Discord

How is Discord making money? I submitted a ticket request on Discord Saturday night and by Sunday morning it was resolved with two updates by a real person over the night. This makes me very suspicious as to how these guys are making money when there's no subscription fee or anything anywhere on their website aside from the Merch section selling T-shirts for $20.

Other urls found in this thread:

discordapp.com/privacy
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

by selling your data

Discord is a botnet

can somebody repost what I wrote about discord yesterday? The one with pepe in picture and privacy pasta

Gubbermint backdoors probably

I asked them to fix the FUCKING windows size/location cache on the Windows client, and they said there didn't give a fuck and they'd fix it eventually.

selling your data

Discord premium and botnetting you like Facebook does with Messenger

>I don't know what venture capital is
>I don't know what selling personal information and data is

Investors, selling your data, and more recently Nitro.

discordapp.com/privacy
INFORMATION WE COLLECT
Information You Provide: We collect information from you when you voluntarily provide such information, such as when you register for access to the Services or use certain Services. Information we collect may include but not be limited to username, email address, and any messages, images, transient VOIP data (to enable communication delivery only) or other content you send via the chat feature.

Data We Collect Automatically: When you interact with us through the Services, we receive and store certain information such as an IP address, device ID, and your activities within the Services. We may store such information or such information may be included in databases owned and maintained by affiliates, agents or service providers. [..]

Aggregated Information: [...] we may conduct research on our customer demographics, interests and behavior based on the information collected. This research may be compiled and analyzed on an aggregate basis, and we may share this aggregate data with our affiliates, agents and business partners. We may also disclose aggregated user statistics in order to describe our services to current and prospective business partners, and to other third parties for other lawful purposes.

Info through other Services: You may give us permission to collect your information in other services. For example, you may connect a social networking service ("SNS") such as Facebook or Twitter to your Discord account. When you do this, it allows us to obtain information from those accounts (for example, your friends or contacts).

>Business Transfers: As we develop our business, we might sell or buy businesses or assets. In the event of a corporate sale, merger, reorganization, bankruptcy, dissolution or similar event, your information may be part of the transferred assets.

> Spyware

Does any one like using it?

Discord is for normies. Mumble master race, set one up on a local network. No latency and sounds fantastic, but of course it only works if you're playing in the same house as other people.

Same way as google does, duh. Selling you.

They have a subscription option that's about $4.99 a month or about $60 a year.

Yeah, except that discord doesn't serve you ads.

Pretty much everything collects data about you today. If you're on the internet, every site or service collects data about what you do.

What are you smoking? Mumble works fine online.

>set one up on a local network
>local network

>no subscription fee
I can see you looked into it real good.

Remember to report all Discord users.

>using voip online where it's easy to be spied on
wew lad

no wonder you guys use discord, you're retarded and don't care about your privacy.

Discord Nitro

Voice chatting is for normalfags, IRC is more than enough.

>inb4 muh gaymz

>shitposter can't even be bothered to read the 20 post thread
What a surprise.

it's (((funded))) to watch people, just like the news is funded to control how you think

For now, VC investments. They're burning through that money with no regard for turning a profit because their goal is to make themselves as popular as possible in the shortest amount of time in the hope that Google/MS/Facebook buys them out. If they can't manage that they'll either crash and burn, paywall the majority of features, or go full Skype-tier adware. Either way, don't expect Discord as it currently exists to exist more than a few years from now.

you're the product

You'd be suprised how long a company can last burning on VC. See Soundcloud for example, which lasted an absurdly long time doing fuck all to turn a profit until they were recently rescued.

They aren't. They're just spending investors' money. Startups aren't even trying nowadays, I'm so waiting for this bubble to burst.

They have huge investment cash from an investment shell company for the CIA

Fuck off namefag

mumble by default encrypts communication

Is there sauce for this?

no sorry no one kept your shitty pasta faggot. it probably wasnt even worthreading

There is always one of you guys lying in wake.

they aren't making money, they're running on VC. like all VC-funded startups, they will, sooner or later, turn to selling user data because that's the only thing of value they have.

It's funny how this image implies that Skype and Slack are somehow more advanced than IRC.

What do you mean suspicious?
They're selling your data. Firstly they're parsing everything you're saying, storing it forever to sell as data on you. Then every link you post everything you type is also stored and sold.
Also usage statistics, like when and how long you use discord, as well as the interests and behaviours of those you talk to. This helps build a profile on you which is used to read your mind.

Thanks for this (you)

wtf i love datamining corporate rubbish now #stillwithher

I FUCKING LOVE SCIENCE!!!

Install maxtrix and the riot client, hell you can even connect to maxtrix servers through irc. get fucked discord

Selling your info to third parties like the rest of the spyware.

Your IP, email, username are sold.

How the fuck is anything said or posted in discord valuable? 99% of shit is just in game talk and people posting dumb memes. Who buys this kind of data?

Advertising companies buy your email address and look through your interests so they can spam ads targeted at you

>Business Transfers
its their only play.

What data? What is there to sell in a chat service used for gaming teams/guilds/whatever?
Because you are not using it for anything else, right?

They mine your text data for brand names and locations and depending on how you are accessing Discord they will either use browser cookies or other means to provide you with targetted advertising

>no subscription fee
> doesnt know that about 10-15% of their userbase is subscribed to discord nitro

Lots of VC money right now and their end game is data mining

proof?

>Comes on Sup Forums.
>excepts reddit

But I block advertisement.

What game you play, with who, how long, etc.

Closed source free service, aka botnet.

How many red flags do you need?

I use it and I mean its a great program except for the botnet.

Just looking at how its botnet, no I hate it
Looking it as a chat program, I love it

This. It does it's job very well and other people use it.

they sell aggregated data to advertisers and other third party compaties. ie if every server has an influx of the phrases 'rick and morty' and 'funny' -- they record that, and can sell that information to people who can then use that information to help them with their own businesses by understanding what their target demographic likes, or thinks is cool.

essentially a botnet. Anything that free isn't free.

Paid by Soros to shut down non-Communist channels.