/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago (outdated - blame /csg/)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Samsung finally allows you to disable the Bixby key
gsmarena.com/samsung_allows_disable_bixby_key-news-27320.php

Xiaomi to launch 32GB storage variant of Mi Max 2
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_launches_32gb_storage_variant_of_mi_max_2-news-27325.php

Huawei G10 appears in live images
gsmarena.com/huawei_g10_live_images-news-27324.php

Samsung to build its own 1,000 fps camera to challenge Sony
gsmarena.com/samsung_will_reportedly_build_its_own_1000_fps_camera_to_challenge_sony-news-27323.php

Nokia 9 renders show a bezel-less design
gsmarena.com/nokia_9_renders_show_a_bezelless_design-news-27321.php

Retail box leak confirms key specs for upcoming vivo X20
gsmarena.com/retail_box_leak_reveals_complete_spec_sheet_for_upcoming_vivo_x20-news-27319.php

Motorola has silently removed all references to its Moto G4 Oreo update promise
gsmarena.com/motorola_has_silently_removed_all_references_to_its_moto_g4_oreo_update_promise-news-27316.php

old

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_A11
blog.motorola.com/2017/09/14/say-hello-android-oreo/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Should I get OnePlus 5, Moto z2 force, or Pixel XL post XL2 price drop

Should I get the Samsung Galaxy S8 or the Motorola Z2 Force?

Thanks for not using my clearly superior image that I posted in the previous threads.

Why can't I just install Debian or something on my phone? Would it run like shit or decently? My understanding is Debian has an arm build so I don't see why it wouldn't run alrught

Hey I'm looking for a 3 to $400 phone in Canuck been watching the g5 and Moto so far any recommendations,
Would like it be durable,
Good battery life and if it has removable battery packs the better.

>Germany
>Up to 750€
>you should be able to use it with one hand, so not too big

I want to get a new smartphone that will last me some years. Im not really into customization, so ios should be fine too I guess.

you should get laid

Hey /spg/, my phone just broke and I need something to hold me over for a few months while I'm out of town doing stuff. I plan to just stop by the walmart here (its a small town, but just big enough for walmart) and grabbing a cheap prepaid phone for some light use - Casual games, some messaging apps, and web browsing/videos.

I've been looking up some reviews for products this morning and narrowed it down to a couple, I'm looking to keep it in the 50-80 price range.

Samsung Galaxy J3 emerge or luna and the LG K87 are some options I'm looking at. there's a bigger list available from the store I'm closest to, but those two caught my eye. Any thoughts/help guys?

Device drivers would be shit I bet.

Russia
~6000 ruble
Decent cfw support and not a piece of shit

OP5.

> should be able to use it with one hand, so not too big
P10, S7.

These are both enourmoues pieces of shit. get a BLU R1 2/16 from Amazon, or Moto E4.

i am lei wit ur MOTHR evry nite bich boi

What are some essential root programmes / things to do? So far I've used lucky patcher on a few things and installed busybox (obviously). What else is there to do? Already on that custom ROM too.

>Moto E4
I see one for around 40-50 bucks so i think that one might help me more than waiting some days for a new phone - I'm in urgent need of one in the next day so ordering from Amazon isn't quite as good.

what's the benefits of this over the other two? the specs seem very similar, though I'm not quite well versed smartphones.

Should've gotten it right in the first place
My images have been used several times

why is that anime girl phone recent apps button so huge

LG V20 is the only decent "flagship" in recent years that still has removable battery.

S8 is the best if you can afford it

More RAM and faster SoC, the other 2 you mentioned are both slower.

anyone staying on marshmallow becuase of xposed? wonderong how much im missing with the nougat update.

Because paedophilia is against the law.

Oh word, thanks a ton for the help, sorry for being inexperienced!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_A11

If you don't use smartphones with the world's fastest smartphone SoC, KILL YOURSELF

Is a ios phone better than a android phone in a similar price class?

So, be a brand whore so you can have a powerful chip? Fuck off pajeet

Xposed for nougat? Specific gravity box I think thank you

Yes. iPhone destroys Samsung

does encrypting your phone lower the storages lifespan?

How so?

Not really. Encryption after installation is kinda useless anyway though.

Bought a oneplus as it looked pretty much perfect lads

The memey placement of the fingerprint sensor on the samshit models really put me off and their general uggo design

The 1080 pentile display worries me but for $430 I paid for my OP5 I can't complain

what to do with my S6 lads?

>Encryption after installation is kinda useless anyway though.
how so?

What's a good S5 replacement for £20 per month? Or should I buy outright and get a contract sim

I imported an OP5 from the states using sneaky memes the pricing there is gr8

Tell me more

During setup there's only one vector (the installer) that could compromise integrity. This is mitigated using open source installers of course and leaves only oversights as attack platforms. Otherwise anything that's running better be trusted... Good luck once networking is established too

Sony Xperia XZ1 compact, Samsung Galaxy A3 2017

>what to do with my S6 lads?
Wipe it and sell it

Just got the otterbox defender for my note 8.

Pricey, but this feels like quality.

Won't be having this on all the time, only when I'm outside being retarded.

The ability to lock in the the phone with the shell is just what I wanted.
And it doesn't look like some kind of fucking cyborg wallet.

Nokia 8 du depp

Is the LeEco Le Pro 3 a good purchase for $200 on ATT in the US if I flash LineageOS? Will I have to be concerned about security updates?

It has Snapdragon 821 which looks nice.

Why is your headphone jack and USB port blocked by that case?

Congrats on spending $70 when you could have got the same protection for less than half that
Yes, it's a good buy as long as you don't mind having to use OTG dongles for extra storage, there's a good amount of LOS support, as well as modified Stock ROMs so there's lots to choose

It's the defender so they're blocked by plugs to prevent dust exposure and in case you drop your phone in a puddle/toilet/etc

Damn note 8 looks hot

>regular headphones being reconized as headset with mic problems.
>have to do battery pull when i reboot phone
>throttles when gaming
did i get bad LG G3 or is this the norm?

lgv20 a good yograde from g3?

Decided to take a family photo. Sadly I don't have my nokia 3310 anymore.
Had to use familymembers old s4mini until the note 8 for a few months.
HTC one X was impressive to last like 6 years.

Voilá.

Thanks!

It's a real treat to handle. I lay at night just touching it.

You're an idiot which explains spending $80 after buying an $800 phone so you can have an e-peen, YOU'RE WELCOME!

First it was 70, now it's 80?
Case cost me 60!

And things aren't as cheap in the US as they are in europe.

Is the s7 a good phone and edge is not worth it right?

Whatever, congrats on your e-peen

i like the look of edge

but yeah s7 it is a good phone.

or get nokia 8

HTC one x is a nice phone.
>get on bus
>see one on the seat
>so password
>open facebook
>its a nigga
>dump sim
>factory reset

my mom wants a phablet, what's the biggest phone you guys got?
her current phone is an GS4.

s7 is good phone
imo edge is worthless gimmick shit just to drive the price of the phone higher

Thanks!

Are you sure it wasn't the selfie cam you saw?

The phone was very comfortable to use, nice back and the overall shape.
The usb-port on the side was quite annoying though.

after 4 years i need a new battery for my samsung s4 mini

where do i buy a decent one if im EU and all the reviews on amazon are shit?

Get a new phone, it's ain't worth it.

>Excited that the Note 8 came out right before my 2-year contract expires
>Go online to check price after discount
>[spoiler]Sprint[/spoiler] got rid of 2-year contracts and I can only lease the phone or buy it full price

Looks like I'm keeping my S6 for a while longer.

Is it smart to try and get a cheaper plan since there's no point to keeping the 2-year contract one?

I'm an idiot because I made a thread about this but is this a good case? What materials and designs are good for cases? Will never be in a pocket, only my bag

>Is this a good case?

>I'm an idiot
Indeed.

F-fuck

why are these smart phones so valuable?

Just buy the cheapest one they have for my carrier outright, and put my SIM card in and call it a day

I hardly even use the thing unless I want to google something stupid, or check the time.

?

Help me decide, currently have a Z5 Compact. Wanting a slighty bigger screen and good specs, currently deciding between Nokia 8, Samsung S8 and Oneplus 5.

Pros for Nokia 8 is clean Android, Pros for S8 is dust and waterproof. Oneplus is just value.

OnePlus is also clean Android, but some very nice additions

It's for this, my first post↓↓↓
But honestly, forget it. This seems much more cosmetic than it is propective. Phone case brand recommendations?

yeah oneplus has a really good android skin, better than stock tbqh

It's just a fucking case, stop overthinking it you cuck.

I got a nilkin silicone case for 5€ for my OP3T off of Ali. Pretty nice, buttons work a lot better than 1€ case for gf's nexus 5x and has a cover for charging hole to protect against dust and humidity

The iPhone X is an abomination. But what about the iPhone 8 Plus? Or would you rather go for the iPhone 7 Plus?

True. I tried los and paranoid, but went back to open beta

My LG G4 bootlooped, and now I'm on the search for a new phone. Thinking either the iPhone 6S or the regular Galaxy S7. Any suggestions, Sup Forums?

Nokia 8
Op5

bump

genuinely curious as to what is driving this market

I mean aside from mobile google, what else is there? What features truly matter to your for these things to be so expensive?

whats the best lg phone for 150 bucks, or should i buy a iphone se

>Since the time of posting this, we have learned of some errors in our marketing materials around Android O upgrades for moto g4 Plus. It’s our general practice for the moto g family to get one major OS upgrade per device, so it wasn’t originally planned for Android O. But it’s important to us we keep our promises, so in addition to the N upgrade it has already received, we will be upgrading moto g4 Plus to Android O. Because this is an unplanned upgrade, it will take some time to fit into our schedule, we’ll update our software upgrade page when we have more info.

blog.motorola.com/2017/09/14/say-hello-android-oreo/

>we have learned of some errors in our marketing materials
Yeah, right.

>It’s our general practice for the moto g family to get one major OS upgrade per device
So this is a thing now.

>xz1 compact
>iphone se

Should I get a Note 8 or wait for the Pixel 2 XL?

Is it possible to root a new phone? If so, which one?

I got the note 8 and I fucking love it.

I was close to get the s8+ but I'm glad I waited. The s-pen is a really nice tool. But I'm also into drawing, so I guess I'm biased.

If you really use the phone a lot, it's worth it.

Biggest phone would be the Mi Mix.

Are the rumors of an updated SE in Q1-2 2018 credible?

I am sick of 5.5 inch phones which you can't really use efficiently with one hand and am considering either the 6s or SE.

If the updated SE comes out in, say, May, I can wait as my nexus hasn't slowed down a bit and can last me until them.

oneplus usually has a good community.

Is there any large (5.5"+), bezelless flagship with a headphone jack and a rear facing fingerprint reader?

I basically just want a bezelless Nexus 6P with a better battery.

I've had a Samsung Galaxy Alpha for just over two years and the battery's getting really shit, are there any chink sites or whatever that I can buy a new battery off?

>bezeless
>rear facing fingerprint reader
well where else would the put it?

woah

Scratched my phone's screen a little, now whatever coating is on it seems to be flaking off very slowly. Also, I get a prickling sensation in my thumb for a while when I swipe across the scratched area. Is that shit harmful?

bump

Dumbfuck shitskin. Fuck off.

I'm white.

Can the people who whine about too small bezels post a picture of how they hold their phone? I can't imagine any way to grip the phone that this could possibly be an issue.

are lg phones even worth it, or are they boot loop memes.

I'm thinking about Huawei P10 Lite.

In Finland and need an upgrade from my ancient Nexus 4 which I can barely power on anymore.

Budget is about €222 (P10 Lite is at this price on sale at the moment).

I don't like big phones, I require expandable storage, a none shit CPU and preferably not to order from chinkland.

Iphone x or note 8? Both would be the highest capacity options.