Signs your code needs to be refactored:

Signs your code needs to be refactored:
>You have to carefully memorise how to perform tasks rather than it being clear just by the structure of the code.
>You have to keep going back and changing low-level classes to support high-level functionality.
>You use different patterns for different features when they could easily have the same patterns.
>You always have to create multiple classes in a parallel hierarchy just to add a component of a feature.
>It's easy to perform tasks the "wrong" way - bonus points if you've actually done it by mistake.

Currently in the middle of refactoring my own code atm.
At first, needed to write up a quick-and-dirty demo just to get things running, with the full realisation that I needed to refactor before I started working on any further implementation.

>clean
>fast
choose one

with most compiled languages (yes even rust and go), you can have both.

>classes
What are those?

this, you cant have both, specially if you start from scratch and dont use frameworks

You could just learn to live with your shitty code until the project is over and then try to avoid dealing with the code again instead.

Actually, if you do it right, clean code is even faster to write than messy code. You spend more time adding features and less time working around the mess you created.

finally someone with the right programming work ethic. i personally bitchslap anyone in my office who pushes messy code that could just as easily have been written cleanly from the first time, especially if they add comments acknowledging that it's shit

those people are the ones eho save us 5 minutes now and cost us 10 days more in the future

After you've been doing this shit as long as I have, you start to smell bad code as soon as you write it. I haven't had to do a proper refactoring in a long time because as soon as I write something that needs refactoring I rewrite it.

this

a sign of real skill: thinking and writing as one simultaneous process

koders will never get it

bump

The project I'm working on now is a mess. We don't have anyone that can tell the client 'no' or anyone who checks with the client as to what, exactly, it is they want and what the impact will be. This results in us dropping the planned things for release and instead adding small QoL things that help our one point of contact and her department 90% of the time. It's annoying to write up screens and code that takes a day or more to get finished, just to push through QA and production and then have her go "actually, I change my mind I want that entire screen to act like xx instead." This results in the code being an absolute mess with all the reworking we have to do

>The project I'm working on now is a mess. We don't have anyone that can tell the client 'no' or anyone who checks with the client as to what, exactly, it is they want and what the impact will be. This results in us dropping the planned things for release and instead adding small QoL things that help our one point of contact and her department 90% of the time.

Sounds like you don't have a project manager? How can you work like that? Won't your client get pissed off? "You said this would be finished by this and this time, but you havent finished yet" "but we had to add all these small things"

Our project manager is the QA guy. He's close to retirement age and refuses to even look at code. That's not necessarily an issue, but basically if it doesn't involve looking at the UI from the users perspective, he refuses to acknowledge it exists.
As for him actually doing project management stuff, he never says no to the client, makes the other developer and I make up the tickets that the client wants, and then also makes us gather requirements for the tickets. We tried to do daily quick meetings, but that stopped recently for some reason. Our point of contact constantly says "this needs to be done ASAP" and when we confirm with her that we have other also very important things already slated for release she says "no, do this". It's a nightmare

This, and it's also essential that you refactor IMMEDIATELY after you notice a code smell. Don't wait for a dedicated refactoring session. If you keep putting off fixing code smells, they'll build up, and the result will not be small.

Depends. If you have to juggle 5x different features + random requests because whole project hangs on it you get messy as fuck code.

I need to refactor as soon as this Bloody project is done.

>As for him actually doing project management stuff, he never says no to the client, makes the other developer and I make up the tickets that the client wants, and then also makes us gather requirements for the tickets.

Well, it's the client's money. The client is always right as long as they are willing to pay and know that any requests will delay the project.

>Our point of contact constantly says "this needs to be done ASAP" and when we confirm with her that we have other also very important things already slated for release she says "no, do this". It's a nightmare

As long as the client is happy and know this will delay things. As long as they pay, then it's their money and their project.

Sure, I get that. But from our development side of it it's really hard to keep things flowing smoothly when we have to completely rework a ticket because they decided, after it was released, that they want it to do something completely different. Oh, and it needs to be done by tomorrow

>Clean
>Fast to execute
>Fast to write

Choose 1.5f

i too develop games :^)