Install linux

>install linux
>can't play any decent modern games
>can't watch video stream services like xfinity, HBOGO, netflix
>can't run any business apps like Outlook or Skype for Business for my work
>i won't even get started on all of the other shitty driver problems i'm having

who...is this OS supposed to be for?

Other urls found in this thread:

pcworld.com/article/2824623/ubuntu-linux-gets-netflix-without-weird-workarounds.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Sup Forums

>Yes you can
>Yes you can
>Yes you can
>I have no idea what I'm doing
Learn to use the OS before blaming your problems on it

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>games
kys

proprietary garbage and time wasters

proprietary garbage and time wasters

proprietary botnet apps that abuse their users

unless it's some obscure hardware, GNU+Linux will generally work out of the box, unlike windows that needs a million different drivers in order to function

Enjoy some open arena my good man

>time wasters
He says while posting on redditchan in 2017

/Thread

I'm actually a designated GNU+Spokesperson, so this is part of my daily job.

Like Diversityfield 1 and Fallout 4 Goy of the Year?
>falling for the cloud jew
It's all botnet. Just download everything, 2tb hard drives are dirt cheap you have no excuse.
LibreOffice.
Why are you still posting this awful meme? Linux hasn't had driver problems since, what, 2005? It's had better driver support than Windows for years.

>who...is this OS supposed to be for?
Not for retards, that's for sure.

>My Linux install plays ~90% of the games I own
>Not owning your media
>Using Microsoft products, also I have Skype on Linux and it works.
I really should get around to deleting it though, I haven't used it in years since I got my desktop here.

>Like Diversityfield 1 and Fallout 4 Goy of the Year?
Not to mention, plenty of good vidya is already either libre or has a linux port

The only real problem with *nix is GPU performance due to drivers being asscancer.

>who...is this OS supposed to be for?
People who need a hobby. People who need to be kept busy.

>install windows
>can't use vim on console
>installing gpg is weird (does it even work?)
>pass probably doesn't work
>no mutt
>have to drill through 20 different menus to do something
>have to do it again if I want to repeat the action
>shit scripting
>gui ssh lmao
>have a problem
>have to wait for microsoft to fix it
>superfluous documentation for everything because no source
>try turning it off and then back on again
>kind of works for a while
>still can't really fix anything because closed system and no one really knows how it works
>just hope for the best i guess

>LibreOffice
>business apps
wew, I mean even Office 2003 is more suitable for anything serious.

I use libre office for my work related stuff just fine. I don't know why you're so obsessed with having MS products only

>he thinks you can run modern games on linus

what's a linux alternative for outlook/skype for business? or how do you get those to work? wine hasn't worked for me.

Dual OS, win10 for business/gaming and Void Linux for everyday use/shills

Well outlook works in a browser, and I'm pretty sure Skype does too. So you don't need an alternative

just use OpenBSD

the web clients for each are shit, and very limited in capabilities.

I use Outlook through my browser daily for work, it's an email client with a calendar. What more does the desktop version have? Skype is shit regardless but for quick conversations with coworkers I'm sure the online version is fine and you're just nitpicking

>install linux
>be free, be so free that no one will even bother to cuck you or incorporate your brain into the botnet

What do you consider modern?

Just use Wine or a windows vm then you can run shitty proprietary software

>using a shitty OS to run a VM of the OS you actually want to use

More like running a shitty os inside a virtual machine in the os you actually want to use because you need to use some shitty software and dual booting requires rebooting to use said software

CS:GO and DOTA 2 is modern and decent

Amazon Prime Video works in Firefox?

Use VirtualBox to start a Virtual Machine with Windows for your wagecuck apps

Get hardware that works under Linux, there's plenty. You don't try to install Mac OS on a machine you bought for Windows-hardware and vice versa?

This OS is not for brainlets.

Netflix also works as well. It does require (((Chrome))) though. But I neither recommend Netflix or (((Chrome))) but if someone has to have it then it will work out of the box.

>i installed an OS because i cant think for myself and blindly follow memes on Sup Forums

Sup Forums should have a "you fell for the meme" counter

Well, it's clearly not for retards to start.

What? You can stream Netflix from Linux
pcworld.com/article/2824623/ubuntu-linux-gets-netflix-without-weird-workarounds.html

Why are you spreading FUD?

I use Outlook, but it does what any other mail client does. Just pick the next alternativeto. Doesn't Skype have a Linux client?

The Linux client is pretty outdated, I believe. I'm not even sure it's being maintained anymore. But again, there's a web client if for some reason user needs the new features (hint: he probably doesn't)

what do you call this?

>N-no, that doesn't count because it's not an outdated view of Linux from the late 90s

they have steam for linux. if you can't play through linux's version of steam, you can always play via virtualbox

Farmville at 4k @ 60 fps

good goyims paying to netflex.
lol

it's my aunt's account. she pays

>Watching without paying one way is somehow fine, yet watching without paying another way is the point of this thread being created
Really makes me spin those fidgets

Here we see an OP that has never used any Linux distro in his life. This is because he can't afford a personal computer and his workplace uses Windows XP. Don't worry my Indian friend, things will pick up!

Linux distros are overwhelmingly used by indians and africans. Try again with your racism.

>why would you
>why would you
>why would you
If you will use it for pleb things, dont use it

Anyone working at a company that's autistic enough to use 'Skype for Business' AKA autistic lync should stay away from Linux...

Clearly doing research on IM applications is too complex for you, god knows how bad you're going deal with a CLI.

Linux distros are exclusively used by superhumans with 170+ IQ and 700 year lifespan. See, we could make a game out of this "make stuff up with no sources"! Your turn. Throw the die first to see how many claims you have to include.

name a single one
you can't
you are too ashamed. because you know the truth
the truth that you are a loser.

>Linux distros are exclusively used by superhumans with 170+ IQ and 700 year lifespan.
half true. I have lived for many thousands of years.

servers
neckbeards with assbackwards priorities
people whos time has no value

Here's my proof Rajesh.
See, unlike you, I have evidence to back up my claims meanwhile you're here acting like a stereotypical passive aggressive Indian when they get called out. :)

and your time is so valuable saving the planet on Sup Forums.

dont be asshurt, its not a good look

Isn't South Africa predominantly white though?

>ubloatu

What? No

Thanks for that. Regardless I enjoy using Linux as my daily OS.
t. Straight white male living in Australia

>Here's my proof
>not having them in the order of most downloaded
>not having them in any order
>cutting the list to only show poor countries instead of all countries
>the proof is a torrent of one ISO of one distro, which excludes netinstall ISO, every other distro, every older distro that's upgraded via package manager and overall even proves nothing of the specific countries OS market share
Yeah you sure proved a point of "being overwhelmingly used by indians and africans".

fpbp

>something doesn't fit my use case
>HOW THE FUCK DOES ANYBODY USE THIS
it's for developers and people who value their privacy and the actual ownership of their media and OS. Obviously something you don't care about if your using shitflix and HBONO as well as letting the Skype botnet in.

>Can literally do all of that with presumably some exceptions for games (I wouldn't know because I'm not a faggot)

Cool blog

>>can't watch video stream services like xfinity, HBOGO, netflix

Does anyone speak retard? What did he mean by this?

Is there a serious alternative to a combination of Exchange, Office365 and Skype for Business, especially in big organisations with thousands of users?

just lmao at the libreoffice guy

Either fortune 500 companies or basement dwelling neets that put cowsay in their terminal and take pictures of their desktop that prominently shows their underage anime girl wallpapers and girly pink color palette
Guess which one posts here

If you have to use spreadsheets and a word processor all day, you should probably use Windows, drone.

Office is online/in a browser. Or you can use Google docs. Skype also has a browser version, and the last user in this thread who said the same thing couldn't come up with a valid reason why Skype doesn't work in the browser. Honestly though, it's just a word processor, you don't need Microsoft products to process text like that.

I get the feeling neither of you are familiar with any of the Office365 products beside Word and Excel, or Skype for Business (Skype != SfB), and how well they integrate with Exchange.

i run xfinity, hbogo, and netflix on linux?

>71 replies
HOW THE FUCK?!
i thought Sup Forums was better than this.

You cant run microsoft products on linux you say?
Windows is shit, it doesn't run final cut pro

You're correct, I'm a web developer and never use Microsoft products

Kolab is your best bet.
LO is fine if everyone uses it, but you can use msoffice if you want.
A large company should have an IT department so it isn't a bunch of people installing random stuff.

What's a decent modern game? I wasn't aware they existed, unless they were indies (at which point, they are usually playable on Ubuntu and its forks, like Mint).

I can watch video stream services like HBO Go and Netflix. Can't comment on Xfinity specifically.

I can run Skype for Business, don't understand why you can't. That said, I prefer Wire (which also has business options), as it has more security and no ads. Outlook is fair, but I mitigate it by using Outlook on my iPhone. Tutanota is my personal service.

Why not? Because so far, it seems like you don't have any real complaints.

>i thought Sup Forums was better than this.
Does that make you stupid?

Propriety botnet and DRM.

Well, I can understand them choosing to run W7 over W8/8.1/10. I work at a power plant, and we do the same. This is due to the fact that we can't afford to have our computer systems shutting down whenever it fucking pleases (ala W10). W8 and W8.1 are absolute garbage for productivity.

Netflix also works on Firefox