/hpg/ Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

schiit.com/products/magni-3
ebay.com/itm/Fostex-T50rp-Mk3-Stereo-Headphones-With-Dekoni-Sheepskin-Pads-/182751478742?hash=item2a8cd643d6:g:yKkAAOSwOAZZgAmJ
head-fi.org/threads/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up.701900/page-1629#post-13731994
innerfidelity.com/images/FostexT50RPMk3.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I regret everything.....

my x2s broke, I have €250 to spend.
Options I'm considering:
>buy new x2s for €190
>buy hd 600s worn once from friend for €190

However there is an issue with both options, I've gone through 3 pairs of x2's in 1 year and I've lost all trust in phillips/gibsons QA and my amp/dac is a fiio e17 which won't be able to drive to hd600s.

>schiit.com/products/magni-3
I bought a mangi 2 Uber like a 3 weeks ago. Now they come out with this.

Why? I'm living the dream right here tbqhwy (to be quite honest with you)

Because I haven't had my mangi 2u for more than 3 weeks and they come.r out with this

That amp and your amp don't sound audibly different, so you have nothing to regret.

I'm so happy I never fell for the sennheiser + schiit stack meme

It's 50 cheaper for the same shit

It's just 50 bucks bro.

Good for you.

Oh shit. I haven't had mine for long either. I can't see the magni 3 making a difference with my 600's. Do you want one because of the extra outputs on it?

>I can't see the magni 3 making a difference
that's because it's hardly a difference, even with a magni 2 which is 1.8 watts vs the 3 watts of the magni 3. that's only 1-2db of gain vs the normal jump from 100-300mw to the magni 2 which is a ~10db increase. remember, 0.5db is considered inaudible.

the only thing is that you lose money, but that will always happen when you buy gadgets

>Budget
€100
>Location
Belgium
>Source
Logitech Z313
>Type of headphone
Over-ear
>Open or closed
Open
>Past headphones
beyer DTX 350, etymotic mc5

HD558, SHP9500S

Yeah, I really don't need another amp. I honestly think that my magni is getting everything out of my 600's anyway. I'd get the magni 3 if I didn't already have a good amp though. Looks like a bargain at $99, damn americans have it easy sometimes.

>damn americans have it easy sometimes
capitalism and freedom

Oh Sheeeit schiit.com/products/magni-3

We're already talking about it m8

> More placebo

No thanks. I'll keep using my onboard

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

> I want a combined DAC/amp! Why didn’t you put a DAC in here?
> We did. They’re just in a different chassis and costs another $99-249. They’re called “Modi 2”...

Bullshit. I'll wait for Modi 3

Idol trash approves of this thread.
What's your setup like, user?

HD600 is second best after HD650

Then come the MA900s and then the R70x

LCD2 Rev2 is somewhere around there

> opinions

>LCD2 Rev2 is somewhere around there
yeah, above the hd600 and hd650

>onboard

oh boy

oh its you again
i actually used to have a picture of your battlestation because i liked it so much, hope youre doing well

Yeah, I'd probbly sell my stack and pay a little extra if they came out with an all in one around the same size.

Blowing the budget pretty hard there, pal.

How are the ZS5s? Are they a worthwhile upgrade over the soundmagic e10?

> implying realtel isn't all you need

Really? I like my setup but quite a few on bst didn't. Hope you're doing good to m8

>implying you have actually compared a decent amp compared to your onboard

> actually implying there's audible difference

>tfw to intelligent too spell to right

my buddy is running off onboard + hd558, and I shipped my teak + ican special edition to him yesterday to borrow. I wonder what he'll think jumping from $100 in gear to $800

You keep believing that. I just hope you didn't pay for expensive headphones.

I haven't tried the soundmagics before but the zs5 are easily the best iem I have tried, though I haven't tried expensive ones before. Just look around online, nearly everyone loves them. The zs6 is nearly out and it's practically the same thing but with a metal body instead, so you might as well let that go down in price a little then get it. That's what I'm doing.

What are some good $50-$60 headsets? I wanted to get the HyperX Stinger of G230 but Stinger is $75 and G230 is $70 on amazon.ca

Grado SR series, probably SR60 or 80

HyperX Cloud

that's a brave rec, user

They're $70 too on Amazon.ca

Which one would you guys recommend more; G230 or HyperX Stinger?

neither, christ. those are garbage. modmic + hd558 or shp9500

I think you missed the part where I said I'm looking for arouns $60.

I'm partially deaf in one ear so sound quality isn't my biggest concern.

>arouns $60
yes, SHP9500 is on sale for $50 all the time, then you find a cheap AF attachable mic

just ordered a pair of HD 1's
anyone have a set? how do you like them?

wait for a sale which happens like every god damn month or buy used on ebay

I have a set. Never have regretted spending the $$$.

Great for white people music, terrible for nigger thump.

Only thing I can find to complain about is the range isn't always great

>.ca
I'm so sorry.

I've got the SHP9500's and like my them but want something closed and more 'fun' mainly listen to j-pop, what do I get for up to $150? Would prefer a detachable cable

please help ;_; I hear lots of mixed stuff about the fulla 2, what does /hpg/ think about its ability to drive HD600s?

>j-pop
shp9500s are way too dry and bright for kpop and jpop which is already dry af. your best bet for $150 is probably m50x or a fostex t50rp

here: ebay.com/itm/Fostex-T50rp-Mk3-Stereo-Headphones-With-Dekoni-Sheepskin-Pads-/182751478742?hash=item2a8cd643d6:g:yKkAAOSwOAZZgAmJ

I used to own it and it's amazing for the money but it slightly distorts at higher volumes compared to the magni, which I now own. If you don't use an eq you will be fine. Unless you're willing to buy the magni and a seperate dac you can't do better than the fulla at that price. It's a great all in one.

magni 3 just came out, buy that and line out from your pc

Anything but this. Uncomfortable treble cannons.

Those are both under $100 USD. I'm sorry if Yuropistan prices are higher.

Not that guy but the HD558s are for sale from best buy for $79.98. I've been meaning to get a new pair of headphones, is this worth it?

Yes. Those are great headphones and were worth it when they were $150.

Thanks user, I'm gonna go ahead and pick them up

>HD650
>R70x
>LCD-2
Literally mud cannons.

HD600 neutrality master race.

They are absolutely horrible headphones. Please try and find something else. They sounded disgusting to me. I can't help you in that price range unfortunately, well, t50rps sound much nicer for a start.

Fuck, my schiit is obsolete?!
head-fi.org/threads/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up.701900/page-1629#post-13731994

>i have only tested one good headhone in my life.

LCD-3 and LCD-4 will shit on the hd600's mids and vocals

Agreed. this be t50rp territory and I'm not even a big fan of them. $100 more is monoprice/he400/sennheiser territory

>paying more money for inferior performance

what a cuck

good job outing yourself that you've never heard audeze headphones or any other high end

this
sorry for your shit taste

Never tried the LCD-2 before but the 650 are literally a muddy version of the 600. Might as well just EQ a couple db of sub bass on the 600's and have cleaner mids at the same time. That's what I do.

it doesn't matter if I heard it or not

it's objectively inferior

stay mad cuck :^D

This might be the funniest post on /hpg/ of all time. I'm a 600 fag but those headphones are literally disgusting, the only upside is the comfort. There is nothing good in that price range besides the t50rp and 702, both of which shit on that thing.

>it doesn't matter if I heard it or not
kek, of course you haven't

>t50rp
Not a 702
Treble cannons.
This guy is correct. Pic related. Neutral as fuck.

>I'm a 600 fag but those headphones are literally disgusting
now you know how TOTLs owner feel when the hd600 is talked about the one and only. I'm not saying the hd600 is bad, but there is better
see >it doesn't matter if I heard it or not
of course you haven't heard them, but you still have an opinion. stay poor and ignorant

Also, K702 is not a

>HD558
>neutral
mud cannons wew lad

>no fuckin bass
>while suggesting sennheiser

>it's another DiPolar is samefagging anti-Sennheiser posts as user episode

saying the t50rp has no bass compared to a sennheiser, why are people so fucking disingenuous? there's inexperience and then there's being actively dishonest
>everyone is a shill that disagrees with me

That guy has nothing to do with me and he seems ignorant as fuck, I'm not a part of your 600 argument so don't bring that up. I was simnply letting the other guy know that I'm a sennheiser owner, rather than a shitposter.

okay, I wasn't accusing you of anything

They're probably a little more expensive but still in a similar price range.

>and no fucking bass.

They have plenty of fucking bass. I don't even rate them much, but I'm simply stating that they shit on those sens that you recommended.

>saying the t50rp has no bass compared to a sennheiser
Objectively true. Compare innerfidelity.com/images/FostexT50RPMk3.pdf with Objectively true. There's a bazillion mods for the T50RP... mostly to give them bass they don't have.
No, you're a shitposter, clearly.

>I'm not saying the hd600 is bad, but there is better

There isn't. Headphones' performance can be measured objectively. The only headphone that is better is the ER4SR and I'm not sure if that can be called a headphone. The HD600 is heavily shilled because of its performance and it's 'cheap' enough that anyone that's an enthusiast can afford it without going into kilobuck audiophile territory.

Fair enough.

wow the sennheiser measures much better for much less money

Clearly? please expplain. I don't usually get involved with random headphones But I have actually tried thema dn they sound horrid for the price. They sound like random £40 headphones. They're comfortable and that's it. Stop acting childish because your current headphones got btfo. Buy something better.

>Objectively true
those are stock pads which are horrible flapjacks and don't seal. you've got to be kidding me, you have no idea what you are talking about LOL

>There isn't. Headphones' performance can be measured objectively.
sure can, and the hd600's don't measure that well except for FR, which isn't completely neutral so it needs to be EQ'd to neutral anyways.

here's the FR of a t50rp with shure pads and some felt

what would be a good second headphone for someone who has been using hd 650s for 5 years? something different i suppose

>and no fucking bass.
they're also uncomfortable and hard to drive, so they don't cost $150. they cost +$40 for new earpads and +$100 for an amp

HD558 are the best

FR is the most important factor for sound quality.
Something Beyerdynamic like DT770.

Complete opposite yet still good would be the 702 imo. Massive soundstage and great detail, slightly harsh treble.

Different? You mean something that's really different? K702s, K712s, DT990s, Fidelio X2s

>NAH YOU'RE WRONG THEY HAVE BASS WHEN THEY'RE MODDED
So... they have no bass. Gotcha.
Very good point. HD558 don't need an amp. T50rp do.

>slightly