/smg/ Speakers/Monitors General

Let's finally do it.

best budget (1000$)

We have to fill those and make a template for advices and maybe a DAC/AMP guide too.

if you want headphones

Other urls found in this thread:

monoprice.com/product?c_id=109&cp_id=10904&cs_id=1090407&p_id=24739&seq=1&format=2
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I dont have anything to contribute, but this is a good thread.

Is JBL LSR308 gud?

Daily reminder that investing +$100 USD in speakers is useless if you don't do proper acoustic treatment on the room.

>best high range
>best top range
Probably those. Risen from the ashes of Adam Audio.

Tl;dr if you have less than 100€/$/£, go to your local charity shop or equivalent and find the biggest pair of speakers you can.

>did this two weeks ago
>Sonab (literally who) floorstanding speakers for 60€
>Free Yamaha home theatre amp

For the budget, I'd say the Z200 from Logitech. They are usually 30$ or so and they aren't ugly and won't need any kind of DAC/AMP.

M-Audio AV42 for mid range.

I've got a practical problem regarding bookshelf speaker placement. I'm using 3 monitors, so I can't place the speakers on the desk, as there's no room. I can't place them behind the desk on stands, since they'd be obscured by the monitors. Where would be the best place to have them?

I currently just have some stands for them and they're to the sides of my desk, but very far apart in order to clear the sides of the monitors. Even so in some sitting positions one of them may end up partially obscured.

Would mounting them on the wall behind the desk, high enough to clear the monitors and pointing inward/down towards me be any better? I keep reading that tweeters should be at ear level, which is why I have them the way they are now and if I stand up they immediately sound shittier, so I tend to believe this.

Shitty mspaint drawing related, this is pretty much the way I have my shit set up now.

What do you value more? Good monitor placement or speaker placement. I used to run 3 monitors like that but changed to one in the center speakers on the sides of that monitor then the other monitors on the outside of the speakers.

get a tall monitor arm and stick the two secondaries above the primary. speakers sit on the desk that way

of course they are.

yes

I guess the best way to put it is that I'm looking for the best speaker placement while not hurting my ergonomics in regards to monitor use since I have a work-from-home job. The monitors are pretty large (27") and if I added the speakers to the sides of the main one, the other 2 would be too far to the sides to use for 8+h a day without neck pain (I had tried something similar before).

They're too big, stacking the 3 monitors on top of each other would make the top monitor impossible to use comfortably for extended periods of time.

i meant have the upper two side by side.

Monoprice 5" desktop studio monitors are basically just M-Audio BX5 rebrands for 1/2 the cost.

also, this:

wish they would clone airmotiv 6s. Then I'd be on board

Even if they could they'd be $500+

Guess that just means the originals fairly priced

More like the method of construction requires specific components that simply aren't cheap no matter what you do.

The only reason they managed to rebrand the BX5's is because they went to the chinese manufacturer for M-Audio and buy directly from them.

I want to get a jotenheim and the 6s and a cd player with balanced outs and then also m1060 headphones with a balanced cable and just have like a full balanced meme

I heard they weren't really making the 6s anymore so maybe they're coming out with a successor? I don't think they're dropping speakers as a whole or anything since they just came out with the T2

Everyone here is poor get some money and buy something good

>best budget
Anything you can find on rubbish piles, people are throwing out perfectly decent speakers these days. Just make sure they're not total trash before grabbing them. Past that your local pawnbroker/charityshop/tyrone ought to have some half decent ones for cheap, find either big, heavy, or both and you'll be golden.

you should also make poweredand unpowered categories for each price range
price ranges should be:
under $100
$100-$300
$300-$500
the other two are ok, the reason is there's not much worth recommending under $50 and there's much variation in quality between 150-500

That's just a delusional lie. If the room setup is the independent variable, then better speakers will still be better speakers.

they're good but also fuck my shit up BIG
>pic related

LS50 is the only good monitor

some recommendation for unpowered bookshelf speakers
From cheaper to expensive:
Dayton B652 Air
Monoprice Select 13706
Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy Monitor
Polk Signature Series S15
Q Acoustics 3020
Ascend acoustics CBM-170 SE
HTD level 3
Monitor Audio Bronze 2
Chane A2.4 (use two as L/R by turning the tweeter sideways)
Dynaudio Emit M20
Ascend acoustics SIERRA-2
buchardt audio S300

remember more expensive it's not always better

>I heard they weren't really making the 6s anymore so maybe they're coming out with a successor?
last year they released the Airmotiv B1 which is an unpowered copy of the 5s, maybe they'll release an unpowered 6s

we should also get some sub recommendation on the different price ranges

integrated amps recommendations:
SMSL: Q5 pro, AD18, A6
Teac: AI-101DA, AI-301DA, AI-503
Yamaha WXA-50
Elac Element EA101EQ-G
Polk Audio Omni A1

if size it's not an issue just get a receiver, Onkyo, marantz and denon are best

The first wouldn't work I think even if I found a way to mount them like that, there wouldn't be enough room on my desk for my keyboard and mouse, it's quite wide but other than that not very big. The 2nd might work, but I think the monitors would still be too high for comfortable, extended use.

If I leave the monitors as they are in my first post () and just mess with the speakers, would the current position (far to the side) be better than mounting them to the wall and angling them down? I could just try it out, but I don't want to drill holes in my walls just for a test run and then end up concluding that it sounds like shit.

The thing is I need the monitors for actual work, while the speakers are just there for fun basically, so I'm hesitant to mess with my comfortable work environment just to get better sound. I'm obviously willing to change the way my speakers are placed if that could improve quality without hurting ergonomics and/or my workflow.

Advice template suggestion:
Budget:
Intended use (desktop/home theater/music only)
listening distance
size factor (small/large bookshelf, Floorstanding)
sub: Y/N
2.0, 2.1, 5.2 etc...
powered/unpowered

missed front/rear ported

take two of your monitors off your desk for an hour during down time and test the speakers on the desk to see if it's even worth it.

if it is, consider getting a tall mounting pole instead of drilling holes, for a trial period at least.

I've tried them straight on my desk before, but they felt too close/too large for the distance (like 40-50cm away from me).

Not sure where I'd get stands high enough to clear my monitors, but that's a good idea. I could just bring over some chairs and place my speakers, current stands and all, on a chair to get them high enough. How the fuck didn't I think of that? They wouldn't be angled downwards of course, but it's worth a test anyway.

have you considered buying a larger desk?
or just put a MDF board on top of your current desk to extend it

so, monoprice is going to release this:
monoprice.com/product?c_id=109&cp_id=10904&cs_id=1090407&p_id=24739&seq=1&format=2
any chance is good?

A bigger desk wouldn't solve anything really, the speakers would still be either obscured or the monitors too far to the side or too high up. That's why I said I'm not really looking to move the monitors, just the speakers (and moving them higher seems to be the only real option, which is why I was asking).

The sound stage is actually pretty great with the way they're positioned now. My only real problem is that one or the other speaker can easily become partially obscured if I don't sit in the perfect position and am instead slightly closer to the desk or some shit. If I could get the same quality by mounting them higher for instance, I would never have to worry about always sitting in the perfect position.

>ls50
>"monitor"
>only good one

you mean overpriced coaxial speakers/lifestyle product that stereophile dickrides?

are there any good coaxial or are they just a meme?

Plenty, and it's not that the ls50 is bad, it's just very expensive for what it is and limited by it's size/cabinet design.

Look into the volt coaxial kits from diysoundgroup, the seas loki, anything by urei, original altec lansing 600 series coaxials.

Are the Yamaha HS5s any good?

rm-05 and rm-07

they trying to improve this uni-q shit a 30 fucking years and it's still shit

Emotiva Stealth xx aren't too bad for studio/listening. If there are any Aus' interested I can fully recommend having a look Adelaide speakers.