Why are Arch users such arrogant, pretentious, elitists, impatient, mean sacks of shit...

Why are Arch users such arrogant, pretentious, elitists, impatient, mean sacks of shit? Pretty much every post I read of some shithead using Arch is filled with venom.
>You sound like you never even tried arch *to a seasoned user
>Arch has AUR. Debian has what??
Is Arch a retard magnet?

Other urls found in this thread:

artixlinux.org/index.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

using mint currently becuase I'm a linux newfag
I'll probably install arch next because I like the logo
and that probably makes someone very mad

I hate Archfags but if you're a Debian user you deserve everything you get.

>waaah they said mean things to me

A ton of people claimed Arch was hardcore and you have to be smart to use it (it's not and you don't). So then a bunch of retards managed to follow the newbie guide and think they're smart because of the aforementioned claims. They then proceed to be dicks because they think they're smart.

It's pretty much the same thing as the Rick and Morty fanbase. A bunch of retards who think they're smart because they watch a "smart show" and act like dicks because of it.

I have nothing against either one, I use Arch as my daily driver precisely because it's easy and I watched Rick and Morty but I don't think it's a genius show or anything. Still haven't seen the new season yet though

Arch should be treated as a learning experience. I'm an Arch user, and I'll freely admit that it's wildly impractical for productivity

New season is pretty good IMO but I agree half the fan base think they're smart for watching it

I like the way you think.

Dunno. Check out the Gentoo community, they're very friendly and helpful, despite their system requiring more work to get up and running, and also to maintain. Helpful lads, every last one of them.

>it's wildly impractical for productivity
How? I used it for like a year. Unless you're brand new to it and Linux in general, it's literally just:
>install system
>install DE and software
>use
Turns out even the "broken updates" meme is a lie, at least in the year that I used it. In fact the updates are worse on Windows 10 lol. I've had failed updates on Windows 10 on more than one occasion ("We couldn't complete the update, undoing changes...") but nothing like that on Arch.

I guess I just don't get where this "Arch is difficult" meme comes from. You install it and your software, and then it just works. I'm starting to get the vibe that people on this board are just bad with technology in general lol

projecting much? like holy shit

Arch is linux for people who actually understand the OS. Much like Gentoo or LFS.

We (arch users) are mean because the typical linux user just installs Ubuntu and then proceeds to peacock like they did something special. Ask them to modify init or their rc scripts and they cry about wanting to go back to Windows.

Arch is not hard to use. IT ONLY DOES WHAT IT TELLS YOU TOO. Nothing more, nothing less. It can be the most minimal distro you've ever used, or the most bloated, depending on your understanding of the install process.

That was an old Emerald demo, I meant to upload this

>IT ONLY DOES WHAT IT TELLS YOU TOO.
Arch users, ladies and gentlemen.

this is true. I saw it also

lol i have no defense against that other than, cinnamon whiskey

it only does what you tell it to x.x

You're not drunk, you're just a kid using Linux as a roleplaying prop.

if that assumption makes you feel better about yourself, have at it

no im not drunk, just a lil buzzed

It's not an assumption, it's fact. You, me, and everyone else here is aware of it. I'm not telling you to stop roleplaying kid, I'm just pointing out what you're doing.

tis god tier for the price

>tis

>God tier
Get some fucking standards lol. I'd rather just be sober than drink cheap liquor. Makes me feel like vomiting just thinking about it

There is literally nothing wrong with Debian.

..."kid", I'm a 37yr old who has been in IT for most of his adult life. my first linux distro was slackware '96 that i purchased from walnut creek cd rom for $11. i code in 7 languages (no functional langs, fuck meme math) and i make more than your NEET ass will ever see

>tis god tier
>tis

pick a cinnamon whiskey thats better, not named goldschlagger

shit tastes way better than fireball

If you want to have a pretend hacker roleplaying session, all you have to do is ask. That's what most of us do on here anyway.

fireball is the macfag of cinn liquor
sinfire is thinkpad tier

>I code in 7 languages
>code
It's "program" you larping fuck lol. Anyone who's been in that field for very long knows that only Hollywood retarded tech illiterates use the term "code". Also, if you know seven programming languages, why are you in IT? Completely different field that focuses more on hardware and network troubleshooting, with light web development.

just because im sloppy-ish doesnt mean im going to let you continue to trigger me. think what you want, i have other boards to toast on

>candy whiskey
No thanks. Just drink real whiskey

Arch came into existence for a very small percentage of people who wanted bleeding edge releases and could roll back or fix their own bugs.
Because you had to install it from terminal and came with a step by step instructions. It made it easy as to install as ubuntu mini but appeared to be difficult like gentoo or slackware.
So aside from the actual target userbase arch was supposed to attract Arch it also attracted ubuntu users who wanted to appear more hardcore and alternative without any of the actual work.
That group is now the dominant users of arch.

started in vb when i was 15
moved on to object pascal because it was meme for RAD dev
took a detour into LISP for autocad scripting back when r14 was heavily LISP
picked up TCL when i landed on irc, got really into eggdrops for awhile
i know bash, awk and perl for automation duties. havent fallen for python yet
learned C for GTK
learned C++ for QT

thats actually 8, though i dont remember much of LISP due to not having used it since, so i shouldn't count it
my most recent project is in C# so thats actually 9

try again faggit

It's really not even "bleeding edge," you have to enable testing repositories if you want to be "bleeding edge." Arch's main appeal came from its design philosophy. Make it small, make it simple, and give the user choice. Everything that should be automated is, and the only user input that's required is where the user should make a choice.

I never understood this. Rick and morty isn't a smart show at all. They never talk about math, science, or philosophy and the creator literally said he isn't smart or had any real theory behind it.
Its a good show, but its not smart, if anything it is anti-intellectual an cynical.

come to think of it i've also done projects in mSL and, HTML5 and JS. man im better than i thought

alright enough triggered, have fun kiddos

I use arch because the AUR is pretty nifty and the Arch-Anywhere installer is really good as I recall

I mean you could have just googled all those languages. I don't actually care, you may actually be telling the truth, but I just think you should know that if you care about convincing anonymous strangers then just typing a paragraph isn't really proof

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humor is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Rick's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation - his personal philosophy draws heavily fromNarodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realize that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Rick and Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Rick's existencial catchphrase "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon's genius unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools... how I pity them. And yes by the way, I DO have a Rick and Morty tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

I like Arch because it is basically a thin package manager atop vanilla packages.

meh i dont care enough to what, livestream me coding into atom?

i just got annoyed at the assumption, which was probably bait, but im easily baited atm

heres another thing you guys wont actually believe

my real life non-internet girlfriend is bitching at me for sitting here fighting with 4channers

so ima go

if it helps you, she's fat

yeah, you are full of shit. saying "I know x amount of programming languages" is just a huge red fag. If you know C, all C derived languages are basically just accents of C. So you potentially know many many languages which are really just meant to be abstractions of C.
in other words you dont brag about the quantity of languages but the lowest level of abstraction

You're not wrong, but the exact thing has been happening with Debian Stable for the past 18 months or so. Mark my words.

>>
>if it helps you, she's fat
IT DOESN'T HELP

sigh. you mean Algol-style languages, languages that can be defined through BNF-style semantics.

dude just go away, it's not like i havent toyed with intel assembly (at&t syntax looks funny to me) so dont talk to me about abstraction

just...just shut up. you're trying too hard

are you retarded? Arch is so easy to install and get working, it's literally a 10 step process, you don't need to know *anything* about linux to use Arch, the same can be said for Gentoo and LFS. Also, who the fuck uses init scripts anymore?

Arch is the ultimate redpill
Other distros simply cant compete.

it's packages are decrepit.
and don't you even mention Debian sid because that shit is unstable and timesink as balls

Debian is just CentOS or Fedora with down syndrome.

no, I dont mean that. C and Lisp are both Algol languages but just because you know C does not mean you know LISP.
like i said everyone can tell you are full of shit,

>Admit

It's an os. You use it how you want or need to. Once you have a solid configuration, you can use it just as effectively as any other distro. Saying it's not good for productivity is no one's fault but your own.

>LISP is ALGOL

i was on your side until you said this. also, he understands use cases for each language..you don't.

who's the fraud?

he also said he'd used LISP but doesn't count it as a language he knows because he doesn't do functional languages

shitposter confirmed

>defending me

dude let him talk shit, hes making us laugh

Don't do that. First read of Linux history and then choose based on what distros have to offer.

I thought you were leaving for your so-called girlfriend?

i talked her into making me dinner. out of cinn so i'm moving on to beer.

still feel lame for checking in on this thread

>First read of Linux history and then choose based on what distros have to offer.
And THEN choose the best one out of those based on the logo.

post your github. only way

>Is Arch a retard magnet?

No, but it gives users an inflated sense of their own competence, which in turn creates 'mount stupid'. Pic very much related.

top quality bait

>the "broken updates" meme is a lie
Stop updating for a week then update and post results.
Stop updating for a month then update and post results.

This is why Arch is broken, updates should work even if you keep your system offline for a year.
You are not using Arch, you are just waiting for it to blow up

>i can't stop roleplaying
Isn't there a group you can meet up with or an IRC channel to hop on if you want to do this?

Every nonmint distro has assholes. Seriously but when you tell you use linux mint even ubuntu lovers shit on you.

Why? Because "muh security", mint actually is still alot more secure than wangblows. Like every hacker on world just dreams to hack their computers and steal their rare collection of animegirls/doujins/cringe memes.
Common sense and you are set.

Or mint uses older versions of some software in app manager. You still can use new software using apt-get install instead of app manager.

Mint just doesent automatically install untested software but it lets you manually, and thats a "Big problem".

Or one pisses on mint because mint driver manager recommends driver what should work best for hardware because "muh only opensource is not satan spawn."

its the most sane of all the linux communities, the rest of them have been captured by sjw and are danger zone for nerds

>Arch has AUR. Debian has what
prebuilt packages and .deb files

Yes I really deserve stability and the comfort that nothing will break.

>using Arch is filled with venom
>43yo still cumming into sock

Yeah gee I wonder.

i only update once a month and i've never experienced any problems

I'M PICKLE RIIIIIIICK HAHAHAAH
>so much thought put into this
>tfw noone will understand how genius I am

Try antergos instead. Don't waste your time on copy and pasting from archwiki.

>who the fuck uses init scripts
Technically everyone. If you're not counting systemd's unit files, it's still a lot.

There are lot of Arch users, not everyine is an asshole.
The thing is - Arch is one of the few non-meme distros. In my experience it's less time consuming than Fedora and brokenSUSE, especially if you use 3-rd party installer like Arch Anywhere. Because packages are upstream - I am not afraid that half on GNOME features won't work after updates (Fedora) or my browser will lose all of it's settings (Mint). That being said, when your system is in it's working state and you have a lot of packages installed (like if you actually do work and just screenfetch) constant updates are very tiresome. Also, bleeding edge is not always good, I think that stable releases of software are your best bet. So the best distro would be the one that has rolling updates of stable packages and doesn't try to 'optimize' it them. Unfortunately, I don't know a distro like that.

thats not that much actually
and it doesn't make you special

I only updated once a week, you mong. Swear to god most of this bullshit comes from people who either never even used it or must have used it like five years ago or something.

maybe it's not the same everywhere you go, but every single other arch user i've ever spoken to anywhere but here (and let's make it clear that you've both claimed to know these people to a degree that you fucking understand them) has been nothing but polite with regards to their OS or software, and i hold fairly extreme opinions related to both.
as far as the claim that people think they're smart for installing arch, frankly that sounds to me like an excuse people who don't want to look stupid use. i mean that sincerely, because every time i've witnessed people rudely advise others on arch on here has been either 1. on the wiki or 2. intuitive enough that you basically would have had to not try to not understand it.
both of those are obviously of experience, or, if you will, knowledge, not intelligence in it's realistic meaning. they have in fact so little to do with knowledge that they just threw information related to everything you need it for on the wiki, so that you can use arch if you meet the bare requirement of understanding a language.
the arch wiki is and has been for years criticized unfairly, and if you are the kind of person that can't stand other people being RUDE TO YOU ON THE INTERNET (especially on something you believe to be "politically charged", regardless of the stupidity of that) for 30 seconds, that is all the more reason you need to learn to use resources.
i don't doubt your claim, but gentoo and arch are really nothing alike and shouldn't be recommended together. the gap between source-based package management and distributing binaries is large indeed.

fpbp

>Liking the arch logo when it is in fact a fat man with a triangle hat

Arch user here.
I really want to switch to Gentoo but it doesn't have anything comparable to the AUR does it ñ
How would one go about installing something like Firefox nightly on Gentoo?

just go with void.

Same question applies. Is there some kind of alternative repository I could use to install packages that aren't in the official one?
I feel like the main benefit of arch is the convenience of having almost everything already available as a package.

Has anyone used (or even heard of) Artix? It's a version of Arch without systemd.

artixlinux.org/index.php

no u

Kind of looks like a fatass backlit by a curtained window

What's the alternative to systemctl services in a distro without systemd?

In OpenRC it's (instead of systemctl start ):
> /etc/init.d/ start
or
> rc-service start

Oh so it has the same exact functionality?
I was under the impression systemd made for a more convenient experience for the end user as well as the developer

Exact? Doubtful. But OpenRC is designed as a systemd replacement, and I believe they had convenience in mind.