Dell XPS 15

Thinking of buying the Dell XPS 15, What does Sup Forums think of this laptop?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dell_XPS_15
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I have one, best laptop I've ever owned to be honest. It is up there, in terms of quality, with the likes of the Macbook.

> Windows 10 Home is included in price

It's no macbook.

It's close but overall it still has that shit dell feel and the screen is garbage.

Got the xps13 (9360) half a year ago. Threw Deb9.1 on that bitch and its literally the best piece of tech Ive even owned.

And I own alot of tech. Literally the only thing that could be better is the network adapter, other peoples spacestation, 8kg 21inch widescreen "laptops" tend to outrank mine.

The screen is huge and sexy, keyboard is ok i guess, and its light. Pretty cool if you can live with it's quirks

Terrible webcam placement, otherwise an okay looking device.

Awesome bezels (or rather lack thereof).

But no trackpoint and no external battery so it's shit.

Keyboard is awful. Webcam placement is pants on head retarded. Otherwise, it's good.

I have XPS15-9550 and I like it. Only complain is lack of numpad.

It can run 7 just fine. ACtually DELL supports 7 on XPS15. At least on 9550 with SkyLake.

Not OP but I was thinking about buying the xps 15 too, is it true that the quality control is shit? I saw lots of people complaining about failed motherboards, bad network adapters, misaligned screens etc

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dell_XPS_15
I see it'll work with Arch Linux so I'm satisfied when it comes to OS.
I want to have it run either Arch or Windows 10 Pro (or a dual-boot)

It's pretty good if you get one without coil-whine, broken MB, broken wifi, broken screen and such.
But otherwise it's pretty decent for a plastic laptop.

Wouldn't say it's worth the money tho

Any Linux distro will work on it btw

Glad to hear.

pretty certain I actually want to purchase the XPS 15. It seems to meet my requirements and I think it'll last long enough.

>XPS 15 screen is garbage
Are you even trying?

The 4k display is the best display you can find on pretty much any consummer laptop.

A little advice:
When you buy it, you'll find out in the bios that the ssd works in raid mode. Change it to ahci, it will actually work faster. No idea why they put it in raid by default.

Also, on linux install power top and run
# powertop --auto-tune

It will enable some Linux power saving features. I'm getting around 8 - 10 hours of battery life on 50% screen brightness on the 4K version.

Great for protable use. Luxurios and sexy, is not the most powerful for its price

Thanks, That certainly helps.

I'm still open for recommendations, what would you buy?

Got one, it's great but like all ultra thin laptops the keyboard is aids.

Amazing screen, battery time is ok. Performance is great as expected.

My only complaint is that it only has 2 (two!) USB ports.

>Webcam placement is pants on head retarded.

It's a compromise they made to reduce the exterior size.
It's a 15" screen in a 14" form factor - they had to make compromises somewhere.

Unless you use your webcam a lot I really wouldn't worry.
And even if you do you could always get a dedicated webcam with a much better lens and sensor.

2 USB ports is pretty shitty, but I don't think I'll use more that often. If I do I can always connect an USB hub.

I never use my webcam, except when I have an online meeting with a client over Skype. This doesn't require high quality at all.

I really like the size of the laptop, I use my laptop quite a lot in places like the train, library or a coffeeshop. So it being portable is nice.

if you go for this screen size then yes. if you go for 13 then drop the coil whining little brother of the 15 that device will haunt you down

go 13 inch touch with gnome. comfy af