Install gentoo

Is it worth installing this over void linux? I have an old computer and I am going to either install void or gentoo on it. Is gentoo install much harder than arch? I know it's a lot more time consuming.

It's not difficult but compiling can take a while on an old computer. If you have another more powerful computer you can use distcc, just make sure to set -march manually instead of -march=native.

but is it worth the time? Liek will I get more performance out of my computer?

The Hard/Time Consuming part starts after the install

If you're asking this question without searching anywhere first, and you're asking your question in the current way you're asking it, you shouldn't be installing gentoo, or really any linux distro for that matter.

No one on Sup Forums actually use gentoo anyways, don't fall for the meme.

The advantage of compiling yourself is the flexibility of packages. You can cut out dependencies, include features that aren't compiled in in normal distros, and more (IMO FreeBSD does this better with ports though). You _might_ get a negligible performance boost.

>No one on Sup Forums actually use gentoo anyways
Seems like someone was too stupid to install it properly.

You have to go back.

average neofetch/screenfetch threads you rarely see one if any posts from a gentoo user.

Fine I think I will stick to Void then. Thanks guys!

No, install gentoo or debian
Eveything else is a cluster fuck

Gentoo user here. Used Debian before and it is a clusterfuck at some times as Gentoo is too. It just boils down to a package manager you like. Portage is best package manager there is for me and that's literally the only reason I stick with Gentoo though mantainers are autistic sometimes.

That's because screenfetch/neofetch threads are filled with millenials that install linux to get internet points on their anime board.

Void is better.

and yet here you are

Can you give me examples on how debian is a clusterfuck
I think so too a bit desu
I stick with debian because it's not a meme distro.

I use Arch now. The only reason I want to use Void is because it is a more unique distro. And Arch does not support 32bit anymore right?

I was just asking an opinion and I already use Linux jesus I am sorry if I have offended you in anyway

I forgive you... BRAINLET!

>The only reason I want to use Void is because it is a more unique distro.
Sums up 80% of Void users pretty well.

Reasons to install gentoo:

1. You're autistic and fell for a meme
2. To say you installed gentoo
3. You have some weird edge case where you need to compile everything anyways (eg. some weird CPU variant that isn't supported by mainstream distros)
4. You're building another distro, and just using Gentoo as a base (Google's Chrome OS does this)

Yes, because this isn't a screenfetch/neofetch thread.

Gentoo is a lot "harder" to install than Arch yeah, but it really depends on your knowledge of the layout of the system and willingness to learn it, honestly it's not exactly "hard" more than time consuming.

There's not really much you can mess up following the handbook, the problem is moreso if you follow the handbook exactly without knowing what's going on - doing emerge sync without understanding what that does, unpacking stage3 without knowing what it is, building the kernel without knowing what you need for your system, etc. As long as you've got that sort of underlying critical thinking you'll be fine.

I use gentoo on my desktop and arch on my laptop, centos on my home server, feel free to ask me shit

>97%
The other 3% are tinfoil anti-systemd nutcases who don't actually know enough about what they're doing to remove it from the distro they actually want to use.

No. Try Cubes OS instead.