/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

bellard.org/jslinux/index.html
github.com/jurobystricky/Netgear-A6210
help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver
packages.debian.org/jessie-backports/firmware-amd-graphics
ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2318143&page=2&s=8ece9e51cd0ccdb17d3821af161a9feb
pastebin.com/qqaUJMDC
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Install GuixSD

I used unetbootin to install Manjaro KDE ISO to my flash drive and when I boot from the USB I get a grub unknown file system error. What could be the issue here?

If your iso is a hybrid iso then you can just dd it to your flash drive. It's more reliable than umemebootin for isos that support this.

dd if=majaro_kde.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=2M

Ah alright I'll give that a shot

install Source Mage

Why aren't you running linux in javascript?
bellard.org/jslinux/index.html

Trying to get my wifi dongle working in Manjaro
github.com/jurobystricky/Netgear-A6210
I found this driver for it, but I'm not sure I'm doing this right. Do I just have to make, sudo make install, and then it's installed? Do I have to fuck around with modprobe? How do I go about installing this?

is it true debian will use a lot of power? should i avoid using it on a laptop?

>62498378
hey /flgt/ im new to linux and recently installed debian, as i am new and a basic bitch. for whatever reasons, games that used to run fine like city skylines, now run at sub 1 frame, and i cant run anything 3d. I initially assumed my pc wasn't recognizing my graphics card, but it seem to see it just fine? am i retarted?

What card is it? Do you have the correct drivers installed? Are you running the linux version of games or through wine?

What distro would be appropriate for my mother who uses Windows 10? It works like shit on her laptop and I haven't touched this shit since Windows 7 so I have no idea how to fix it on her ol machine other than installing linux.

Lubuntu with her choice of DE.

Are you using nouveau?

meme

CS is linux native, card is Radeon HD 8670 / R7 250/350, im not sure if have the correct drivers installed, and i dont know how to, or where to install them

Gentoo

help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver
try this and see how it turns out

Can any of you recommend video editing software for Gentoo?
Openshot will not start up for whatever reason (literally no error messages, nothing, running "openshot" in the terminal says "command not found".)
Shortcut isn't in the repository.
Kdenlive is being retarded and not detecting frei0r-plugin so I'm stuck with very basic effects.
Pls halp, I was so happy with Lunix.

thanks user

suppose this
[ 7.044032] [drm] Initialized
[ 7.454237] [drm] radeon kernel modesetting enabled.
[ 7.948270] [drm:radeon_pci_probe [radeon]] *ERROR* radeon kernel modesetting for R600 or later requires firmware-amd-graphics.

means needs firmware

you need this
packages.debian.org/jessie-backports/firmware-amd-graphics
Try finding it in Synaptic.
Helping as I can but I haven't used debian or debian-base in years. Maybe somebody more familiar with it could speak up?

bump

9 times out of 10 "command not found" means exactly what it says. Either the executable is not in the right place (or not installed at all), or your $PATH is not set to what it should be so it's not searching for the executable in the right place.

Did you install it through your distros package manager or did you download it off a website?

It is installed and it was in the right place. The issue is it looks like I can't run Python scripts for whatever reason (and Shortcut is written in Python). Do I need a special package for that? python-exec is merged on my system.
I install everything using portage (emerge [atom])

i have synaptic, but how do i go about searching packages in it? i should mention ive only been using linux for 48 hours, and have already once crashed my system. i've kinda been working of trial by failure. so far ive been able to install discord and steam, and ive managed to get battle.net to launch into the password screen before immediately crashing.

How do you guys download youtube videos? I know youtube-dl exists but also cclive is recommended here.

youtube-dl

You didn't say if you installed it from your package manager or not.
Who owns the executable?
What are the executables permissions?
What is the exact command you're using to try and run it on the command line?

cclive hasn't been updated in 4 years. just use youtube-dl.

try sudo apt-get install apt-xapian-index, that might be causing the search bar to not appear. After that, put in sudo update-apt-xapian-index. If it doesn't appear, reboot and open it again.
>crashed the system in 48 hours
sounds like linux :^) You'll get better at it user, right now fucking things up is a part of the learning experience. Just stick with it and come here when you have issues you can't figure out how to fix.

>Can any of you recommend video editing software for Gentoo?
Yeah, anything that works on any GNU/Linux distro. That isn't the kind of software that would be distro specific, and it would be ridiculous to think otherwise.
>Openshot will not start up for whatever reason (literally no error messages, nothing, running "openshot" in the terminal says "command not found".)
The binary is probably called something else.
>Shortcut isn't in the repository.
Have you tried looking at their official website? Where they point you towards their Github repo? Have you checked the overlays?

I said I installed everything using portage so the fact that Shortcut was installed using a package manager was, sorry for not making that clear.
I tried using both my normal user account and root to run it. I tried opening it up from the "Applications" menu (am using XFCE) which would do nothing and typing "openshot" in the terminal which would return command not found.
I can't remember the permissions, am re-emerging at the moment to check and try again.

I was using Kdenlive and liked it very much except that the startup wizard would ask me to install the breeze-icons and frei0r-plugins, which I did.
Upon relaunching Kdenlive with both packages installed, the correct icons were displayed and the warning about the missing Breeze icon package was gone but the frei0r plugins are allegedly still missing. I couldn't find a single person with the same problem.
I'd honestly rather try to fix that. Any ideas?

I want to use calcurse but i want to sync with my phone in some way. Is that possible?

did you mean to post the same script twice?

>and typing "openshot" in the terminal which would return command not found
See, this doesn't actually rule anything out.
For starters what if it has a different name like "openshot-gtk" or something.

With portage you can figure it out by running
equery f openshot | grep bin

Also whatever that command spits out try running it exactly from that path. Just typing a command without a path on GNU/Linux always searches your $PATH for the command. You want to cut that step out.
So run it directly like "/usr/bin/openshot" or wherever it's located.

I'm guessing it's somewhere in "sbin" which is often not included in your $PATH by default.

>Yeah, anything that works on any GNU/Linux distro. That isn't the kind of software that would be distro specific, and it would be ridiculous to think otherwise.
I know, I just wanted to know if there is any more stuff available in the Gentoo repos.
>Have you tried looking at their official website? Where they point you towards their Github repo? Have you checked the overlays?
Am a brainlet and a newbie to Gentoo and GNU/Linux in general, I still need to look into how overlays work in portage and how to install software outside of the official repos.

Is apt-get update and apt-get install the same script? Like I said I haven't used it in years, my bad if it is. I got it from here
ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2318143&page=2&s=8ece9e51cd0ccdb17d3821af161a9feb

What a general command to identify the init system?

just realized one said update and the other install, my bad

Can i use golang binary, compiled on ubuntu with 4.10, on debian 8?

No problem

Any systemd users ITT?

I was being an idiot and it does indeed have a different name, it was "openshot-qt".
Now it throws up this:
Loaded modules from installed directory: /usr/lib64/python3.4/site-packages/openshot_qt
launch:INFO ------------------------------------------------
launch:INFO OpenShot (version 2.3.4)
launch:INFO ------------------------------------------------
app:INFO openshot-qt version: 2.3.4
app:INFO libopenshot version: 0.1.7
app:INFO platform: Linux-4.12.5-gentoo-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-_i5-6500_CPU_@_3.20GHz-with-gentoo-2.3
app:INFO processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz
app:INFO machine: x86_64
app:INFO python version: 3.4.5
app:INFO qt5 version: 5.7.1
app:INFO pyqt5 version: 5.7.1
logger:ERROR Traceback (most recent call last):
logger:ERROR File "/usr/bin/openshot-qt", line 11, in
logger:ERROR load_entry_point('openshot-qt==2.3.4', 'gui_scripts', 'openshot-qt')()
logger:ERROR File "/usr/lib64/python3.4/site-packages/openshot_qt/launch.py", line 70, in main
logger:ERROR app = OpenShotApp(sys.argv)
logger:ERROR File "/usr/lib64/python3.4/site-packages/openshot_qt/classes/app.py", line 91, in __init__
logger:ERROR from classes import exceptions
logger:ERROR File "/usr/lib64/python3.4/site-packages/openshot_qt/classes/exceptions.py", line 30, in
logger:ERROR from classes.metrics import track_exception_stacktrace
logger:ERROR File "/usr/lib64/python3.4/site-packages/openshot_qt/classes/metrics.py", line 30, in
logger:ERROR import requests
logger:ERROR ImportError
logger:ERROR :
logger:ERROR No module named 'requests'

Am I missing a package?

No.
I'm closing this post

OK, for whatever reason, I can't actually post the command to do this.

But this is one way to find out what your init system is. Follow the hard link.

Now that I don't know about. You might have luck just googling the error about missing requests module. I don't know if that's Qt related or Openshot related though, it could be either I guess.

If still no luck then you might just want to ask on the gentoo forums (assuming you're using gentoo because portage) or maybe even stackexchange

Changed GPUs booted and installed Solus. Everything was normal until the installation finished and it tried to reboot. Now the red LED is blinking and its beeping. No idea why. What could it be ?

Check your mobo for what the led means and then go from there

It's "ls -l" which triggers connection errors. Had the same problems some days ago.
>posted with code tags between - and l

install i3 or i3-gaps

“RAM problem“ but i only changed GPUs and it worked before i installed Solus what the hell ...

its graphics card guy from last thread, i installed what i think was the driver's, and its still shitting itself. tried with lower quality 3d games got the same result's. any ideas?

Fuck it, I'm installing linux. Should I just use the base ubuntu and install a DE later at my pleasing, or do I benefit from picking a flavor from the getgo?

Why does cinnamon sucks so much at cpu usage? There's was a time that this DE was usable but, since some old version that I don't remember till the actual 3.4.6, this shit is burning my fucking notebook.

It was a RAM problem kek
Why did my fucking ram die out od nowhere

which of these should I use?

bin

thanks

having a bit of trouble setting up a dual boot system with win 10. I've read that win10 reserves an EFI boot partition but the 500mb reserved partition is ntfs and efibootmgr demands a fat32 partition. do I really have to create yet another boot partition or is that avoidable with a reasonable amount of effort?

archwiki
dual boot
read it

Install dwm

I'm going to nuke my shit and start again. I have everything critical backed up multiple times both locally and remotely so I don't stand to lose a great deal if shit goes south, but in the event that it does indeed go wrong or I have regrets afterwards, is
sudo rsync -aHAX --exclude=dev/* --exclude=*lost+found/* --exclude=mnt/* --exclude=proc/* --exclude=run/* --exclude=sys/* --exclude=tmp/* --exclude=var/tmp/* --exclude=opt/games/* / /mnt/network/bkup/$(hostname).fs/ 2>$HOME/rsync.error
a good enough command to allow me to restore my shit as painlessly as possible? Is there anything I've missed?
I'd rather not dd because I have a lot of free space and it'd be wasteful. Also don't have a spare disk so that's out.

when did you realize that hjkl is a deprecated meme and start using your arrow keys?

>open file in nano
>jjjlhjljlkhjkl
tldr; never.

When using i3.
>movement: hjkl
>split vertical: v
>split horizontal: ???

hjkl is pretty much everywhere.
Enjoy being cucked with less etc.
I even use it in my browser.

lel

Speaking of nano. How to rice?
>syntax
>indent
>...

You may have misunderstood me. I'm saying I never thought it was deprecated because I try to use it even when it's not a thing.
Programs without hjkl get the boot.

include the syntax files in your nanorc. I think there's a line you can uncomment to include everything in one go.

thanks

Actually the opposite. I just assumed it was a meme from the start and used arrow keys for a long time

But then I started learning about more useful ways to do thing in vim where my hands were always on the home row and using arrows was tedious, so I slowly started finding hjkl extremely useful and more efficient.

Only in vim though (and also firefox with vimfx plugin)
Anywhere else it shows up I usually remap it, like in i3 I completely changed those hotkeys. There's no point in deciding to navigate by keyboard or mouse and always with my right hand, when I could have my left hand do some work

What do you guys think about Solus ?
Looks good but it feels weird to use eopkg

map
map
map
map

If I dual boot Windows 10 and Manjaro, would it be easy to set up encryption for both? Could I just encrypt Windows with BitLocker/VeraCrypt, and encrypt Manjaro at the initial install?

just delete your cheese pizza

Just another non-declarative distro

Is there a signal I can send to rsync to see what file it is currently processing?

Since I can't load mp3 files on Ardour, researching around people say to convert it before.
But I couldn't find any proper tip as to what format I should convert to. What would be a lossy equivalent that Ardour accepts? I could just convert to wav, but this might decay the quality even a bit more, and even if it doesn't I'll have a much bigger filesize for nothing since it won't add any quality.
The same question goes for .opus file.

Are there free equivalents for these files, that would keep a very similar and coherent file in all aspects?

.ogg

Thanks, man. Do you mean for both .mp3 and .opus though?

im trying but arch livecd wont let me because of zsh

How do i install debian to a partition without wiping the entire disk?

--progress

Assuming you're using windows you need to make your partition in that first, then when you boot into the live usb and proceed to install you have to make your own sub partitions to the partition you previously made.
Honestly if you google linux dual boot it'll go into more detail

That's an option, I mean a signal for an already running process that isn''t using any verbosity options. I got it into my head that SIGUSR1 would cause rsync to announce the file it is processing (like tarsnap's ^T) but it just killed it the process. Not sure where I got the idea from, to be honest.

Use a search engine which respects your privacy.

mp3. I don't know about opus, sorry. Never used it.

opus is amazing compact, you get 320 style quality with just 128-192.

im already at the partitioning phase of the install
i partitioned off 800gb for debian
what do i do here to get it to install on it?

What is this

looks fine on my desktop
it's Sup Forums fuckery

pastebin.com/qqaUJMDC
chroot /mnt /bin/bash

Actually it's fine on Sup Forums and your desktop fuckeries it since the picture contains exif data wich tells your viewer how to orient it, but Sup Forums removes exif data to protext us from ourselves.

Should I get a NAS?

My desktop runs 24/7 anyway. I don't dual-boot and the last time I installed a new operating system was 7 years ago. So the desktop is basically a server.

So why would I need a NAS?
I can just RAID-5 a few HDDs in my desktop and share them

hello thread, I love you

Yeah, it sounds pretty impressive. I tried converting to .ogg and it wasn't much but some of the body was lost through the conversion. What definitely doesn't happen with mp3.

Only way I've managed to keep an .opus recording decent after conversion so I could load on Ardour was full-blowing to .wav. Which is shitty practice, but .ogg although close to .opus in type of compression just wasn't cutting at all.

Name one (1) reason why you aren't running Bebian right now.