/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago (outdated - blame /csg/)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Mi A1 review: Xiaomi's first non-MIUI midrange flagship killer
deccanchronicle.com/amp/technology/mobiles-and-tabs/160917/mi-a1-review-xiaomis-first-non-miui-midrange-flagship-killer.html

Samsung Galaxy Note8 review
gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note8-review-1659.php

Asus Zenfone V is official: 5.2" FullHD display, 23MP camera, Snapdragon 820
gsmarena.com/asus_zenfone_v_official_52_fullhd_display_23mp_camera_snapdragon_820-news-27311.php

Deal: Grab a 128GB Google Pixel for just $609.99, 128GB Pixel XL for only $649.99
gsmarena.com/deal_grab_a_128gb_google_pixel_for_just_60999_128gb_pixel_xl_for_only_64999-news-27303.php

Essential Phone gets certified, will now work on Verizon's network
phonearena.com/news/Essential-Phone-gets-certified-will-now-work-on-Verizons-network_id98142

iPhone X's A11 crushes top Android competition in Geekbench
gsmarena.com/a11_in_iphone_x_crushes_top_android_competition_in_geekbench-news-27302.php

old

Other urls found in this thread:

phonearena.com/news/Dual-cameras-explained-how-do-they-work-and-what-are-the-differences_id91884
kimovil.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

anime simps

>pure androind or near stock
>5.5 and under
>feels snappy
>doesn't have a shit battery life
>up to 300 eurobucks

what's the phone equivalent of thinkpad + lubuntu?

Fresh bread, nice

Maybe someone can help me decide for a new phone.

Currently have an S5 but it's getting 3slow5me.

Which phones are recommended by Sup Forums that have similar specs but are faster?

What I like about the S5 is

IP67

Expandable Memory

What I dislike is that it is branded attcrap as well as samsungshit on there and I couldn't bring myself to try and root it, so I had to live with this bs.

If there are any chinkphones you'd recommend in EU, that's fine with me too, since I'll visit soon.

Xiaomi Mi A1

Stupid spacing. Try again.

I'm sorry, I thought this was Sup Forums, not Sup Forums

what budget?

What are the high end phones made for besides games? Why would I need one if I don't play games?

What's currently the best android phone with a physical home button?

Reposting from last thread

>What music app are you folks using? Looking for something to replace the default miui app. Ideally something that shows album art and lyrics.

>Sailfish OS
>Not more than 5" screen size
>bezelless
>at least 3000mAh, removable
>dedicated camera button
>dedicated mute/silent switch
>no front camera
>Manual rear camera controls
>no fingerprint sensor
>no retinal scanner
>NFC
>IR blaster
>3.5mm jack
>USB Type C 3.1
>Bluetooth
>4G,3G,2G
>FM Radio
>Plastic build
>IP 68 certified
>MIL-STD-810G compliant
Any suggestions?

Monitoring this, need something better than the default player especially on the lock screen. I want just pause, fwd, Rev buttons when locked since that's all I can keep track of while driving

You can find S7 at this price.

Think I'll pull the trigger on the motor z2 force
looks bretty great. thoughts?

Stop shitposting from your mom's phone, Billy. School started and it's time you took your grammar lessons.

>no front camera
It literally doesn't exist user, give up.

Better cameras

>inb4 just get a real camera
most people don't carry a camera with them everywhere they go, and as they say "the best camera is one you have with you"

Okay so remove that "no front camera" from the list. Any suggestions?

first for someone tell me the OP5 is a good phone so I don't feel insecure about my purchase

>the dumb blonde meme is real

>Have a Motorola G4 play, works completely fine
>Ordered a Sony Xperia XZ Premium just because my upgrade was due

What's wrong with me?

>>IR blaster
d-do phones actually have this?

>Being on an upgrade plan
>Not having the discipline to save the money and buy a new phone out right

i don't take many photos either

i have an iphone 4 currently. camera is pretty good sometimes.

Well then you'd probably be fine with a budget or a midrange phone

>wanting to wait longer for something for literally no reason

>Unironically falling for the upgrade plan jew

90s-Early 00s phones used to have it
Some phones in the current years also have it

give one negative of it

What are the Sup Forums approved phones? My ten year old NV3 died and they don't sell non-smart phones anymore. Jailbreaking and privacy options are a must. I'm in the US and will be using Verizon.

P10 lite or G5+? Can get both for a similar price.

my v20 has it.

Easier for carriers to charge you more money than the phone itself because you wanted the thing now. Even if you still wanted it now, you could always save up a "new phone fund" and buy one whenever. You don't need an exact thing in mind to start saving for it.

Upgrade plans are still contracts, debt, and bills that you could avoid, but don't because you lack proper savings discipline and need your shiny rock now. Or are you going to say that having more bills and more debt is good?

Any recently launched mid-range phone like the Mi A1 that will most likely have great custom rom support. By great support I'm thinking of the Nextbit Robin like where there are no major bugs in the OS,

Forgot to add the attention grabbing pic.

Rocket Player

What do you guys think about buying refurbished phones on ebay?
The HTC 10 is up for like $150 and I'm in the market for a new phone but I want to spend the least amount posible.

How does the Moto G5 Plus compare?

I use poweramp and It's perfect. It doesn't show lyrics tho

You serious? It's been known irl for ages. How young are you?

Breddy gudd, I've had mine for about 3 years now and it's way cheaper than buying new but you still get the warranty.

t. The guy from above looking for a replacement of his S5

The deal is that it's refurbished by the seller, not by HTC.

Worse camera and update support

Get a Mi Max 2 now or wait for MI7?

Xiamoi + LineageOS?

Huh, is it an unlocked or is it the Sprint version? The only time I see HTC 10s that cheap is when it's a Sprint model

I currently have an S5 running CM11 (I like the built in long press to skip tracks, and hate material design), but I'm looking to get a new phone, since the camera is shit.

Is the Xperia XA1 any good? Are any of the Xperia phones good? I know the older ones used to overheat on people.

I conceded defeat and installed neutron. It works well but boy does the ui look shit. Any skinning? Also for that guy who uses it how much battery would you say it uses in the long run?

This is painful to watch. I would put them all in an oven if I could.

It is sprint. Is sprint bad? I've seen that it's relatively easy to unlock it.

what's the point in dual cameras? what purpose do they serve and how do they work?

one regular and one wide angle

could you explain why? I don't get how that leads to better photos, does it auto detect which to use or something?

No I'm not serious.

I'm not sure if it will work on GSM LTE networks, I've heard something like you have to have a custom kernel or firmware flashed to them so the modem will pick up the LTE bands that it should pick up
Apparently all versions are essentially unlocked but carrier specific start off as unlocked for all bands, but then specified to only work with said carrier's bands

phonearena.com/news/Dual-cameras-explained-how-do-they-work-and-what-are-the-differences_id91884

thanks

i asked /spg/ for advice on a phone a month ago and go the lg x power. it's pretty good phone so far, only thing is that the speakers arent so good.

but i figured having a phone with long battery life and a dedicated bluetooth speaker will work out better in the long run.

can i get some recommendations for bluetooth speakers? i've looked at some, but i don't know anything about speakers, or music in general. i don't mind mediocre sound quality, since i'm not an audiophile, just really something that can get a bit load and listen to over the sound of a shower.

I have a bose mini soundlink, it's kinda expensive, but has great sound and will definitely be louder than your shower.

Anker Sound Pro(?), Or something like that are damn good, check Amazon

JBL is good but pricey. Can withstand rough handling and battery is pretty good. Sounds great, bass is great.

i don't need an expensive one. honestly, i expect the speaker to get lost or damaged at some point. anything over $50 would be a bit much.

i was looking at anker speakers, among others, but i can't get an idea of how high the volume can get from the reviews.

Alright, thanks for your input bro, you were really helpful.

Pretty badly, it's $269 at BHphotovideo, ($299 for the 64gb one)

Even better, Newegg has the 64gb version of $279

So how shit is my galaxy grand prime nowadays?

how badly did I fuck up?

what's the best wireless charger atm?

The sun

Why are Oneplus phones not popular around here? They have killer price, fast as fuck and almost stock Android.

iPhone SE as a budget replacement phone, y/n?

RIP HTC 10, you served me well.

Unfortunately I didn't really do anything with the screen size which makes me think actually using my thumb to access the entire screen without awkwardly bending my hand would be nice.

No, why get it

Im between a Google Pixel 32gb and a LG G6, what do? those are the two models available but Im having trouble deciding on wich one to choose.

Any user owns either of them that care to tell me how's their experience with it?

It will be my first "high end" phone since I've been using cheap phones for the last 4 years and I dont want to have any regrets

4 inch display with modern internal components

Also I've never really used iOS before so it might be fun to try something new.

what anime?

I was happy with it until I lost it.
The battery life was nice.

What do you think was the biggest downside in day-to-day use?

Debating between a Moto g5+ or an honor 8, pretty much the same price seeing that the honor 8 is selling for 269 atm, the software issues not that big a deal for me also

I do think the honor 8 looks nice as fuck and I can't help but not like the moto g5's looks too much.. also coming from a Nexus 5x I have a bunch of usb c cables I'd have to replace if I were to go Moto g5

Honor 8 wins in performance and cameras, G5+ in battery life.

México Movistar best high end Chink phone?

OnePlus 5.

anyone have the nexus 6, is it good?

Is the battery life difference drastic though? From what I can tell it's the same size battery but the stronger chip uses more

If I can get through a full day with light-moderate use I'm happy with it, I always have some kind of access to a charger anyways

Honor 8 should be fine then, it does have fast charging too

Are there any websites to help choose your phone with the stuff you want? Android had a website like that but it isn't available anymore, are there any good alternatives?

GSMarena's phone finder
www.gsmarena.com/search.php3

Or Kimovil.com

>kimovil.com
kimovil.com

I finally got my first phone /spg/ thanks for all of the advice and recommendations. I went with an s7 even though I wanted an edge. What are some must have apps for it and is there any sort of phone traker that I can use for it in case my phone is God forbid stolen or lost ?.

Thanks bros.

i have a m8 and its a hell of a beast, the 10 is probably much more better, i think it is a good phone

just get another htc 10, they are cheapear and a pretty good phones

flytube, adaway, lucky patcher for cloning apps, you got a great phone, congrats :)

In theory Google has a service built in to track it but I'd recommend Cerberus which is paid

google are jews, so as soon as pixel 2 drops they'll probably give to shits about the old pixel

Get the G6, at least you have guranteed updates

What's the best cable for charging? I'm mainly going to use it for my galaxy note 4, and dualshock 4 controller