Did PowerPC processors do anything better?

Did PowerPC processors do anything better?

Other urls found in this thread:

kyoceradocumentsolutions.eu/index/products/product/taskalfa5550ci.technical_specification.html
raptorcs.com/TALOSII/prerelease.php
righto.com/2015/05/bitcoin-mining-on-55-year-old-ibm-1401.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

RAID routines.

It went to Mars.

They made better space heaters.

can they mine cryptocoins

Not really.

Just about anything CAN. some chucklefuck implemented SHA256 on a 50s-era IBM mainframe as part of its restoration for a museum and calculated its bitcoin hashrate. I think it was something hilarious like a few hashes an hour.

On the consumer market? Up until the late 90's they did.

It funny because they ran cooler than comparable x86 processors. POWER chips are the exact same case.

They used to. But then it was vice versa for a while and x86 preceded it big time.
POWER nowadays does though.

Combination twitch player and heater.

This version of MacOS looks so much better than the flat shit now.

AltiVec

Of course

Can't wait to get a G5 quad, my dp 2GHz single core model died last year

That's quite impressive
I wonder how slow encrypt img something would be

>twitch
go back

Explains why they had to put water-cooling in the late-model G5's which were slower than the C2D Mac Minis.

See
Might want to read the actual thread before posting next time.

Water cooling was primarily for silence, not heat dissipation.

Very nice machine. Have you got it maxed out as far as internals go? and do you have a linux partition for an up to date browser? I don't see why you would but you could.

nice temps too

>AltiVec

This right here. It is the sole reason why stuff like photoshop and illustrator ran faster on macs than on pcs, and is the reason why macs ended up cornering the 'creatives' market.

They had better vector processing units than the Intels of the day.

Also they had plenty of registers so it was easy to emulate other architectures. PPC could emulate Intel much faster than Intel could emulate PPC, for instance.

They were much much nicer for assembly language programming than Intel, basically they had a souped up 68k instruction set.

64 bit Power blows the doors off Intel's latest hunks of shit at this point too. I'm going to get me a Talos sometime soon.

What can you use one for? Is it viable for daily computing?

>What can you use one for?

Things like image and video editing programs, but now pretty much useless thanks to gpu acceleration of those things.

>Is it viable for daily computing?

For what? Shitposting here or doing actual work?

It will run Linux or FreeBSD and anything you can compile on them, also it can emulate an Intel box really nicely with QEMU. It's good for everything but passthrough gaymen.

The whole point is that people want a computing experience free of the CIA nigger botnet dummy.

then make that obvious when you post

you'd be better off with older amd for that purpose anyway

lickable

PPC Mac has up-to-date browsers, both Leopard WebKit and TenFourFox.

>Have you got it maxed out as far as internals go?
You can see already that he only has 8GB of RAM.

>watching twitch
>ever
Kill yourself.

>Did
They still -DO- a lot of things better, DESU. They're really efficient at parallel processing semi-complicated maths. Like OCR, network routing, data routing and control, and directing and controlling multiple hardware aspects, while still running a high-level operating system.

kyoceradocumentsolutions.eu/index/products/product/taskalfa5550ci.technical_specification.html
Kyocera, amongst other copier/printer companies, use PowerPC processors to great effect. It beats the snot out of a lot of other RISC based processors, for general purpose usage. Hell, you can get boards of Quad-core, 2.2ghz PowerPC fury ready to go from guys like NXP.

I'd love to see more "Makers" boards with PowerPC elements, but I feel that the licencing for it has to suck balls, otherwise we'd have more of them.

>G5

I always wanted one of those towers, I thought they were sexy.

Should I get a PowerPC rig, Sup Forums?

i miss old apple ;_;

While I agree that AtliVec is great, didn't that start in the 68k days?

of course and get one and a powerbook g4 to go with it

>didn't that start in the 68k days?

Perhaps, I was just a little kid back then though. I do know that altivec was why PS ran faster in OSX than on windows. That all changed when PS went 64bit and added GPU accel.

yes for word processing youtube through ppc media and games all work fine even used unity on one

I miss my 12" powerbook g4.

Best laptop ever

Only if you want to use it as a cooking accessory

Is there any video player better than mplayer for Leopard?
It has some weird bug where 720p videos lag, even if the cpu has low load.
Using a G5 quad with a geforce 6600.

Or as a laptop

I think if you used it on your lap you would become sterile.

I remember that thing sounding like a jet.

Coreplayer has best performance, but kinda shitty interface.

What would a 14nm PowerPC CPU be like?

Yeah, it gets pretty toasty. Nice and cozy in the winter.

It'd be POWER9, which is coming out either late this year or early next year

raptorcs.com/TALOSII/prerelease.php

They had strong FP performance and extensions like AltiVec that made them decent for workstation-y tasks but they were limp in integer performance which mattered the most for general desktop use.
righto.com/2015/05/bitcoin-mining-on-55-year-old-ibm-1401.html
45 hashes per hour based on the estimate in the article.

>dual-socket
>marketed at employed people who use their computers rather than cheap contrarians who just want to jerk off to "openness" and security
This is what the first Talos should have been, hope it works out.

This time they're skipping the crowdfunding and just releasing it, so at least we'll see it hit the market.

I miss skeumorphism. I remember using some android music player back in the days that had this wood/metal design, just beautiful. But then they went right into the material meme and now it looks like complete garbage.

>camino
Fuck I remember it was pretty good too.

They didn't spy on you.

Thanks for reminding me to get another one of these.

U had one over a decade ago and they didn't get that hot. Yeah, the ventilation sucked but it's not like I was gaming or always running benchmarks or compiling Gentoo on it. I just used it for web browsing and word processing.

>They didn't spy on you.
neither did anything else for the majority of the architecture's desktop lifecycle, had the architecture remained relevant in that field it would undoubtedly have had management/anti-theft features integrated into it that armchair security analysts would call backdoors

>management/anti-theft features
>he thinks that these can only be accessed by him
Nah, they're backdoors. Only a fool would say otherwise.

What can I use an old pismo for? I assume it's totally insecure to go online with now.

no backdoors

I really wanted one, but they're so expensive

It's just a workstation with a different architecture. You use it for anything you'd use any other workstation for, as long as the applications you need are open source or support POWER.

Whatever interesting shit you can pull off of the Macintosh garden or pirate bay if you go with an old version of OS X, including the internet, because even if someone could somehow circumvent your firewall and use ebin hacker magic to determine that you're running some shitty operating system with minimal remote access facilities, they're not going to give a fuck about popping it.

you're actually right since they're by design intended to be used by third parties that aren't the user to control access or usage of the system, I should have clarified that I was strawmanning about conspiratard-tier muh guvment shit that's never been demonstrably proven but is usually thrown around as a compelling point by RISCtards

it did MEGAHERTZ MYTH better

kek

PowerPCs would be a Sup Forums meme like Nightly or ThinkPads today if they still existed.

They do still exist, just not in desktops.

There's already tons of people here who jerk off to non-x86 platforms for the sake of them being non-x86 and nothing else, though.

oh so its supposed to get extremely hot? i thought something was wrong with it

no keyboard light?

they're the most aesthetic laptops ive ever seen

> some chucklefuck implemented SHA256 on a 50s-era IBM mainframe
I read an article about solving SHA256 hashes by hand, on a paper sheet.

Rule of thumb is, they have much better fpu, but more or less equal generic integer performance against the fastest x86 back then (athlon64). But when core arch comes, ppc got rekt unrecoverably. Even today their power9 server cpu are outperformed by xeons