OS RAM usage

How do you explain the fact that your 64-bit OS consumes more than 400MB of RAM after a restart?

Other urls found in this thread:

blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-7-service-pack-1-service-configurations/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I have 16GB. I don't give a fuck

I too have a desktop with 32GB of RAM, yet I still care my OS not to use more than 400MB on boot!

File cache. My OS is a bit bigger than that 400 MB and after being read for startup it will linger there as long as the memory isn't needed for anything more useful.

>RAM File cache
Meme. Even on a HDD, let alone SSD.

The more RAM you have, the more is being used. Paging needs RAM to function after all.

Bollocks. I get the same usage on my desktop.

No, it's not. SSDs are incredibly slow compared to RAM. Even if they weren't, there's no reason to remove this caching functionality because it has no downsides.

Unless you're able to cache huge amounts of data (100-200GB at least, that is the entire fucking drive), it's useless.

How have you got your RAM to consume only 400MB on restart..

Show me! Yuliya!

Disable unnecessary features in Turn windows features on or off
The go here blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-7-service-pack-1-service-configurations/
And disable unnecessary services. Follow the "Safe" collumn. There's a Next link at the page bottom too.
You can even have fancy stuff like Aero running and still be low on RAM usage.

As I said: No downsides in caching. And in some edge cases it's faster.

Except wasting time flushing the cache when you need the RAM. Lolnothankyou, my SSD is fast enough without meme cache.

>Check
I didn't even know it used this much.

Christ.. At this point you might as well do a fresh install.

Flushing later isn't slower than flushing in advance.

Flushing the cache for no reason and increase cache misses

vs

Flushing the cache when needed.

I don't really believe I have to explain this to you but I will for others who are not trolling and may take your misinformation for real.

>Thinks flushing cache is so slow it's noticeable.
>At the same time thinks operations on SSD are cheap.

You can stop trolling, m8.

We can see your screenshot. Don't fucking lie you dumb bitch.

Yeah its about time for another one.
I do so every few months even though I usually keep things minimal.
I will probably go through the link you posted to get rid of all the unnecessary crap in the background.

Your SSD is multiple orders of magnitude slower, fa.m

That screenshot is from an old laptop, dumbass.

>I do so every few months
o.O Be more careful, maybe?

>I usually keep things minimal
That 3rd party theme contradicts your statement.

>I will probably go through the link you posted to get rid of all the unnecessary crap in the background.
That only helps with Windows's built-in crap, not with anything 3rd party installed. You may want to at least give "Uninstall a program" CPanel window a visit first and decide what to keep and what not to.

True, but as I said, unless you can cache huge amounts of data, I find it completely useless. Only helps in meme benchmarks, but not in real life scenarios.

It may be useless but it still has no downsides.

Useless processes running in background, slowing down startup time, time wasted in flushing the cache when needed and the unnecessarily complexity added to the system, all sound like downsides to me.

I'm gonna call bullshit on this one, you sound like a fucking moron

It the other way around. Clearing cache without reason needs a background process. Clearing cache on allocation doens't.

It only helps in meme benchmarks. In real world scenarios, where yoy now load 20GB of data for your game, two hours later load Photoshop and work with large projects and a few hors later start using Chrome with 100 tabs, your cache mechanism, unless it's caching hundreds of GB is useless.

>screenshot isn't even from his device
>thinks anyone can take him seriously now
Stop wasting my time, nigger, and don't sell me your faggot HP bloatware laptop as a clean windows device

The caching itself is done through an additional 3rd party service.

Yeah no, you are a fucking idiot sorry, I stopped reading a while ago. Cute try tho.

It is my laptop. Well, one of them.

Enjoy your placebo benchmarks. It's worth nothing in real usage though.

> if you were operations on the desk mean nothing
Ok retard

looonix works fine with about 100/150

Wait what, how would you even know I'm using one? That picture just shows aero is turned off.

The 3rd party theme comes with these kinds of computers... I see your point, but windows' default theme is too bright for my liking.

And yes I am aware of what turning off those features does. I have gotten rid of some in the past.
You're right though I do have some unnecessary programs in control panel, this is usually why I reset things, to clean up my mess.
I guess I am not being as efficient as I thought.

I'm sorry but what OS are you referring to?

That is bad, it should be using more, free mem is a waste and doesn't make sense, the OS should be using it for cache or something. Then only releasing it if/when software needs it.

*fewer

>The caching itself is done through an additional 3rd party service.
If you mean by the kernel itself then sure.

>never seen 32GB
Nigger

Caching like Samsung SSD's have, not Superfetch. Superfetch barely caches 200MB.

unused ram is wasted ram

Right.. Loading some service to help Fax and Telephony connections on a desktop is very useful

I was referring to the Linux memory management. Superfetch is windows kernel. This gives some valuable insight on your competence with computer systems (slim to none).

I'm out!

>only has 32-bit

it's ironic firefox uses more RAM than the whole OS (it's obviously not loaded during that screenshot)

OS uses ram as fast cache if you have more than enoug.

How do you get it that low?
My windows 7 installation consumed 2gb of ram after a reinstall

Ikr!

I can't get under 800mb on Win7Ultimate 32bit

See Same as above

Already disabled everything on that image except the XPS viewer (which I use), guess I'll follow through the site, thanks

My 64bit OS only consumes 250MB of RAM after a restart.

Pretty much this, OS should be using like half the RAM, it doing nothing is a bigger waste, release it when software calls for it.

Any way to use the classic shell but avoid screen tearing?

> Disable unnecessary features
> Windows Search is on
The fuck?

You mean the classic theme? To my knowledge, no. I don't know if GSynk/FreeSyncfixes this thogu, or if these technologies even work on desktop and not only in exclusive fullscreen D3D programs. Classic theme is not using the desktop compositor. At most you could install uxThemePatcher and use a custom theme that resembles Classic. That will use the desktop compositor.

I use it. I search in Start menu, in CPanel and in Explorer directly, in folders. Indexing is off though.

Only Aero Custom themes enables the compositor. Windows XP Theme for example has tearing :(

There used to be an add-on called memory-fox that would make the browser use under 50MB. It caused everything to run like shit though.

Unused RAM is wasted RAM, slavslut.

Only if they are needed. Obviously you don't let services run that aren't used.

Successful troll thread though, slavslut.

They default to enabled

>"""female"""
>can't into the superior GNU/Linux

Nope.

wut?

Thanks, Yuliya.

Is 400MiB supposed to be impressive? I've seen Windows 8/10 installations using less, and of course all Windows versions pale in comparison to a real OS.

You're welcome (:

I have 16gb of ram, my os could use 4gb for all I care.

idiot

It caches as much as possible without withholding RAM to programs.

Unused RAM is wasted RAM.

My linux machine uses ~100MB when it boots into the TTY. ~200MB after i start the window manager.

>File cache.
The 400 megs that you see yoused in the OP picture does not include ((pre|super)fetch|cach)ed files

Yup, on cold boot should be no data cached in RAM.