/cyb/ + /sec/: Cyberpunk and Cybersecurity General:

/Cyb/er/sec/urity general is for the discussion of anything and everything related to cyberpunk and cybersecurity.

What is cyberpunk?
>pastebin.com/hHN5cBXB

Nothing to hide? - The importance of a cyberpunk mindset applied to a cybersecurity skillset.
>youtu.be/pcSlowAhvUk

Resources:
Cyberpunk:
Cyberpunk directory:
>pastebin.com/VAWNxkxH
Cyberpunk resources:
>pastebin.com/Dqfa6uXx
FAQ Version 5 preview 5 is here:
>pastebin.com/HFqvkMR7

Cybersecurity:
Cybersecurity essentials:
>pastebin.com/SCUbhpjP
Cybersecurity resources:
>pastebin.com/VTXRAPxM

Harden your OS, reroute your DNS and fire up the VPN!
Shit just got real: - Looking for more resources, help is welcomed.
>pastebin.com/rqrLK6X0

The Old Skool: - Looking for more resources, help is welcomed.
>0ld 5k00l h4ck3rz: 67.225.133.110/~gbpprorg/#40

Thread archive:
>archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/subject/cyb/
>archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/subject/sec/
>archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/text//cyb/ /sec//

Thread backup:
>cyberpunked.org/

Previous thread:
Suggestions for new resources are welcome.

OP message:
The pasta will be updated.
This branch of /cyb/ or /sec/ will not be demerging as we've seen that it utterly destroys both communities.
As such we will no longer affiliate ourselves with either IRC.
Thank you for your support and patience.

Other urls found in this thread:

arisuchan.jp/feels/res/58.html#58
protonmail.com/support/knowledge-base/javascript-session-storage-cookies/
independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/investigatory-powers-bill-act-snoopers-charter-browsing-history-what-does-it-mean-a7436251.html
sindome.org/
hackerexperience.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>pastebin
>firefox
>duckduckgo
>tor

delete this

>pastebin
We'll be moving to hastebin next thread.
>firefox
Give me a better non-meme option?
>duckduckgo
Fine for now, if you're using anonymization and encryption services already, you honestly wouldn't need to worry that much.
If it bothers you, there are other options.
You could also (as it says in the OP, make recommendations).
>tor
Nothing wrong with it.
Also, another viable option with as much reach?
Yeah, I didn't think so.
How about you take unhelped pretentious rubbish and leave.
However, if you have constructive criticism (which you obviously don't) you're welcome to voice it and give recommendations (as mentioned in the OP).

reminder to hack the planet

Hack it hard, as always.

>>firefox
>Give me a better non-meme option?
how about any fork

Why not just customise it yourself and be 100% sure you did a good job?

Why not just make your own operating system?

you have to be 18 to post here

Truly my favorite thread on Sup Forums. It's kind of funny I've been slumming around on /biz/ since cryptocurrency is the closest thing to the post-cyberpunk, overthrowing the corporatocracy future most of us yearn for. But now /cyb/ send to be making a resurgence so here we go!

arisuchan.jp/feels/res/58.html#58

Ask Terry.

Yeah, that demerge shit was rubbish.
They made a bunch of promises to purify /sec/ but those very same people couldn't even post the odd thread.
So fuck them.

I don't know, maybe if you guys stopped larping and making pdfs and javascript-required websites of a 90s chinese cartoon you might be able to put your brains together and come up with something that improves the situation.

is there such thing as a secure cloud?

Whoa, nice strawman.
Next time, try and actually make an argument you effete sophist piece of shit.
Reminder, you ain't shit and you aren't worth shit.
Mommy lied, sorry.

>cloud
>secure
no

your own machine, and then maybe if no adversary is seeking to wreck your shit.

I understand that you're upset Tor meme has been blown the fuck out since its inception, but at least you guys have Discord. It has cool dark colors.

Waterfox. Pretty much firefox but with no Mozilla Telemetry.

Also, startpage has better results than duckduckgo.

this. putting your data out in the cloud is entrusting someone else with your security. just keep local backups

>cloud is not secure
what did he mean by this?

>Makes another strawman.
>Tries to pass it off as if he's made a more LEGIT argument.
No, still a dickwad dilettante.

Well, /cyb/? Have we done it? Is Cyber Patriot the best program to introduce America's youth to Cyber Security?

>Discord
your post, and now my greentext of this program are the only mentions of it in this whole thread.

Which is a huge improvement from your last thread. You guys are learning.

that mention from the last thread was a reply, and again, was not characteristic of the thread as a whole.

>competitive cyber security

what the fuck?

There we go.
These are good recommendations.
Thank you for actually understanding the format and which you'll receive a positive reply and possible change.
I hope this retard () learns from your example.

subversive fashwave and opsec is the true new cool meme for kids

I believe the saying goes "there is no cloud, it's just someone else's computer". would you trust to store your files on someone else's computer?

you sound super offended

not cyb friend

no but that doesn't mean cloud services aren't safer than let's say, a home server

fashwave is subversive (punk) and its digital and requires opsec to spread it effectively (cyb)

most major media outlets agree with old fashioned cyberpunk political stances already

No, you just didn't follow the correct format.
You treat others how you wish to treated, idiot.
Just because I dislike authority doesn't mean that we all have to act like asocial retards.
If you want to do that, that's great.
But it doesn't mean that I have to give you respect, or any credence to your opinion.
That's pretty simple, friendo.

who has access to the "cloud server" vs your home server? local backups are still preferred but if you need online storage then a home server is definitely more secure, unless you can't configure it, in which case, just do your best to encrypt your shit

isn't fash the opposite of punk though?

>reddit spacing
I love being right.

>Just because I dislike authority doesn't mean that we all have to act like asocial retards.
yeah keep up that larp

wew, alright brev.
and they agree with them so much that they are consolidating to a few major companies? that is one aspect of old fashioned cyberpunk in a way i suppose.

There have been periods in history where fash was subversive, especially in eastern Europe. look up the history of punk rock. It depends on who has the power. Right now its the left, so anti left is "punk".

>cries r*ddit spacing
>posts with r*ddit spacing
what did xe mean by this?

>reddit spacing
What you're doing is actually "Reddit spacing", so that's pretty ironic and telling of nu/g/ faggots.
>I love being right.
Right about what?
You've been either wrong, or just not making an argument anyway.
So, nice third strawman, 'tard.
>yeah keep up that larp
Whoa, much offend.
Such argument.
Not.

since fucking when is the left in power? the leftmost you're gonna get in current politics is liberals, and punk has always been a leftist cultural movement closely tied to anarchism (left anarchism) because it had a core message of rebelling against the capitalist system, the governments, and the corporations

>left anarchism
>classic anarchism

Wow that's a lot of buttpain. I guess you must be a Tor dev or something.

Is this the true power of Redditards?
Thanks for the bumps though, it sure helps.

Also, searx,me is pretty good. Can be a bit inconsistent though.

I've been waiting for one of these threads so I could ask about emails (seems like there's been shills on both sides of all threads specifically about emails as of late).

Protonmail has banned a user for some superfluous reasons (don't want to get into the reasons if at all possible, that'll just derail things), are there any good alternatives?

I'd also like to know some more specifics about how encryption with emails work. If an unencrypted email is sent to an account with an encrypted inbox (such as with protonmail), will third parties be able to read the contents of the email while it is transmitted?

yes, I know, I was attempting to avoid a potential "an"cap

>leftist anarchism
this is a hallucination and a funny joke

Glad I could help. While you take the time to calm down try to figure out an alternative to your CIA botnet problem.

>politicalshit
herewegoagain.png

Ancap reporting in.
>The freer the market, the freer the people.

Hey man. They're the ones that are drawing the lefty line in the sand.

I knew you didn't understand bumps, you're probably too used to the up vote system.
Too bad, I wish you Sup Forumsictims would just leave already.

When you can't figure out if what you're doing is a genre of fiction or a career path you have serious problems

but they're hacking the planet, man. fuck the corporations and stuff.

searx.me is slow imo but it seems pretty good.

I personally use protonmail so I'm not going to advocate for or against them

with email, encryption works in the way that (at least with protonmail) the emails are encrypted on the server, meaning that server admins or attackers can't see the content of an email hosted on the server. unfortunately this means that if an email is sent to an unencrypted server or a compromised server (protonmail to gmail, for example) that email can be accessed from the other server. Ideally both parties would encrypt their communications independently of the server, and the server would encrypt the emails in case of a failure. email is generally very insecure in its current state and is best avoided altogether

Doesn't Protonmail require JavaScript to function?

email encryption is a fucking mess. There's server specific settings about what kinds of connections you can accept but anyone doing any forwarding isn't required to obey those except at that point. An email send in plaintext could go through plaintext servers and then finally be encrypted at the last point. Can't trust email for shit.

lefties, in a cyberpunk thread? i for one am shocked.
just don't scare the sec faction off i guess, while you try to rewrite the genre into being right-wing.
also why i prefer not to even broach that aspect of the genre in this site, since i don't really care when all is said and done

it does, I believe for decryption but I can't remember for sure

Cybersecurity is interesting and amusing, while cyberpunk is entertaining; has a pleasing aesthetic and philosophy.

Well, that's certainly a security concern.

as a bonus, both are extremely relevant to the world we are living in and should be studied to gain a better understanding of our current technological and geopolitical landscape

>protonmail.com/support/knowledge-base/javascript-session-storage-cookies/

>not feeling /cyb/ as fuark when you plant a backdoor
i assume that's what the real /sec/anons feel when doing that. i wouldn't know though.

You can want libertarian freedoms without being partisan.
Partisan divide is a PSYOPS spook anyway to divide and conquer.

that cleared things up, thanks! I trust their privacy policy for now

Precisely.

Well, I'm not using them.

do you know of a good alternative? as of now they seem to be the free non-us based service that offers the most storage, and they have decent service

cyberpunk (and punk) mastered the idea of rebelling against the government. This has a lot to do with the era in which they were born, when many especially soviet countries oppressed the movement, speech, and welfare of a lot of people. However, it struggles to recognize private sector oppression properly. The image a lot of people mistakenly have is of a big faceless mega-corporation raping the land and valuing money over all else.

The reality is a complex of government and private institutions that have a blinding umbrella over society. This trickles down to things that seem innocent at first. For example, cyberpunk might easily see the lie when the MSM reports on international war. But what if it is faced with things that are harder to see due to political blindness: such as the politics and errors therein of official climate change data. OR the systematic oppression of right-leaning educators in higher institutions of learning. Its hard to see the oppression when it looks like "progress".

yeah there are some shared values in the venn-diagram, better to focus on those for these threads' sake at least.

As always cloud services aren't as secure as competent self-implementation.

Agreed.

if I had the money, I'd have a server too. Even so, it still doesn't solve the problem of every mail getting sent directly to spam for the recipient

Thanks for the info. What about ISPs and other potential middlemen? Is it just the sender and recipient (and their email servers) one has to worry about, or are there other parties involved in the transmission of emails from sending server to receiving server?

About JS, anyone know if tutanota or cock.li require JS?

Also, what should I be using instead of email?|

>Also, what should I be using instead of email?|
one-time pads, spooks will never get your shit that way

>ISPs
For now you have to live with them, since they have the infrastructure. The best you can do is us a VPN. And if you torrent, throttle your mbps/sec or randomize it somehow so your ISP has a harder time figuring out what you're doing.

cock.li doesn't require a web client but you are in charge of your own security. Tutanota is a lot like protonmail, where it is really only useful as webmail.

Remember that full opsec is a dream. At least on modern hardware, which now have uninstallable botnets. You could go full retroware until a the day a libreprocessor comes out.

>potential middlemen
anyone from the nsa to the guy standing behind you. your ISP can't see who you're sending an email to or what you're sending, they do see that you're sending and receiving packets to/from a mail server, and some attacks (mitm) can intercept those packets, but I'm unsure of the amount of info contained in them and I doubt the contain the content of the email. also if your email provider uses https or an other secure connection, mitm attacks are a lot less efficient since the packets are encrypted.

what do you think of the newfound way to disable the IME? I haven't heard from the libreboot team yet

Playing 3.1415926535897932 dimension chess.

>retroware

I'm working on that actually. Probably a pipedream but I've got an ancient ThinkPad with a Pentium 3 processor. I'm trying to figure out if I can get coreboot on it. It seems like the Northbridge and Southbridge are supported, and I've run into some problems/haven't had enough time to figure out how to use SuperIOTool.

So, for most purposes, https should be adequate. Good to know.

cock.li requires js if you want to access your mail through a browser. You can make an account and set it up in a mail client without ever allowing js though.

how important is single-core performance? if one were to build a cluster computers using only older hardware, it would be possible to have decent performance, granted the load is balanced properly, right? I'm thinking of maybe doing this to avoid IME/PSP

this or an open source communication app with audited encryption. decentralized or p2p if you're insanely paranoid and your friends are too

One time pads are a toy solution in crypto. You literally have to exchange as many bits as your message f or them to work, as if key exchange wasn't enough of a nightmare already. I don't think you guys know what you're talking about.

it was mostly a joke, sorry you missed it.

see

The UK recently passed a 'Snoopers Charter' which parliament said was just allowing authorities to work with ISPs for targeted surveillance to tackle cybercrime and terrorism.

Since the law was passed in Nov 2016 I've noticed that peerblock lists connections to different government departments depending on keywords. If you go to theonion.com peerblocks blocks the ministry of agriculture and food because of the word 'onion'. A bunch of other keywords trigger connections to different departments like tax & revenue, the national health service etc that have nothing to do with national security.

Even the way news articles critical of the bill were describing it was that they were just forcing ISPs to retain all users history so they could use it for targeted surveillance, but that doesn't explain the keywords.

So what are they actually doing? Someone on leddit who works for the welfare department says they spy on benefit claimants so if they're claiming disability for a bad back and they're paying for skydiving lessons they can take them to court.

These spying powers were given to pretty much every single government department, see the list here: independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/investigatory-powers-bill-act-snoopers-charter-browsing-history-what-does-it-mean-a7436251.html

So you can deduce that they're using this bill to spy on every single aspect of people's lives. The details of the bill show that fairly low-ranking individuals in these departments can spy on you. How the fuck can they sell this as a counter-terrorism measure when it's literally a stasi scheme to collect any kind of dirt on citizens?

People say if you're not doing anything wrong then you have nothing to hide - but lets say GCHQ catch an MP doing something illegal and instead of charging them they can use it to blackmail them to affect policy.

How the fuck does this pass?

>How the fuck does this pass?
Remember, user. Cyberpunk is now.

this security theater against terrorism has been a godsend for the state. don't see what has to give to reverse it.

Its a country where you can get arrested for making a tweet. I am not surprised at all. If you ever need a reminder that the UK is not the US, just look at free speech law.

Also we're not far behind either. The more we are okay with censorship because its "the nazis" the more power we play a part in ruining the internet.

are the europeans not up yet? someone tell them they have to keep it alive now.

bump

Have you guys played in Sindome sindome.org/

Also, is this worthwhile to play (as an entertainment) hackerexperience.com/

Artist?

>overthrowing the corporatocracy future most of us yearn for. But now /cyb/ send to be making a resurgence s
Uhh

Have you even been paying attention?

The banks and wall st are fucking us.

JP Morgan committing what is an actual felony in the stocks world; spreading FUD in the media, causing an artificial crash then scooping 20,000 bitcoins?

Yeah, were really fucking free, and were really sticking it to the man with our digital monies that the powers that be can manipulate with ZERO repercussions. With a few words and their overwhelming funds, we've been driven out of the market. It's theirs. We lost.

Remember, we chose this by wanting it decentralised and unregulated.