Infotainment systems are technology

Infotainment systems are technology.

I've always wondered why so many cars have these? What happens when these things fail or start massively slowing down after a year or two and then you have to drop 2k+ just to use your fucking AC or radio?

Do people not think that far ahead or is it just me?

Same thing goes for all these driver assists, when they fail your car will basically be undriveable despite there being nothing wrong with the engine.

Pretty much the only driver assist that will make the car undrivable when broken is power steering.

Does nobody else think about this or are you just okay with shilling out money because of "muh technology"

What about that automatic braking, lane depature warning and what ever else. When that shit fails in two years your alarms are going to be blaring or the car acting wonky.

>automatic braking
If the sensors fail, it'll just not brake. The sensor is not going to fail in such a way that it's going to be reading 0.1 metres to nearest wall at all times.
>lane depature warning
You're going to have to take a look in the mirrors since the warnings are going to be dead silent.

My car has broken parking sensors. If you try to use them, it'll beep at you loudly and then disable themselves. It's not assuming that I'm parking myself inside a wall at all times.

My brother-in-law bought a car with all these fancy assist features and he never used a single one.
He also stopped connecting his phone to the car after the first month. The infotainment is just for music now.

Don't these go through heavy testing to make sure this won't happen? Never heard of one getting slower.

you know, there is such a thing as fail monitoring for critical sensors
If it fails you'r car will let you know

look at all these Linux/Android faggots who actually believe that technology just... rots?

Guys believe it or not, there are computers that actually work and keep working for a long time, you just refuse to use them

they don't run linux, windows and only a few run Android. They litterally can't slow down in a cars lifetime.

are you dumb?
car mechanic here, they will even have their own MIL or the will show an error message on the combi instrument screen

>tfw having the GOAT infotainment system: BMW iDrive.

what about rotational velocidensity though?
It has to be even stronger in cars

It's a con by the auto industry to get people to buy (or lease as is their preference) a new car every 3-5 years.
We're at the point where drivetrains are more reliable than ever. There's no mechanical reason for most people to buy a new car, but the new flashy thing suckers them in.

They are meant to last decades. And they do last decades if kept in normal conditions.

>They are meant to last decades
Yeah, good luck with that.

My old 97 car has a stock stereo, I only just replaced it last year for modern usage (usb storage playback), not because it was broken but rather of personal preference.

I'm not sure what to do with the old stereo tbqh, maybe donate, or plug some speakers and make it play music in garage or something

That's not an "infotainment" system.
OP is talking about the tablets they tape to your dash these days, not simple radios.

You can still drive a car if the power steering fails, it's just more difficult to turn when stopped or at slow speeds.
I have a 10 year old one in my Saab, still works fine.

So the CIA niggers can hack your car and kill you. Oh, and an awful driving experience.

That is an infotainment system of the past.

These things are designed to last 10+ years if you don't throw rocks or liquid at them.

>If the sensors fail, it'll just not brake.
Ever hear of Toyota's "unintended acceleration"?
Get ready for "unintended deceleration." (brakes slamming)

>If it fails you'r car will let you know
Something Happened

>I've always wondered why so many cars have these?
surveillance botnet

>there's no mechanical reason for most people to buy a new car
What did you mean by this?

Not memeing, I have a 01 Echo and I'm looking at all the new toys from Civics/Accords to Bolts to Souls. I just want a car to not worry about for the next 10 years