/lgbt/ Libreboot General Thread

Welcome to /lgbt/ Libreboot is the Greatest BIOS Thread!
Beginners feel free to ask questions!

More info about the project:
libreboot.org/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libreboot
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=libreboot

Helpful resources:
Flashing the X60 internally (easy)
youtube.com/watch?v=1K5jo9gk9LQ

Flashing the X200/T400 externally (advanced)
youtube.com/watch?v=CyxgYnOcsTw

So Sup Forums why haven't you installed the only BIOS that actually respects your freedom, privacy, and human rights by using no proprietary firmware and disables the Intel (NSA backdoor) ME?

>inb4 the dev is a tranny and drama queen
That's a red herring and has no bearing on the project
The dispute with GNU was resolved several months ago
youtube.com/watch?v=FQCwYAhZnQg

>inb4 no compatible system
You can literally get a ThinkPad X200 for $50 on ebay

>inb4 no beaglebone/pi for external flashing
You can get an X60 for internal flashing or use a Libreboot flashing service (about $50) on ebay for X200/T400

>inb4 that hardware is ancient
An X200 will pretty much do anything besides "muh gaymin" plus there are some descent mobo's that support Libreboot for an Intel or AMD desktop system (see below)

Compatible Laptops/Boards:
Server boards: Asus KFSN4-DRE and Asus KGPE-D16
Desktop boards: Asus KCMA-D8, Intel D510MO, Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L, and Apple iMac 5,2
Laptops: Asus Chromebook C201, Lenovo ThinkPad X60/X60s, Lenovo ThinkPad X60 Tablet, Lenovo ThinkPad T60 (some exceptions), Lenovo ThinkPad X200, Lenovo ThinkPad R400, Lenovo ThinkPad T400, Lenovo ThinkPad T500, Apple MacBook 1.1, and Apple MacBook 2.1

Friendly F/OSS shout out to Talos II, the upcoming fully libre hardware platform:
raptorcs.com/TALOSII/prerelease.php

Other urls found in this thread:

libreboot.org/news/talos.html
youtu.be/bw58LZTuZjA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

cool

Glad to see libreboot pushing the Talos II

libreboot.org/news/talos.html

That pic's been bothering me for a while, so I fixed it.

Did I just see more hardware supported?

isn't MacOS less proprietary than Windows?

The stolen BSD parts yes, but that was always open. The GUI on the other hand, even Windows APIs are more open.

How was it stolen?

I know what you mean but I trust less in Microsoft

How do we know libreboot doesn't have a backdoor? or a vulnerability that might as well be one?

>lgbt

cause it's open source dum dum

Yes, this is the Libreboot is the Greatest BIOS Thread. What's so funny about that user?

Doesn't mean anything. There was an 8 year old kernel bug that went unnoticed.

>dat Libreboot videos
Based Luke Smith.

>hurr, le sjw boogieman XD
Fuck off you 65% white Nazi larper, Leah Rowe did nothing wrong.

it's committed to regularly and openly. Loads better than not even knowing that much. Any other issues would crop up in any similar proprietary project.

Luke didn't hate on her at all, he just gave an unbiased look at what happened over the controversy with GNU.

This.

You're right user, better use the proprietary BIOS and Intel ME that you can't audit and has known security holes at this very moment.

Very excited about Talos II

NSA shills will be on suicide watch when that starts shipping out.

Friendly GNU+Bump

X220 support, real or fake?

In the works.

To all the 126 customers.
NASA/FBI will probably be pretty satisfied. The list of people having ordered will probably have pretty good yield of criminals/suspects once they go through it.

Lots of "just autists" cases too, of course, but still.

Will we get a confirmation so i can buy an X220 now and librebot at the end of the year?

I'm wondering if there has been any pentesting on coreboot or libreboot. Or is just hacked together open sores code that is probably quicker to break than proprietary.

this meme is backwards, faggot. You're supposed to put the assumed worst choice as the biggest brain. Also FOSS compliant drivers are objectively worse than the proprietary drivers, the only reason to use FOSS shit is because you think you're on some moral high ground. If you're actually doing work FOSS is a complete waste of time and resources.

Here's a video of someone who actually contributes to LINUX shitting on FOSS: youtu.be/bw58LZTuZjA

the whole point of the fucking meme is the ironic last panel

add on more ascended panel at the end, and label it "Windows ME", then it's funny

knowyourmeme says it can go either way

I'm calling BULLSHIT on that chart. I know for a fact that you can get 85% of the performance using nouveau compared to the proprietary nvidia garbage drivers.

patience is a virtue, it's coming

It's vastly more secure because all of the code has been audited. Plus the ROM's are more secure because they only do the essential tasks to start the system, nothing more. Unlike the NSA backdoor Intel ME that has more holes in it than swiss cheese.

Go fuck yourself you fucking boot licking shill.

Question: Let's say I bought a Librebooted Thinkpad from Ebay and I wanted to upgrade the processor. Will Libreboot still work with the new processor that is the same generation and compatible with the motherboard?

Yes it will work. Libreboot applies to the motherboard, not the CPU. Just keep in mind that not all Thinkpads can have the CPU upgraded, some are soldered to the mobo.

Can the X200s be librebooted?

>knowyourmeme
more like killyourself

T400 here. Great laptop. I ended up switching over to Coreboot though, which was easy because Libreboot makes BIOS chip write protection from the OS optional. My main reason for switching is that the included GRUB payload would occasionally throw up an error in which it said that it can't locate a bootable kernel or hard drive or something like that. Well, I'm not about to debug my fucking BIOS. So I flashed Coreboot with SeaBIOS which then boots GRUB 2 off the main disk and it works great. I also didn't flash back any ME firmware or modules after uninstalling Libreboot and it doesn't show up in my PCI devices so I guess that's all good. Boot times are also faster by like 3 seconds but that doesn't really matter.

Thank you very much for the response. I wanted to upgrade the CPU but hesitated in case it might not work.

Yes, it's just a little more challenging due to the location of the chip.

does any of the thinkpads have pcima?
We need external gpus so we can play video games.

Yes, most thinkpads have it.

Ok, so why arnt there guides on using an external gpu with these guys. This is the one thing stopping me from going into full libreboot mode.

That, and there is one proprietary game I have to play.

I've seen people use external GPU on thinkpads before, but I have no idea if it would work with libreboot. Are video games more important than freedom?

Its a free to play game...
And you have the freedom to play as much as you want.

That is legit. I'd switch to windows if they stopped supporting linux+gnu

ubuntuser here.

kys

How about libreboot for raspi and odroid?

Is that the open source hardware thing?

RISC-V raspberry pi equivalent when

>an eGPU for runescape
what fucking year is this