How does Sup Forums feel about engines?

How does Sup Forums feel about engines?

I would like to make video games, but I'm afraid no one will play them and all of that time and effort would be wasted.

define "no one"

you would

they're okay. I'm waiting for the final release of Godot 3

i like unreal, it's just personal preference tho because i never tried unity.

I would prefer them to be just shared libraries that export C API.
Otherwise be executable that has some API and loads libraries dynamically.
Current engines are whole fucking ecosystem programmed in ugly sepples and then they include one shitty scripting language into the executable, you wanted it or not.

this

i like unity, but the amount of shitty games that it has helped create is disgusting

I think it has that reputation because many of the profession games made in Unity remove the classic Unity splash screen at the beginning which means people won't easily know what engine it was made in, while the notorious ultra-low budget ones keep it in so EVERYONE knows it was made in Unity.

*professional games

Kinda the way I see it... I'm trying to make a fun game I might like to play and hope to release it as a freebie. I don't imagine it'll get me anywhere but it would be cool to say a group of people liked my game.

Nothing.

You can always learn to make them as a hobby

I would like to start using UE4, but my wee little laptop from 2012 doesn't have the specs for it, or Unity either for that matter.

What specs do you guys recommend for UE4 development?

>professional games made in Unity
No graphically impressive game was made in unity. Also, you can easily tell when a game is unity most of the time.

Unity is like the scratch of gaming.
The ease of use is not relevant to anyone capable of making a technically good game.

Definition no_one P :=
~ exists x, P x.

>No graphically impressive game was made in unity.
firewatch is very pretty

it is because it reduces development time and thus also cost

if you can't make a game without everything being prepackaged, you're just playing with toys.

Leave the coding to the big boys, game "developers"

>firewatch is very pretty
Define pretty

>it is because it reduces development time and thus also cost
This isn't a shitty server that's just 99% I/O work. Performance is important and any studio that's big chases after the best performance they can get within reason

>Define pretty
is this how autism looks like?

You can clearly see that Firewatch is made in Unity, still a very pretty Game though.
I use a Screenshot from it is a Wallpaper on my Ubuntu box.

Game Maker is nice. I hated the new interface in GM: Studio 2, though.

My only complain is that its too proprietary-ish and ENIGMA, unfortunately, is too buggy.

I am looking into making an engine, I think engine programming is really cool.

Using 3rd party engines? Meh, go for it if you just wanna make games

>How does Sup Forums feel about engines?
>hurr go back to Sup Forums
Thats the answer to your question.

No asfor the answer to what I think youre trying to ask, I like unreal.

>want to use unreal
>has easy coding
>said easy coding lowers optimisation of game
>optimisation is something I care a lot about
>don't know anything about c++

r i p

where do I go if I have good ideas for games but no coding skills?

the dumpster

as I was typing that reply I realized how gay I sounded, disregard

>No graphically impressive game was made in unity.
Subnautica is coming into its own pretty well. With that said the dev's have mentioned at least once they've hit walls with Unity. I'd compare it to Java. Yes - you can make something really great with it. No - it's not the best tool to do anything but it's not the worst either.
I prefer the ID engines myself, but only because they have a habit of going open source.

how about you made an actual game and then only worried about optimization if it actually ran bad?

Up until recently I thought game dev was a meme not worthy the time, but lately I've been seriously thinking it may be your only way out if you're stuck in a boring job (or a job that seems boring to you). I'm not saying you'll make an instant hit that millions will play, but video games may be the last field left where you can code and have a good time expressing yourself creatively, unlike the soulless routine that's out there.

Not making the game you've always wanted to play with everything about it catering to your tastes.

/waitingforsource2/

>want to optimise gaymes

have fun building your own engine with vulkan/dx12

As someone who worked for an engine company as recently as two years ago, you'd be very surprised to see how much money people make. So many eastern European people would make a year's salary from uploading their own content in the span of a weekend.