Stupid questions thread

I would have posted this to a SQT but I didn't see one up so I'll just start one. I'm about to start attending college in three days and I'm currently staying with my parents because we live 10 minutes away and we are trying to save money. My parents are deciding that it is a good idea to set up a parental network monitor even though I am 18 and legally an adult. What's the worst case scenario if they decide to go down this route? Could they see everything I've looked up in the past or just what I've looked up after the installation? Is there anyway to circumvent this? I'm asking because I never had parental controls as a kid ironically, and thus never learned how to deal with them. I find it shocking and strange that they are only deciding to do this as I enter college and adulthood, but yet here we are.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.de/dp/B01J5ZJHWW/
google.com/amp/s/www.howtogeek.com/howto/9585/how-to-setup-a-usb-flash-drive-to-install-windows-7/amp/
tomshardware.com/answers/id-2041469/windows-installation-required-dvd-drive-device-driver-missing.html
crucial.com/usa/en/support-system-maintenance-repair-hard-drive-errors
amazon.com/TP-Link-Powerline-Adapter-Starter-TL-PA2010KIT/dp/B00AWRUIY4/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1505743443&sr=1-3&keywords=ethernet over power
toshiba.co.uk/discontinued-products/satellite-l50d-b-151/
youtube.com/watch?v=cLnDxM4O_eg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>worst case scenario
They kick you out of their house and you become a real adult.

Get this shit out of here you fucking weeb.

Your dad is trying to convince you to finally get laid instead of jerkin off all the time. He's right, it's about damn time.

why would they want you to monitor them?

To run a 3 monitor setup, do I have to look for a gpu that has (1 HDMI, 2 Displayport) or (2 HDMI, 1 DisplayPort), or even three of each?

Or can I just plug them in willy nilly as long as I have 3 interfaces, I don't plan to use the 3 monitors combined for gaming

I have a SATA HDD that "vanishes" from W10 twice a week or so until I reboot then the drive reappears, what do?

>I find it shocking and strange that they are only deciding to do this as I enter college and adulthood, but yet here we are.
there's probably some shit you're not telling us, like always

why don't you fuck off and go study some more, also you're not an adult. 18 is just a number

>18 is just a number
That's what I told the judge, but he didn't buy it.

well played

Whatever matches up to your devices. You can also get hella cheap Displayport to HDMI adapters. Not the other way around though.

Get VPN. Problem solved.

And no, they can't magically see everything you've ever looked up.

How do you guys keep some folders at the top of directories? In Windows I used to put a ! before the rest of the name to make it hop to the top.

Shit, forgot to say I'm currently using Linux

I want to be able to use my headset and speakers at the same time and not always have to switch between the settings in the control panel. Any way to make this possible on windows7? Or do I need an audiomixer or something for this to work.

I had a HDD fail on me. It spins but w10 can't see the partition.

There's some stuff there I'd like to recover so I booted into osfclone ( good choice??).

The program can see the 1977MB partition and I have a 3TB external HDD ready for the image. Should I use dd, AFF or EWF for the imaging format? Anything else I should do or be aware of before I start? Never done this before.

So, I'm thinking of upgrading my graphics card but I have the following problem:
I have 3 monitors, one crap monitor running over HDMI, one 24" 60Hz running over DVI (no HDMI option) and one 24" 144Hz running over Dual link DVI. This is fine with the GTX 760 I'm using right now as it has 2 Dual link DVI and HDMI ports, BUT the card I'm looking at: (GTX 1070) amazon.de/dp/B01J5ZJHWW/
Seems to have only 1 DVI-D, 1 HDMI and 3 Displayport.
What do?

Looking at getting some good cooling, found interesting model in electronics outlet. They sent me pics today, and it does not look great. Is it fixable/worth buying?

I do it on windows 10 using the digital audio mixer. Make the digital audio mixer record sound from the speaker output and then set your headset to listen from the audio mixer device.

You will probably need to mess with the gain in each device though, i get lots of clipping with the sliders turned up.

Does Windows 7 not require activation anymore?
I just installed it in a VM, skipped the serial number, and there's no activation warning now

It'd be helpful if you told us what software they're using if you know. Also, they definitely can't see your activity before they install the filter.

Can anyone identify these? I think 2 is HTC HD2, but I got no clue of the others.

help please

What does this little colored edge in uMatrix mean? I don't get it.

stop nicking people's phones Ronaldo

How do i get into IT? what learning materials/resources do i need? what tests/certifications do i need and how long before i can start working?

Anyone?

since u use windows, try a live buntu boot disk. THen see if partition mounts. If mounts ok, then copy.

Testing to see if j am banned before I answer

quick question about freesync black screen flicker.

I've owned 1440p 144hz monitor for a week now paired with rx 580. the screen constantly flashes black for few seconds then comes back to normal. connector is display port

I have tried everything in google but no avail. is this the case of shitty amd drivers?

OK, so here's the rundown/tldr: IT sucks ass and unless you're one of those kids who is aiming to get a higher level position right out of the gate, the real way that most normal people get in is by taking a shit job and working their way up. E.g. help desk, fixing printers, that kind of thing. Then you get hired internally. Also when you go this route the company will tell you what you need, so you're not spending money on random shit and hoping something sticks. A lot of people have A+ and this does help but it depends on your area. I'm happy to answer any more questions.

Now I have a question:

Whats the best music player on andrtiod? I use pulsar, but it doesn't have playlists. Or mutli directory ablities. Its also closed source I think.

I bought a HGST/Hitachi Travelstar with 1tb 1-2 months ago because my old one crashed and now it started making a single clicking sound every 3-5 seconds, sometimes longer. It started just today, but I think it was there weeks ago and went away. Should I be concerned?
I stressed the hdd heavily the last couple of weeks (running an OS from it + hundreds of gbs of torrenting), but wasn't Hitachi supposed to last longer than that? Even my Seagate crashed after 10 years...

To avoid spending money i literally dont have what is the most basic certification to get? i'm seeing names like A+, cisco, comptia and so on but i've not the foggiest idea what to go for.

I'm in debt from trade school and im floating on pitiful 250 usd paychecks every two weeks flipping burgers so i've no real idea if i can qualify for any more FAFSA loans for any sort of schooling...

A cursory search on indeed is showing my town is full of IT jobs way the hell out of my league...

Is my gpu or cpu or display shitting itself?

I'm trying to install Windows 7 by usb since mu PC has no optical drive. I keep getting the message "Load Driver: A required CD/DVD drive device is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, or USB flash drive, please install now". Was I supposed to install the drivers for my PC components before OS installation? What do?

I can boot in safe mode please help

If you can boot into safe mode it is likely the gpu, take your comp to a local shop for testing

google.com/amp/s/www.howtogeek.com/howto/9585/how-to-setup-a-usb-flash-drive-to-install-windows-7/amp/

drivers are installed after via windows update

The storage on my server is almost completely filled up so I need a new harddrive. At the moment it contains an ssd on which the OS is installed, a Seagate 2tb (5900rpm) drive and a WD Red 2tb (7200rpm) drive (I can't seem to find the 7200rpm version anymore where I live). I need a new drive and have no idea if I should just buy another 2-3tb wd red that has a lower rpm of just cheap out on a 3tb seagate desktop drive with 7200rpm. I don't run any raid setups so will it make any diffrence if I got a server hdd or just a desktop hdd it would just hold some video files. Drives will turn to a standby mode after some idle time right?

I reinstalled driver and it got fixed, woaw

I've already created a bootable us. It's pic related that keeps popping up once I try to install the OS. I checked to make sure sure all my components like my RAM and HDD we're are functioning, which they are. Is it asking for the driver installation CDs? If so, how would I install them without an optical drive, maybe copy the files from the driver CD to a USB?

Bump...getting paranoid here and would appreciate some input

tomshardware.com/answers/id-2041469/windows-installation-required-dvd-drive-device-driver-missing.html

it seems you click cancel, unplug your usb stick then plug it back in to a DIFFERENT usb port and it should resume the installation, if it doesnt i would redownload a new iso copy and format the stick and try making a new usb installer as the iso could potentially be incomplete/corrupt

Looked at the articles you've linked before and tried that already. My motherboard and case has four 1.1/2.0 USB ports, and Ive tried booting from each. Hence why I'm posting here.

Try booting up from a USB2 port desu

The clicking sound is made by the little arm that writes data to the hard drive platters is the likely culprit however i recommend you backup your data and run a check disk if your hard drive has a lot of bad sectors it may be on its way out.

instructions for check disk crucial.com/usa/en/support-system-maintenance-repair-hard-drive-errors

At the screen youre on right now, click cancel then unplug the usb stick and reinsert it to a different port and see if it resumes im not asking you to restart the whole installation process.

my router started showing as a pc in my home network

dafug?

The botnet has started

Yeah, that's not working either.

i'm really getting paranoid over this

few days back the router was working poorly, couldn't get stable connection, slow as fuck and even got some weird "wan connection lost" errors i've never seen before

then it suddenly started working well and now it shows this extra "pc"

You should be willing to either commute pretty far or relocate entirely. If you're flipping burgers, you'll probably be pretty happy to get some kind of $11/hour help desk position and work your way up from there. A+ is a basic cert but I'm not sure if you really "need" it, although it does help in a lot of cases I'd say. The most important part is just getting your foot in the door somewhere. I live near Detroit and I have friends who started by applying to a lot of companies, having resumes with a bunch of skills listed, being able to rattle off a bunch of Sup Forums jargon in the interview, being in school for related things, etc. Basically, lie/embellish/do your best to sell yourself. Your local loan office isn't looking for the next Steve Jobs to fix printers.

You could also consider software development if you can hack it, that is something which requires literally nothing other than the ability to do the job.

Click browse and repeat the process if not then you've got a bummed install and you'll need to cancel+format and try redownloading a different ISO into your usb stick

Unless you're running third party firmware you're fine, ignore it if you want but make sure no ports are open and again if there isnt any because you dont know how to open them in the first ace you're totally fine

I also suggest NOT getting Cisco certs unless you know you need them, i.e. you get hired in as help desk and you find out that the company has an open network engineer position, you ask your manager and he tells you the job is yours if you get [CCNA/insert cert here], and they'll usually pay for it. Don't just willy nilly get a random Cisco cert and expect that to get you a job—that's bullshit and you'll probably just waste money.

Personally I think software dev is the way to go, a lot of people make 30-50k out of the gate pretty easily and for someone flipping burgers that is some decent coin, and you don't need a degree. There are no real programming certs. Just have a github, contribute to open source projects, have real projects under your belt, etc.

commuting/relocating is nigh impossible as i have 6bux in my bank acct so i will shelve this idea for now...

Get some credit cards and when the time comes, put your moving expenses on them. 15-20% APR is nothing on a couple thousand bucks. Do you have a car? You have to be ready to do some mildly uncomfortable things if you want to move up in the world. You can't just stay in your comfort zone and flip burgers.

its not a comfort zone thing, i have no car of my own let alone any help getting any consistent transportation i have no credit to speak of and 6000 dollars of debt i cant even pay interest on as my simple earnings go to food or incidentals shit i cant even afford a laptop to study this stuff on.

i dont even know if i even could qualify for any credit having only worked 2 months so far...

You have a defeatist attitude. Maybe you're gonna have to ride the bus with black people and shower at the gym. It sucks but it can be done.

get yourself a navy suit at your local thrift store, make sure the shoulders and arm holes fit (that's all that matters), have it tailored a little bit, tell the tailor you can't afford much but you want to look ok for your first interview

honestly for IT in my area you just have to show up in a dress shirt and slacks and not be completely socially retarded

push .__.

Im not sure if this is a stupid question or not, but does anyone here have experience with Ethernet over power? Is it reliable? Im in a situation RN where I cant run the cable through the wall, and have been using wifi. Id like to set up a switch in my room off of something like
amazon.com/TP-Link-Powerline-Adapter-Starter-TL-PA2010KIT/dp/B00AWRUIY4/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1505743443&sr=1-3&keywords=ethernet over power

Have you guys ever used something like this? How does the latency compare to wifi?

what coloured edge? you mean the green upper left corner?

good program to convert lots of wmv into mp4/mkv?

Someone with some options?

Yes!

Would Facebook flag suspicious activity on a device already logged in if it were a thousand miles away from the regular user?

this thing informs you about changes that are saved. any temporary changes will be without it

Can i disable my GPU in gigabyte BIOS so it would use onboard gpu, but the main GPU can still be in PCI-e slot idling

Not him, but why is finding IT work in NYC damn near impossible?

>Not him, but why is finding IT work in NYC damn near impossible?
highly competitive? not sure
you probably have to take really shit pay relative to the COL even hours outside of the city

I don't live anywhere near NYC

What OS should I put on this little sucker?

Bear in mind its a 2gb - intel atom - integrated gpu.

Comes with win 8.0 originally, upgraded through 8.1 and 10 (i liked 10 the best) through all kinds of driver problems (especially for the camera which is breddy gud).

But it seems to slow down more and more nd I want to move to something sleek and fast, but with a nice gui. I have been using ubuntu a lot before, but I'd be ready to try something new. Suggestions?

forgot pic

Clean music player by Michael Howell been working fine for me since 2013
Will be sad when some android update breaks it eventually

W7 or Debian
have a very similar one and use it for torrenting. 18W is not 140W

I can use "LAlt+Left" shortcut to go back in Chrome. But "RAlt+Left" doesn't work, why is that? In general RAlt seems to behave differently in some ways

>18W is not 140W

what did you mean by that?

Try to remount it?

Call it something like aaaaaashit. Didn't know you couldn't use ! though

Very reliable but will depend on house wiring so UK with round circuits is shit I imagine, with aus wiring I had no problems will likely need extra cable if your tower is not directly above power socket included cables are super short
One problem I did run into is the units not linking but cycling its power always fixes that so put the computer side one on a separate socket to computer powerboard so you can cycle it easier this only seems to happen when pc is fully turned off then on btw
All in all betterthanwifi/10

Watts. thingie vs PC

Also forgot to mention if you do get one diffently get the ones with power passthrough unless your house has more than the usual 2 sockets per room

Yeah I usually go for something more tag-like, just one specific character to move folders to the top (and using multiple to have multiple folders on the top). Right now I'm using [1] to try and me it look somewhat nice.
It looks horrible though

please help

Okay, so here's the skinny.

>1 video card, 1050ti
>2 monitors with speakers via HDMI
>1 headset via USB

So, I want 1 monitor to display Netflix/TV/Whatever the fuck, and have it's own independent audio output

And, I want another monitor to have my game/alternate program with it's on independent audio output

And then I want my headset to have it's own independent audio output for my discord/FPS game

Basically I need to be able to assign certain programs to output their audio to certain devices, but I can't figure out how to do that. Most I can do is set SOME programs up to certain outputs, but not ALL.

I.E. Discord I can get through my headset no problem, but my TV app/Video games just want to go through whatever the 'default sound output' device is set to, and sometimes it'll alternate between which monitor it thinks I want to be the default output too, despite what monitor it's actually being displayed on.

Is there some great audio manager program I'm missing out on?

If it's on the network just change your MAC address, or steal the address of something else on the network that wouldn't be monitored, like a smart TV or some shit

Alright, time for a very stupid question.

I work from home with my PC that's fast and I love to death, but I also bought a laptop in 2015 to use for meetings and going to my office.

toshiba.co.uk/discontinued-products/satellite-l50d-b-151/ - This is the laptop I bought. It was the best value for money at the time and I couldn't find a single bad review. However, I find it so slow that I end up staying home and not going to my office, but I'd love to go to my office more or even be a pretentious piece of shit and work at cafés.

Could someone take a look at the specs and tell me if it should be slow (e.g. bad processor) or whether I'm just spoiled by my SSD computer?

why do my youtube tab favicons looks so indecisive?

The botnet is trying to communicate with you

youtube.com/watch?v=cLnDxM4O_eg

Is this good video on cleaning PC parts?

Does someone has a "Sup Forums approved windows programs" image? anyone will do

most of that it probably overkill unless you're putting your parts literally on display
most of the time, the machine just needs to be clean /enough/ to avoid bad contacts (such as ram), bad airflow (such as dust build up on fans), and also when replacing thermal pastes (cpu/gpu)
compressed air (bulk dust removal), alcohol wipes (contacts/thermal paste removal), and a static-free brush or dry wipes for things like fan fins covers all the important stuff

yes, someone does (seen them posted before)

there's a recommended software page on the wiki, screenshot it

Does anybody know if Adata xpg z1 ddr4 3000hz can be oc'd to 3200hz?

Does Sup Forums recommend which ISP to get? I'm in the market for a new one.

I fucking hate current Firefox, my add-ons won't fucking work.

I'm currently on Xubuntu 17.04, and I'm trying to get Firefox-ESR, but the releases are for the LTS versions, so I can't get it. Wat do?

Is there a good fork that I can install somehow? I used to use Iceweasel.

Static free brush is enough for PCB's? Damn, I should have known

I made a pc out of spare parts for shits and giggles

I only had a 20 pin PSu and i tried conencting it to a 24 pin ASUS A8-NE

Some googling shows that its hit or miss when doing that, guess i just missed?, or did i just break my old crap

Is it a good practice to do this for a web page?

all header content

all body content

Or is that too redundant?

Has anyone installed Crimson 17.9.1 drivers to HD 7000 series? I'm running 7870 Tahiti and my overclocks don't work at all. Afterburner sticks the core clock at 500mhz and drops the memory clock to something riddiculous when I try to apply my profile. The overclock tool included in the drivers makes makes weird glitches even with a meager 50mhz overclock.

someone help

windows 10 64 bit