead of spreadsheets python (pandas) and R are great.
The code of the calculations is also clearer and better documents the contents.
If you want to display or present the data to normal people, put it in a Jupiter notebook. You can also use it to generate presentations.

It depends.

>I work in an office which uses MS products

Then MS Office. Why? Because your company will probably cover it and it will solve any issues you have interacting with other people in your company.

>I'm a small business or have to pay for it
LibreOffice

>the perma-virgin opines on what women think

MS for spreadsheets, otherwise Libre is good enough