This thread is about the appreciation of horology...

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for newbies:
[YouTube] Watch Movements: "How a Watch Works" 1949 Hamilton Watch Company

>Strap Guide: pastebin.com/SwRysprE
>Watch Essentials 102: pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Other urls found in this thread:

monochrome-watches.com/technical-perspective-hairspring-technology-manufacturing-process-developments/
autodromo.com/watches/groupb-red/
forums.watchuseek.com/f2/my-tudor-black-bay-midnight-experience-1059199-3.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

if you're going to insist on watch threads, at least put the header in the subject so people who think it's a thin pretext to talk about wristwatch fashion can hide it.

First for terrorist watch best watch

since it's not a watch thread I will again ask for recommendations for a skeleton desk clock

>macro

How much would you pay for a Lord Matic in great shape?

5th for SHITTTERRSSSSSSS

is silicon hairspring inferior?

monochrome-watches.com/technical-perspective-hairspring-technology-manufacturing-process-developments/

is there a way to sync a mechanical timepiece with an external time source? wouldn't a crappy quartz with nightly bluetooth ntp client sync be better than $10K mechanical with manual sync?

No, there isn't, quartz is just objectively better.

New thread or no?

You posted my Poljot I see.
Most accurate soviet watch I own, it's easily within 10 seconds during a day

>Ctrl+F "/wt/"
>0 results

>whorology

>is there a way to sync a mechanical timepiece with an external time source?
Yeah, you pull the crown out, and set the damn time.

Ah yes, user! I also love the Apple Watch S3.

so my my next project can be a NTP enabled crown depressor that I load my watch into at bedtime

> wouldn't a crappy quartz with nightly bluetooth ntp client sync be better than $10K mechanical with manual sync?

Only if you think having 0.1 spd accuracy is the single reason to own a watch. But if you think that you may as well skip quartz and go straight for an iPhone.

the clockwork is awesome and a tech wonder, I was just interested in modern solutions to these old issues

>it's easily within 10 seconds during a day

You mean this is a good number in the world of watches?

What the fuck?

Mine is 0 seconds a day accurate at all times.

Do people unironically pay hundreds and thousands for shitters that do not keep 0 seconds a day?

I use a quartz watch everyday, but i have a soft spot for soviet dress watches wich i use in dressy situautions. 2/5 made me reply.

It's pretty good for crusty slavshit.

why do people drive manual or read on paper or cook on campfires when there are demonstrably superior alternatives.

>sometimes knowing where you came from helps you appreciate where you are and can even guide you on where to go next

also men's jewellery but ya know

Manual because it's good to have control, clutch pedal is for retards though.

Fire is good overall.

So are watches that tell the precise time, regardless if I need the precise time or not, because that's why I wear a watch for, otherwise you can look at the sun and more or less know the time

>drives manual
>drive by wire
>better control
???????

a few seconds in exchange for gears and springs is worth it for me

also I won't criticise but I don't see the point of manual without a clutch because for me it's knowing how all the parts work and fit together. involving a CPU ruins it for me. I drive automatic now because I'm old and boring :)

I actually want pic related. But man they aren't cheap.

good job not labeling the thread /wt/ so i couldn't find it

This looks like something you would see on the child of a welfare recipient along with new baby Jordan's.

hey put /wt/ in op because I ctr+f 'wt' in the catalog

Is that some rare model that people like because it sold poorly or something?

I only know enough about g-shocks to think that the GW-M5610 + GW-5000 are the only ones actually worth buying.

what model is this?

Am I the only one who'd pay top dollar for a Casio like this with a metal case and a harder "crystal"?

> But man they aren't cheap.
> $65

my sides

HELL NO
I mean I'd like some more functions and perhaps a nicer backlight and a quick way to start the stopwatch and atomic syncing BUT
even w/o those I'd buy one.

You could always try to find a Seiko SBPG001 on Yahoo! Japan Auctions.

It has a stainless steel case, solid link solid end-link stainless steel bracelet, solar, radio atomic sync and electroluminescent backlight.

>no title
I'm in Seattle/Vancouver til Friday.
Any good vintage watch stores worth checking out?

>manual clutch for retards
Dumb autobaby detected. You're probably American I guess

This is my grail. I mean, I also want a GS, but that's only expensive, not also rare.

Not as cool as the Kojima.

On par or superior.

Aren't you better off waiting for a smart watch along those lines?

If you're one of those people who likes mechanical watches, would you rather have a quartz grand Seiko or a cheap chink mechanical (ignoring that you could just sell the grand seiko)?

I hate quartz but I'd take the GS, at least it would look decent.

There would be no reason to take the cheap shitter, it has no redeeming features.

Grand Seiko. I already have cheaper mechanical movements and I am as interested in other movements as well as pure mechanical. GS is interesting and different and their finishing is top tier.

I'm thinking of getting an Orient Mako II possibly in blue. Can't really decide.

Anyone have one?

Ray>>>Mako.
Blue is great through.

GS quartz anyday
It's on my grail list. The perfect quartz watch.

Own:
Seiko Snk809
Casio w800h
Casio w59
Skmei 9250 (Bauhaus, not bad)

Current wishlist:
Skx013
Tissot Bauhaus
Timex easy reader (beater)
Casio calculator watch (for fun)

Thoughts? I have small wrists so it has to be below 39mm sadly.

>don't include /wt/ in thread title
>all the shitposters are probably gone
problem solved

Anyone know anything about the Miyota 9015 movement? Thinking about an Autodromo Group B.

It's a decent movement. The one in my group b is pretty accurate. Would've been nice to have something with a micro adjust or bi directional winding though.

It's a decent 28800 bph movement
how much is that watch though?

$925
autodromo.com/watches/groupb-red/

PLS GTFO

That is hilariously, outrageously, Swatch Group tier overpriced.

the movement is usually found in $300 watches

doodoo thread

It makes up for having an unimpressive movement with the finishing of the case, crystal, etc.

well you're here

yeah so?

wholy fuk a nip thinkpad now thats some next level shit

so? suck it up then and show us what you got

oh you'll see kid

>wristlets

ya, with a decent Tudor, what do you have?

just glue the fucking thing to your hand at this point.

>horology

??

>ALL THESE SKINNY LITTLE WRISTS

forums.watchuseek.com/f2/my-tudor-black-bay-midnight-experience-1059199-3.html

probably a troll

kek

nice pieces bitch, which one is your daily?

When I work- a g shock 5610-bjf

When I am home usually the SBDC051, Explorer for events and holidays.

I love the Group B to death, but they can fuck off with that kind of pricing.

nice one

Are these twig arms real or beta re**id meme posts?

I think they're attractive watches, but I'm not sure if I can justify spending that much on it.

Does anyone know where I could get a strap like this?

Looks like the stock one from that Flieger inspired Seiko 5

This one? Looks pretty different to me

Obviously the black version. I have one at home and it looks 95% the same

As the Mack Daddy of Heimlich County, I have a PhD in Whoreology.

Actually that's not quite the same either, my one at home has a fabric loop not metal keepers. I'll take a pic when I get home if I remember but that should give you a decent start point to search

google black canvas 2 piece watch strap there is hundreds like that

chinky chinky wristlet

How do I know that a quartz its's good?
I can get my hands on a 20 dollar quartz that i really like, but its not from a known brand, how do I know it will work and be kinda precise?

Pic related is my newest watch

Do anyone here had ever installed a deployment clasp on a perlon strap?
I kind of want to do this and would like to know how it would look but there is just a few pics of this on google.

I have a digital quartz watch that runs off twenty minutes a day. You could just check to see how good of time it keeps. Check the offset one day, and then check it again the next day.

i imagine the same way you would on any strap except instead of through a hole through a spot in the perlon

Are all quartz made the same way?

All modern generic budget quartz (i.e., stuff that costs less than $100) is made the same way - a tuning-fork shaped quartz crystal that vibrates at 32KHz, an IC that counts the vibrations, and in the case of analog watches, an electromagnetic stepper motor that advances the hands. Accuracy comes down to the quality of the cut of the quartz crystal.

There are various other designs for quartz timekeeping (8KHz quartz with a 256Hz reed motor like the Beta 21, 262KHz quartz from Bulova, a quartz-moderated balance wheel like Luch's, a quartz-moderated tuning fork in the Bulova 224, twin-crystal thermocompensated quartz like Seiko's grand quartz, digital thermocompensated quartz, which is found in all modern high-accuracy quartz, megahertz quartz crystals that don't use a tuning fork shape, etc., etc.), but these are comparably rarer.

Picked this up today. Opinions?

Shouldn't /wt/ be somewhere in the OP?

i personally dislike this design of GShocks (very 90s) but hey it's your purchase you shouldn't care what we think, wear it and be happy

Got this yesterday.

Nah, i don't like the design design, doesn't really rub off on me.

I only got it to beat around while camping or kayaking. It was $50 so I won't be upset if I have to throw it in the trash if I break it. I want to pick up a Ray II or skx009 in a couple of weeks.